Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slung Blade
Jul 11, 2002

IN STEEL WE TRUST

14 BAR RIFF posted:

Lol so I had this huge zit between my shoulders I finally popped and felt something sharp I thought was dry skin or a scab so I grabbed it and tugged and it was a half inch long chunk of wire wheel hahaha

Those fuckers manage to get into everything, my torso usually looks like a porcupine after I'm done a project.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So the wife got me GTAV for Christmas, since I never played it on 360. Rockstar really did a hell of a job on that game. There have been a few times where I get an uncanny valley / deja vu feeling from locations in the game because they nailed the look and feel of SoCal so well.

Now to try and sleep to the sound of fireworks. Happy new year, all of you.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Oh.

Oh no.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Spent NYE with a bunch of other nerds (in a good way), now at home sipping a bit of Jim Beam, and reading a stupid forum.
Happy New Year, guys.

ilkhan posted:

When the roads are quiet and I need to do a U-turn (sometimes just because I *want* to do a U-turn), I do it with traction control turned off and generous application of throttle.
:grin:

I have to make a u-turn near my neighborhood coming home from work. When traffic is clear, there may or may not be a Crown Vic sideways near there.

IOwnCalculus posted:

So the wife got me GTAV for Christmas, since I never played it on 360. Rockstar really did a hell of a job on that game. There have been a few times where I get an uncanny valley / deja vu feeling from locations in the game because they nailed the look and feel of SoCal so well.

No poo poo, right? I only spent a couple of weeks around LA last year, but I recognize places I went, and other places from various movies and such.

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Ugh, I hate special events if I'm not picking up gratuity
I barely made any money tonight because almost 1/3 of my sales weren't tipped thanks to a stupid wristband that covered all drinks for 4 hours. Worse still, I had to tip out on $500 of alcohol that I didn't get any money for because all of my tables bought the wristbands

At least I'm nice and drunk now. And I didn't have to deal with the type of drunks that the police used to drop off like the ER was a drunk tank.

Though I did catch a guy doing blow on the toilet when I went to piss. We usually have an older, more classy clientele, so that was a surprise

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

Some crashed into a house on the next street over and drove off. Looks like the remains of a shed that was attached to the side of the house is scattered all over their yard. Happy new year to them! :toot:

bend
Dec 31, 2012

Slung Blade posted:

Those fuckers manage to get into everything, my torso usually looks like a porcupine after I'm done a project.

the missus tweezered one out of my left nipple a couple of days ago, with a comment of "Bullseye!".

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Woke up at 3am with my body trying to cough out a lung.

gently caress 2017, i'm skipping it. Wake me up in a year.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

BraveUlysses posted:

that car is sweet but is there a reason you want the DCT instead of a 6speed?

Better performance, better sound thanks to aggressive downshift rev matching every time - if you want - completely docile if you don't, better mated to the S65's ability to rev through three gears in 4 seconds and back down through five in 3, easier to live with in stop and go commuter traffic, easier to keep both hands on the wheel while doing keerazy M3 poo poo in MDM, gains launch control, and because the manual transmission on these is dull and nondescript and doesn't add as much to this car as it does in other cars with less suited alternatives. That's my guesses, but I may be biased. Driving a manual is considerably more fun in many other case, but just didn't impress me as matching the rest of this car as well as the DCT did when I was buying mine.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Happy new year, etc.

Wound up doing Uber Eats for 5 hours, since they had a $28/hour guarantee so long as you averaged 1.6 orders/hour between 5-10pm. 1.6x5=8. I managed 8 orders in that time frame. Granted, they take a big cut of it (25% :argh:), but that's $105 after their cut. Went to mom's afterwards to have dinner and get the tamales she picked up for me (which are loving awesome). Figured I'd log back into Uber Eats to try and catch a delivery or two on my way home, and...... account suspended. gently caress. I forgot they made me upload a picture of the registration sticker on my car; my registration expired at midnight (I'll have the money to renew it on Thursday, finally, just gotta make sure to keep the paperwork with me showing it has a valid inspection and that I finally got the registration block released). Have hours with GrubHub tomorrow too (they're doubling our per-trip payout, plus the usual mileage+tips), and I've started managing to get hours with Amazon again. I'm still doing serious job hunting, but I managed to make rent, should be able to get caught up on all of my bills except my car payment this month (car is 2 months behind, I should be able to be fully caught up next month, but I'll be 1 month behind after I make this payment), and a friend that works in medical billing/coding is encouraging me to go ahead and try for a certificate in it; it apparently pays pretty well, and she has amazing benefits.

So.. things are looking up for sure. If I can consistently get hours with my driving gigs and enroll in a certificate program

Had an ER visit on the 30th though, for what I thought was either DTs or a heart attack. :stonk: I still drink too much, but the doctor ran a shitton of bloodwork to rule out, well, DTs, strokes, heart issues, and blood clots. She also hit me with a small dose of ativan right away; once the nurse told me the dose I knew it wasn't enough for DTs, but it calmed me right the gently caress down and got my blood pressure to downright normal (almost too low). She said my bloodwork was "fantastic except for low sodium", one liver count was slightly elevated, and it was a combination of thinking I was in withdrawal and the low sodium that likely caused it. Jesus christ, I never want that experience again (and I KNOW I don't want the hospital bill, since the hospital isn't in-network, but apparently the doctor is). Got a couple of bags of fluids and send home with a small prescription for librium (which is commonly used for withdrawal, but also works for anxiety). Walked the half mile to a 24 hour pharmacy to get it filled, used uber to get home. I've used the librium a little today whenever I got shaky, but I know from past experience that if I was using it for severe withdrawal, I would have used the entire bottle before midnight... so not nearly in bad of shape as I thought I was. I think in a couple of days I'll be out of the (physical) rut I got myself into.

Have an appointment with my doctor on the 2nd (already had it lined up prior to this). ER doc strongly suggested I get on something stronger than a SSRI for anxiety (tried SSRIs, nope). Going to ask my doctor about Buspar (which is non-addictive) for anxiety and naltrexone for alcohol cravings. I'm going to give AA another shot, too. My drinking these days is 75% because it helps with anxiety, 25% to knock myself out at night.

Just wish I could loving sleep.

tl;dr I'm already very optimistic about 2017 being the year I finally get sober, and my financial situation has improved a bit (credit still took a big hit, but I only have a few 30 day lates at this point).
tl;dr2 sorry for the wall of text. I'm on the wired side because I only had 3 drinks on NYE vs my usual 12-15/day, and trying not to take the benzo I was prescribed until I get shaky.

meltie posted:

My 190e's lazy starting has deepened into a 15-minute stumble fest before *something* warms up properly and it's OK. I got stuck in London yesterday because of it. Replaced rotor, wires and plugs today, no better. It feels very similar to when my voltage regulator last shat the bed.

Does K-Jet use a coolant temp sensor and/or an oxygen sensor? A 1 wire oxygen sensor takes a bit to heat up, and they get flaky as they get old. A CTS that's reporting much colder than it really is until it finally warms up would really gently caress with things.

I've never worked with K-Jet though, so I have absolutely no idea how it works, just basing this on my knowledge of mid 80s+ Honda EFI.

The Door Frame posted:

Guaranteed. I already had one customer ask if I had the Uber app before ordering herself 3 drinks

Don't EVER order an Uber ride using your own account (even if it's paid with the customer's CC) for someone else. The driver gets to rate the rider, and if you get too many <4 star ratings, drivers will start cancelling on you, and eventually your account gets locked. And if they're a puker, that's generally an automatic 1 star + a big cleaning fee.

The Uber app also doesn't show you your customer rating.

ilkhan posted:

Woke up on December 31st, there's already a January chat thread. Welp.

Kinda surprised it took so long TBH, I think I've seen a couple of new month threads start with 3 days left in the month.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Woke up with a massive hangover, the last gently caress YOU from 2016.

It's not like it was unexpected, though. And a pizza, soda and a handful of painkillers works great for breakfast.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Happy New Year, nerds.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
Finished the year with a bang. Woke up on the 31st with a killer migraine and then it was all downhill from there.

Imagine the worst hangover you've ever had, except you didn't even get to have fun the night before.

Happy new year, all.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

I saw some fireworks at midnight

...it was nice.

freelop
Apr 28, 2013

Where we're going, we won't need fries to see

I was not visited by the hangover fairy which was a nice start.

My fiancé is thinking she might be pregnant (I highly doubt it) so this year could be interesting

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

Seminal Flu posted:

Happy New Year, nerds.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.
Spent NYE with the girlfriend. It was good.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I saw some fireworks at midnight

Someone that isn't me may or may not have a pretty good sized cache of fireworks. Which are a massive fine for using, or even possessing, within city limits. That rear end in a top hat probably lit a few roman candles off of their balcony too.

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I fell asleep playing "Fireworks or gun shots?" last night. Seemed like it was a solid 50/50 split.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

No new holes in my roof or car despite living in the semi-ghetto, so...

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I stayed up til midnight looking at exhaust parts, trying to put that puzzle together, then watched the neighborhood fireworks.

It was nice.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

My wife and I watched some old X-Files episodes, drank a bottle of wine, and ate like a pound of cheese last night. Today we should probably take down the christmas tree and do some laundry/house cleaning.

Rhyno posted:

Pretty basic. Get some decent beef, about a pound, cube it into 1 inch pieces, brown in a sauce pan. Dump that on a plate and throw some onions and butter into the pan and cook that poo poo up till they're limp as hell. Toss the beef back in, salt and pepper however much you like, pour a cup of beef stock in, stir it all up really well, throw in some bay leaves and crank the heat up til it boils. Let it boil for a bit, turn it down and stir the poo poo out of it again. Cover it and leave it for like an hour. Spear a piece of meat and it should be tender as poo poo now. Depending on how I feel I toss some peas or chopped celery in there after that hour. Then depending on how thick you want it you mix in one or two tablespoons of cornstarch. Turn the heat up a bit, let it cook up for another 20 minutes til the cornstarch makes the gravy thick. It should be ready to eat. I serve it over store brand egg noodles but it's great on rice as well.

Very basic but it always tastes good unless you buy lovely beef. I used a london broil from Kroger for this batch. Last year we had more guests and I was pressed for time so I bought a top round roast from Meijer and cubed it up.

Okay cool, so it's similar to beef stroganoff. I'll try it out. Thanks.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

The wife and I watched Dead Poets Society, which she'd never seen, but 15 minutes in she realized she'd watched the Bollywood adaptation. I'd forgotten how it ends, so it wasn't really an upbeat ending to 2016, but it's a decent movie and we somehow timed it so credits rolled at 11:58 PM.

We smoked cigars and drank throughout the movie.

This morning I ordered a clutch kit for the Datsun, to welcome in 2017. It's gonna be a good year.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

BraveUlysses posted:

that car is sweet but is there a reason you want the DCT instead of a 6speed?
I've driven the DCT and it truly is a fantastic transmission. Gear changes are lightning fast. I don't think it diminishes from the experience at all.

Ether Frenzy posted:

Better performance, better sound thanks to aggressive downshift rev matching every time - if you want - completely docile if you don't, better mated to the S65's ability to rev through three gears in 4 seconds and back down through five in 3, easier to live with in stop and go commuter traffic, easier to keep both hands on the wheel while doing keerazy M3 poo poo in MDM, gains launch control, and because the manual transmission on these is dull and nondescript and doesn't add as much to this car as it does in other cars with less suited alternatives. That's my guesses, but I may be biased. Driving a manual is considerably more fun in many other case, but just didn't impress me as matching the rest of this car as well as the DCT did when I was buying mine.
This is much more eloquent but basically yes. This.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Safety Dance posted:

My wife and I watched some old X-Files episodes, drank a bottle of wine, and ate like a pound of cheese last night. Today we should probably take down the christmas tree and do some laundry/house cleaning.

Okay cool, so it's similar to beef stroganoff. I'll try it out. Thanks.

Yeah pretty similar, not as much gravy though. The longer you leave it the thicker it gets and it's loving delicious the longer it cooks. I've crock-potted it before with good results but I didn't have all day to prep this time.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Powershift posted:

Woke up at 3am with my body trying to cough out a lung.

gently caress 2017, i'm skipping it. Wake me up in a year.

I've been sick since Tuesday and it's pretty awful. Doesn't seem bad enough to be the flu but I've never had a cold last this long either. gently caress 20161227 to ?.gif

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

poo poo, I didn't realise it was K-jet. gently caress that. My Saab turbo is K jet and the only way I have ever been able to make it start reliably is by putting the cold start injector on a manual push switch and by pressing it for 5 secs prior to turning it over and then playing with it for the first 30 secs until it manages to fuel itself properly enough to idle.

Yeah, they're K-jet with an early Bosch ECU for starting assistance. Mine's always been a bit rubbish to start, but it got *really* bad when it sat for a week in the rain over Christmas.

Wonder if this filthy cap - and the correspondingly carbonised rotor arm had much to do with it? ;)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Does K-Jet use a coolant temp sensor and/or an oxygen sensor? A 1 wire oxygen sensor takes a bit to heat up, and they get flaky as they get old. A CTS that's reporting much colder than it really is until it finally warms up would really gently caress with things.

I've never worked with K-Jet though, so I have absolutely no idea how it works, just basing this on my knowledge of mid 80s+ Honda EFI.

You're thinking along the right lines, no Lambdas, but it's got a CTS. I think it's more than one problem - i'll fix this no-start problem (hopefully it's the cap; look at the state of it!) then i'm going to dig into the rest of it.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Had an ER visit on the 30th though, for what I thought was either DTs or a heart attack. :stonk: I still drink too much, but the doctor ran a shitton of bloodwork to rule out, well, DTs, strokes, heart issues, and blood clots. She also hit me with a small dose of ativan right away; once the nurse told me the dose I knew it wasn't enough for DTs, but it calmed me right the gently caress down and got my blood pressure to downright normal (almost too low).

Blimey mate!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 1, 2017

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

fridge corn posted:

The first book of 2017 is The Sellout by Paul Beatty
I'm starting the year with Dark Matter by Blake Crouch that I grabbed from Dad's bookshelf when we visited for the holidays.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:master:
2017 will be off to a good start. I have a pork shoulder smoking on the grill, I've finally got enough pennies in my piggy bank to buy the E90 M3 I've been :words: about for the last couple years. I'm sorely tempted to even go full dumb and buy that red one that Enthusiast Auto Group has because it is exactly what I want in a car.
EAG has some nice cars and at times I think it may be worth their pricing if you can't find what you're looking for after a few months of serious shopping. I was close to talking with them when I was looking for my M3. I've heard mixed reviews on EAG and their willingness to haggle on the price.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

This one specifically gets my heart racing and is everything I was wanting. We do have sales tax to the tune of 6.85%. That would be about three grand, plus there will be insurance and EAG only ships in covered trailers (awesome) and is about $2200.

If the car had less than 50k miles maybe it would be a no brainer. I think that if I play the long game another can pop up and I'll be ready to buy it and spend less than $47k acquiring it.
drat that's a nice car and that price is pretty inline with what I've seen them going for, only a little high. I can't remember where you are but I'd do a fly-n-drive for that thing over having it shipped.

ExplodingSims posted:

It's officially 2017!
HAPPY NEW YEARS JERKS!
Thanks to you, Dave and Dan for the best thread I've seen in a long drat time. Bummed it didn't make it FL this year but now we have something to look forward to in 2017.

We were lazy for NYE. Some light drinking then her reading while I played video games then in bed by 9:30 or so. No fireworks or guns going off in the neighborhood which surprised me but was nice since the dogs hate fireworks.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat that's a nice car and that price is pretty inline with what I've seen them going for, only a little high. I can't remember where you are but I'd do a fly-n-drive for that thing over having it shipped

Shipping is likely the best option. I'm in Salt Lake and driving from Cincinnati through the Midwest on pilot super sports sounds like a poor life choice. Keeps the miles off and saves plane ticket/gas/lodging expense. After sleeping on it a few days after talking with him I really do want that car, but still am not ready for his price. I'm going to throw a final offer type thing in an email and leave it at that. Maybe time will pass and he will submit to it. If not it wasn't meant to be.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Galler posted:

I've been sick since Tuesday and it's pretty awful. Doesn't seem bad enough to be the flu but I've never had a cold last this long either. gently caress 20161227 to ?.gif

My wife and I both had this, it took for-loving-ever to kick.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Galler posted:

I woke up feeling like complete rear end and shooting snot rockets every time I exhaled. Took a nap a bit later, and now my throat is so sore I can barely swallow anything (sorry CSB).

Damnit.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

IOwnCalculus posted:

I think I had the same drat thing in August - Bad enough that I was off the bike for a full week, bed ridden for two and took a good month to throw it completely.

Hell, I've ridden with broken bones and colds / flu so... yeah it knocked me around and then some.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Keeps the miles off.

I still cant get my head around this concept- You buy a car to drive it, not to have it sit there and look at it. And then the argument of "It affects the resale!" comes up and it falls back to that old statement of "Keeping the mileage down on your car so its better when you sell it is kind of like not loving your girlfriend so shes tighter for the next guy"

Makes absolutely zero sense to me- The tyre bit, oh hell yeah, but not the mileage bit.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

IOwnCalculus posted:

I had this too. Caught it on a trip to the PNW. Took about 2 weeks to get rid of most of it then it lingered for another month or so. At one point I thought I was going to have it forever.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
I'm 30 but I got strep throat 2 weeks back. Swabs and everything.

gently caress 2016.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

gently caress 2016.

Last time I had strep I projective vomited on the nurse when she swabbed me. That'll teach you to stand to the side LOL

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Goober Peas posted:

Last time I had strep I projective vomited on the nurse when she swabbed me. That'll teach you to stand to the side LOL

gotta work on those reflexes. tsk tsk.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

gently caress 2016.

I last had a strep infection about 9 years ago. Unfortunately it went a bit further south than usual and infected my heart. Hell of a way to spend a weekend.

Haven't had a strep infection since! :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I used to work as a field tech in the photofinishing industry and one of our biggest clients was Walgreens.

Used to be that I had some kind of upper respiratory infection on and off from November through March or April because I'd inevitably pick something up from all of the sick people going in an out of the stores. No amount of vitamin C or hand washing ever seemed to help either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Vitamin C is grade-A bullshit, and you know better. But I agree on the handwashing.

I used to get strep, actual strep, 2x a year as a kid. Swabs, cultures, etc. But, thankfully, the last 4-5 years or so I've been strep-free. But, I woke up a few weeks ago, feeling fine the night previous, with a white throat and the worst pain. I didn't have even enough money for the co-pay on the insurance, so I quarantined myself until payday, and then went to an urgent care and got a swab done. Yep, strep, but by then it was receding.

What a blast from the past.

• Locked thread