Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I'm switching the A/V setup in my family room and the equipment is not going to be line-of-sight.

Is there a good brand of receiver that has a decent on-screen display of volume and status? Right now we go by the receiver's volume level on the front of the unit, but if that isn't viewable, there's the probability of switching from muted programming at one volume to another at a much higher volume. We can tell that now by the receiver's volume level, but if we put them out of sight, we'd need an on-screen display... any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
But it cures cancer!!!!!!!!:supaburn::pseudo: and everything else!!!

(So saith linus pauling who then proceeded to die of cancer)

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 20 hours!
I did not know that Felix Wankel was a literal nazi.

Edit: Like, He was an ardent one. Member of the NDSAP in the 20s, had a few meetings with Hitler in the late 20's, was released from prison by hitler in the 30s and joined the SS for 2 years in the 40s. :godwin:

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Jan 2, 2017

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seminal Flu posted:

I'm switching the A/V setup in my family room and the equipment is not going to be line-of-sight.

Is there a good brand of receiver that has a decent on-screen display of volume and status? Right now we go by the receiver's volume level on the front of the unit, but if that isn't viewable, there's the probability of switching from muted programming at one volume to another at a much higher volume. We can tell that now by the receiver's volume level, but if we put them out of sight, we'd need an on-screen display... any thoughts?

Something like this?

This is a bottom of the line Onkyo that's probably 4 years old. You can do everything with the remote that you can do with the front panel. The remote's IR, but I assume you have something in mind for that already.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 2, 2017

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Having my first sour beer. Holy gently caress this thing is weird.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
What style?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

[quote="Yu-Gi-Ho!" post=""467901497"]

This is a bottom of the line Onkyo that's probably 4 years old. You can do everything with the remote that you can do with the front panel. The remote's IR, but I assume you have something in mind for that already.
[/quote]

Yeah, like that. I'm using a base Yamaha and nice.Pioneer that's a few years old and neither have anything on screen through the HDMI output...

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

Having my first sour beer. Holy gently caress this thing is weird.

If weird = awesome, I agree.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

A Leipzig-style gose, apparently. Not really a fan. I'll stick to my doppel bock for tonight.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Got a Harbor Freight 80 Amp Arc welder for Christmas. So much easier to use.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Sours are very much an acquired taste but if you can acquire it they are can be amazing. I've had a few excellent ones but it's usually at a beer tasting and I often don't take good enough notes during those. I remember one was by Ommegang but I think it was a special limited release unfortunately.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

After buying an ibrik and some coffee on a whim, I've decided that Turkish coffee is now my poo poo. I brewed some before dinner (homemade French dip sandwiches with melted Jarlsberg) and another pot after. drat.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Vitamin C is grade-A bullshit, and you know better. But I agree on the handwashing.

I used to get strep, actual strep, 2x a year as a kid. Swabs, cultures, etc. But, thankfully, the last 4-5 years or so I've been strep-free. But, I woke up a few weeks ago, feeling fine the night previous, with a white throat and the worst pain. I didn't have even enough money for the co-pay on the insurance, so I quarantined myself until payday, and then went to an urgent care and got a swab done. Yep, strep, but by then it was receding.

What a blast from the past.

I had strep, wife got it...then somehow she got mono.

That was in November. She's still sick.

That said, back in East Texas for a bit. Jesus loving christ I remember why I left.

There's only one brewery! I can't even get decent loving beer. For a place full of alcoholics you'd figure by now that someone would have wised the gently caress up and would sell poo poo not labelled bud, Miller or coors but nope.

So nice to eat whataburger again though.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

A Leipzig-style gose, apparently.

If you want to give sours a chance goses aren't exactly what I'd start with, as by definition the style is both sour & salty and are definitely an acquired taste. Maybe look for a berliner weisse, they're just sour.

e: my wife is a bit of a sour fanatic and is suggesting Bell's Oarsman Ale (technically a pale ale but is slightly sour) as a beginner to the style.

Geoj fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jan 2, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I find that fruit lambics are a great way to ease into sour beers. Try a kriek (cherry), or a framboise (raspberry), though avoid ones that have fruit-syrup added prior to bottling if you want the real experience.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

cursedshitbox posted:

gotta work on those reflexes. tsk tsk.

Are you offering practice?

:laffo:

Serious talk: Strep can be passed to any mucus membrane with contact of the infection. I have a nurse friend who had a couple come in with it in both their throats and junk. It presented like Chlamydia. They got a second swab of the junk to confirm it wasn't both strep and Chlamydia.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

No Name
Piss OK Genitals intact
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

Geoj posted:

If you want to give sours a chance goses aren't exactly what I'd start with, as by definition the style is both sour & salty and are definitely an acquired taste. Maybe look for a berliner weisse, they're just sour.

e: my wife is a bit of a sour fanatic and is suggesting Bell's Oarsman Ale (technically a pale ale but is slightly sour) as a beginner to the style.

Yeah, this thing was pretty gnarly. I've heard good things about sours so this was kind of a shock. It was part of a build-a-sixer so luckily I'm not stuck with 5 more of these monsters. I'll probably give them a shot again with some tamer varieties.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Whoever recommended DOOM, thank you. What a fun game. It really reminds me of what I loved about old school N64 era shooters. Just run and gun and gently caress up some demons. None of this hyper-realistic "shoot the guys with the light grey uniforms but not the grey or light blue guys oh yeah and the background is all muted tones too. Have fun!" that so many AAA shooters have fallen into lately.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Happy New Year jerks! I all but lost my voice so I think I'll spend my day at work today speaking as little as possible.

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ferremit posted:

I still cant get my head around this concept- You buy a car to drive it, not to have it sit there and look at it. And then the argument of "It affects the resale!" comes up and it falls back to that old statement of "Keeping the mileage down on your car so its better when you sell it is kind of like not loving your girlfriend so shes tighter for the next guy"

Makes absolutely zero sense to me- The tyre bit, oh hell yeah, but not the mileage bit.

Except no time in the history of girlfriends has one ever had any resale value whatsoever regardless of the unit's fuckered-to-pieces status, since they're not, y'know, property - whereas collectable performance cars tend to have an actual, tangible resale market that is directly correlated to the relative freshness of the vehicle.

Buying a 420hp RWD machine that's on semi-slicks that costs $200 to do an oil change (if you do it yourself) (and you're definitely going to want to do at least that before driving your new $47k performance toy cross-country) (and wants oil changes every 5000 miles so you're going to be doing another one a few weeks after you get home) and then immediately adding 3.5% of the car's lifetime mileage by driving it 2000 miles at 15mpg (9 stops! 23 hours of seat time! $500 in fuel!) on the world's straightest, flattest, & most boring piece of a highway (I-80) through ice and slush and snow and bullshit is a Really Dumb Way to use a E90 M3.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

iwentdoodie posted:

I had strep, wife got it...then somehow she got mono.

That was in November. She's still sick.

That said, back in East Texas for a bit. Jesus loving christ I remember why I left.

There's only one brewery! I can't even get decent loving beer. For a place full of alcoholics you'd figure by now that someone would have wised the gently caress up and would sell poo poo not labelled bud, Miller or coors but nope.

So nice to eat whataburger again though.

I recall that being related to the State of Texas being loving terrible about getting a liquor license to bottle from.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Ether Frenzy posted:

Except no time in the history of girlfriends has one ever had any resale value whatsoever regardless of the unit's fuckered-to-pieces status, since they're not, y'know, property - whereas collectable performance cars tend to have an actual, tangible resale market that is directly correlated to the relative freshness of the vehicle.

Buying a 420hp RWD machine that's on semi-slicks that costs $200 to do an oil change (if you do it yourself) (and you're definitely going to want to do at least that before driving your new $47k performance toy cross-country) (and wants oil changes every 5000 miles so you're going to be doing another one a few weeks after you get home) and then immediately adding 3.5% of the car's lifetime mileage by driving it 2000 miles at 15mpg (9 stops! 23 hours of seat time! $500 in fuel!) on the world's straightest, flattest, & most boring piece of a highway (I-80) through ice and slush and snow and bullshit is a Really Dumb Way to use a E90 M3.

Guess you and I look at it from different perspectives- I drive a big heavy 4wd to and from work. It uses double the fuel of my better halfs Nissan Tiida, I can get 4 tyres on her car for one of mine, and they last half as long, and theres more oil in the SUMP than the entire drivetrain of most normal cars, let alone the front and rear diffs, transfer and gearbox, and thats done every 10,000kms. Its a total pointless use of the thing, cos its bitumen roads all the way to work and back, and i could do it with a $400 beater, but I didnt spend the best part of $100K on a vehicle to have it sit in my shed for weeks and weeks and weeks at a time while driving around in a miserable piece of poo poo.

Your talking bout an M3, not something actually limited edition or truely exotic here. And If i was doing something like that, Hell yeah I'd drive the fucker home. I'd wait till it wasnt the frozen arsehole of the world (or just live in a country where half of it ISNT a frozen wasteland half the year) and then take a week off work and pick a really good trip home that didnt involve line boring the highways.

But I also do 5500km drives offroad for holidays. Or drive 1000kms Adelaide to Canberra in a day for a 4 day weekend to see family.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Seminal Flu posted:

Yeah, like that. I'm using a base Yamaha and nice.Pioneer that's a few years old and neither have anything on screen through the HDMI output...

Any good, name brand receiver that handles HDMI should be able to handle that these days. This was a $250 "subwoofer + 5 speakers + receiver in a box" thing, which is very bottom tier. The speakers got thrown out immediately (LOL full range when I already owned 2 way components), but I needed a sub, and needed a receiver that could handle HDMI.

That said, if I'm using component video, I have to switch to component inputs on both the stereo and TV. In that case, no OSD at all, but this is pretty much the poverty spec Onkyo from its time - I only use those inputs for my Dreamcast, Playstation, and NES. Even if I do run the component/composite video through the receiver, it can't output them over HDMI, nor can it do OSD with them. But ... again... poverty spec receiver. I'm pretty positive that any fully featured Onkyo can do all of that, just happens . Anything higher end will be able to handle the HDMI <-> anything video and do an OSD overlay.

For the game consoles, I've found it's easier to just leave a set of cables hanging out of the TV for them. I already have an optical cable to the stereo from the TV for when I use the TV for OTA stuff.

I'm pretty surprised the Pioneer doesn't have OSD - this Onkyo is probably 4, maybe even 5, years old, and it's quite literally the lowest end full receiver that they sold at the time.

To be very specific, I have this poo poo. I only opted for the home-theater-in-a-box approach because (a) it was an actual proper receiver and (b) came with a (crappy) subwoofer. A scrub tier name brand receiver and sub would have cost what I paid for this.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jan 2, 2017

Cached Money
Apr 11, 2010

meltie posted:

My 190e's lazy starting has deepened into a 15-minute stumble fest before *something* warms up properly and it's OK. I got stuck in London yesterday because of it. Replaced rotor, wires and plugs today, no better. It feels very similar to when my voltage regulator last shat the bed.

Perhaps the one in the new alternator is poo poo, and it's compounding with an underlying K-JET/CIS starting ballache.

I'll replace the VR with the old one I rebuilt at work, find a decent dizzy cap, then I think i'm going to pay Kent Bergsma for his 2.5hr video on CIS starting troubleshooting: https://mercedessource.com/store/gas-engine-spins-won%92t-start-video-class-kent-bergsma

I started to make a list of everything i've repaired or replaced on the 190e but got a bit down about it! The amount of work i've put into it it's got to be one of the best pov-spec 190s in England...

The engine's a M102 right? Have you checked the coolant temp sensor? I heard those are a common cause of uneven operation, however this sounds like it's worse than the misfire mine has.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

IOwnCalculus posted:

My wife and I both had this, it took for-loving-ever to kick.

I was coughing up poo poo from June - late August then again from October to currently. I've been to my primary care physician and an allergist and both essentially say the same that there's nothing wrong and I just need to ride it out. Tons of fun.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Sears. Just... Sears...

"Well our computer shows this tool you want to buy is in stock at store X"
"I just came from store X! As in ten minutes ago!"

It wasn't the guy's fault there. I was upset but I emphasized I wasn't upset at him personally.

As an aside: There was a debacle a few years ago where their affiliate marketplace offered up sale of an sexually graphic piece of Nintendo fan art. That's what you end up having when nobody competent is behind the ship's wheel. (I'm amazed Nintendo didn't sue the hell out of them for that - I follow a Respondeat Superior philosophy as far as corporate stuff like that goes.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Jan 2, 2017

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Why would you go to sears? why not wait a month or two for the bankrupcy sales?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Powershift posted:

Why would you go to sears? why not wait a month or two for the bankrupcy sales?

Because I am an idiot who grew up going to Sears in the early/mid 90s when it was still a great store before it was utterly run into the ground by its Randist CEO. "Maybe THIS TIME it'll all work out ok! Maybe this time they will have some meaningful amount of products I want to buy and the store will be reasonably clean and organized!"

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

I went to Sears right before Christmas and oh my god it was bad. They literally blocked off half of the store because they didn't have merchandise to fill it. What was there was badly organized and thrown haphazardly around. There may have been 2 people working and you could tell they'd much rather be anywhere else. They literally had no televisions in the electronics department. Pretty much the only thing you could buy was badly organized clothing, appliances, tools strewn everywhere, and outdoor stuff. Oh and mattresses. Lots and lots of mattresses.

Very few shoppers inside the store despite the mall being packed.

2016 should have taken Eddie Lampert :colbert:

edit: Even their website sucks. They had an awesome sale on those ratcheting vice grip thingies and I couldn't get it to process my order. I tried 5 different browsers. At this point, I think they're just pretending to be in business.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Sears stock in 2007: $200/share
Sears stock in 2017: $9/share

They are running on fumes, they just have so much momentum from doing things like selling property and not stocking anything that they're on a slow slide.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Ether Frenzy posted:

The world's straightest, flattest, & most boring piece of a highway (I-80) through ice and slush and snow and bullshit is a Really Dumb Way to use a E90 M3.

My blanket answer is basically just that it's not Mulholland Drive between Ohio and Salt Lake. If it was then it'd be a different story.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

They are running on fumes, they just have so much momentum from doing things like selling property and not stocking anything that they're on a slow slide.

Randian policies in action :)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

Last year their CEO gave them a $400m loan aaaaaand it's gone.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Did I... ever tell you... what the definition of insanity is?

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost

Ferremit posted:

Guess you and I look at it from different perspectives
I don't think it's that different - I daily drive an M3 that had 16k miles on it when I bought it. :v:

But I also live in a place where it never rains or snows, AND all of the roads are paved materials. It's just that the route he's got has exactly the opposite weather of that right now, and also zero twisty roads of interest or in fact much of interest (unless you're from there) within ~2 hours of the route for about 1800 of the 2000 miles. I drove an '85 Volvo 240 - one of the world's finest GT cars - from NYC to LA when my wife, cat and I moved out here, and took mostly that exact route (plus) - in late summer. There are no 'better' roads going that direction, all of the midwest's interesting roads run north/south with the rivers.

Somewhat Heroic posted:

My blanket answer is basically just that it's not Mulholland Drive between Ohio and Salt Lake. If it was then it'd be a different story.

Yeah. And if it wasn't snow-lovely, Ferremit might be right - even if you couldn't burn a week vacation doing it, the M3 would crush those miles on I-80 as long as you were good at spotting cops, but that's one duulllll stretch and while that's about as good a car as you can tackle that leg of the route in, it would feel a lot like an impressively accomplished chore rather than much enjoyment. Passing struggling shitboxes as you blast up the Rockies would be fun... if you weren't battling 6" of snow while doing it.

Door to door 80 mph average between Phoenix and LA, including two stops for gas. I'd like to see a Prius do that - but still not a memorable drive aside from "I did it".

Ether Frenzy fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Jan 2, 2017

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Sears' slow slide into oblivion is painful to me. I used to buy all my tools there. Several appliances, too.
Started off the year right. Saturday, I straightened and welded back together a patio canopy for my mother in law. It was unanchored because she had the fence replaced, and then a few weeks ago, a storm came through and blew it over. Broke a few welds, and bent brackets, but didn't bend any tubing. Harbor Fright flux core welder did well welding the 1/8" brackets back to the super thin tubing. It stayed together while bolting it all up and muscling it back into place.
Then went to a NYE party with the science fiction group I belong to. Didn't get wasted, and enjoyed nerdy discussion. Then came home and played video games until 4am. New Year's Day, I went back to the mother in law's, and fixed her keyboard drawer- I bought her an IBM Model M clicky keyboard (actually, a new one made by Unicom, who bought the design, so it's USB and has the Windows keys), and it was too tall to fit. Spaced it down with some shims, and it's all good. Then went home and played through the entire single player campaign of Titanfall 2.
So, for New Years: fixing things, and video games. Works for me.

Today I guess I'll take down the Christmas lights and stuff.

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Sears was like the coolest place in the mall when I was a kid in the late 70s/early 80s. Not only did they have a cool electronics department and a cool toy department, they had cool appliance displays - like see-through dishwasher, washer, dryer models and my personal summertime favorite - window air conditioners with streamers. You could also play on their ping-pong display.

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

Three-Phase posted:

Can't wait until Craftsman becomes a Harbor Freight Tools brand. :3:

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

keykey posted:

Can't wait until Craftsman becomes a Harbor Freight Tools brand. :3:

It already is in quality.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
their ratchet bodies are pretty much the same.

fwiw horror freight sockets hold up better than my snap offs do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

CommieGIR posted:

Randian policies in action :)

Let's not pretend there's any way this company would have been saved

• Locked thread