Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
Got a Harbor Freight 80 Amp Arc welder for Christmas. So much easier to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Three-Phase posted:

Sears stock in 2007: $200/share
Sears stock in 2017: $9/share

They are running on fumes, they just have so much momentum from doing things like selling property and not stocking anything that they're on a slow slide.

Randian policies in action :)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Let's not pretend there's any way this company would have been saved

No, but Eddie Lampert didn't help. The guy is a huge Randite who got rich quick and then imagined himself a restructuring genius and, as well all discovered, his Mad Max Thunderdome management style loving sucks.

He's losing hand over fist and refuses the face the fact that the increased decline is almost entirely his fault. He could've literally done ANYTHING but what he did and Sears probably would've done way better. Hell, when he pushed to purchase Sears as controlling interest in K-Mart, K-Mart was already in decline while Target was re-imagining itself and is now doing okay.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adamhartung/2016/02/11/the-5-ways-ed-lampert-destroyed-sears/#23ad43c841de

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Jan 2, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

1500quidporsche posted:

Call me an optimist but I think not envisioning a corporate structure where each and every department has to face off against each other in a thunderdome challenge might have been enough to keep it afloat.

I'm surprised he hasn't washed his hands of the whole thing after dumping millions of his own cash into it while watching it slump further.

Adiabatic posted:

whenever im like "hey this sounds like something CommieGIR woulf say" i scroll up and 100% of the time it's CommieGIR

Well, I guess at least I'm recognizable, for better or for worse.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 3, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

He's been on my ignore list for many moons, but his posting is at least entertaining. I read 1/3 of his posts via quotes.

:(

Well, Congress just gutted the Congressional Ethics Board.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

eighty-four merc posted:

Finally got a little snow to find out if I made a horrible mistake putting oversized light truck tires on this thing.

Turns out I made the right decision.

:worship: Please tell me its a Diesel or Turbodiesel.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I have a tooth that needs a root canal. Even with dental insurance, it's not in our budget for a while.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Remember: The goal of an insurance company is to KEEP money, not pay it out.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

hate to break it to you, but those days are gone unless you want something that was dragged out of a field.

Gas motors: I won't touch if they've been sitting

Diesel motors: I generally have far better results.

the spyder posted:

It's happening!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-sells-craftsman-brand-to-stanley-black-decker-1483623215

I just lost a bet, I figured they would sell the brand off for less.

This is a sure sign that Sears is utterly hosed. Even the purchase cost won't cover their current losses. Ayn Rand strikes again!

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

why are you so fixated on repeating that over and over

Why do you guys talk about beer and cooking over and over? I wasn't aware I had to explain myself.

I'm ADHD and have a really short memory.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

i guess shouldn't expect your posts not to be bad

Jesus gently caress, if I annoy you that loving much put me on ignore and get off my case.

Its general chat, not "Only post things that BraveUlysses approves of"

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Slung Blade posted:

If it's any consolation CommieGir, I find it very interesting.

I try to discuss interesting things. I really do.

scuz posted:

Shitpoast bonanza below:

Nothing in IT is rewarding. I want out so bad and I'm not even 3 years into paying off my student loans that got me my IT degree. I can't name a job that I can get that'll pay me what I'm making now and what I'm making now is barely covering my bills.

Fake my own death? :smith:

And its only getting worse right now for IT, unfortunately. I'm moving more and more into the programming fields because Admin/Operations/Datacenter stuff is slowly evaporating, programming is really going to be the big driver for IT for the next decade or so.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

hey you could have gone to UTI and promised a 75k/yr job, only to graduate making $10 an hour with the same student debt lolllllllll.

Or DeVry, or Phoenix, or any one of those other fucks that preys upon the Military guys.

Every time I hear one of the guys in my unit say he's going to school, I fully expect to hear its Phoenix or one of them. When we used to interview interns, we generally drilled the Phoenix/DeVry/etc. guys extra hard and they almost always flopped their tech interview.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Programming's great because you inevitably get saddled with a bunch of morons who don't know how to do root cause analysis and have just voodooed their way to failure throughout the last two decades.

Holy poo poo for truth. I've had to explain to multiple guys root cause analysis and how to do it. Do they not teach this in Comp Sci? (I didn't go to school for Comp Sci, I went for Math and Physics)

I shouldn't have to show college grads how to debug. I'm the newb, not them.

fridge corn posted:

I had all four of my wisdom teeth removed under general anesthetic at hospital and the upfront cost to me was £0 :britain:

Military did mine, so it was $0 for me, but they also outsourced the job to a civilian dentist.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 5, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

scuz posted:

I don't know if this is a grass-is-greener argument but at least in programming I'll get to use some part of my creative side. I'm so bored and angry most of my days at the sysadmin desk because it's all so loving boring. My brain did not develop to "just get over it" so I just find ways to distract myself from work while it piles up.

Java is making big bucks right now, plus people are drooling all over Data Science stuff like Hadoop and NoSQL systems.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I am the first person to be hired in my company that is not a chemical engineer.

They have been writing software for 20 years.

Chemical engineers even ran their marketing department up until recently. You can imagine what the brochures were like.

Hiring people with qualifications for the work they are going to be done is apparently optional. I am criticized regularly for not knowing a masters' degree worth of ChemE but it is apparently unreasonable to expect someone to not write a 2000 line function or test changes to a shared library before committing it.

I'm looking for a way out. It ain't worth it.

I love placed that don't do QA/UAT and test driven development cycles.

cursedshitbox posted:

Yep. java pays 200k/yr here. but you'll pay 140 of that in rent. Python is in demand too.

I'm going the embedded route for reasons.

I love embedded dev. I like tiny microcontrollers.

I have a problem...

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

I graduated in 2012 with my CS degree. I can't speak for all programs but I can safely say that they never really taught me how to test software. Not a word about security either.

Security is a big one I catch a lot of programmers on, I was a Network Security Analyst for 3 years, mostly just a firewall babysitter, but some programmers have bad habits when it comes to network traffic.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

The Locator posted:

Edit: My favorite Dev response - "It works fine on my local!" :rolleyes:

Until I can pull it fresh from Trunk and build and deploy on my machine, I won't send it to QA. I may be new to this, but I'm not putting broken poo poo into circulation if I can avoid it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

mariooncrack posted:

Good on you, please don't break the build. My company has guidelines for checking in code that include not checking anything in and then leaving for the day or vacation. You should be around for at least an hour just in case you accidentally break the build.

The one time I checked in something broken, I test built from trunk and it failed, and I reverted the change to the previous branch before fixing it locally so no one could pull it.

But yeah, never build and walk. We have a little evil clown that our group passes around to whoever breaks the build, they get the clown.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Safety Dance posted:

Y'all should set up something like TravisCI or some other automagical CI service and make it build a branch and run some tests as a prerequisite to merging it into master.

We run a Jenkins test bench that builds and deploys to a server and then runs a series of automated tests against it.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Brigdh posted:

Which sounds nice, except it sounds like this doesn't prevent anyone from checking in broken code and "breaking the build". Otherwise you wouldn't have some clown party favor floating around for breaking the build.

We use Git/Gerrit primarily. You upload your code to Gerrit. You mark that you've tested it, and how. Then a teammate needs to review the change and mark that they agree. Finally a project owner reviews the change and approves it. Then the change gets pulled into our CI system for build, deploy, and test. Once it passes all of that, the change is merged. Only a project owner can directly check in code, and thats only ever used to bypass our CI for code we know will fail some test, but is an urgent fix. Such instances need to have several members of upper management approve it.

We might not test as much as we should, but no one has broken a build in the 7 years I've been around.

The automated tests are targeted against what is being checked in by the dev. Every dev has to author a test and sign off on it passing.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Oh, hey, some rear end in a top hat just shot up Fort Lauderdale airport. Way to go Florida Man.

Where is Stand Your Ground when you need it? Oh, too busy targeting the kid walking down the street.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Arduinos and ESP8266, I love microcontrollers.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

The most vocal person I know on this topic works in a hospital, so I believe this. There seems to be some pervasive idea that making entry-level jobs pay a livable wage will convince people to not go to school and learn how to do better jobs... which apparently pay fuckall more. No room for the idea that "both you and the burger flipper are underpaid by different amounts for different reasons".

If EMTs and Nurses want to get paid, they might want to ensure that people making minimum wage can afford medical care.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Goober Peas posted:

And how exactly do you propose that EMTs and Nurses do this?

Stop making argument against an increased minimum wage.....? I thought that was implied based on the post I responded to....

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Then explain it to them in a way that makes sense, instead of alienating all the people you want to agree with you by being a condescending poo poo lord about everything.

Hey, then put me on ignore. Or gently caress it, since apparently I'm generally only acceptable to a minority of people, I'll just stop posting. Thanks.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
Could it be that the lack of vocal tone in being typed versus discussed vocal is what implies the 'being a prick' and not that I was ACTUALLY trying to be a prick? Or do you think I honestly talk to people like an arrogant prick all day. I'm not really condescending.

This is the third or fourth time I've been accused of being condescending, when I'm not trying to be nor trying to word it that way. I think the only reason people take it away like that is the lack of vocal intonation.

cursedshitbox posted:

You care way too much about what people think about you on an online comedy forum.

I don't really care, its just tiring to go through a general chat thread with "Man, I have you on ignore for a reason/Man you are condescending" and it gets a little old. If there was a better car forum, I'd be there already. I get I can be a broken record and discuss rather annoying topics, but I'm just trying to join the conversation.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jan 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

The left has spent the past 8 years (more, really) trying their best to include every fringe group possible while shutting out that entire demographic of working class, primarily straight white voters.

It's a huge issue and ignoring it or blaming them for being ignorant doesn't help.

I don't think this is actually true, someone can correct me, but most of the working class, primarily straight white voters shut themselves out by pretending that the GOP was going to provide labor solutions while ignoring any and all evidence that the GOP doesn't intend to support labor and unions, and almost always works against them.

I mean, how do you convince a voting bloc that is almost entirely sure that: Immigrants are stealing their jobs, Unions are an evil communist movement, and that cutting taxes for the wealthy will trickle down jobs? How do you present facts and evidence to a voting bloc that has entirely abandoned any willingness to judge by fact and evidence instead of populist ideals? Should we keep trying for them? Sure. Will we get them? Probably not.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meltie posted:

I like cars

In a car sub-forum? That's shocking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

But its socially acceptable because the right are a bunch of deplorables. </I-wish-that-was-sarcasm-but-your-loving-presidential-candidate-said-that-poo poo>

It was a stupid thing to say.

But not really feeling as guilty about it the closer we get the 20th and the more his Cabinet picks look like something that would make Goebbels proud.

ilkhan posted:

I was working retail at min wage when obamacare went in. The only thing it got me was an hours cut from ≈30 to a "don't you ever loving go over" hard limit of 25.

Ah, so you have an employer that loves loving you up the rear end to maintain a bottom line to feed the pocket of upper management. Got it. Thanks, Obama.

Seriously, why are you blaming Obama and the ACA Act for employers dicking workers because they want to avoid any and all risks of having to provide benefits or get you anywhere near a promotion to keep you at minimum wage. Without minimum wage, you'd be working for way less and they'd still probably be cutting your hours to avoid hitting an arbitrary minimum that would qualify you for advancement or further pay. Your problem is your employer, not the government.

For example: Congress is renewing a very old rule where they can lower Federal Employees wages to $1 a day to dick with people that don't agree with them (Climate Scientists, Women's Health/Rights workers, etc.). I'm sure that this is the party with your labor rights in their best interest.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jan 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Yet there's no evidence that people in Seattle have been negatively affected by the increase in minimum wage.

Just because you made your order on a terminal doesn't mean that person isn't employed there any more.

And there is multiple first world nations who raised their minimum wages and enacted Universal Healthcare and, shockingly, didn't disappear into a cloud of massive inflation.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

I don't blame the employer, because I'd be doing the same thing in their shoes. The rules changed, they made changes to game the new rules. Obama taking action when you know the consequences are going to suck for the people you claim to be helping is... brilliant?

So you are okay with paying dirt wages, despite the fact that the vast majority of retail and service industry position have to be filled and most often are filled by middle aged adults. Hmmmm....
Again, why is social progress like minimum wage increases and a living wage considered punishment by Obama and not a greedy corporation that largely gives large percentage of its profits and revenue directly to bonuses and income for what is really the largest revenue sinks: the CEOs and the top management.

I don't think you actually grasp which party actually benefits labor if this is what you are concerned with.

ilkhan posted:

And no. I left, and got a career that paid a shitload better with real benefits, etc. Because retail/min wage is supposed to be a short term job, not a living wage career.

Bootstraps.txt. Also, Trump's gonna bring the jobs back, right?

ilkhan posted:

As much as the left throws around "FYGM", their own motto is "gently caress yours, taking mine". Which is just as greedy, and not nearly as honest.

Ah, so you enjoy the benefits of a civilization, but want to contribute nothing to ensuring its stable. Got it. Those damned dirty poors taking your money while working two jobs. Look, if you are going to bitch about taxes supporting poverty level workers and then turn around and say "I totally understand where companies are coming from, I was undeserving of a worthwhile wage" then you probably need to look at yourself hard in the mirror. You are the death of the Middle Class.

cursedshitbox posted:

How about we all learn more math and science and get off this rock?

Please. Like now. Because we're loving this one up bad.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jan 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
I love that Capitalism is supposed to be great but gutting the low/middle income completely ignores who largely makes up the purchasing power of a consumer oriented country.

Capitalism is great. When its regulated. But ilkhan still thinks that there is some magic ladder to climb out of poverty because of his anecdotal experience.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

rdb posted:

I drove my car (well truck) to a new place today. Florida! 10 hours of hellish frozen roads and morons through KY, TN and AL.

At least you got through before the freeze tonight. People are going to be panicking.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Enourmo posted:

From literally day 1 it never was:

I love that they sell the idea that everyone who works retail/fast food/service industry will, mysteriously, move on to better things. And that all these jobs can be filled by teens and college kids.

In a country that is almost entirely service industry driven now.

meltie posted:

I learnt last year that the real problem in snow isn't your competence; it's the dangerous idiots you're sharing the road with

e: also, crikey, even 2x worn snow tyres are absolutely amazing compared to the typical cheap all-seasons people have

:agreed: I worry about driving 30 miles to the office every day that someone is going to kill me on i-85 and i-285. Its notorious for being dangerous as hell. I've never had an accident since I started driving, but I just know someone will get me eventually. I'd rather ride MARTA into the city, but the nearest station is half-way to the office.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jan 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

meltie posted:

I guess this is a pretty euro question, but, could you live closer?

I could, but I build Audis as a hobby, and that's rather frowned upon downtown. And our public transportation is poo poo. We have an awesome light rail system, but it doesn't stretch out to the suburbs. And the for-profit system that runs locally in my county's answer is to just add more buses.

We bought our house this far to avoid Homeowners Associations and annoying rules.

rdb posted:

The rain was starting to freeze to the trees between Birmingham and Montgomery.

Despite this, I watched some rear end in a newish Ford Edge camp in the left lane doing 62 next to a semi for at least 20 miles. It ended when he brake checked the car behind him and people started going by on the right. What a great time and shining example of humanity.

I do worry about the ice, I don't think salt trucks exist this far south. And we drive home on Sunday.

Be safe dude. Yeah, no salt/sand trucks south of Tennessee.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ilkhan posted:

Someone can understand why people do things without believing they'll be in that position, you know. In other situations it's called empathy. *If* I was in their shoes I'd do the same thing. I don't for a minute believe I will ever be in that position.

And yet you do not empathize with low income workers, choosing instead to go "I bootstrapped myself out of that, why can't everyone do that. If they can't they don't deserve a livable wage"

meltie posted:

Hmmmm. I'm gonna guess you're in... Fayetteville?

Dacula (Lawrenceville)

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah but that's a perception problem because whites are by and large always the highest percentage of those who collect social benefits because they obviously make up the majority of the population.

Yeah, that's the fun part: The largest collectors and beneficiaries of social programs are poor whites. And they generally vote for people who are vocally against those programs.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Buy a newer safer car to commute in if you can afford it. It's one of the reasons I went from two older cars (96 and 97) to a newer one (2012). The amount of wrecks around here (urban FL) are ridiculous and I wanted my son to be in a safe car.

I bought one. For my wife and kid. When the wife finally got her license, I got her a Volvo XC70 with all the options, curtain airbags, etc. She loves it

I'm not getting into car payments right now for myself. My cars work, and I have a great driving safety record. I also can't afford car repairs I can't do myself. I can do everything to my Audis and my wife's Volvo.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Jan 7, 2017

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

cursedshitbox posted:

I grew up around people that didnt believe in STEM. Needless to say, They arent my loving family any longer Religion or "big brother" isnt even a loving valid god damned excuse. . I'd hope that the posters here have some cognitive ability to realize STEM is infact a real thing. Otherwise, IOC please ban me now. I have no loving reason to be here anymore.

Liberal? lolllllll. I'm for neither party.

You know how I feel about STEM.

1500quidporsche posted:

This all of this. Like it or not, globalization and free trade has absolutely hosed the lower middle class and nobody on the left seems to have a solution to that much less give a single gently caress. I can see how people have basically had almost everything stripped away from them and then are told they are too privileged for benefits or a helping hand get cynical and distrusting of the side that constantly brow beats them.

How is isolationism going to make this better? Like companies are suddenly going to grow a heart and pay a worthwhile wage if we shut the borders? The solution is a living wage, that' it. the problem is companies spending more than 5-10% of their total revenue on upper management salaries. Its usually more than R&D and Marketing get combined.

We KNOW the solution to the problem. The reason this won't happen has already been posted: lovely Protestant Work Ethics enforced by a generation that had a ladder they could climb from the bottom, a ladder that is now burned and gone in favor of boosting revenue at the costs of employees salaries and benefits.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 7, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Or as the case may be, they'd be even more broken. :v:

GermanCars.txt

• Locked thread