Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Its only 4:39pm here in Australia (the middle bit). You guys are starting to take the piss out of this early thread business.

Ive got a Chicken on my new smoker... Redgum chunks going into the firebox at random intervals. Will be very interesting to see how it turns out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Keeps the miles off.

I still cant get my head around this concept- You buy a car to drive it, not to have it sit there and look at it. And then the argument of "It affects the resale!" comes up and it falls back to that old statement of "Keeping the mileage down on your car so its better when you sell it is kind of like not loving your girlfriend so shes tighter for the next guy"

Makes absolutely zero sense to me- The tyre bit, oh hell yeah, but not the mileage bit.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

Except no time in the history of girlfriends has one ever had any resale value whatsoever regardless of the unit's fuckered-to-pieces status, since they're not, y'know, property - whereas collectable performance cars tend to have an actual, tangible resale market that is directly correlated to the relative freshness of the vehicle.

Buying a 420hp RWD machine that's on semi-slicks that costs $200 to do an oil change (if you do it yourself) (and you're definitely going to want to do at least that before driving your new $47k performance toy cross-country) (and wants oil changes every 5000 miles so you're going to be doing another one a few weeks after you get home) and then immediately adding 3.5% of the car's lifetime mileage by driving it 2000 miles at 15mpg (9 stops! 23 hours of seat time! $500 in fuel!) on the world's straightest, flattest, & most boring piece of a highway (I-80) through ice and slush and snow and bullshit is a Really Dumb Way to use a E90 M3.

Guess you and I look at it from different perspectives- I drive a big heavy 4wd to and from work. It uses double the fuel of my better halfs Nissan Tiida, I can get 4 tyres on her car for one of mine, and they last half as long, and theres more oil in the SUMP than the entire drivetrain of most normal cars, let alone the front and rear diffs, transfer and gearbox, and thats done every 10,000kms. Its a total pointless use of the thing, cos its bitumen roads all the way to work and back, and i could do it with a $400 beater, but I didnt spend the best part of $100K on a vehicle to have it sit in my shed for weeks and weeks and weeks at a time while driving around in a miserable piece of poo poo.

Your talking bout an M3, not something actually limited edition or truely exotic here. And If i was doing something like that, Hell yeah I'd drive the fucker home. I'd wait till it wasnt the frozen arsehole of the world (or just live in a country where half of it ISNT a frozen wasteland half the year) and then take a week off work and pick a really good trip home that didnt involve line boring the highways.

But I also do 5500km drives offroad for holidays. Or drive 1000kms Adelaide to Canberra in a day for a 4 day weekend to see family.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Holy poo poo I thought I got hosed over hard being paid 25 Australian Pesos an hr to run into a bushfire and put it out, but $10 an hr to be a god drat paramedic? gently caress me!

For comparison, our state government owned Ambulance service pays its Basic ambulance officers AU$43K-53K a year (US$31,372-38,668) and a paramedic gets AU$61K-74K a year (US$44,505-53,990) and THEYRE considered god awfully underpaid over here!

Poor white people voting for the groups who try their hardest to gently caress em over is exactly like the outback and regional areas here in Australia ALWAYS voting Liberal/National, despite the fact that the Libs/Nats are relentlessly trying to cut services to the bush because they're so expensive and gently caress over the people out on the land. BUT THEY ALWAYS VOTE FOR THEM!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Except with the missus on casual and me on 38hrs a week and 25 peso's, we've been able to afford to buy a house?

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Powershift posted:

Yeah, but the house is in australia.

You can buy houses in the unihabitable parts of the states for 50 grand, too.

Theres nothing wrong with Adelaide. :colbert:

The fact its not Sydney or Melbourne just reinforces the point.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Powershift posted:

Nothing? how was the weather yesterday? :allears:

Perfect. I told work to get hosed on sitting in a fire truck all day in case something happened and spent my entire day either in the AC or floating in the spa with beer.

40 degrees means all other work i should have been doing was on hold!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Powershift posted:

Yeah, well to regular human beings, it means "oh, it's a nice balmy OH MY GOD IS THE SUN GETTING CLOSER? IT FEELS LIKE IT'S GETTING CLOSER"

It beats the poo poo out of "Its Minus two billion degrees and theres a windchill and the ground is frozen and the snow is 80 feet deep and I cant feel my organs but i have to change my brake pads" weather.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Even if you dont double pay your mortgage, paying above minimum payment saves you an absolute BOMB in interest your not paying.

I think with our $350K/30 year mortgage if we manage to pay an extra $200 a fortnight off it, it saves us about $100K in interest and knock 10 years off the period of the mortgage.

$100K in your pocket is worth the extra $400 a month!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

My mums still rocking my original white
Core2 duo MacBook from 2004. It's on it's 2nd battery but still chugging along.

Apples new fetish with soldering everything to the board is why I'm still hanging onto my old 2012 MacBook Pro because it's the last one before the Retina display but I can still upgrade the ram and removed the optical drive to run twin HDD's in it.

In other news, some days I hate working in a place the public can access. Last week we had a solenoid on one of our picnic areas jam on and not turn the sprinklers off. So we dug that mess up cos it was 600mm underground for SOME REASON, and got it fixed. The over the weekend some shitheel jumped out temp fencing, grabbed a brick from the dirt pile from the hole and threw it in and smashed the pipe, flooding the whole area. Then we found that the isolation valve didn't close off properly so we had to dig that out to replace it. And that's when we found that the tee off the 1200kpa 4" main line wasn't a glued joint from a previous half arsed repair and it blew out.

Replacing one solenoid has turned into an entire weeks job and a trench that would impress a western front soldier.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Say what you want about apples hardware robustness but I just dropped my iPhone 6s in a gravel workshop yard and my coworker ran over it with a 3.5T bobcat.

hosed the case and added some nice scratches to the back but it's still perfectly fine and working! Didn't even break the screen or screen protector!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Pineapple on a pizza is awesome.

Pineapple on a Pizza is garbage and terrible.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Considering the new official president of the US, Im willing to offer sanctuary to any US goon who knows how to lay pavers cos i've just been told by the bank that I have to finish drawing down my construction loan by the middle of Feb and that includes laying about 150m2 of pavers. Brick pavers...

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Im cleaning out my shed to get the slab poured into it. Ive been VERY careful not to pile too much poo poo into it and its still taken me two days and 3 10x5 tandem trailer loads to move it all out!

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Urrrgh.... So the AC threads in the archives, because obviously its a frozen wasteland in most of the places you lot live, but downunder its loving horrible at the moment and of COURSE the better halfs AC decides to take a poo poo right about now.

Its a 2007 Nissan Tiida (aka the versa) but with a 1.8 twincam and 6 speed manual. Got a weird failure mode- Turn the AC on with the engine idling, pressures are just about perfect and the AC cools down. Doesnt get as cold as it should for having good pressures but will pump 10 deg C air out on a 35 degree day.

Apply ANY throttle at all and the compressor starts to cut out, then cut back in, but as soon as it kicks back in it jumps to 350-400psi and kicks back out again as the high pressure shutoff does its thing.

Any ideas what the hell is wrong with it? The missus is starting to get a bit over having a car thats hotter inside than it is outside.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Both fans are running when its pulling these shenanigans- The low side does start to pull down like normal, but the high side shoots right up and the compressor kicks out before anything can stabilise.

As soon as you let it go back to idle it kicks back in and runs normally again too

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Fretting and worrying about things and not being able to sleep?

I'd like to know how Moffat can write such horrific storylines for Dr Who, yet turn around and smash it out of the park while simultaneously mind loving you with "Sherlock"

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

slothrop posted:

What up worry buddy :same:

I wish there was a healthy way to turn my brain off at the end of the day

Mines cos about 3 months ago my missus had a pilonidal sinus cut out and we thought it was all good. And in the last three days it's become painful and inflamed and started to weep evil again. If it's failed then it's surgery again, with another 6-8 week recovery period again.

I'm worried cos I've got about 4 more weeks before my mortgage goes from a construction loan to a normal loan and we have to start to pay principal as well as interest and the repayment goes up. Missus is a contract teacher and no work = no money and if she can't work for 6-8 weeks then my wage alone won't cover both the mortgage payment and fuel to get to work and back.

And that's not taking into account the bills. Here's hoping it's just an infection or something and not a new sinus forming, cos it's killing me seeing her in so much pain and being so worried and anxious about it.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

I'd like to pretend that AU isnt well on its way to trump grade idiocy in politics, but then I see the race to the bottom between the two main parties that all the loving boomers keep voting into power and I just want to drink myself to death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007

Powershift posted:

I don't think even Trump wants offshore rape camps for boat people

I cant argue with that....

• Locked thread