Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

TWSS posted:

WOO! Happy New Year from the only time zone that matters!

Non-sense, it is 9:23PM on the best coast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

cursedshitbox posted:

and this is why I pay through the nose for insurance. hard, hard, hard lessons like this learned over the years. Your insurance company should be doing the fighting, not you. If *you're* doing their job, why did you hire them to begin with?

Yeah, all I care about with my insurance company is if I get paid. I used to have firemans fund before they exited CA and they were loving great. They paid fast and they paid a lot. Apparently they are 100% lovely to their non-insured by them parties. That was never a factor to me.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

The walmart items will have some clue like a different model number. They will have a different upc. If the upc is the same, it is probably the same.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Well, looks like FCA pulled a dieselgate. RIP everything but jeep.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Modus Man posted:

Jeep and Ram are the only 2 diesels they have, I think jeep might be in trouble too unless they say it's only on the big diesels

It includes RAM. It is 100,000+ vehicles, which is way less than VW, but FCA also has way less cash than VW did.
Also, if they did it on the big ones, they may have done it in the small ones in europe.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

All for free? Wow!

Edit: I am possibly going to buy a non running car that is in Canada for $600. I don't intend to tag or register the car in the US, what headaches could I expect to encounter moving it here? Transportation is already handled.

Does it have fmvss stickers?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Joe Biden was generally always one of the poorest senators (this means he was merely upper middle class). He didn't take the train to DC because he thought it was good press -- he couldn't afford two loving houses with one in DC.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

funny Star Wars parody posted:

cops are more trained in shooting their guns than they are trained in deescalating various scenarios

shockingly this leads to them being jumpy and shooty

This is true, but remember that cops are notoriously poor shots.
The biggest issue with police training is it all seems designed to scare the poo poo out of officers about everyone (except other cops.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

fridge corn posted:

Chocolate has its time and place but honestly I'm not a huge fan

Wow, another bad opinion.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Goober Peas posted:

My parents are firmly convinced that if we did things like we did from 1948 - 1963 the world would be a better place. And they're quite salty about everything else.

So they miss overt racism?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

If that was true, the hippies would have stayed hippies. Instead, the surfer dudes of the 60's are the ones yelling for the dogs to be unleashed on the Millenial rabble. There's much more at work here than simply echo chamber

There were not that many "real" hippies. This is not really a no true scotsman thing. There were a bunch of people who protested the war (because they didn't want to go), and there were a whole bunch of people who liked pot, music, and sex. However, really truly lefty hippism wasn't really as widespread as people think and was a small fraction of the population, mostly at or around universities. Remember that most of the boomers weren't actually going to UC Berkeley or whatevee, but were working some blue collar job in Iowa or some poo poo with a high school diploma.

My mother seems to reject having been a hippy, though all of her college friends (well, the ones she talks to) were and both she and them are all liberal as hell. She went to UC Santa Cruz and Berkeley and became a professor (though STEM), so there's some selection bias there.

The 60s were a weird time as far as I can tell. My grandfather was a retired marine officer (landing crafts in the pacific), grew up on a farm in Idaho, a cow scientist, and a stoic, german guy. He was offended by people's park and made it well enough known that Reagan tried to have him fired (and failed) because he didn't toe the party line like they did at Berkeley. He also refused to join the local golf club, because they wouldn't let Japanese-Americans join. He was by no meaning of the word a hippy, but he was out there pissing people off by doing the right thing. He considered himself conservative, but he also hated racism, sexism, homophobia, wasn't terrified of government programs, and most importantly thought that shooting students was dumb as gently caress. Before all that he was recruited to be a dean or something at Texas A&M. Me thinks he either wouldn't have lasted long or Texas A&M would be way different. He also wasn't a fan of college athletics costing money

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CommieGIR posted:

Perry didn't even know that DoE was mostly Research and Nuclear Fuels/Weapons.

He's a moron, I'm not holding up my hopes for a guy that got a D in 'Meats Class' in college.

My grandfather was recuited to be like a dean or something at Texas a&m and was an animal scientist. He decided to stay in California, for which I am thankful.
On the other hand, he didn't suffer fools and probably would have failed rick perry, saving us from this national nightmare.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

No mods, no masters.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

Well poo poo just took a turn.

I just had a visit from the police about my friend's death. Lots of uncomfortable questions. So I guess I'm a suspect?

Serious post: you need to lawyer up if they try to speak with you again. Seriously, "I'm sorry, I do not wish to speak with you without an attorney."

I'm a former criminal defense attorney who dabbled in prosecution before and now advises law enforcement agencies.

funny Star Wars parody posted:

No reason to lawyer up if they're grasping at straws
This is bad advice. That is exactly when wrongful convuctions happen.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I don't need to lawyer up.

They have connected her to a car she got into 12 hours before she died. They're trying to ID the car from bad video.

If they come back, you probably should. I kinda get paid for this poo poo and went to school and poo poo. Prison is full of innocent people who thought like you.
The best cops will pretend you're of no interest, gets people to start talking and be less defensive.

I'm not saying panic. You'll probably be fine. However, caution is warranted in this situation. Someone who is both dispassionate and knows the law will help you immensely.

nm fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 21, 2017

nm
Jan 28, 2008

^^^^^^
That sucks. Best of luck. (I am bad at expressing sympathy.)

gimpsuitjones posted:

the 3 subforums I look at are pretty good (AI, TFR, PSP). The rest are weird

I like the bicycle threads and the lawyer thread (yeah, we're assholes, but we're assholes TOGETHER.)

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CharlesM posted:

Time to make the February chat thread.

I think we should adopt the car magazine model and just start a March thread.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

So I went to get some groceries earlier today and I swore to god that I saw her. And it took me a couple beats to realize it was not her and to remember that she was dead. That shook me up pretty bad, I flagged an employee over, explained I had to leave and apologized for the items in my cart and went to my car where I cried for a bit.

I guess I was fooling myself when I said I was gonna be fine from here on out.

It may be helpful to speak to someone about this. People react to loss differently and there's no shame in talking with someone who understands the process.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Jack got his start writing as a several time banned troll on vwvortex (fourspeedfox, virgangfuch, etc). To be dair, he was the best spoken troll on the internet.
Also, TTAC jack who doug demouro is ripping off, but without the obvious right wing politics.
I was facebook friends with him for a long time (from before he was writing), but he keep going more and more right wing jackass.
His brother is less talented version on him.

Edit: Jack did auto-x a w12 passat and got it to lift a wheel, so he gets some credit for that. He's book smart and good at cars and bikes, but not a whole lot of sense.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend's father has been given 10-15 days to live. Looks like the experimental treatment is in actuality killing him faster. I don't know what I did to deserve this dogpile but I would very much like to lodge a complaint with the home office.
gently caress man, we're here for you. Well, as much as strangers on the interbutts can be.

blk posted:

She's married, not enslaved - she can walk any time, and so far all she's done is enable him.

Don't think too hard about it. It is tongue in cheek.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I am an animal lover, I love my cats and would be crushed if one died.

But somebody just equated the death of their cat with the murder of my friend and I'm pretty sure I'm going to burn their loving house down.
People are really bad at expressing sympathy (which is one reason I don't do it as much as I should), try not to take it personally, their heartsw are probably in the right place.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

cakesmith handyman posted:

It may also be the only grief reference they have, if they've never lost anyone close to themselves before. So it sounds poo poo, but they're trying.

Yeah, I've been trying to reform my own assholeness my trying to remember to "never assume malice when ignorance or stupidity will suffice." I'm not always successful, but it has brought my blood pressure down a bit.
The vast majority of people aren't really terrible assholes, they just don't realize they're being assholes, myself included.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Powershift posted:

Well, you're wrong.
I think it is true, and I work in a field (criminal law) that breeds a lot of cynicism. There are assholes out there, but most of them aren't actually trying to be assholes.
This doesn't mean they won't do bad, hosed up poo poo, but most people are less terrible than we think. We just automatically assume the worst, which coincidentally is what they're doing too. I also tie the rise in this kind of thinking to the rise of Trumpism, which seems to assume the worst of everyone (except for the Donald, of course).

This doesn't mean there aren't irredeemable sociopaths and terrible people out there, but it is a lower number than people think.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

gimpsuitjones posted:

Looks like a hosed shitbox that can only lead to regret

Sounds like the perfect AI car then.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

McTinkerson posted:

After seeing how easily Hammond could slide his 4 door Maserati around, that 929 should be a really fun daily.

Edit: It's an auto, so shift kits are $70 ( https://cobratransmission.com/shift-kit-rl4r01a-re4r01a-r4a-el-re5r01a-1105055-1)

Long cars are great for sliding. They take a bit more to get them to rotate, but once they do, it is really easy to control.
The LGT wagon in the snow was drifting in easy mode. Give it a bit of power and some countersteer and it will go exactly where you want.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

How the gently caress is the bolded part in any way shape or form legal? I cant see how it would be constitutional

Edit : Isnt citizenship supposed to be an uncontested right of entry?

It's only dual Not-US and Banned country statuses. USCs can still get in.
The green card thing is a real legal issue.

I am so loving ashamed to be an american right now.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

Emergency stay on part of King Trump's ban?

:munch:
It is a start, but only helps the few who have made it here.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

keykey posted:

I was at school all day yesterday and quite appropriately in one of my classes, the topic for creating an effective argument was how to persuade people on either side. The gist was that if your audience has an extreme view on either side, trying to persuade them is a lost cause. Conversely, if your opinion differs from either of those views, you're seen as being the other. This was a super appropriate topic as my wife is a social worker and also has worked with refugees in the past. In any case, we were laying in bed and she opens Facebook and her and her uncle had a heated facebook argument which I think is probably the lamest thing ever, but whatever. Anyway, she asked me what I thought and I honestly don't know enough about the refugee thing and I just said I don't even have an opinion. Instantly I was branded as being for the ban. Sometimes art imitates life.
If you think that discrimination based on religion or national origin are wrong, you should be against the ban.
This isn't some complex thing like health care.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Rhyno posted:

I'm just gonna make the OP a huge ad for my hot sauce.

No one's around to stop you.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

CharlesM posted:

something bad happening in Quebec :(

gently caress the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

ilkhan posted:

I've now eaten at Habit, Five Guys, and In'N'Out. I rank them in that order, with Five Guys winning by a hair on burgers but losing to Habit due to fries (Peanut oil? Who uses peanut oil to cook fries? Gave my girlfriend's kid an allergic reaction, thankfully its more a stomach ache than anaphylactic shock). Both are miles ahead of In'N'Out.

Peanut oil is the best frying oil.
As mentioned, refined peanut oil probably won't cause reactions. Five guys being laced with peanuts sure will though.
If five guys would put avocado on my burger, they'd be number 1.

• Locked thread