Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Woke up with a massive hangover, the last gently caress YOU from 2016.

It's not like it was unexpected, though. And a pizza, soda and a handful of painkillers works great for breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

rdb posted:

There is a hunter gsp9700 road force balancer on CL right now for $495. Its older but they say it works... got the itch to spend money.

I've had my wheels balanced on a GSP9700 at a local company a couple of times now. It really does get rid of those tiny vibrations the ordinary machines can't quite handle, due to tires being ever so slightly out of round.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think a few of you know Kaptain Ballistik is my IRL brother. He just announced his engagement and I couldnt be more pleased. He found the female version of a Unicorn - she puts up with the motorsport AND went to the WRC with the team ... and enjoyed it!

Lucky bastard!

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

freelop posted:

That's not how you spell beer

You misspelled whisky.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Enourmo posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure millenials would be into cars just fine if they could actually afford them like one used to be able to. The days of working a summer job to buy your Camaro SS with cash are long gone, and I think that's the biggest factor, rather than any actual shift in values.

The majority of people I know around the same age as me, just don't give a poo poo about cars. They either don't need one, because they live in a city with awesome public transport, or it's just an unavoidable annoyance to them. They have a ton of other things they would rather spend their time and money on.

I know some people who are into cars, but it's a lot less common than with previous generations.

I mostly continue driving my car simply because I love driving. It doesn't really make much logical sense, except it's very practical when I need to buy something I can't get from a shop that's nearby. But I could easily downsize to a 1.0L tiny commuter-hatch and still have that benefit, for a significant reduction in recurring costs. I hang to my large car with its old-fashioned larger than average (around here) engine, cushy suspension, leather seats, low gas mileage and typical 16 year old car issues and repair costs, because it makes me feel good to drive it.

My GF dreams about owning an Audi R8. Then again, she's from southern Germany, so that may explain it.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Jan 15, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

cakesmith handyman posted:

You misspelled whiskey

:v: I'm drinking Jim Beam white label (is that better than the regular stuff I don't know?) and my wife comes back from the kitchen with reheated pizza from yesterday and I got the munch so I made a fajita with pizza ingredients and it's the best thing ever guys you got to try it..

Isn't that just regular Jim Beam? :confused:

It's OK, nothing special. Better than Jack Daniel's, in any case.

At that price level, I prefer Bulleit.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Not so many years ago, a car = freedom.

It was your ticket to doing your own things, not having to bum rides from other people. It let you go and meet other people on your own terms.

It may just be because I moved to a bigger city with good public transport, but there are so many other options now. Either you can socialize over the internet like a goon, or you could just take the bus. Outside of the cities, you have ridesharing, carsharing all of that stuff that simply didn't exist before. Rental cars used to be rented by the day, and you had to return them to a certain destination. With modern car sharing, you just leave the car in any legal parking spot, for the next person to use.

I still like driving my car, but I can certainly feel that it's taking up less and less of my total "interest space".

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

This 9yo cask strength unchillfiltered Bunnahabhain is really doing a number on my tasty buds. I'm drinking a glass of water now, after having had a dram, and the drat water tastes salty :confused:

It's curious, but I kinda like it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

What keeps me going? My girlfriend and my friends, mostly.

Were it not for them, I would probably just stay in front of my PC, watching TV shows and Youtube.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

fridge corn posted:

Holy poo poo which one of you is this lol http://facebook.com/profile.php?=73322363

That's meeeee :D

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Is this what being doxxed feels like? :ohdear:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That's odd...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

bolind posted:

Knead until you can't feel your arms

Greatest purchase ever, if you like baking:

:smug:

My favorite dough is:

375ml water mixed with ~8g of dry yeast and 1/2 tbsp sugar, let sit for a couple of minutes. Mix 500g flour with 2/3rds tbsp salt. Add half of that to the water/yeast mixture and mix together gently into a lumpy paste, don't overwork it. Add a splash of olive oil. Let that mixture sit for half an hour with a cloth over it. Take the resulting yucky-looking stringy mousse and mix in the rest of the flour.

Once it's decently combined, start kneading like a madman (or turn on your fancy electric mixer) and knead the gently caress out of it. Seriously, like 15 minutes if kneading by hand. Lightly add flour as needed. The dough should end up smooth and elastic and not too sticky.

Coat the dough with olive oil, cover it and let it sit for at least an hour.

Remove cover, punch down dough, knead it, reshape into a ball, then coat with olive oil, cover and let rest again for at least 30 minutes.

Done, and it's the best pizza dough I've ever been able to make at home.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

The recipe calls for 400g ordinary flour (preferably bread flour, high in protein) and 100g tipo 00 flour, if you have it. It's an old-fashioned recipe, from before whole grains became A Thing, but I'm sure you could replace 100g or so.

I bake on an ~8kg, 8mm thick slab of steel, preheated for an additional ~30 minutes after the oven reaches 250°C. I broke 3 or 4 pizza stones before I got this massive beauty, and I highly recommend getting one.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

No Bosch can compare to a Kenwood.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Wolfsbane posted:

I don't normally bother proofing yeast, does it make much difference?

I don't think it's strictly necessary any more, with modern dry yeast. I still do it however, and it doesn't seem to hurt it any.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

And people thought they wouldn't actually do it...

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/193/text

Jay-sus fookin kroist.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

To be "fair", that same bill has been introduced multiple times before, without going anywhere.

But with Trump and the republicans fully in power, it has a non-zero chance of passing this time.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

They sure aren't wasting any time.

https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/586/text?r=13

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I've done the overnight dough a couple of times, but never over multiple days. I'll have to give that a shot.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

DJ Commie posted:

I may or may not have forced posters not black enough and Contraband to drink malt liquor whilst underage.

:ohdear:

You MONSTER!

You could at least have forced them to drink something tasty.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Layoffs are coming next week, and according to my boss, the 31st and 1st are going to be "very rough days".

:ohdear:

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

Taboo, the BBC TV series with Tom Hardy as a man who returns to Britain after twelve years in Africa, right around end of the war with the United States. Good stuff, and it's only on its third episode, so you can get in from the start :)

Jonathan Pryce is amazing (as always) as the chairman of the East India Company.

E: Recommended because I love gritty historical fiction, and this is about as gritty as it gets (without the ridiculous sex+violence excesses of HBO).

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 14:47 on Jan 24, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I just opened my bottle of Scapa Skiren single malt whisky, that I bought for ~$25 the other day (normal price is ~$60), and wow!

I was expecting it to be OK, but this is drat good stuff. It's got this absolutely wonderful crisp green apple thing going on that I'm just completely in love with. drat good stuff.

And I have to say, I love the modern style of the bottle and box, as well. None of this over-wrought tartan "Scottish heritage" bullshit that a lot of other distilleries like to wrap themselves in. Just nice and simple.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

funny Star Wars parody posted:

i like to hang out with people that arent annoying

so far i stick to hanging with my wife or by myself. since my mum passed i dont feel like hanging out with anyone and i really just want to be left alone, idk.

pretty much the only person that doesnt bother me is my wife and sometimes my brother. it's nice to not have to make smalltalk around people when i have nothing of value to say other than SHOOT THAT loving TRACER or commenting on how dumb these idiots on the bachelor are

I was like that for years.

Then I reconnected with some old friends and made some new ones at the same time.

Coincidentally, I had absolutely no luck in dating while I was bitter and by myself, but only a few months after I started hanging out with friends again, I met the most wonderful lady, and we've been together 6 months now.

The most important thing is that you've got to find friends that don't make it feel like a chore to hang out together.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

It's been said that AC/DC basically only know one song, but they're drat good at it.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

RIP John Hurt.

I can't remember a single performance of his that wasn't absolutely stellar.

slothrop posted:

Pretty sure they get the water to cool the stills from a WWII bomb crater too - they're very close to Glasgow. Their entry level (Classic?) a few years ago was hot garbage but they seem to have realised that and replaced it. Threewood is the best I've tried from them.

Try the Glendronach 12 if you haven't already.

A local supermarket had Talisker 57° North on sale for $30. It's usually at least $100 around here, so I went and bought a bottle as quickly as I could. Can't wait to taste the "volcano of flavor".

(They're already popping up on our local Craigslist equivalent, priced at $60 firm :ssh:)

I've also recently found an SMWS bottling of Cragganmore, which was distilled on December 19th 1985, the day before my birthday. It was bottled in 2015 at 29 years old, and it cost $140, which is the same price I'm paying now. It's expensive, but I seriously doubt I will ever be able to find a bottle distilled on my actual birthday, so this is as close as I'm ever going to get, certainly at anything even approaching a reasonable price.

I'll be saving it for either my 40th or 50th birthday.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jan 28, 2017

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Self-tanning cream?

Badly-fitted suits?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Screw political bullshit, I'm currently steeping some raisins in cheap vodka ($9, of which $6 is taxes :lol:) and in a couple of days I'll add a few cinnamon sticks and let it steep for a few more days. It'll probably get a tablespoon of honey as well.

I can hardly wait to taste it :)

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Jan 30, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Coincidentally, this is also my reaction when people ask me how I like my whisk(e)y.

• Locked thread