Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Crustashio posted:

In canada they rebranded as The Source by Circuit CIty and are somehow still going around here. 5 or 6 stores locally and more throughout the province. Last time I was in one no one knew what heatshrink tubing was.

They always want to know what kind of cellphone you have because it's owned by Bell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Can you do a dynamic bead balance or something? I've always wanted to do one.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

The sprinkler system at my apartment was linked to the entire building. So when the old guy two units over on the first floor set his kitchen on fire my place got soaked.

Man, that would have been terrible at my old condo. I think the guy on the ground floor passed out drunk with the toaster oven going at least a half dozen times in the three years I was there.

It was bad enough having to sit on the lawn with the cat in the middle of the night waiting for the FD.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I think a few of you know Kaptain Ballistik is my IRL brother. He just announced his engagement and I couldnt be more pleased. He found the female version of a Unicorn - she puts up with the motorsport AND went to the WRC with the team ... and enjoyed it!

Way to go KB!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Ffffuuuuuuuck.

I still need to get my wisdom teeth yanked, which I am not looking forward to. :ohdear:

Better sooner than later, dude. Healing time goes up by a lot with every year that passes.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

It's happening!

http://www.wsj.com/articles/sears-sells-craftsman-brand-to-stanley-black-decker-1483623215

I just lost a bet, I figured they would sell the brand off for less.

I guess that's the end goal of the weird "warring factions" approach: reducing the overlap between departments makes it way easier to drop one out as a separate business unit.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

And its only getting worse right now for IT, unfortunately. I'm moving more and more into the programming fields because Admin/Operations/Datacenter stuff is slowly evaporating, programming is really going to be the big driver for IT for the next decade or so.

Programming's great because you inevitably get saddled with a bunch of morons who don't know how to do root cause analysis and have just voodooed their way to failure throughout the last two decades.

Then you do new stuff, so the "debugging by guessing" technique has a new target.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Holy poo poo for truth. I've had to explain to multiple guys root cause analysis and how to do it. Do they not teach this in Comp Sci? (I didn't go to school for Comp Sci, I went for Math and Physics)

I shouldn't have to show college grads how to debug. I'm the newb, not them.

I am the first person to be hired in my company that is not a chemical engineer.

They have been writing software for 20 years.

Chemical engineers even ran their marketing department up until recently. You can imagine what the brochures were like.

Hiring people with qualifications for the work they are going to be done is apparently optional. I am criticized regularly for not knowing a masters' degree worth of ChemE but it is apparently unreasonable to expect someone to not write a 2000 line function or test changes to a shared library before committing it.

I've been working this job for two years. In the past, I've led teams, trained technically-worse teams than this, released a bunch of stuff. They are totally unwilling to change or admit there are problems, so I'm on my way out. It's just not worth it.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 5, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
On Thursday night my older cat Smokie passed away. She was only 9, and my heart is broken :(

I miss her a lot already. She was my first cat.

It's been a bad couple of years for pets at my household.

Three-Phase posted:

Worst I ever had to do was a battery change on a Honda Fit in about 15 deg. F.

Of course that battery is probably smaller than the ones used in Power Wheels toys. I'm not kidding here. The battery is so small.

Honda loves them some tiny batteries. My Civic starts stupid fast no matter how cold it is, though.

Even if it's warm the Subaru takes a couple revs of grumbling before it kicks over.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Most of the 5-quart jugs I've seen at Walmart are labeled "Recycle your oil at Walmart!" on the printed label, so.... it's possible? But it also seems like the expense of creating a separate formula (and losing economies of scale) would eat up the savings.

I've never done a VOA but I've done plenty of UOAs on Walmart-sourced oil and it always comes out fine.

Walmart Canada used to have a great house brand of all-recycled oil. It was pretty dope because I bet you got some of the synthetics package of all the contributed oil for free, but even if not it was cheaper than hanging out behind the Mr. Lube and distracting them while you pumped out the used-oil dumpster into your filler neck.

We had a beater at the time that went through about a gallon of oil per month, so getting said oil for $10 instead of $25-44 was a big help.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Seminal Flu posted:

Of all the technical, complex stuff I do, replacing three-way light switches never fails to screw me over.

gently caress three-way light switches.

I think this is why the PO of my house just painted the three-way light switches instead of buy white ones when he went to redecorate.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

slidebite posted:

Oh my god. Without going into political chat too far, Trump just asked Robert Kennedy Jr to chair a task force into "Vaccination Safety"

An anti-vaccer talking about "debating the science" under a presidential mandate should horrify everybody, not just Americans.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/trump-asks-skeptic-to-probe-vaccine-safety-alarming-doctors-1.3235732

You don't need vaccines because urine is sterile.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Adiabatic posted:

Worst case comedy option things go to poo poo and hyperinflation occurs, and you'll be able to pay your monthly mortgage bill by working for 30 minutes at your $1000/hr job since you're a skilled worker.

Mortgages own at low interest rates. Don't pay them off early.

If hyperinflation occurs just tell the bank to suck your dick, give them the keys to your house and buy the neighbour's house cash from foreclosure for $500.

Some of my neighbours will be in trouble with even a five basis point jump in interest. My immediate neighbour is turning over three financed luxury vehicles right now for two drivers with only one working and preparing to retire.

Low interest rates are like crack cocaine to central banks or something.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jan 11, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SquirrelGrip posted:

just booked tickets to japan, going to spend two weeks at ebisu shredding tires and body panels. anyone been before?

Haven't been to Ebisu yet but have been to Japan. Eat as much as you can.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
You probably need to think about recapping that Classic pretty soon, and remove the internal battery if you haven't already. I'm already seeing like Quadra-grade machines that have burst their original batteries and it makes a helluva mess. The Classic shouldn't need a PROM battery to boot.

Also if you didn't know you can do Command-Option-X-O to boot off the internal ROM copy of System 6.x which is the only Mac that can do it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

puberty worked me over posted:

God help you if they give you a T440/T450/T460. Lenovo just keeps getting worse with each generation.

There is no way it can be worse than my W540. The wifi antenna comes loose if I put the computer in my bag so I have to carry a screwdriver with it until I can buy some Kapton tape. It's also on motherboard #3.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Hunter Harrison is out at CP Rail, who wants to take bets on whether he ends up at Amtrak?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Speaking of macs, I still have to get my Powerbook 5300 up and running for some sweet Escape Velocity action.
Good thing I lost the diagram I drew after I stopped halfway through re-celling the battery in 2011 :(

You have a Firebook? I can probably help you out with this. We should hang out again soon.

Raluek posted:

I wonder if that would run in sheepshaver. Otherwise, isn't there a Windows and OSX port of Nova?

I have a 5300ce, but the ribbon cable for the display got torn so it's just a pile of parts somewhere.
The CS is sort of infamous for bad ribbon cables. I would probably chop the head off, sell the display on eBay and then throw an external video adapter on it and use it as a lovely desktop. I have a dumpster Dell D600 that used to run in a bookshelf that way until the fan failed and it nuked something on the board.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jan 19, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SquirrelGrip posted:

my favourite car is the te27 corolla, yeah buddy

You have good taste but it's not as good as it could be. I'm thinking RA24 Celica.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

SquirrelGrip posted:

you need to consider whats on the inside, rxx engines were not good. 2tg extremely good and cool
These are good points, but if you gave me an RA24 that didn't run I would still be extremely excited.

meltie posted:

anything with TE37s on
I'm really glad you didn't wade into the microcomputer debate just now with one of your howling VMS abominations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Pre-Sky English TV news always has this horrifying found-footage quality to it.

I especially dig the giant nametag instead of onscreen graphics.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

SA22C RX-7, obviously.

Considering it was the cheapest/best vehicle on last summer's rally I'm inclined to agree. The FB would probably have done well if it didn't try to do its best impression of a gardener.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Did a little agricultural excursion, then, did it?

You probably missed the excellent Trans Mountain to Tide Water trip log.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Ouch! That's not where that goes.
Did it live, after? I think I need to know more about SweetChiliHeat.
It is still brapping around somewhere.

Darchangel posted:

Also, you really like the word "uckfay", don't you?
It was copied & pasted off another forum which has a weird word censor. I keep meaning to edit it.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Yeah you're gonna have to make a better robot now. With anti-bite protection.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

kastein posted:

god damnit row52.com is showing zero vehicles in their database, I think they need to hire ssswitch to unfuck all their code because they clearly suck at it. I want to search for broken cars drat you row52

It's worse than that, their yard display is also busted.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

Can I just catch a small break and chill the gently caress out? Found out a few months ago my wife was indeed pregnant. Last month we found out her blood sugar was way out of whack. We corrected some dietary issues and things were looking good. Thursday, she went in for a checkup and was immediately sent to a larger regional hospital. She's 33 weeks in and they baby is ready to come out. So for the last two days, she's been pumped full of steroids and not much has changed. We'll know more tomorrow, but I've got the worst feeling she won't be coming home for some time.

Good luck, buddy. I hope everything turns out for the better.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

CommieGIR posted:

Yeah, RockAuto is great but they have some weird choices in advertisements

I'm still sad that they passed on my spec work, To Swap A Timing Belt. It's not like it was cheap to hire all those Romanian prostitutes and train them to be court spectators.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

eighty-four merc posted:

Why isn't there a junkyard thread anyway? Not enough poors to keep it active?

Don't know why we don't have one. Went to the yard today in the ice and cold. It was great.

Here's the only picture I took, of the cage arrangement on an old CASCAR Grenada that had probably spent the last several decades in a field:

No engine, but had old-school Gabriel Adjustables that were so rotten it looked like they seized.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 02:49 on Jan 23, 2017

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

DJ Commie posted:

The admins should run a script that makes anyone in AI with more than 10,000 AI posts a moderator. There's be 3 of us like the old days. Remember Toilet Duck?

I'm pretty sure I'd be up there. I don't think I post anywhere other than AI, the various cat threads and one of the old computer threads where stern Germans discuss scanlines.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Shrugs Not Drugs posted:

Scuz, if you want a fun cheap boxy fwd 80s thing that makes a hilarious sleeper do a BP Festiva. I've researched/thought about/almost bought caravans multiple times and it's just not a good road to go down. Also it's much easier to make a Festiva fun around corners than a Caravan.

It's hard to find a Festiva nowadays dude. I assume someone is hoarding all the surviving examples, but yet I see a bunch of them end up at Pick & Pull without ever being listed on Kijiji.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
Man, I probably would have just gone to the junkyard and scored it off another car. Recycling is cool!

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Rhyno posted:

That is a thought, I may ask him if he'd hold onto it. Maybe I can sell 300 bottles of hot sauce in a week?

See what the guy with the 929 values hot sauce at.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

spog posted:

Sounds like boyo has $100-worth of car washing and chores to do.

Yeah if you run out of ideas, I have walls that need painting and fence posts that need repairing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

Coredump posted:

At this point I wonder how many hours of television and film have been made about ww2 by the US? I wonder if the rest of the world is over by now and wondering when we're gonna move on.

The US seems to like it enough for a reboot.

But seriously there's probably more hours of footage on WWII than there were hours of WWII at this point.

• Locked thread