Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Rhyno posted:

Isn't the failure rate on RC's stupidly high? My dad had his tooth extracted and then had an implant put in and it was less than the cost of the RC. Is it a visible tooth or a molar?

Depends on how good the dentist it. If they miss some of the smaller off shoot roots or leave some of the root behind then it will probably fail and if you don't mind the drilling for a pillar then an implant is a viable option over a RC and Crown.

I also have one impacted wisdom tooth that they want to remove but right now it is not bothering me and the cost + recovery to remove something that has not caused any issues for over 20 years doesn't seem to add up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Geoj posted:

At this point I'm not certain how this company (Erie Insurance) is still in business.

By giving people the run around until they accept a low ball offer.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

scuz posted:

I don't know if this is a grass-is-greener argument but at least in programming I'll get to use some part of my creative side. I'm so bored and angry most of my days at the sysadmin desk because it's all so loving boring. My brain did not develop to "just get over it" so I just find ways to distract myself from work while it piles up.

I made the swap from IT to Product Dev last year and it made me much happier. If you have an opportunity then take it since IT is soul destroying.

Car related:

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-fiatchrysler-usa-idUSKBN14S0WL

FCA invest in a new Jeep plant. When questioned about the brands such as Dodge and Chrysler the spokesperson responded with "the what now?".

BigPaddy fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Jan 9, 2017

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

If it meets a certain spec it meets the spec. It is not like when a certain gold handed chain of automotive service centres put the wrong grade of oil in which caused the CEL to come on since the sensitive precious baby disabled the VVT if the oil was too thick.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Student Loans are the devil. The wife has 100k that she will never pay off because social worker but they hang over like a dark cloud. We have to file taxes separately since if we did it together they would expect her to pay thousands per month which really means I would be paying them since they would base the payment on our joint income and I make around 4 times as much as she does. Sorry to hear about your mother but it is good she was at peace before she moved on.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I made the mistake of looking around at mortgage rates and almost the second I submitted details I start getting calls. No I am not buying right now, not even this year probably not until at least April next year I just want an idea of rates. At least there seems to be a lot of choice in my price range that have large garages or space to build one. I just wish that everything was not so pushy when it comes to looking into anything. It is not going to make me want to do business with you when you bombard me with spam.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Closest thing I have had to an interaction with a cop since I arrived in the US was my driving test. In Mass they used to be done by State Troopers but now it is a civilian job. However a lot of the examiners are ex State Troopers who used to do the driving exams and when it changed they quit being State Troopers to keep doing it. So of course I get a screamer who just shouts profanity enhanced comments along with instructions. The best part was he would has a question and then immediately scream for me to not answer it. It was an interesting 7 minutes to say the least before he signed my learners permit and threw it down into the passenger footwell before a final parting shot of why was someone who knew how to drive wasting his time taking the test.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

NZ is nice but a bit remote for my tastes. Very dependent on what turned up on the ships that week unless you like lamb ;)

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Don't tell me she likes... Hershey's? With that subtle hint of vomit the kids do love so!

See! The wife doesn't believe me it has the after taste of vom.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

It's more that we're amazed you lot will go out and buy vomit chocolate

Pretty much. Cadbury's is ok but it is not as good as german or belgian chocolate.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Guy who parks next to me in the underground garage keeps leaning on the car and making scratches and dents with what I assume is the zip on his coat. Leasing office don't care so I guess I either start putting nails in the tyres or I get it all fixed and have a clear wrap put on that one panel.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Have you left a note or spoken to him about it?

I have spoken to the owner and he apologized etc... and I went to the leasing office to see if I could move my space so it was not next to a car that barely fits, the roof is about 6 inches from the ceiling. That didn't go anywhere and we are now up to scratch/dent number 5 on a 6 month old car. When brought up again it was just excuses about kids not looking and "it is tight to park down here". So not taking responsibility. I understand to most that a car is just a tool but that doesn't really excuse a lack of respect for others property.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Has there been any kerb biting yet? That was the best bit in American History X,

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

It is ok as those saddled with huge student debt will still be able to get a house with a 1% down mortgage that is only 5 points above the base rate or they could just rent like plebians I guess.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

A $1k ASD R32 GTR would be a bad idea since most have been trashed to death. A R32 GTS on the other hand will probably be find but keep in mind it has a babby RB in it. Also hope you have fun.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

I am lucky in that I have a job that is fulfilling now after removing myself from the eternal misery that is IT. I moved over to product development for a small company and it is much better. Prior to that then it was very much inertia. Now since I am making good money I have decided that I need to save for a house before I am 35, planning on purchasing around this time next year right now and getting enough money saved now for retirement which understandably is a bit of a mental step when you are in your early 30's and thinking about making sure you have enough money in your 60's so you are not working as a greeter in Walmart.

I have taken some risks to get to this point, moved 4000 miles from home and changed the area that I work in but I am happier for it but there are points when it could have gone badly wrong and you just have to learn from those. Best example was about 6 months into living in the US I burnt my arm pretty badly while cooking and to my commie British mind I paid no heed to getting into an ambulance and taking me off to ER to have it looked at. Of course when the bills started coming in I had to wonder if I would have been better off just getting the bus to the hospital :v:

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

scuz posted:

Instead of weeping and moaning about my lovely IT career, I've decided that in order to have more money and not be miserable, I need to learn JavaScript, so that's what I'm doing. I'm going to code myself out of poverty, damnit.

Make sure you throw a bit of Angular, jQuery, Node and Bootstrap in with that JS and you will be able to find a decent dev job. Some people might look down on JS but it is used everywhere on the internet and in cloud applications which is where the wind is blowing right now.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Man, you wonder how some people stay in business. Seen these piggyback ECUs that I thought might be an interesting option for stuff.

Sent an email with a couple of enquiries on what they can do etc and the reply was "It is not a D I Y product. Our official dealers have the hardware and software to install it and map the chip accordingly, on a rolling road."

FFS, you could at least try and seem interested in selling me something.

"Official Dealers" means anyone who paid for the cert and usually don't have a shop of their own and just use random dynos they book time on. No joke a guy who goes around remapping 90's Nissans around London using Nistune is a school teacher who does it on weekends as a hobby... but also charges as much as most professional outfits.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The guy did blow up a few turbos... just a few...

I understand what you mean about attitude tho. One of the things that drove me away from owning imported Japanese cars in the future is lack of reputable people to do work on them beyond the basics. All the breakers are run by interesting characters to be polite and the people who make parts in the UK always seem to make cheap crap that is in a race to the bottom with Chinese crap so you end up having to buy stuff from the decent tuning companies in Japan anyway.

Won't stop me getting an R34 GTR in the future really but if you can lay out the cash for one of those you can afford to pay for decent servicing.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Not as spooky as the Haunted Capri https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pasU7f9VcM8

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Rhyno posted:

It sucks that they're so expensive.

I value my soul highly.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Wait? Goons are fat?

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Thread discussing doxxing doxxes guy reading it, irony of situation is lost.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Rhyno posted:

That gag has been around since FB went public.

The old ones are the best tho.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Seminal Flu posted:

Prolly 'cause we're in a continuous state of meltdown. Kinda like the Trump administration.

And it is only day 1

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

quote:

SEC. 10. REPEAL OF INVOLVEMENT IN UNITED NATIONS CONVENTIONS AND AGREEMENTS.

Effective on the date of the enactment of this Act, the United States will end any participation in any conventions and agreements with the United Nations and any organ, specialized agency, commission, or other formally affiliated body of the United Nations. Any remaining functions of such conventions and agreements shall not be carried out.

Time for that waterboarding++

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Olympic Mathlete posted:

Dr Who is real bad.

Production, set design, technical stuff, even talent is good... the writing tho, my god the writing is just balls.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

Bajaha posted:

The whole season 3 release date thing is such a cock tease.

Common common common, I need my fix!

We need a new multi dimensional TV episode to see what crap they improv this time.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

InitialDave posted:

Only if they're at least as good as Blackadder Goes Forth.

The most accurate depiction of WW1ever made. It has incompetent inbred generals, bitter COs who know it is all pointless and trying to get out of it since they would prefer to be shooting fruit wielding african tribes men, idiot young inbred idiots who think it is all a jolly good laugh and uneducated peasants who joined up because it was a job and not really understanding what they were going to go go through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

The Treaty of Versailles punished the German people more than it punished those at the top so created an environment for a populist leader to emerge. It didn't cause WW2 by itself but allowed certain conditions to develop. Also in WW1 Japan was an ally of those fighting Germany. However they got so stiffed in the treaty negotiations after that they felt insulted and so went on their own gently caress you got mine trip.

• Locked thread