Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

It's the AI chat thread, a place where the coolest dudes on this bad comedy website come together to rant about life, not work on their cars, and be genuinely kind and earnest to each other in dark times. Also there's dick jokes, boozechat, whatever the gently caress.

Let's talk about my bike. Got the chain and sprocket replaced and holy drat it feels like a whole new machine. Maybe when it's not dark out I'll actually be able to ride more than a mile, but now that it's not slipping in top gear I can actually ride long distances. Will this be the year that I finally stop being so fat? Probably not, but who knows!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

2017 is 23 hours away for me.

Well the January 2016 thread was kinda poo poo so I thought we'd have a do-over!

Making new chat threads early is an AI tradition at this point.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Lol

I'm getting beat down by this brutal 24 hour winter, 48 degrees is bullshit I tell you.

When I went biking earlier I had to put a hoodie on! when will the suffering end

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Stocked up on booze, I am set for the night for whatever i might feel like drinking.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cakesmith handyman posted:

Hunt him down and kill him.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

QuarkMartial posted:

I think for 2017 I am going to be an rear end in a top hat self-advocate more. Tired of trying to make nice and tiptoe around because other people are loving morons.

same, i need to speak my mind more re important school projects

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Sears?

ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

no really though gently caress that place

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ONe advantage of being alive longer: you figure out how much to drink to get pleasantly sloshed without reaching the puking poiint

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cursedshitbox posted:

I figured that out way early. The hangover point inches closer and closer to no booze though.

I didn't realize you were 80!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

slurry_curry posted:

And here I thought Mercedes dealers were supposed to be easier to deal with.....

Maybe if you weren't some Dirty Poor buying a used model instead of leasing a new one like a proper Person Of Money...

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

:catsterrist:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

As the Certified Oh Pee of this here chat thread, quit telling other people what to post about.

I highly approve of making GBS threads on Sears; them shuttering like 100 stores directly led to an influx of techs while I was working, which put the kibosh on the promotion I had previously been promised and led directly to me going back to school and getting out of that field altogether. Meanwhile, Eddie Galt Lampert bought himself a shiny new like $100M mansion down in Ft Lauderdale. I had been close to a minimal independent income, and it all got yanked away cause rich boy needed another house to not live in and yanked money from the company to do it.

Question: Why when I get a puncture is it always like 1 inch from the sidewall? I never get "oh yeah that's an easy fix", it's always "gently caress, I dunno if they'll be willing to patch that, it's pretty close." That and apparently I left both my factory lug wrench and the cross-type one I bought a while back at my mom's place, so now I'm waiting on a buddy to get here with his so I can put the spare on.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Someone posted on my facebook earlier re the shooting and I think they summed it up well: At this point I'm not even surprised or sad, it's just an annoyed feeling of "Oh, again?"

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

BraveUlysses posted:

It's plainly obvious that the notion that minimum wage jobs are temporary jobs or not careers isn't remotely true

From literally day 1 it never was:

F.D.R. posted:

In my Inaugural I laid down the simple proposition that nobody is going to starve in this country. It seems to me to be equally plain that no business which depends for existence on paying less than living wages to its workers has any right to continue in this country. By "business" I mean the whole of commerce as well as the whole of industry; by workers I mean all workers, the white collar class as well as the men in overalls; and by living wages I mean more than a bare subsistence level-I mean the wages of decent living.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

If full synthetic "makes" your engine leak, your seal(s) were already bad and it was a matter of time before whatever crud was blocking the leak got dislodged.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

clam ache posted:

Or those seals have gotten used to an oil which maybe low in certain additives. Which then gets said additives and leaks. But surely you would know all about automotive seals seeing as you own a protege which likes to leak when you look at it. If it doesn't rust to pieces first.

Jokes on you, my engine is good because I replaced all the oil seals about 15k ago.

On the junkyard engine. Because the original one died. Due to an oil leak.

Central Florida at least means no rust, though. I do need to replace a coolant elbow going to the turbo, though, it's been weeping since July. I've replaced like a liter in 6 months, so I've been lazy about it even though I have the new part.

E: currently sitting at the tire shop getting 2 new tires, because the puncture was too close to the sidewall and the other tire was 5/3/4. Which is weird since I never over inflate them and I don't run sikk camber.

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jan 8, 2017

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Tomarse posted:

I'll have you know that the current mineral oil loss via leaking seals and gaskets in all my classic vehicles is carefully calibrated and controlled.

I think 2-strokes are neat, too!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Did you ever install those shifter bushings you bought from me?

I've been so drat busy with school the last few years I haven't had time, and that's before the whole moving into an apartment thing; I have no workspace these days. They're still sitting in my toolbox, biding their time.

God I miss having even a driveway.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

ilkhan posted:

Sounds like an enourmo thing to accept.
I'd literally pull over and leave them to make it home on their own if someone did that to me. gently caress you, get out.

Replying here to not derail the other thread, but buddy, you don't know the half of it. There's a reason "friend" is in quotes in the post you're replying to.

Anyway, I was raised not to use violence/aggression to solve my problems, but lately it's been sinking in that overall I went way too far in the other direction. I literally don't know how to get mad. Well, I do, I guess more accurately I don't know how to actually channel it when appropriate, instead of just going SUPPRESS SUPPRESS SUPPRESS ad infinitum.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

whyyyyyyyyyyyy do 7:30 classes exist?

more to the point, why am I unable to sleep before them?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Is it bad that I couldn't sleep last night due to visions of World War 3 beginning?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Once had a cop to threaten to arrest me because I accidentally spun my Taurus' tires coming away from a stoplight in pouring rear end rain. I got through it keeping my hands planted on the wheel, head down and just yes-sir-no-sirring until he calmed down a little.

Cops in general need to calm the gently caress down about 900%.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Yeah I'm pretty sure millenials would be into cars just fine if they could actually afford them like one used to be able to. The days of working a summer job to buy your Camaro SS with cash are long gone, and I think that's the biggest factor, rather than any actual shift in values.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

Dragonball Z is weird as poo poo. Like, you become a great fighter and suddenly you can loving fly? How does that work?

And, like, Superman, right? How the hell does he move a planet in space when he has nothing to push against?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

He's SUPERman. That poo poo makes sense. How the hell does good at fighting lead to flying the gently caress around?

alright trap sprung

the idea is that to get good at fighting, you gotta have good control over your ki (the "power" they call it in English). Charge your ki and launch it out of your fist? that's a kamehameha.

If your control gets good enough, you can essentially shoot ki out of your feet, turning you into basically a spirit-powered rocket.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

clam ache posted:

True. I maybe should not be so hard on myself. I mean I'm 28 I take care of my family. I'm training the two new guys at work. But most days my bi-polar mind is stuck in the negative end. And it effects everything I do. gently caress it's hard to be positive and happy around my kids when many days I just wanna swallow some draino....and then two seconds later my brain wants to gently caress anything with a hole then kicks back to depression and all the other fun feelings.

I'm your age. So far, I've:

Dropped out of school
Been arrested
Been fired from steak and shake
Spent three years washing dishes
Spent two years getting a useless degree in wrenching
Utterly failed in becoming a career mechanic
Spent a little over 3 years unemployed getting another degree with a year to go, just for a career I can never be certain I'll succeed at either

You could be doing a lot worse.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

God I hate being fat. I went to the Highland games yesterday, spent a good four hours walking around a slightly hilly park with mild sun exposure (lots of trees and tents) and I feel like absolute dogshit. Hit the sack as soon as I got home, have spent most of the last 30 hours in bed, feeling exhausted, with a sore neck, headache and generally feeling bleh. (I drank 2 whole beers so it's not a hangover).

This should not have loving drained me as much as it did.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Seminal Flu posted:

How could she justify being pissed of at you? You have no control over the inner workings of the motor... and I'm sure the fine items she NEEDED to purchase at the store will still be there and she won't die before she gets to those stores to buy those fine items...

Humans are akin to robots, and behave rationally and logically at all times and under all levels of stress.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

cakesmith handyman posted:

Sounds like heat stroke dude.

I dunno, that's a pretty acute condition, and I still feel like death warmed over a good 2.5 days later, drinking plenty of water and staying cool. Plus I was never delirious or anything.

I've had some... digestive issues... crop up, so maybe it was just a bug hitting me at exactly the wrong time? Idk, all I know is I've had killer headaches, progressing to stiff/sore neck and jaw this morning. I'm already planning on skipping my redeye class tomorrow (well technically today now, but w/e).

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

At this point it's mostly spite for the motherfuckers who spent so much time tearing me down as a kid.

Yes I'm immature, don't look at me like that, I know myself.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fridge corn posted:

How about reading a good book op?

what book would you recommend for a juvenile rage ape such as myself?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Everyone is sweating they dont get blue starred

Not me! Terrible posters don't get modded.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

*touches nose*

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Ironic that Lowtax of all people is taking the tack of "I don't find this funny therefore no one else may either" considering some of the poo poo in this website's history

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Rhyno posted:

IZ SUPPOSE BE SECRET

no secrets only refuge from the impending collapse of this site

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

What do you need that much precision for, anyway? If it's borderline, it doesn't really matter if you're at 3/32 or 13/128.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Darchangel posted:

You guys are a lot less stupid than the rest of the site, and WAY less stupid than the internet as a whole.

The HELL I am!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Man, for people who thought I was full-on autistic when I was younger, my parents sure do seem to be the ones having trouble with boundaries and tact.

A normal person: "Hey Enourmo, someone gave me a total gym but I've already got one. You've talked about wanting to get in shape, you want it? No? Alright, cool, I'll ask someone else, see ya."

My dad: "Hey Enourmo, someone gave me a total gym but I've already got one. You want it? No? Alright, I'll ask your sister, I guess. I really think you should consider it, though; I know you don't like being fat (have I mentioned you're fat lately?) and I think the thing you need is exercise equipment, that's the only thing holding you back, right? I'm really concerned about your weight, you shouldn't be so big, you're almost 30 and that's when the health problems start hitting. I realize you have a bike, since I gave it to you, but wouldn't it be convenient to have another thing to store somewhere while barely using it? what's depression i don't understand, just decide to be happy and motivated and you will be!"

Like holy gently caress, I'm aware I'm fat, I look in the mirror every day, why do they feel the need to remind me and confront me about it as if it's some intervention and I'm not aware of it? Christ.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

1500quidporsche posted:

I'm trying to remain pretty level headed and sensible about the whole thing but the very obvious parallels with 1930s Germany are becoming just a tiny bit alarming at this point.

Well, at least we have the burning of the Capitol building to look forward to then!

(ATN FBI/CIA/TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: This was what's known as A Joke. Please do not send secret service to me or Lowtax's homes.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Coredump posted:

What's this do?

Withdraws us from the UN and forbids any contribution to UN military/peacekeeping missions, anywhere, for any reason.

That's bad enough, but remember we have a permanent seat on the security council, with veto power. If we leave, we lose that seat, and the veto; even if we came back later and got voted back onto the council as a regular member, we wouldn't have veto, which means we'd effectively have a massive power deficit to the remaining permanent members.

Two of whom are Russia and China.

• Locked thread