Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
At least you aren't working. Apparently New Years isn't a real holiday and I'm stuck until 1am at the earliest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

angryrobots posted:

At least one car vs pole in the wee hours is almost guaranteed. =/

Guaranteed. I already had one customer ask if I had the Uber app before ordering herself 3 drinks

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Ugh, I hate special events if I'm not picking up gratuity
I barely made any money tonight because almost 1/3 of my sales weren't tipped thanks to a stupid wristband that covered all drinks for 4 hours. Worse still, I had to tip out on $500 of alcohol that I didn't get any money for because all of my tables bought the wristbands

At least I'm nice and drunk now. And I didn't have to deal with the type of drunks that the police used to drop off like the ER was a drunk tank.

Though I did catch a guy doing blow on the toilet when I went to piss. We usually have an older, more classy clientele, so that was a surprise

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

They may not want to hear it, but they need to hear it. Especially if they want to make cars interesting for a group of people who don;t find cars interesting.

Uninteresting is the most generous way that you can describe it, I'd say "loathe" is the most accurate across my generation. The only person in my age group that I currently interact with who likes cars is my brother. I also used to have 2 coworkers who did illegal street races, but only that's a total of 3 people from the few hundred that I know in real life who have a real interest in cars.

And none of them have any interest in buying a new car as anything other than a commuting vehicle

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Enourmo posted:

Yeah I'm pretty sure millenials would be into cars just fine if they could actually afford them like one used to be able to. The days of working a summer job to buy your Camaro SS with cash are long gone, and I think that's the biggest factor, rather than any actual shift in values.

Yeah, when a car is little more than a $350 a month payment that takes you to work and limits where you can live, I can see ownership looking lovely compared to $75 a week for rideshare

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

ilkhan posted:

We've also spent that last 15 years throwing loan money at kids and screaming that college is the only way to get a good paying job.

In 10 years when the boomers retire, nobody is going to have any idea how to keep *anything* in good repair. From basic house lights to the power grid, from the fridge to any (draw) bridgel.

Hahaha, you say that like there would be money to fix power grids and bridges to begin with.
That's always been my biggest problem with any political promise to bring jobs to America. Say that there's more people moving to Detroit and Flint and the rest of the Rust Belt for all the manufacturing jobs that were magicked into existence, how the gently caress are huge quantities of materials coming in and similar volumes of products/waste coming out? There's no functional infrastructure in place to handle the massive spike in movement, and there's no plans to change that fact

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

What's kicking my rear end into gear is the simple idea that I just want to have benefits again. PTO, holiday pay, guaranteed hours, and shift differentials are so much more important than I had thought that they would be. The comfort of being able to take a day off without worrying about money is so loving important when you're sick. Plus, I'm probably going to lose my current insurance, and preexisting conditions will make getting proper coverage a lot harder than it should be
I need to be ready to get a real job with real benefits by the time that the ACA gets completely gutted, otherwise it will be too expensive to get the meds that allow me to work, or even see my psych, and that will be the end of things for a while

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Enourmo posted:

what book would you recommend for a juvenile rage ape such as myself?

About Face by David Hackworth is probably the best book I know of, but I mostly read war memoirs and bizarrely specific scientific literature

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

My biggest problem with using Macs is learning the terminology and how obtuse they made relatively basic tools. Give me basic access to a Windows style control panel with clearly labeled tools and I have no issue with the platform. Business practices are another story, but I don't really care since they're not what I'd even look at buying

I've got a cheapo Lenovo netbook that I use for school because it's so tiny and it has touch screen input. It's barely able to run XCOM:EW, but it works for what I need out of it. I've been going back and forth on building an actual PC for a while, but I don't want to spend a few hundred dollars on another toy that I don't need

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

What's the deal with with Honda H/F series engines? They seem to be on par with B series and better than D series, but I never hear anything about them one way or the other. Whatever the case is, complete working F22/3 engines are sometimes cheaper than blown junkyard D engines and it's really strange to me...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The B and D engines were for compact cars, F was more for the Accord, H was the Prelude engine.

F series engines are kinda gutless, but run forever - I've seen them still running well with north of 300k on them. The H is fun, but prone to oil burning (especially the last generation - usually started smoking around 100k if you didn't beat on it regularly).

An F swap into a B or D equipped chassis is on par with an H swap in difficulty (only one engine mount is different between F and H, and the F and H transaxles are interchangeable, though they do have different gearing), but you're not gaining much, if any, power (depends on the donor year); you do wind up with more power down low though, so you don't have to wind it out nearly as much. An H swap into a Civic or Integra makes for a lot of fun, but you usually have to ditch air conditioning unless you get creative (it's a really tight fit). The most powerful F sold in the US was in the 98-02 Accord LX/EX/SE, and put out a whole 150 hp/152 ft lbs.

Nobody really views the F as a performance engine; you can build them to put out some serious power, but you can spend less overall to get the same power from the H, and the H has far better aftermarket support.

Also, a B pretty much drops into a Civic; depending on the year of the engine and chassis, you can sometimes even use the stock Civic harness. An H swaps into an Accord pretty easily too, but IIRC you do have to make some wiring changes (and the ECU). You can also swap an H trans into an Accord; it's plug and play, even the automatic, and gives you better gearing at the expense of highway MPG.

They're not that much heavier than a B. But yeah, physically they're bigger, and dropping an H into a Civic or Integra is a tight fit. I've never seen an F swap in person.

Oh, ok. That makes a lot of sense, because other than a couple of very dedicated enthusiasts, my googling has turned up almost nothing on them other than just general stats. By gutless, do you mean that it doesn't want to rev, that it has no high end, or that it has too little power in general for how heavy and wide the Accord was? Because it's the F22 is basically the same as a B20z power-wise, and the LS Integra wasn't necessarily slow, just not fast

I'm hunting for an engine swap in the X1/9, and the standard answer is usually K's or B's, which are very nice engines. However, I'm not looking for power or luxury, just nice low end power for daily cruising and at least 100% more power than stock, so at least 135whp, which I think is a pretty realistic goal for a small budget. I mean, I already don't have AC or PS to worry about, no power brakes or cooling fitment worries for that matter. So if K24's are supposed to fit with "minimal" cutting, saving $2000 on a F with some H internals sounds like a hell of a deal

clam ache posted:

Because there big fat pigs of motors. And people think accord and slow. But the older f series motors can be bullet proof and allegedly handle boost well.

Especially if they're as tough as they sound. Honda SOHC engines are pretty resilient on their own, but basically the only thing I heard from the couple of enthusiasts I found is how hard you can push an F series for the surprising performance that they can get with cheap upgrades

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

All of the buproprion is out of my system and now I can once again drink a half bottle of gin before feeling legitimately drunk again. It's a very weird change and going out may have gotten much more expensive, but at least I shouldn't have to worry about seizures anymore

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

The F22/23 (not talking about the F used in the S2000, completely different engine) is just tuned more for low end power (... for a Honda) and economy more than anything else. I guess it had reasonable power for what it was - 2.3L with 150 hp/152 tq isn't terrible for a 90s engine - but the Accord, as you point out, was a pretty big car. The 2.2L in the Saturn I drive now has pretty similar power ratings, in a much lighter car, but the gearing is so much taller in the Saturn that it feels about as sluggish as the Accord did. City mileage in my Saturn is a lot better, but the Accord did better on the highway.

My 01 Accord LX would always nail 33-35 MPG on road trips, and the 98-02 was the largest car they put the F in. I managed to drive to Austin, stay almost a week (with lots of driving around), and drive back to Dallas, on a single tank - over 500 miles total on that tank, and whacked 35 MPG on the head... with the ac on and cruise set at 80-85 both ways. It probably would have been more like 36-37 if I had filled up at both ends and only counted highway miles. It was gutless, boring as hell, and literally beige, but reliable. I'm amazed at the mileage it got, especially since at 80 it was a bit over 4000 RPM if memory serves correctly.

Mine was the F23A1, which was the VTEC engine used in 98-02 Accords that weren't base models (anything above the DX and VP trim that didn't have a V6 got it - DX and VP got the non-VTEC version). It was the most boring car I've ever owned, even with the manual transmission, but it was generally hassle free. The only thing I ever did while I owned it was tires, oil changes, and a timing belt. It would randomly stall when I would clutch-in to downshift, but I never got around to trying to figure that out.

The F23A1 will probably come close to your power goal in stock trim, but I believe they added a passive immobilizer in 98 (and the F23 came out for the 98 model year), so you'd need to send the ECU off to have the immobilizer disabled. The H22 used in the last gen Prelude, on the other hand, didn't get an immobilizer until the second year of that generation, so the H22 would probably be a better candidate if you can track down a 1997 Prelude ECU and an engine from any 97+ Prelude. It also puts down a hell of a lot more power - 180-220 hp depending on year, I believe all 5th gen Prelude H22s put down 220 hp at the crank.

You could also go with the OBD1 ECU, which IIRC, will be easier to tune, and doesn't have a post-cat O2 sensor. They used the H22 VTEC as early as the 92 model year (but only on VTEC models, whereas all 97+ Preludes had VTEC). I don't think much really changed on Honda engines when they went from OBD1 to OBD2 - I know on the D series, they added an intake air temp sensor and a knock sensor for 96+, with all other sensors remaining the same. There's plenty of OBD2 <-> OBD1 conversions out there too, but it's been a really long time since I played Honda Legos. I have NO clue what tuning options are out there these days, last time I looked into HondaLegos, Hondata was the big name. Honda 4 cylinders of that era relied on MAP instead of MAF though, so the ECU can adapt pretty easily to pretty much anything that doesn't require adjusting VTEC crossover, larger injectors, or boost.

e: also, the only stock B series that'll give you the WHP you're looking for is a B18C1 (94-01 Integra GSR, 170hp/128tq @ crank) or B18C5 (195hp/130tq, hard to find as in the US, it was only sold in the Type R). B18C1 or H22 would be my personal choices, just depends on how much you want to wind it out. You're going to lose quite a bit through the transmission, as you know.
e2: it uses a transverse/transaxle setup, right?

I wish I could grab an F22C, but for that price, I'd be better off with a K engine that's roughly the same size and mates to a usable 6 speed. The car I'd like to toss it in is a 65whp roadster that's barely 2100lbs. It's currently got the stock, fuel injected, 1.5L transverse iron block, SOHC that it shares with the 128 sedan in it. Even the much larger Honda engine should end up being a bit of weight shaved off when it's all said and done.

I'm not aiming for it to hit 135whp on stock engines, I'm just aiming to hit that number as cheaply as possible. I don't mind peeling the ULEV sticker off an F22b1, throwing in a new cam, stiffer valve springs, bigger injectors, new bearings, and getting a cheap programmable ECU to actually use the power that the engine really should have. Save for actually tuning the new setup, that whole thing will still cost about the same as a good condition H22 and significantly less than a good B18C, or any K series.
I was really excited about finding such a cheap solution to my challenge, but taking another look at the numbers, those second gear ratios really do look kinda lovely on all of the H/F transmissions. It's similar gearing to what's in my Civic DX, which isn't a super attractive driving experience. However, the other 4 gears in F18/F20 transmissions look as close to my Fiat's stock ratios as I can get in a SOHC engine, so I still like them as candidates, even with that blemish. Bonus points to the JDM Preludes and Euro Accords for having a helical LSD option

E: I've viewed most of the OBDII deleters much the same way I view those who are proud of deleting the brake booster, but OBDI actually makes tuning easier? Wouldn't you want as much data as you can reasonably gather?

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jan 21, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I have been hoodwinked into being driven by the woman who gave me panic attacks every time I got in a car with her. I'm going to kill my girlfriend...

InitialDave posted:

How about a front cut from a Ford Focus? The 2.0 Zetec will make that number out the box and isn't overly heavy, about 250lbs or so I believe. Well supported with parts and durable.

No, you see, because it's just like what Wikileaks does and

I'm not super keen on duratechs after dealing with fragile plastic cooling components that would make BMW blush, but if I see a cheap SVT motor around, I would be excited to snap up that aggressive 6 speed. Same goes for a Suzuki G13BB and the Celica ZZ engine that I can never remember the name of. The G13BB breaks the low end rule, but it's a 1.3L that competes with engines almost double the displacement, which I find extremely amusing. And the low end can be fixed by liberal application of boost later, if need be

I've never driven a car without at least one OD gear before and the 2.0 Zetec/sigma duratech apparently only goes to 1:1 in 6th. Cool!

clam ache posted:

I have a spare f22b2 motor that needs a head rebuild that could be yours for cheap. And your in Chicago and I am by ohare in case you are interested.

What do you mean by head rebuild, because that sounds like quite the offer...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

clam ache posted:

It had a bad head gasket. So I pulled the head had the head cleaned in a parts cleaner put a new head gasket on. And then dumb 20 year old me got the timing off. And on first start crank crank crank crank. Then checked compression and down to 75 on three cylinders. If your interested we can talk a price.

Hmmm, warping sounds less good. Shouldn't compression be closer to 150?

InitialDave posted:

Clerks 2, er, too.

If that's the ST gearbox we got, it's a three-shaft design like VAG used in some cars (Getrag I believe), so you have to be careful of people conflating the gear ratios, as in effect half of them have a different final drive ratio. Yes, sixth is itself an almost direct drive, but it's direct drive into a 2.9 final drive, not a 4.2 FD like the identical-ratio fourth gear is. It's "really" something like a 0.75:1 ratio in that sense.

Ohhh, that's much less exciting...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

clam ache posted:

No the valves are what are looking compression. Its loosing it on 2 and 4 the worst. I also have it apart and haven't touched it in maybe 3 years so who knows now. Offer still stands.

Oh, well that's way easier to deal with than a warped head. Mileage? I don't have PM's, but shoot me an email. I'm zoabdy at gmail dot com

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CharlesM posted:

The Chicago pizza place near me closed :(

You poor soul... it needs to have a bizarre Italian name and be run by a tiny, creepily thin Italian man for me to go. The only exception I make is for Paisan's, because they have the sweetest sauces

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

We call that assault...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

funny Star Wars parody posted:

if you dont play with friends then yeah it's dumb

but playing with friends and dunking on tryhard nerds is so satisfying

Also, don't play Tracer unless you can headshot well, it's real frustrating to blow an entire magazine and not kill an enemy. Try Mei or Anna, they have very consistent damage and will teach you exactly how much health enemies have. And Mei is a monster truck that walks like a man

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I'm welding! :science:
These are my first few attempts ever

I'm loving terrible!!!! And I'm going to weld a new bung onto my exhaust and fabricate some basic mounts in my engine compartment :downs:

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

I'm in the same place as you welding, just started learning, I need more scrap metal to learn on.

I have a big bag of nails that I'm playing with, but it's just really hard to see what I'm doing with that dark screen in front of my eyes

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CommieGIR posted:

Same, I have an old 1950s welding mask with a flip down eye visor. I need to go buy an auto-darkening helmet.

I have a cheap mask off of amazon, but I've taken to working with a blinding spotlight on whenever I weld. An auto darkening helmet sounds wonderful

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

blk posted:

What's with this #freemelania bs? I have as much sympathy for her as I do Eva Braun. She's a liar, a plagiarist and fully complicit in the destruction of our country.

She's married to a monster with NPD, and her getting left behind mixed with her defensive, appeasement smile during the inauguration won her a lot of sympathy. Mine included
My girlfriend's mother has BPD and it makes life miserable for everyone, I can't imagine how much NPD must suck to live with

E: also with the executive orders, this is a huge, unprecedented power grab and non of the "small government" evangelists are willing to do anything about it now that the guy writing them has an (R) instead of a (D) next to his name on C-Span

The Door Frame fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Jan 25, 2017

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

My girlfriend's father has been given 10-15 days to live. Looks like the experimental treatment is in actuality killing him faster. I don't know what I did to deserve this dogpile but I would very much like to lodge a complaint with the home office.

loving hell man, that's some heavy poo poo heaped on you. I'm sorry.
How's everyone in the homestead taking the news?

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Rhyno posted:

I am an animal lover, I love my cats and would be crushed if one died.

But somebody just equated the death of their cat with the murder of my friend and I'm pretty sure I'm going to burn their loving house down.

nm posted:

People are really bad at expressing sympathy (which is one reason I don't do it as much as I should), try not to take it personally, their heartsw are probably in the right place.

cakesmith handyman posted:

It may also be the only grief reference they have, if they've never lost anyone close to themselves before. So it sounds poo poo, but they're trying.

You could also be talking to an aspie, like me, who legitimately cannot understand the concept of grief.
When I console the grieving I try to be nothing more than a stable, stoic presence. A lot of that stoicism is out of fear of making things worse due to my ignorance, but I do genuinely want to help those in need...

That fear came about after I saw my best friend at in the casket during his wake(family had a private funeral). Bummed about the private service, a few of our friends resolved throw a party in his honor. He was joyful man who had lost one too many fights with depression, it made sense that his memory would be best honored by making people happy. When I asked another of my friends to come to the party, she asked what the gently caress was wrong with me... I couldn't answer her and the look of disgust she gave me has been burned into my skull forever. I don't verbalize much with the bereaved anymore

Fake Edit: This might help someone, maybe? After typing the first thing out and reading it back, I feel compelled to also share this more recent story. Spoiler tags to try to hide the creeping existential dread
One of my childhood friends, who I grew up next door too and was like a sister to me, recently died choking in her sleep from seizures. My response to the news wasn't sadness, it was a flat, "what did you expect to happen to someone who has a poorly controlled seizure disorder?" I was instead annoyed that she wasn't admitted to the hospital for observation due to recurrent grand mal seizures when that is the most prudent reaction to her remission. It was an easily preventable death if her neurologist had her admitted or she had listened to her neurologist in general.
I went to be with her family. A man and a woman who helped raise me, cried to me about how much they missed their daughter. I got drunk with her brother, who took care of me while my brother was in Iraq. He just thanked me for being there and stared off into space after a while. The entire day I spent with them, all I could think about was how guilty I felt to not be sad. I didn't miss her when everyone else did.
At the funeral a day or two later, I couldn't figure out why people were crying. She had been dead a while, people already had time to cry and get the sadness out of their systems. Now was the time to celebrate the life she shared with us, but still everyone else was sad. I felt so completely alienated, I couldn't feel the basic human emotions that a church full of people did. Even after her grieving father had held me, and cried into my chest about how he'd miss his beautiful little girl, I only ever felt bad because I didn't feel bad about my friend's death when everyone else did.

Even now I feel pangs of guilt for not ever being sad about the death of the loved one. It's a selfishness in the face of tragedy that I don't want, and dwelling on that thought just makes the guilt worse because I can't manage an ounce of empathy for people who are basically family. That image of the indomitable man, who towered so high in my memories, sobbing into my shirt while I can't even manage to understand why he's crying is loving grim...

cakesmith handyman posted:

The thousands of people you encounter who aren't assholes never register on your radar. Confirmation bias? Either way, remember everyone is a person with a life and they were once a child and they're probably scared of the unknown and don't know what they're doing with their life.

Also that whole "we judge ourselves by our intentions but others by their actions" thing. No doubt something you've done and can perfectly justify to yourself has had an rear end in a top hat-like effect on someone else and now they think you're an rear end in a top hat.

I'll bastardize a MiB quote on this one: "A person is good, people are terrible." Humans as a whole are awful to one another, but I'd say that the majority of individuals try to help one another.
Intentional or not, you can't deny that it's a global butterfly effect of lovely repercussions as we all try to ensure the wellbeing of our own friends and family. Resources must be obtained, people need to move, food needs to be grown, water needs to be purified, waste must be removed, services must be compensated, goods must be exchanged; people must consume to live. No matter how hard you try, due to the scale that humanity operates upon, the act of a person consuming anything will make the world worse in some way for another person

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Adiabatic posted:

Yo the world needs strong and stoic people to break down around. Your memory of your friend's dad towering high is the way a majority of people view you. Keep on doing what you're doing and certainly don't feel bad about it.

This one joke I heard years ago about manly men who are stoic as a defining feature really stuck in my craw and I've been making a concerted effort to be more open and emotive, as to not be a dick. As long as some people find it comforting, I guess I can be all strong and silent it knowing that I'm making things better instead of just "not worse." Although not feeling guilty will probably take years of therapy haha...

I don't remember where or when I came across it, but it's from a much larger piece about toxic masculinity and what it means to be a man in a society that no longer needs "men" as they were defined in the early 20th century. The jist of the joke is "The manliest of men across all cultures have 5 defining characteristics, they're physically strong, they are stoic and wise, they protect those they care about, they have an iron will, and finally they're providers. Imagine if that's all that defined you as a person, now imagine interacting with that on an emotional level. You'd have better chances to find out what the wall is feeling. By most rights the "manliest of men" aren't even people, a tree fills all of those criteria better than any actual human can, and will probably end up being a more emotionally available father or husband than self proclaimed "manly men"."

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Tide posted:

There are certainly worse things to be defined as a person than physically and mentally strong, providing for and protecting loved ones, and being determined in your life. The flip side is you get todays fuckfaces that need safe spaces that cannot handle confrontation or adversity without whining and lashing out like a 9 year old girl with a skinned knee.

As with all things, there needs to be a balance. Maybe I'm old fashioned and not at all fit for the world and the way its going but as the patriarch, if that is you (generally speaking here, not YOU you), then, yeah, you should have or develop certain traits to be THE foundation of the family. That's just the way it is. Men like to be around other men; women like to be around other men.

I mean, lets break it down:
they're physically strong - a good thing. Typically it means they're healthy, fit.
they are stoic and wise - another good thing. They're smart; dependable.
they protect those they care about - how is this bad? pretty self explanatory
they have an iron will - eh, not so much this, I'll concede. You need to be flexible and not 'ITS MAH WAY OR THE HIGHWAY'
they're providers - oof. Completely terrible to be a provider for your family

That contention in what it means to be a man was the whole point of it, really. Men once needed to be strong to fight in battle and do manual labor, wise to be the leader of their household or their country, etcetera, etcetera. Technology, education, and medicine make the concept of the Patriarch obsolete.
Why would a gun care about gender? What makes a man more capable of piloting drones? Why should exclusively men lead their country? What makes a man more valuable as a researcher, or a driver, or an electrician? What makes a woman less valuable to an assembly line, a shipping vessel, or a construction crew?

What does it mean to be a man when everything that society understands as "being a man" stops being exclusive to men? It's a question without an answer, and that won't have an answer for a long time.

The being "replaceable by an inanimate object" part just really got under my skin, personally, and made me change from how I used to be largely silent and emotionally distant. Now I'm just soft-spoken instead

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Darchangel posted:

Are you welding stick, wire or MIG?
I don't think the auto-darkening helmets get dark enough for stick, but I could be wrong. I haven't welded stick since high school - and discovering MIG. The Harbor Freight auto-darkening helmet is adequate.

Flux core, so I guess stick welding

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

InitialDave posted:

Wire fed? Well, it's basically the same as MIG, and yes, auto-darkening is nice to have.

Actual gas-shield MIG is quite a lot nicer to use (unless it's windy), though.

Oh, I thought it meant that it also does MIG welding, not that it's equivalent. Good to know!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

You should see the shitbox I'm trying to resurrect, that Mazda would be considered pristine

Yeah, my project car aspires to one day be considered a shitbox. If the worst thing that you can say is that the owner's a slob, you're in good shape

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

On one hand, I hate insomnia. On the other hand, the inability to sleep for multiple days let's me get a bunch of random poo poo done that would be normally difficult to find time for.

I've burned through 2 spools of flux core wire so far and I think that despite not being confident enough to do anything related to structural strength, I can do very basic fab work that is embarrassingly ugly. I really need to get an angle grinder or something, I have more slag to clean up than I have Dremel cutoff wheels left

Speaking of which, slag is much hotter than I expected. I was being lazy and left a catch basin full of coolant under the exhaust pipes I was working on. Halfway through attaching a new O2 sensor bung, I noticed that I was holding an arc generating tool and standing in a giant puddle. The slag was so hot that despite only a little bit of it falling into inches of ice cold coolant, it still melted holes in the basin and flooded my garage. Lesson learned...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Good luck with that one. Tomcat spray is loving vile and it is impossible to get the smell out of any fabric it comes near. Tomcat urine is almost as bad, but after a half dozen washes, it starts to fade

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2017/jan/28/federal-judge-stays-deportations-trump-muslim-executive-order?CMP=fb_gu
At least the people who were detained are getting let go... can't wait to see how this goes. I'm awaiting another "someone rid me of this damned priest" moments, like he did against the last judge who disagreed with him

I want someone to tell me how a 20% tariff makes Mexico pay for anything, or is even allowed under NAFTA

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Oh Jesus Christ, I didn't hear that part of it, I thought they were just being turned away.

And here I thought that we couldn't get much less popular after Iraq, but here we go making all kinds of friends for literally no benefit. At least in Iraq there was the promise of oil and increased regional stability

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

Stephen Bannon is also on the National Security Council now

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

The most memorable punishments are the creative ones. I got grounded a million times as kid and I learned to live with it, but I will always remember doing yard work in 103º heat while hungover

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

So Spyder's kid does yardwork after chugging a bottle of Rhyno's hot sauce?

I'm not saying yes, but yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

There's a Whoopi joke somewhere, but I don't know what it is...

I would go as far as to say that the first instance of group sex is pretty awkward afterwards, regardless of who participates

• Locked thread