Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I drunk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Innovate and disrupt are two of the stupidest words that are thrown around

Borders and RadioShack didn't fail because they weren't innovative, they failed because they absolutely refused to shift their strategy (or pivot, another dumb buzzword) to something that met their customers demands

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

this makes me wonder what the gently caress was going on at my old 600sqft flat because my heat and electric bills are virtually the same if not cheaper and my current house is 2100sqft

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Let's be honest things are going to be a lot better for all us white males but it will suck to be anything else

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cursedshitbox posted:

You can go eat my dick.

oh yeah I can't say that anymore huh. well gently caress.

It sucks and I look forward to nuclear vaporization

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Joys of an old parent. Home on vacation, sitting watching TV and my mom gets up then falls back down shaking.

Took her BP, 71/39 and hr of 39-40. Sister freaking the gently caress out, trying to get me to drive her to the ER, which is 40 miles away cause lol USA health system.

Ambulance takes 20m to show, because they get dispatched from 15 miles away (and are run by a county 45m away) and my sister rides with her.

I beat the ambulance to the hospital by almost 30 minutes.

loving love this place. Before they even started to stabilize her I had to find her insurance card and pay her copay (thankfully she even has insurance now, because of the ACA) and then they finally even started her vitals and a screening.

How the gently caress am I the youngest in the family but somehow the most composed when anything at all happens?

To be fair aren't you in the military and as such know how to handle high stress situations?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

So how do truck tires work compared to car tires? Are there summer v winter tires, or is it all All-Season? What are good tires to get? What if my penis is small and I want to let the world know?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

If I could afford one of those big fuckoff turbo diesel trucks I would get one simply because I'd have more than enough power for whatever I want to do and it will also survive longer than 6 or 7 Subarus would

Of course all the coal idiots ruined them and then cranked the prices to insanity for a 10 y/o truck with 300,000 miles on it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I paid my student loans off recently thanks to my mum. She always felt awful that I had a massive student loan and she wasn't able to help, and one of our last conversations was about how she was at least glad that she'd be able to take care of that when she passed and she was glad that I wouldn't be paying $3000/month for 2 years to pay them off on my own

It's bittersweet :saddowns:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Genuinely good thing by your mum and good for you on being responsible. That is a huge kick start on making the life of your family into a prosperous one. That is truly a great way to honor your mum.

yeah it's loving insane how huge of a kickstart this is for us. suddenly we can pay double payments on our mortgage and have a fully funded emergency fund. we've never been able to spend money without thinking "hmm it's this or some groceries which is more important" so it's going to be a whole new world for us

it's such a huge blessing i can't even begin to describe it

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

double payments might be going a bit overboard, you might just be better off saving most of that money or starting to contribute more of your pretax wages to a 401k, especially if your employer offers matching contributions and you aren't already taking them.

Yeah that's probably a good idea. I'm gonna calculate how much a 15y mortgage would be per month then just pay that instead since paying off the house is the last debt good ole Dave Ramsey says to do

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

TT that is pretty awesome and money is cool but can we get some doggo pics already?

Here he is after shredding my couch while I was sleeping

Only reason I didn't murder him is because I got that couch at a garage sale for $30

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Make sure there's not an early payoff penalty first. If there is, you may want to look into refinancing, and compare the refi cost to the early payoff.

Now that your student loans are gone, you may be able to get a lower APR anyway, just give it a month or two to update across your credit files.

That was a really awesome thing that your mom did for you.

Yeah :3: and there is no early repayment penalty so I technically could have dumped the money into that instead, but my mortgage is a 3.25% rate with 3% APR and my student loans are 8% :rip:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Unless you and your wife's household income is enough to qualify for the alternative minimum tax, I would definitely use the money for investment instead of paying down your mortgage. With the mortgage interest tax deduction and 3.25% APR, you'll see way better returns. Obviously past performance /= future gains etc etc but index funds will put you in a waaaaay better position given a normal steady rise in the market, even if you only realize your mortgage interest of 3.25%/yr.

Worst case comedy option things go to poo poo and hyperinflation occurs, and you'll be able to pay your monthly mortgage bill by working for 30 minutes at your $1000/hr job since you're a skilled worker.

Mortgages own at low interest rates. Don't pay them off early.

eh idk, i'm not sure if that tax benefit is better than freeing up $1500/month to put into a mutual fund that will on average give me a 12% return. I should probably go see an accountant or financial adviser of some sort

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

QFT. If you're doing decent enough that you're worrying about tax benefits vs paying stuff off, you need a good CPA and a financial advisor. Those can be the same person (sometimes), they could be different people (recommended). But you need someone familiar with your local laws.

Ramsey has a lot of solid advice, but he's not your advisor, and he's not familiar with your local stuff. Therefore, has no legal responsibility for any advice that may or may not work for you.

Yeah exactly that. My brother is pretty lucky because he didnt have student loans (because he got an internship that paid a shitload of money) so he is planning on tossing a good chunk of it into different mutual funds for the next 40 years

the number the calculators spat out after 40 years of returns and adding $x/month was :stonk:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

lmao first off mutual funds aren't going to give you an average of 12% annually omfg. Maybe on an odd year in a bull market but long-term you'll see much lower, and fees will dig into that regardless.

second freeing up $1500/mo is only after you've taken money you already have and disappeared it. What I'm saying is if an investment performs at 3.25% (your mort interest) you're better off having the money in investments instead of paying off your mort because of the mort interest tax deduction. Since investments are gonna be better, on average, historically, long term, than 3.25% that's even more ammo going towards taking all that $$ and investing it instead of paying off the mort.

If you get a financial advisor the absolute biggest thing you need to do to safeguard your money is get him to sign a piece of paper claiming a fiduciary duty to you. It's important that the term "fiduciary duty" be used. There are a LOT of "financial advisor" crooks out there looking for regular folks with windfalls they can fee the poo poo out of.

I see i have a lot of reading to do :eng99:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Adiabatic posted:

Gonna keep my head down, do my job, make my resume as attractive as possible, and apply for the silver fern program if things get lovely.

I'm banking on "he's all talk and nothing incredibly horrible is actually gonna happen, this is exactly like holding your investments in a depression" but gently caress if I ain't got a backup plan.

ha me and my wife are doing the very same thing

she's more and more comfortable with the idea of living somewhere that is actually nice and if bringing her mum along to live with us is what gets me the gently caress out of here then i'll build her a very nice suite in my beautiful home in new zealand

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm nowhere near TT's position financially (and won't be for a long time), but I'm genuinely curious how you find a good local advisor and CPA.

I'm extremely lucky in that my father has been a CPA since the mid 1970s, was partner for a long time in one of the largest firms in my hometown, then went solo, then joined up with another firm that one of his former partners works in, and is slowly winding his own personal involvement down (and selling his clients off to the partnership he's currently in - he has no desire to be partner again). I'm able to use him for advice so long as I'm in Texas. But I don't plan to remain in Texas, and I know he's very close to retirement (he turned 70 in December). He's very much tied up in my hometown and doesn't really talk to many people outside of there, aside from being a professional witness as a CVA.

tl;dr how do you find a good financial advisor and CPA? It doesn't seem like something you can just head over to Yelp for. Especially when you're in a metro area that makes up over a dozen counties and includes part of another state (DFW MSA is 20 counties and includes part of a county in Oklahoma). Also, what are fees like?

dave ramsey has a site that lists people in areas that he personally backs (ie they have "the heart of a teacher and will go over everything with you" etc), which is what I was going to try out. Otherwise yeah here in detroit there seems to be a small run down building with NAMEY MCNAMENSTEIN, CPA on just about every corner

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

1500quidporsche posted:

I don't know the rules in the US but up here any sort of double payment is principal only.

I don't necessarily disagree with your thinking but you also have to assume that mortgage rates aren't going to remain at 3% either and that has to factor into your decision, but everybody ignores that side of the equation. I'm already thinking/budgeting on the idea we're going to be seeing a 4-5% interest rate two or three years from now, but with Trump it's anybody's guess what the hell happens.

my dad just refinanced yesterday to go from 8.25 to 4.25, so if the rates have climbed by 1% since i got my mortgage in September, i can only imagine what it's going to look like in a year

also yes any extra payment i pay, at least on my mortgage, goes straight to the principal

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i think it can be undisputed fact that the dumbest people itt are either me or fridgecorn

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

x

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jan 19, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Goddamn cat got out. Spent an hour looking for him while the temp was dropping. Came back to put some food out for him and saw his stupid rear end sitting across the road under a tree.

Stupid sopping wet bastard.

He might be sopping wet from my tears as I had a minor breakdown when I couldn't find him.

i know that feel

luckily the only time i'm able to push past the pain of cardio is when i'm tearing rear end down the street going after my dog in my bare feet in 25F weather

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

If they let him drive his corvette around as vice president and president, he probably would have ran and won against trump saving us all from nuclear annihilation.

YOU SHOULD HAVE LET HIM DRIVE HIS CORVETTE, JERKS! :argh:

He didn't want to because he had just lost his son and it was all too much

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Rhyno posted:

Just found out one of my best friends that I had fallen out with was shot to death on Wednesday.

Jesus what even is your life

Sorry to hear man :rip:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cops are more trained in shooting their guns than they are trained in deescalating various scenarios

shockingly this leads to them being jumpy and shooty

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

i continue to look forward to the eventual civil uprising against our brutish oppressors

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I remember when I was living in Melbourne and when the butter was out on the counter it melted into a puddle. Australia is slightly closer to the sun than any other country.

for some reason i thought that you lived in Utah

if you do then what the heck took you to australia?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

I do, and I did! I was in Australia from August 2004 to August 2006 (Tassie and Melbourne; specifically the CBD/western suburbs in VIC) as an LDS (Mormon) missionary. I am the resident Mormon goon in here.

oh that's pretty cool that they didnt send you to somewhere in the midwest

neato bandito!

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

You are telling me! Australia is such an amazing country. I love the people. You really don't have any say on where you will be sent, you simply just say you will go wherever. I have friends that went to pretty much any place you can imagine; Western/Eastern Europe; Africa, Polynesia, Asia, Central/South America and learning to speak whatever the native language(s) is(are). I would have liked to have learn a language, did a little time within the Tongan community so I picked up a bit of that.

Basically Australia is better than the US in more ways than I care to count. :australia:

i am trying to find a job there and i also applied for the silver fern program in nz

now to just convince the wife to move half a world away

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BigPaddy posted:

NZ is nice but a bit remote for my tastes. Very dependent on what turned up on the ships that week unless you like lamb ;)

i love lamb but yeah that would be my main concern is the cost of living

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

That is....Quite the dress.
it looks like the same material a bathrobe is made of

meltie posted:

Liverpool?

i was going to guess newcastle

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

InitialDave posted:

It looks like Newcastle to me. That's Newgate Street, with The Gate in the background.

Young, dumb, and full of...

But seriously, you can't tell anything about them from that picture. That's kind of the standard "girls on night out" kind of deal.

maybe it is for a geordie i guess

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is very easily solved with a 250g bar of Dairy Milk. I was up 50 pounds at one point during my two years in Oz. :btroll:

i considered filing when i gave her a timtam and she didnt like it, i have little hope that a dairy milk would help :rip:

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

scrubs season six posted:

What do you think my chances of getting a 2017 Raptor at MSRP are when it's the only one on a lot within 100 miles?

Yeah, same here.

I get to sit in them every day as I play with the infotainment system making sure they work and Jesus fuckton christ I'm pretty sure I would kill a man to own one

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I am allergic to chocolate

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Edit

FAT32 SHAMER fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 15, 2017

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Powershift posted:

Are you actually 3 dogs in a trench coat?

pls don't doxx us

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

The NAIAS is real good

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

cakesmith handyman posted:

The hi-res pictures of the GT car are the best thing I've seen so far from there, everything else is meh.

Yeah every year I go excited and leave slightly disappointed.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

I just ate a giant jersey mike's big kahuna with extra jalapeņo and holy moley was it good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

Cage posted:

If I wanted to make you feel bad I would show you the nutritional info for one of those.

I'm a big killjoy when I'm dieting.

I'm sure it's insane but as the guy who regularly eats 2 triple cheeseburgers and a large fry at mcdonalds without gaining weight, I'll worry about it in five years :3:

• Locked thread