Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meltie posted:

My 190e's lazy starting has deepened into a 15-minute stumble fest before *something* warms up properly and it's OK. I got stuck in London yesterday because of it. Replaced rotor, wires and plugs today, no better. It feels very similar to when my voltage regulator last shat the bed.

Perhaps the one in the new alternator is poo poo, and it's compounding with an underlying K-JET/CIS starting ballache.

I'll replace the VR with the old one I rebuilt at work, find a decent dizzy cap, then I think i'm going to pay Kent Bergsma for his 2.5hr video on CIS starting troubleshooting: https://mercedessource.com/store/gas-engine-spins-won%92t-start-video-class-kent-bergsma

I started to make a list of everything i've repaired or replaced on the 190e but got a bit down about it! The amount of work i've put into it it's got to be one of the best pov-spec 190s in England...

poo poo, I didn't realise it was K-jet. gently caress that. My Saab turbo is K jet and the only way I have ever been able to make it start reliably is by putting the cold start injector on a manual push switch and by pressing it for 5 secs prior to turning it over and then playing with it for the first 30 secs until it manages to fuel itself properly enough to idle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meltie posted:

:o: you've inspired me to simply remove the rest of my hubcaps.

Thread. Now.

I love W12[34]s.

Wear those steelies with pride.

I have never looked at a Merc before and thought "I want to drive that" until I saw this Merc.

I think that it is however still lower down the list of estates that I want to own than this one:

(yes, I also want one in 2 tone beige)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meltie posted:

I thought that was an Austin Princess for a sec and thought you'd gone mad.

cakesmith handyman posted:

Awesome. I bought this kit ten years ago when I was doing my degree and it taught me all sorts of stuff, like multiplexing sensors and motors and managing current and memory and so on, because it was so loving limited. I'd have done bad bad things for an arduino back then and now they're like £15.

Funny thing, ladder code was mentioned once in one lecture: "nobody uses this". I use it every damned day at work.

My final project was an autonomous fish. We built lego robots all the time though, peaking at the mobile ashtray that had an extending arm and sought out particular coloured lights.
When you have built some arduino controlled lego I am coming round to play!

I just finished building the lego ideas maze that my sis gave me for Christmas. It is so much harder than I anticipated - the ball gets stuck on the edges between the bricks if you go too slow so you have to go faster thus making it much trickier!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

cursedshitbox posted:

Heretic!

while we're on the topic of all things England.

12pt 12mm heads.
3/8-16 threads. ayup.

I assume these are to join something post 1970 to the V8 engine block where some genius decided that rather than changing the machining to put a different hole and thread in the block they would instead create a special part in the form of an imperial metric bolt?

Is 3/8-16 = 3/8 UNC?

I'm still trying to find something to fit into the threaded holes in the back of my V8 heads. Getting hold of imperial bolts here is quite tricky and I have to order them in small quantities online and it is getting quite frustrating

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

spog posted:

UK:

Halfords are still offering their fully synthetic oils at £12 for 5 litres. This usually goes for a solid £36 and there is nothing on the market that cheap (even Tesco's no-name stuff is £20/4litres)

Don't know why they are selling it off so cheap (it's not like it goes off in the warehouse) - perhaps they are bumping their year end figures? - but it's time to stock up.

At that price, I wonder if I can use it to cook my chips in.

I was tempted by this the other day but then found that my local asda had just reduced all the 1L castrol FS to £3 from £9, so i have now stocked up on enough of that to cover my next 2 oil changes on my car! I think it was only reduced because the label design has been updated.

I should probably stock up for all my other vehicles too.

meltie posted:

What's the opinion on using FS in older engines that have lived their lives on Dino?

I've been thinking about this for a while, and read lots about it but have not actually tried it on anything I own yet. Would be interested to hear some actual experiences of it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Enourmo posted:

If full synthetic "makes" your engine leak, your seal(s) were already bad and it was a matter of time before whatever crud was blocking the leak got dislodged.

I'll have you know that the current mineral oil loss via leaking seals and gaskets in all my classic vehicles is carefully calibrated and controlled.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Darchangel posted:

Yeah, 3/8-16 = 3/8 UNC.
poo poo, ask someone here (US.) We can probably go rip a hundred SAE bolts out of some '70s pickup or another in the wrecking yard, or any pre-90s American V8, I bet. 3/8-16, if that's what you need, is super common on GM engines.
Or, I suppose we could buy new and ship. No idea if that would be any cheaper for you.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Can't remember where you're located but if you can find everything you need on http://mcmaster.com/ it wouldn't be an issue for me to place the order then ship it to you once it arrives. Takes 1 day to get to me from their Atlanta location and I've been doing an order a month or so.

Cheers guys. My issue is that I don't know what size i need as i'm working blind on a few blind holes at the back of the heads.

I've been sorting out yesterday and today and have just been through my 2 junk storage boxes containing 10 years of assorted fixings and 'bits' and I think i might have a few candidates.

I have definitely found some 3/8 UNC

95% of what I ever deal with here is metric. You can get imperial bolts - but not as easily as metric ones that I can just buy from a shop on the high street. Ordering them online in small quantities means they end up costing 10x what the metric stuff does.

Have just printed this - http://www.engineeredpartsinc.com/pdf/metric-conversions.pdf to stick on the wall in the garage.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Went to see Meshuggah tonight.

I've been to a lot of gigs and there is nothing quite like the Meshuggah experience. It's amazing.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

I get depressed about debt and my kids future and my abject lack of a social life occasionally, it's hard to deal with but I'm aware I'm lucky. Mid thirties with a decent job, a well built house and a healthy family. Sure I don't have money for a project car and I'll never have the money to throw away on taking the kids to Disneyland (if I had that spare I'd prefer to put it in savings for them because gently caress Disney) but I'm okay.

I need to work on my social life too! We should sort something out as I have also got a box of electronics and arduino stuff to learn to use and I also like drinking and no longer know any other nerds locally.
I'll message you!

I also have too many project cars so if you ever want to play with one then let me know!

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Pineapple on a pizza is awesome.

And chillis on pizza aren't meat but are great.

Chillis and pinapple = best pizza

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Hypothesis submitted to test queue.

You will not regret it.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Do we get to vote on the next AI mod? I'm all behind a 14" Dick/Corn in the fridge tag team.

Dr Jim beam has proposed a solution to my horrific cold/flu-like symptoms, my wife is sceptical.

Exhaustive research has proved to me that that port+brandy is the best medicinal drink. Best applied whilst sitting in front of a hot fire (gas/electric fires count)

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

My microwave just blew up and this has led me to re-discover that hot chocolate made in a pan on the stove is a poo poo load better than hot chocolate made using the microwave.

Somehow a microwave running while producing sparks, flames and smoke out the side doesn't make anything trip in my fusebox, but turning on the light in my extension when the air is damp (so pretty much all the time in winter in the UK) makes the main breaker trip almost every single time.

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Just received a final refund payment from HMRC and finally closed off my student loan account after 18 years. gently caress you student loans.

You poor bastard. Are you doing it out in the rain too?

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

meltie posted:

I kinda gave up tracking mine. I know it's still being paid out via PAYE but perhaps I should check on it. Hmm.

Only got one storm here - I just shut the doors and carried on. Unfortunately i'm only half

Check it and check it carefully! Mine would have been paid off a number of years ago except that when I first started working hmrc lost all my payments for 3-4 years (until I noticed) and then it took months to sort it out and they still didn't get it right.

Congratulations! I felt great clearing mine the other year.

So I've been ill on and off for about 6 weeks and it's made me shamefully weak. Changing the oil in the panda (all 2.8l of it) and investigating crappy handbrake in the wife's car has left me feeling like I've just done a couple of days hard labour. Crappy body, why did you forsake me? After I fed you whiskey too you bastard.

Hope you start feeling better soon!

My sister got a Panda recently too. I just 3D printed a new bracket to hold its clutch fluid reservoir which the PO had snapped off and left dangling. My dad bought the car cheap and I think a shite clutch was one of the reasons!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Just got home from a nice night in the pub to find my kitchen exceedingly moist.

I now wonder if my microwave might have gone bang on Tuesday because the combi boiler that is on the wall above it had been dripping on it. While I was out tonight the drip obviously got much more serious.

Looks like tomorrow will start with a boiler stripping session. Its a good job I hadn't got round to fitting any new kitchen units yet. Hopefully water damage will aid the removal!

• Locked thread