Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So the wife got me GTAV for Christmas, since I never played it on 360. Rockstar really did a hell of a job on that game. There have been a few times where I get an uncanny valley / deja vu feeling from locations in the game because they nailed the look and feel of SoCal so well.

Now to try and sleep to the sound of fireworks. Happy new year, all of you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Galler posted:

I've been sick since Tuesday and it's pretty awful. Doesn't seem bad enough to be the flu but I've never had a cold last this long either. gently caress 20161227 to ?.gif

My wife and I both had this, it took for-loving-ever to kick.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Let's not pretend there's any way this company would have been saved

They would've needed to go super aggressive on an actual online makeover, not the garbage rewards program that they have now. They could've treated each store as a local warehouse and already been much closer to quick delivery than Amazon was. Would've put that real estate to good use.

It's just bizarre to me because the original Sears model is along the same lines of what Amazon does today - be as close to a one stop shop for delivery as possible.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

Stop stealing my points damnit IoC :argh:

Sears was the amazon of the last 150 years. If they hadn't flubbed the internet so hard they could have been the amazon of the last 10 years and the next 50, too.

Innovate or die.

Same goes for radioshack vs amazon, digikey, and adafruit/similar maker electronics sources, too. Radioshack failed to innovate and they are a dead shell of their former selves today as a result.

:cheers:

Radioshack died, for me at least, when I bought a cheap rear end used laptop (pre-MMX Pentium Thinkpad, motherfucker was a tank) and the eBay seller neglected to include the AC cable from the wall to the brick. This was around 2001 or so. At the time I didn't know any sort of name for it, but I recognized it as a common two-pin cord. Either figure-8 or the polarized version thereof. Went to Radioshack near my house and asked them for it.

The fuckwit there insisted that it was a proprietary Sony-only cable and that they couldn't possibly have one. I'm sure they had it somewhere but I wasn't going to waste time digging through that store. I walked to the goddamn grocery store next door and bought one. Probably cheaper too.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Alarbus posted:

Phoenix drivers, particularly on I-10 have no idea what turn signals are, do they? And I won't even be here long enough to see the zip tie drags.

You mean the lever that makes drivers take up the room you had to merge?

Rhyno posted:

Sears is closing like 150 more stores between the Sears and Kmart chains.

Like how do you gently caress up that badly?

the power of the free market

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

Getting my tooth yanked!

They found a crack in the filling and two cracks in the tooth itself. I'm going to set my primary dentist on fire.

Ffffuuuuuuuck.

I still need to get my wisdom teeth yanked, which I am not looking forward to. :ohdear:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, I know. I actually had an appointment booked for it about five years ago, but I got a nasty cold right before it and never rebooked it. I was actually trying to overlay the recovery for it with the recovery from another surgery that was supposed to be quick (hernia repair), but that thing loving kicked my rear end.

It will definitely be this year, that's for sure.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slurry_curry posted:

eh, I just had the last one of my wisdom teeth yanked a couple weeks ago. I swear the worst part was they had to use so much novocaine that the entire left side of my face, all the way up to my scalp, was completely numb for about 8 hours. Granted I have had rather extensive dental work recently, so I might be a bit jaded.

Novocaine I can deal with, but one of them is impacted so I have to see an oral surgeon, which will almost certainly entail significant sedation. I'll have them do all four because gently caress separate recovery times.

I had two root canals done on the Tuesday after Christmas and the tendon on that side of my face is only today finally not swollen.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

More Zip Tie Drags info :getin:

Anyone else actually going to this? I know I spotted at least one goon car in some of the early FB posting :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

The Locator posted:

I'd sort of like to go, but I'm not going to take a Friday off work for it, and on that Saturday I have a meeting in Sun Lakes from 10-12, so it's very unlikely that I'll go down at all. The Focus wouldn't be much fun to drag with (especially with these old tires on it - I can now break them loose easily at any point in 2nd gear even rolling into the throttle) so I'd just be spectating anyway.

I'm heading down on Friday but I don't think there's 'that' much going on that day. Track prep and the higher altitude might help you keep some traction down there :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slurry_curry posted:

I never thought I would say this, but that quote makes me so happy I moved into a solutions architect role. I still feel dirty working on the sales side of things.

Give in to the darkness. Enjoy the fact that each and every one of your sales people treat the speech in Glengarry Glen Ross as a personal mantra. It pays better that way.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slurry_curry posted:

I wasn't sure which speech you were talking about so I had to look it up. Yup, thats exactly what most of the sales guys are like that I work with.

Thankfully its not my job to sell anyone anything. Its my job to be the technical guy on the calls, the sales guys do the selling. When it comes down to it, as much as I hate being on the sales side, not having an oncall rotation and getting quarterly bonuses makes it worth while. The downside is having to go and work tradeshows which is god loving awful. AWS re:invent this year was terrible.

Just smile, laugh, and do your best to keep sales honest and operations happy, without losing the deal. No problem!

Tradeshows suck, no way around that, but it beats the gently caress out of oncall.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

I hear this from OTHER EMTS AND MEDICS

The most vocal person I know on this topic works in a hospital, so I believe this. There seems to be some pervasive idea that making entry-level jobs pay a livable wage will convince people to not go to school and learn how to do better jobs... which apparently pay fuckall more. No room for the idea that "both you and the burger flipper are underpaid by different amounts for different reasons".

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ilkhan posted:

I was also visiting seattle recently, and ate a lot of fast food. Twice I had touch-screen menus to order from, with no worker to help. The guys who got let go when the min wage went up sure appreciate the higher wage they aren't earning.

See, I hate this argument because the math doesn't even remotely add up. A tablet to take orders for people who are in store is almost infinitely cheaper than any employee paid a wage better than a Foxconn factory worker. Business haven't failed miserably because of minimum wages in the $5-10 range, but I'd be utterly shocked if a tablet system cost more than $2/hr to own, operate, and repair as needed.

You're also talking about a task that doesn't even require a full time employee. I've never seen a fast food restaurant where the cashiers weren't also doing other tasks between orders.

Any restaurant owner with half a brain will jump on tablet ordering, and have the same employee count / hour count, with time spent more effectively on tasks that can't be automated yet.

I'm also legitimately interested in seeing any sort of real-world based math for how much of the price of a Double Double goes towards actual wages. In-N-Out has paid its staff well over minimum wages for as long as I can remember, and yet they still survive.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

ExplodingSims posted:

I will never understand people who willingly screw themselves over for "The good of the company" though. The company sees you as expendable, and the loving nanosecond you can't make them money anymore, you're out the door. Doesn't matter how good you are with the boss, you're still just a replaceable cog in the machine. How to effectively break this mindset is a tricky one though, and I don't have all the answers. Trying to make people feel good about the work they do, and trying to get them to realize it has value helps though.

Potentially double posting because phone.

I think this is a holdover from Boomers and Greatest Generation thinking. Our parents and their parents could reasonably expect to get a college degree, get in with a company, and work a solid career there while getting solid benefits and actual retirement investments. Even though the company probably would gently caress them over given the chance, there was still a perception of loyalty having benefits.

Now, that perception is a myth at best.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

cursedshitbox posted:

I grew up around people that didnt believe in STEM. Needless to say, They arent my loving family any longer. Religion or "big brother" isnt even a loving valid god damned excuse. . I'd hope that the posters here have some cognitive ability to realize STEM is infact a real thing. Otherwise, IOC please ban me now. I have no loving reason to be here anymore.

Liberal? lolllllll. I'm for neither party.

Without STEM, none of our cars would work.

Or as the case may be, they'd be even more broken. :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

iwentdoodie posted:

In N Out is basically how the right pitches every single business if they had their way.

Small, private, family owned (and super religious) and benefits the workers as well as owners.

It would never hold true, but examples like that get held up a lot.

My info may well be out of date - I had two family members who worked there about a decade ago now - but I can't say I've ever heard of any company other than perhaps Costco treating entry level jobs so well. If other companies were willing to look to those two as examples instead of just min/maxing their quarterly reports, we wouldn't even need to have this discussion.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yup, it was a bonus episode that went straight to everyone. I'm betting this has to do with the fact that MCM also had an episode on it to air.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

meltie posted:

What's the opinion on using FS in older engines that have lived their lives on Dino?

I've only got one engine that I switched at high mileage (and only about 115k at that), the 4.7 in my Jeep. It has developed a mild valve cover leak on the driver's side, but that's a common 4.7 problem. Seeing as the PO just had them done before I bought it, I suspect it is just a part failure since it wouldn't have had much time to build up a sludge seal. They were religious about 3k changes on dino oil.

Everything else I switched at or below 44k. I suspect the Mazdaspeed 3 always ran synthetic, and I know the Honda has.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Ok guys, we're doing the special Walmart run today, so go grab your piss-bottles. Make sure you don't mix up the indistinguishable jugs and cartons with that other lot we're sending to the dealers (DEALERS HAVE THE BEST OIL).

Most of the 5-quart jugs I've seen at Walmart are labeled "Recycle your oil at Walmart!" on the printed label, so.... it's possible? But it also seems like the expense of creating a separate formula (and losing economies of scale) would eat up the savings.

I've never done a VOA but I've done plenty of UOAs on Walmart-sourced oil and it always comes out fine.

Edit: That bottle label could be a Pennzoil-only thing, but here's an example:

IOwnCalculus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 9, 2017

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

So in my repeat trips to Autozone this weekend, I noticed this being advertised:

Seems like it's along the same lines as Seafoam Deep Creep. They're advertising it as something you can just tuck into the throttle body or just past the MAF. If it ends up being effective I'd make that something like an annual maintenance item next time I end up with a GDI engine.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CornHolio posted:

I've so far not bought tires for my truck. I'm probably going to put it off until the spring. My biggest problem right now is determining what kind to buy - truckish, offroad tires or more highway friendly tires.

The truck rarely sees highways (though right now it's mostly because of the condition of the tires) but it also rarely sees offroad use - occasional dirt or gravel but thats it.
I don't care about road noise or fuel economy.
I don't care about treadwear. The tires will dryrot before I have 10,000 miles on them.

I do care about price, and performance in really rainy weather.
I kind of like the look of the bigger offroad tires though my truck is 2WD so it's pretty much all show

Truck is a 2000 Ranger with 15" wheels.

Which should I look at?

I'm happy with the Discount Tire Pathfinder S AT (which is a Kumho Road Venture SAT KL61 without Kumho's branding) on my WJ. They're not any noticeably worse on the highway than the very much street-oriented tires that were on it when I bought it, but definitely better off-road and even in the wet.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Adiabatic posted:

That being said, I personally have vehicles in lower-return vehicles because DIVERSIFICATION.

I think diversifying into WJs and E30s is not going to result in much ROI :v:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

poo poo show continues.

I hate the fact that this is going to take months to resolve because this is loving hilarious.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm pretty sure those Hankooks are available since I think Discount is doing the same deal with that exact tire as another Pathfinder-branded tire.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

I'm... shocked, impressed, and yet depressed that someone lost their job over this.

Don't look at it like this. They didn't lose their job because you complained, they lost their job because they went out of their way to try and defraud a customer.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah but the CRD Grand Cherokee has got to be a rounding error in terms of Jeep sales, at least in the US. Do they even have any US-market diesels, other than the rumored JL Wrangler diesel?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Pham Nuwen posted:

Are there any brake/clutch bleeding tools worth buying for under $50? Yelling instructions to my wife and running around to keep the reservoir topped up is getting old.

DIY pressure bleeder saved my rear end on the brake system rebuild I just did on my C10. Replace the DIY cap with an actual Motive cap if yours isn't likely to work well (such as an old-school cast-iron reservoir with two isolated chambers).

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Darchangel posted:

I need to build on of those.

It's seriously easy to build. You can use it either with fluid in it so you never need to top poo poo up (this probably works better for modern plastic reservoirs), or just with air and keep topping up the master itself. The problem with using it to push fluid straight into a cast iron master is that when you pull it off, the fluid will be right at the very top of the reservoir and will probably spill a little in the process.

I threw a pressure gauge on mine just so I can see how much I'm putting into it, but it seems to work out that on an empty one-gallon sprayer, one pump roughly equals one PSI. 10 PSI is plenty to get fluid flowing.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I built one of these a while back and used a junkyard cap for the reservoir. Couldn't build pressure as it just blew out under the cap. I guess I could pick up a Motive cap and try that but they're already bled at this point. gently caress it.

The Motive "classic reservoir" cap (the big rectangular aluminum chunk with two ports), combined with a big-rear end C-clamp, works well on mine. I've never even tried the chains / J-hooks it came with, it all just seems way too fiddly when a clamp does the job. I do vaguely wish I'd found an application newer than '73 C10 when I swapped master cylinders, just so I could use a plastic reservoir and a twist-lock cap, but what I've got works.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Weird, I'd figure that would work better. I haven't had the chance to bleed anything newer with it yet anyway. I still bought the Motive adapter for my WJ since it's about as cheap as buying another master cylinder cap and hacking it up, and I've already got my pressure bleeder set up to connect to Motive adapters.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

I picked up a Dual Extruder Heated Bed 3D Printer for $60. Feel kinda like I ripped the guy off at that price.

Goddamn, what the hell is wrong with it at that price?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

In which HPC and AvE cross over, at least a little.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_LToWAZoSo

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

slothrop posted:

Free, updated version. Works on OS X and Windows. I'm sorry.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/404410/

I was going to mention that EV:Nova was ported to Windows, but... goddamnit now I have to play that.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

nm posted:

No mods, no masters.

DO NOT, MY FRIENDS, BECOME ADDICTED TO POSTING.

IT WILL CONSUME YOU, AND YOU WILL RESENT ITS ABSENCE.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

fridge corn posted:

Will the next mod be as autistic as you i wonder

Possibly more so!

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seminal Flu posted:

IOwnCalculus for mod. 4 more years, 4 more years.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

You Am I posted:

trust me, you don't want to be a mod

I was originally going to leave some recommendations on who I thought would be a good fit but then I realized that quite frankly I wouldn't wish that poo poo on anyone right now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Has ioc even had to moderate anything in here for years? I feel like we run a pretty tight ship.

Mostly thread name changes and reports about fridge corn, a surprisingly large percentage of which I misc'ed.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CharlesM posted:

What does this have to do with AI and IOC?

Absolutely nothing. Lowtax got deeply offended at an image Koalas March posted, spent two days asking to have a discussion about it while largely ignoring people providing responses, and then suddenly demodded three people who he felt were too flippant to him in said responses.

Right about there is where slap me silly and I asked to be demodded and it's been a chain reaction since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Rhyno posted:

I'm glad we have the FB group to fall back on in case they decide to just delete this sub forum.

I should probably join that.

• Locked thread