Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
My 190e's lazy starting has deepened into a 15-minute stumble fest before *something* warms up properly and it's OK. I got stuck in London yesterday because of it. Replaced rotor, wires and plugs today, no better. It feels very similar to when my voltage regulator last shat the bed.

Perhaps the one in the new alternator is poo poo, and it's compounding with an underlying K-JET/CIS starting ballache.

I'll replace the VR with the old one I rebuilt at work, find a decent dizzy cap, then I think i'm going to pay Kent Bergsma for his 2.5hr video on CIS starting troubleshooting: https://mercedessource.com/store/gas-engine-spins-won%92t-start-video-class-kent-bergsma

I started to make a list of everything i've repaired or replaced on the 190e but got a bit down about it! The amount of work i've put into it it's got to be one of the best pov-spec 190s in England...

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

poo poo, I didn't realise it was K-jet. gently caress that. My Saab turbo is K jet and the only way I have ever been able to make it start reliably is by putting the cold start injector on a manual push switch and by pressing it for 5 secs prior to turning it over and then playing with it for the first 30 secs until it manages to fuel itself properly enough to idle.

Yeah, they're K-jet with an early Bosch ECU for starting assistance. Mine's always been a bit rubbish to start, but it got *really* bad when it sat for a week in the rain over Christmas.

Wonder if this filthy cap - and the correspondingly carbonised rotor arm had much to do with it? ;)

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Does K-Jet use a coolant temp sensor and/or an oxygen sensor? A 1 wire oxygen sensor takes a bit to heat up, and they get flaky as they get old. A CTS that's reporting much colder than it really is until it finally warms up would really gently caress with things.

I've never worked with K-Jet though, so I have absolutely no idea how it works, just basing this on my knowledge of mid 80s+ Honda EFI.

You're thinking along the right lines, no Lambdas, but it's got a CTS. I think it's more than one problem - i'll fix this no-start problem (hopefully it's the cap; look at the state of it!) then i'm going to dig into the rest of it.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Had an ER visit on the 30th though, for what I thought was either DTs or a heart attack. :stonk: I still drink too much, but the doctor ran a shitton of bloodwork to rule out, well, DTs, strokes, heart issues, and blood clots. She also hit me with a small dose of ativan right away; once the nurse told me the dose I knew it wasn't enough for DTs, but it calmed me right the gently caress down and got my blood pressure to downright normal (almost too low).

Blimey mate!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

meltie fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Jan 1, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

IOwnCalculus posted:

My wife and I both had this, it took for-loving-ever to kick.

I had this too. Caught it on a trip to the PNW. Took about 2 weeks to get rid of most of it then it lingered for another month or so. At one point I thought I was going to have it forever.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Cached Money posted:

The engine's a M102 right? Have you checked the coolant temp sensor? I heard those are a common cause of uneven operation, however this sounds like it's worse than the misfire mine has.

Yeah, it's an M102.

Cap, rotor and new plugs solved the no-start!

So it's back to the usual behaviour: takes-two-tries-to-start, requires a dab of accelerator at the right time to go, and then cold idles at 800ish.

That's two votes for the CTS, so I might test that next :)

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I like cars

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Eh, cars are alright, but I'm more fond of trucks myself.

What about the minitruck on Roadkill?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Hey, me too car buddy! :hfive:

Hey! Didn't you used to have something really nice?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Fermented Tinal posted:

I don't watch Roadkill.

I gave up on it last year when they got bought out and started putting crate motors into everything. Even now they choose to do things cheap-assedly while going "gently caress it, this is roadkill" instead of doing awesome hacks.

Still, I watched the latest one with the bagged minitruck in for a laugh.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
Someone stole one of my hubcaps in an expensive guarded carpark. ONE. And they're $50 each to replace.

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I used to, not anymore though. Thanks Obama.

Aw mate, sorry to hear it

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.
I also spent $january on getting the sills welded to pass the TÜV.

Then when pulling carpets I found the heater core's crapped itself. Yay.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

At least you got through before the freeze tonight. People are going to be panicking.

I learnt last year that the real problem in snow isn't your competence; it's the dangerous idiots you're sharing the road with

e: also, crikey, even 2x worn snow tyres are absolutely amazing compared to the typical cheap all-seasons people have

meltie fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Jan 7, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

:agreed: I worry about driving 30 miles to the office every day that someone is going to kill me on i-85 and i-285. Its notorious for being dangerous as hell. I've never had an accident since I started driving, but I just know someone will get me eventually

I guess this is a pretty euro question, but, could you live closer?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

I could, but I build Audis as a hobby, and that's rather frowned upon downtown. And our public transportation is poo poo. We have an awesome light rail system, but it doesn't stretch out to the suburbs. And the for-profit system that runs locally in my county's answer is to just add more buses.

Hmmmm. I'm gonna guess you're in... Fayetteville?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

Dacula (Lawrenceville)

DAMNIT. Lawrenceville area was my second guess :)

e: what's Dacula (da-CUL-a?) like?

meltie fucked around with this message at 03:45 on Jan 7, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

I bought one. For my wife and kid. When the wife finally got her license, I got her a Volvo XC70 with all the options, curtain airbags, etc. She loves it

I'm not getting into car payments right now for myself. My cars work, and I have a great driving safety record.

Fair enough, good call

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

In other news, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a super neat RC truck this weekend for Hanukkah so that's pretty cool. Everybody staying warm out there this winter?

It's just wet here, no snow. Hovering around 2ºC but the damp is cloying. Gets everywhere.

Chag Sameach. I miss good latkes.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

:o: you've inspired me to simply remove the rest of my hubcaps.

Thread. Now.

I love W12[34]s.

meltie fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Jan 7, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Boaz MacPhereson posted:

I think I'd take cold and dampish over the brutal shot we got going here. There are currently no degrees Frankenstein outside. None. No degrees at all. And it's windy.

I live in the flatlands. The water table is literally 2" below ground level at all times.

My previous place, the basement walls were constantly streaming with water - my flatmates and I were advised not to try waterproofing it because it would make the house try to float like a boat in the soil.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

cursedshitbox posted:

The ole' mans good. we're workin on projects at the moment. wiring 220 in the garage for reasons.
he lol'd at this thread.

Hooray. Hope he's patching up OK.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tomarse posted:

I think that it is however still lower down the list of estates that I want to own than this one:

(yes, I also want one in 2 tone beige)

I thought that was an Austin Princess for a sec and thought you'd gone mad.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

You're a sick, sick individual.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

cursedshitbox posted:

Heretic!

while we're on the topic of all things England.

12pt 12mm heads.
3/8-16 threads. ayup.

Oh for gently caress's sake.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

spog posted:

UK:

Halfords are still offering their fully synthetic oils at £12 for 5 litres. This usually goes for a solid £36 and there is nothing on the market that cheap (even Tesco's no-name stuff is £20/4litres)

Don't know why they are selling it off so cheap (it's not like it goes off in the warehouse) - perhaps they are bumping their year end figures? - but it's time to stock up.

At that price, I wonder if I can use it to cook my chips in.

What's the opinion on using FS in older engines that have lived their lives on Dino?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

Meanwhile, in The North (tm):

Liverpool?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CommieGIR posted:

That is....Quite the dress.

Very... English.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

InitialDave posted:

But seriously, you can't tell anything about them from that picture. That's kind of the standard "girls on night out" kind of deal.

Yeah, this is fairly normal for the UK - they're just normal people on a Saturday night. I wouldn't read too much into it; it's just modern British fashion and life.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

I like cars

and cinema, art, fashion, architecture.

I had a satisfying chat with an old mate last week about fine art, and an individual's definition of a "luxury" item.

Where do you set the threshold for a luxury? Is it "anything beyond the bare minimum to survive" - bread and water? Is a can of beans a luxury?

meltie fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Jan 19, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

SquirrelGrip posted:

my favourite car is the te27 corolla, yeah buddy

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You have good taste but it's not as good as it could be. I'm thinking RA24 Celica.

anything with TE37s on

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I'm really glad you didn't wade into the microcomputer debate just now with one of your howling VMS abominations.

$ I hate computers.

At LISA (Large Installation Systems Administration conference, run by USENIX) last year, attended by several thousand admins from basically all the main bits of Internet infrastructure (both above and below the waterline), researchers, STEM people (cern, hospitals, large cluster providers) etc, the majority were using Macs, as reported by the wifi providers.

I found that the deeper into the industry one gets, the fewer petty Mac/PC/linux/android/ios bollocks people care about.

meltie fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Jan 19, 2017

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

SquirrelGrip posted:

heres my old ke20 i stuffed a worked 2tg into because australia never got te27's

yeah but what wheels are those?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Tide posted:

Also, say what for the bolded part

Visible to the average user vs not. Facebook, twitter, CNN, Netflix, amazon.com vs cloudflare, equinix, l3, LINX, esnet, Janet etc etc

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

slothrop posted:

I want a 1986 MR2 Supercharged.

There's an NA one going for £800 and I almost had a weak moment

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Pineapple on a pizza is awesome.

Correct! 🍕

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

SquirrelGrip posted:

yeah boooyyyy

Does the sc add THAT much irl?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

slothrop posted:

I want a 1986 MR2 Supercharged.

Haunted 4A-GZE: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=38JMMvJQ8m8

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Elephanthead posted:

The Large Hadron Collider is what split us off into Trump timeline so I approve the cuts to all science.

Nah; that was the Tevatron.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

fridge corn posted:

Holy poo poo which one of you is this lol http://facebook.com/profile.php?=73322363

Youuuu bastard.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I recall the US uses cups as a measurement in cooking. How is that any less dumb than y'know, a weight measurement? I have a million cups in my kitchen, all varying sizes so which is a cup cup?

*edit: cup is a volume measurement? loving stupid :allears:

It's a defined size, not a drinking mug.

Even if you are just using a random container, it shouldn't matter so long as you use the same container throughout the process - it's all relative?

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

bolind posted:

loving around with graphite and grafana trying to make a kickass monitoring system at work.

We need to talk :science:

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

Calligraphy! Saw an awesome writing gif a few months ago so I picked up a pen for the first time in years. I've got gold ink! It's satisfying to send someone a handmade thankyou note and at least two of my friends kept their Christmas gift tags from me this year.

It helps that I went to a country school where they still taught with fountain pen.

meltie fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Jan 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

angryrobots posted:

I heard a piece on npr yesterday about Holland of all places becoming anti-muslim immigration.

They worry about conservative religious persons not fitting in with their established liberal values. That's an interesting spin, I thought.

I thought Holland was actually quite classically conservative, which is how they have lots of individual freedom? "You mind your own business and i'll mind mine" etc?

• Locked thread