Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Hahaha noice OP :D

My brother is being tardy on announcing something good happened in 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

keykey posted:

Also, why the hell do these threads always start earlier and earlier? This time it was started a day and 3 hours out for me.

A rather amusing running joke :D

Personally 2016 wasnt tooooo bad. But globally? Yeah 2016 can go eat a bag of dicks.

Happy 2017 Black Thumbs, I shall witness you to Valhalla (Translation : You are a bunch of cool dudes, drop by for a beer if you are ever in my direction. I have Subarus to use as eskys)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

From the Dec thread

because I'm rather proud of myself

Noooooice

I'm having an odd New Years Day - watching the local kids channel with a hyperactive 4 year old.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

IOwnCalculus posted:

My wife and I both had this, it took for-loving-ever to kick.

I think I had the same drat thing in August - Bad enough that I was off the bike for a full week, bed ridden for two and took a good month to throw it completely.

Hell, I've ridden with broken bones and colds / flu so... yeah it knocked me around and then some.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

kastein posted:

Radioshack failed to innovate and they are a dead shell of their former selves today as a result.

I dont think Radioshack was a lack of innovation - it died the same way Dick Smith died. it tried to move into more of a whitegoods market and phones, while ignoring the traditional hard to find bits n pieces electronics that were the real backbone of foot traffic.

For example, Dick Smith would have that weird rear end power convertor or odd cable in the corner that you might need once every five years and had TV's and poo poo in another corner. And if you had a 50 year old coax with oddball connection to connect a modern TV, well no problem, Dick Smith and Radioshack had it. So why not buy the TV from there?

It worked for a long time. I know many others like myself I would persist going into Dick Smith even with online options or cheaper places, simply because Dick Smith would be the first port of call for anything I needed. Sure, they had whitegoods but that was more of a nice addition to the weird rear end rows of oddball crap that was just plain useful. When Dick Smith stopped with the weird rear end poo poo and went pure appliances and music, they got their lunch eaten by JB-HiFi. Why on earth would you want to go to Dick Smith without the weird rear end poo poo when JB was cheaper and also had a bigger appliance / music / camera range?

Dick Smith and Radioshack could have expanded to the Internet with the weird rear end poo poo but the real problem was removing the original reason to go to their bricks and mortar stores in the first place. These days it's JB for the wide appliance range, Jaycar for the weird rear end things.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Just getting off a derail and into this thread.....

Phuzun posted:

Got a neighbor you don't like, stash a remote controlled room heater in their bush on an outdoors socket. Drive them insane with unexpected huge electric bills.

True story - the rental I was at 11 years ago had a hidden weed hydro set up under it. I literally only found it after I washed the patio and shorted out the entire house.

I was rather puzzled why my power bills were high until that point.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

scuz posted:

My band is going to Tulsa, OK and the venue we're playing at is down the street from the Hanson Brothers brewery. Their flagship beer is called "Mmmhops". Yes, it's that Hanson. I'm astounded.

That is ridiculously awesome

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I think a few of you know Kaptain Ballistik is my IRL brother. He just announced his engagement and I couldnt be more pleased. He found the female version of a Unicorn - she puts up with the motorsport AND went to the WRC with the team ... and enjoyed it!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

I can't figure out why Lampert keeps pumping money into it.

A godawfully huge tax credit.

Plus a bunch of Randian stupidity

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Nice. Just went to do laundry... someone decided it'e be fun to rip doors off of a dryer (and kick the poo poo out of a few others), take a dump in a couple of washers, rip the ceiling fan off the ceiling (still hanging by the wires), and have fun with the fire extinguisher.

It's not like I'm wearing my last clean shirt or pair of pants or anything. :shepicide:

What the gently caress?

quote:

it will also survive longer than 6 or 7 Subarus would

*looks at Subaru collection*

LOL more like the Subaru would outlast the bro-truck

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

My pay was locked at 9.60/hr since 2006, now it's locked at 10.75/hr until SEP 2017.

Thanks, Arizona!

Wait, dont you work in EMT?

That is outright loving criminal you get paid that lovely amount.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Geoj posted:

Still waiting - present your non-condescending case to the guy who works for $8/hour at the local sawmill and thinks that's a perfectly acceptable wage because he also believes that through nothing but hard work he will someday be in charge and in a position to benefit from our horribly lopsided in favor of the employer labor laws.

Just go to your local bar and look at all the hard working men and women who dont have two bucks for another beer. Then go on Instagram and there's all these sons and daughters of your bosses who do nothing and yet splash dat cash.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I uhh.... just picked up a WRX motor for three-fiddy?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'm really mind boggled how cheap WRX poo poo is getting now. 350 for what apart from blown headgaskets is a perfectly good condition engine that wont take long to put back together.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Tomarse posted:

I'll have you know that the current mineral oil loss via leaking seals and gaskets in all my classic vehicles is carefully calibrated and controlled.

How dare you leak shame me

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Does your mom appear to be a little out of it or is she still sharp? My mom likes to put on this aloof, spacey act whenever she needs to have a service done just to see if they'll try to gently caress her over and without fail some dick always tries to upsell her on poo poo.

I can't remember but did I mention I almost bought a car? These painkillers have made me loopy as poo poo for some reason. Anyways, almost pulled the trigger on a Mazda6 wagon on Monday but decided to pull out of it at the last minute. I really need to get the other two cars fully sorted before I pull a third one into the stable.

Come on. You can have more that three. Dont I inspire you?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

You own land! I do not and have not yet convinced my father that he should let me fill his new driveway with cars.

Since when has that stopped anyone? :D

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Hahaha! Turns out the kid who got shot PULLED A GUN AND AIMED IT AT THE OTHER CAR FIRST.

It was an airsoft pistol but it doesn't matter. The other diver was defending himself.

Wow that kid is a real shining beacon of intellect. So now I guess the cops are gonna throw the book at him as well?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

slidebite posted:

Oh my god. Without going into political chat too far, Trump just asked Robert Kennedy Jr to chair a task force into "Vaccination Safety"

An anti-vaccer talking about "debating the science" under a presidential mandate should horrify everybody, not just Americans.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/trump-asks-skeptic-to-probe-vaccine-safety-alarming-doctors-1.3235732

Make Smallpox Great Again

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I'll guarenttee, as an Accountant in much earlier life.....

Most financial advice from so called "professionals" is absolute crap. A lot of it is either a complete asspull from information that was valid 10 years ago OR - and this is where poo poo gets dangerous - it's advice that is to channel you into a scheme they get kickbacks for. This lead to a whooooole lot of people losing everything in the GFC if you don't remember - and it still continues on today and people lose their life savings as a result. Financial advice is one of the least regulated industries out there AND they are always coming up with new ways to hide kickbacks and lousy schemes. AAA rated? LOL so were sub primes after some repackaging!

You want to treat financial advice as if it is radioactive and protect yourself first. Want an example? Look up Great Southern Investments. Basically turned into a Ponzi scheme that took the savings of 10's of thousands. How about Gunns Plantations? Or how about Macquarie Investments 1? I could name more and the list of money lost was astonishing - and also the range of people who were financially literate that were pantsed by the 100 page dossier that hid exactly how bad the underlying securites actually were.

There is no such thing as independent, unbiased financial advice from a professional(*) (because the industry wont allow that kickback gravy train to be banned as it should be) and of course, amateur advice is basically the same put it all on black and hope.

Yes, you are hosed unless you can afford a (*) - (*) being a professional who truly ONLY has YOUR interests in mind and that's only because you pay them enough to make that happen. Have a guess how much you have to have to afford that?

In the late 80's I was into currency hedging on behalf of the company I worked for. I was very good at it and made a *lot* of profit but believe me, half the time it was an asspull. You would be shocked just how many times a hedge fund manager with 20 billion in the portfolio is literally doing asspulls and gets lucky. Those kids on Wall Street wired on cocaine and hookers? Most of the reason why they are edgy and wired as gently caress is that they know the 10 B they dropped on behalf of their clients is no more than a guess based on computer models that work on a range of assumptions that are hazy at best and outright illegal at worst.

It'll all come crashing down one day - it came drat close in the GFC and we are STILL feeling the effects of that one, when it does crash down and get exposed it'll make the Great Depression look mild and make Mad Max a reality.

I got bitten badly by the GFC and even with my level of cynical outlook on humanity was shocked just how rancid the Financial advice industry truly was and still is. And conservatives/Libertarians are doing their best to remove safeguards that existed from then, you think it's any better now?

Oh and if you have a home loan? Hit those repayments as hard as possible as early as possible. Excess payments always come off the principal and hence what you pay up front, you save in interest on the back end.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Adiabatic posted:

Theres a thing here in the U S of A called fiduciary duty thats a binding legal document for a financial advisor to only take steps that put your moneys best interests at heart. Mind you this wont stop the small fee skimming, but its a super important litmus test to keep the super bad ones at bay.

That never stopped anyone and believe me, only at best lip service is paid to that. There is a whole array of ways to get around that - the laws are laughable and just not upheld.

quote:

That being said there are definitely good people that go into the financial advisory field and only do good to their clients. I know dozens of them. I think you may just have a jaded perspective.

My cynical perspective isnt cynical enough when you truly dig into the finance industry.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

MrChips posted:

Sorry Adiabatic I'm going to have to agree with Cat and the 'pimp. A declaration of fiduciary duty isn't some magic ticket that will magically save your money if it turns out your advisor is a crook, and with your country's lax attitude toward white-collar crime, good luck turning it into something enforceable.

It's not even crook level - it's amazing what is actually legal what a planner can get away with. Which rolls into this....

angryrobots posted:

Also I really really need a CPA. I've been turbotax-ing it for years and I really think I'm not taking advantage of the tax code.

Absolutly. Good tax accountants are worth the money and usually also tax deuctable.

Just be wary of those who also offer financial advice. Getting back money in tax avoidance from the Govt is one thing, potential fraudulent tax evasion is another.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Enourmo posted:

Is it bad that I couldn't sleep last night due to visions of World War 3 beginning?

Older posters like me had those dreams before the Cold War ended.

And I dotn blame anyone having visions of that - but to be honest, I think the chances of a hot war with Russia with Trump as President are vanishingly low. Putin aint nuking his puppet and the chaos in the USA caused by Trump is exactly what Putin masturbates to.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Edit: I am possibly going to buy a non running car that is in Canada for $600. I don't intend to tag or register the car in the US, what headaches could I expect to encounter moving it here? Transportation is already handled.

I'm proud of you

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

funny Star Wars parody posted:

He didn't want to because he had just lost his son and it was all too much

Joe Biden is one of the rare exceptions to the rule all politicans are pieces of poo poo.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

GG, 10pm and it's 39.8C

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

InitialDave posted:

Meanwhile, in The North (tm):

Drunk as gently caress, dumb as gently caress, looking to gently caress.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Ether Frenzy posted:

All chocolate is a huge waste of calories that could be used on booze.

Them's fighting words mate. There is no such thing as booze worth more than chocolate

fridge corn posted:

Chocolate has its time and place but honestly I'm not a huge fan

:getout:

i considered filing when i gave her a timtam and she didnt like it, i have little hope that a dairy milk would help :rip:

WHUT. A woman that doesnt like TimTams????? How the hell is that even possible?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I am allergic to chocolate

My sincere condolances, chocolate is the best food of all

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

freelop posted:

That's not how you spell beer

Beer is about as worthwhile to drink as a barrel of cat piss. Chocolate on the other hand rules

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

cursedshitbox posted:

You get it. AI was this back in the day. not so much anymore.

Have you seen the WRX I'm trying to fix....?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

KozmoNaut posted:

I know some people who are into cars, but it's a lot less common than with previous generations.

Previous generations also had to have their heads under the bonnent a lot. Cars are just appliances in the main now for the majority of drivers and there's a generation growing up who didnt spend time with their father (usually) while the car was being maintained.

Plus...... well even since I've had a license, being silly on the road kinda is a lot harder to get away with. 30 years ago if I was caught 45 over, I wouldnt be thrown into the back of a police car and my license suspended ont he spot, I could pull a burnout without my car being confiscated for 3 months at best, back roads were much more clear of traffic with less lane markings disallowing overtaking and being a hoon wasnt seen as being extremely antisocial.

Hell, the cops would would be more likely to engage you in a street race and give you a thumbs up if you had a obviously worked off its nut car. Dont dare mod your car now, you'll break half a dozen laws doing it.

And then we get to racing. Oh boooooy that's changed too. It's much more expensive and the safety requirements are often much higher - as an example I was rallying without a cage - and also without a helmet. Completely legal. The next rally car will start with 5 grand worth of cage because that's the minimum allowed, let alone the other mandatory equipment that drives the prices waaaay up.

Then we also have the point that competeing interests were either non existant or much less. These days kids have a lot more things to do for cheaper, let alone they dont have to leave the computer to do it.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Goober Peas posted:

So here's part of my categorical hatred of boomers. They'll take whichever side of an issue gives them a platform to stand on, provides them a benefit, and/or strokes their ego. My parents were very much engaged in the activism movements in the late 60s - early 70s. Namely because that was *the* bandwagon to jump on. They're very much on the Trump bandwagon now. It has nothing to do with the issues or the people themselves and everything to do with being on the grandstand.

That's hosed up. And it's not just my parents I see doing this.

Am I the only person who is getting more progressive(*) the older they get......?

(I know there's plenty but GG some days the mind loving boggles how yesterday's hippies have become today's conservative fucktards)

(*) And I dont mean Liberal. Liberal to me means Libertarian and that poo poo is no loving way to run a decent functional society

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Powershift posted:

Access to information and access to other points of view will make a person more progressive.

Traditionally, as a person got older, their circle of friends and acquaintances got smaller and discussions turn into an echo chamber. willingness to seek out new information declines.

If that was true, the hippies would have stayed hippies. Instead, the surfer dudes of the 60's are the ones yelling for the dogs to be unleashed on the Millenial rabble. There's much more at work here than simply echo chamber

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

I'm not expecting the world on a plate, but there's something seriously hosed up when my generation is facing a lower quality of life than the one before through no fault of our own.

That be the truth. Even if I *just* got my education without a huge debt, the amount of insane cost increases and hell, the way health care is being rear end hosed is leading to a very sorry end for a lot of younger people. Hell, it's not like it's that pretty for the Gen X'ers either - we've had our saving destroyed and jobs aren't exactly paying enough to cover housing and trying to save for some sort of retirement. Let alone the damage from the Boomers is now more and more ours to fix and just how the gently caress are we supposed to that with the way the Boomers have stacked the deck, let alone there's still a bunch of Boomers still in positions of power who have huge power, still wont gently caress off and stop making GBS threads the place up until they die (Koch Brothers, Rupert Murdoch etc)

Let alone the Boomers vote against what would help the Gen X'ers and Millenials fix poo poo

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

I read an article recently that described millennial being ready and willing to take over leadership as the boomers retire and how it is apparently irking Gen X'ers because they're mad that they were ok with the boomer status quo and that the millennial spirit want to come in and change everything to be more fair

I wish I could find it but it was a great article

Like we are happy with the status quo. The writer is a fuckwit

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sinestro posted:

I don't know how to have my best friend not murder me. His girlfriend broke up with him because she found out that he's friends with me, at first because he's not allowed to talk to any other women for any reason and then later because she found out that I'm trans and will therefore condemn him to hell... I made the mistake of telling him good riddance, because holy gently caress of course, but he's not ready to see it yet.

Wooooow yeah he well rid of her.

Im with Rhyno lay low for a bit till he sees it for himself.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Rhyno posted:

Don't forget about the boomerangs

Ah now Boomerangs arent actually used to hit your target! They were more used to startle birds and kangaroos into traps. The non returning ones that are used for direct animal stunning / killing are better caleld throwing sticks or Kylies. Also used as clubs, digging sticks and Corroboree instruments.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Sinestro posted:

We are, drat it. You've transferred your Friend Energy to me or some poo poo.

I've never met her but nothing he's said about her gives me any impression of her other than that she's taking advantage of my friend's insecurities to just completely control his life. She's not going to be able to move back from Bolivia for a few years, for added bonus spinelessness points. I guess having her scream at him and aggravate the poo poo out of his horrible depression to the point where just in the time I've known him he's been suicidal at least twice because of her, once to the point of voluntarily checking himself in to a facility because of how hosed up he was for years while just waiting for her to come back is more important than everyone else.

WTF??

I hope he sees very soon he has to get rid of her and the sooner the better. That poo poo is just fuuuuuuucked up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

34C at 4:30am when I left the house this morning. After 44C daytime.

34 loving C?????? That's just hosed up. We're now at the point where Australians switch from snide "You think your lovely country is hot?" to "For fucks sake, this is ridiculous" 37C already and climbing too.

• Locked thread