Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I'm apparently going to some sort of secret speakeasy tonight. All I've been told is a place, a time and the instructions to get in.

Should be an interesting night, to say the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

"Hey there I am an investment advisor I will take good care of your money, I'll even sign a piece of paper promising I will, scout's honour!"

*is literally Bernie Madoff*

Sorry Adiabatic I'm going to have to agree with Cat and the 'pimp. A declaration of fiduciary duty isn't some magic ticket that will magically save your money if it turns out your advisor is a crook, and with your country's lax attitude toward white-collar crime, good luck turning it into something enforceable.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Hey

Hey you

You like cars and video games, right?

Well, after many, many delays and missed deadlines, I've finally launched my next racing challenge for Automation. Come check it out!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

the spyder posted:

Random question of the day: What keeps you motivated?

I have my own issues going on, but I realized a while ago I have no goals. I wake up each day wondering why I keep going when there's no point. Yet somehow at the 10% of normal I'm working at, I'm still more productive then my friends. It's just so crippling. I'm not trying to jump on the millennial "I need to do something meaningful bandwagon", but gently caress it sure feels better when I feel like I have a purpose. Right now, I'm just standing in a dimly lit field, wondering why am I here?

Setting goals helps out a lot, I find...and they don't need to be huge, life-changing goals either. For example, I had two very inconsequential goals today; first, push that loving Automation game challenge I've been working on for the last year out the door, and second, go to the gym and lift my pre-holiday weight again.

Got both done, and it feels good, silly as that sounds. Tomorrow's goal is to knock down some very annoying and time-consuming administrative tasks at work that I've been putting off for a while now.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

fridge corn come save us from this Mac vs PC pissing match, please!

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

What's everybody's favorite thing they're in the middle of right now?

e: this isnt a joke or whatever I'm curious

I'm really enjoying running my Automation challenge right now...sounds lame I know but watching people build virtual race cars is still a lot of fun for me. :unsmith:

Speaking of which, AI, why haven't I heard from y'all yet? :v:

Also I am in the middle of some other silly little projects around the house that, while none of them are particularly consequential, give me joy from the satisfaction of a job well done.

Good thing too because I'm gonna have to ride this wave through the poo poo sandwich of expensive dental work (a good part of which isn't covered by my company's lovely group health plan) that I will need to deal with in the next few weeks.

fridge corn posted:

Have you ever read Tai-pan?

The whole Clavell Asia Saga is worth reading. I especially enjoyed Whirlwind.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

Liquid Communism posted:

Has Automation stopped being a sack of crap? :v:

Generally yes. All the save bugs are gone now, and it generally runs pretty good overall. There is a fair bit of new content (including a light campaign mode, mostly put in to try out all the math they are going to use in the real thing), and starting with the next version, they're going to be running on the Unreal Engine, which has dramatically improved the appearance and, well, just about everything, from what I can tell. This is their most recent dev update if you're wondering:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TOtRWv0Mi4U

Also, the challenge I built should be a little more friendly too this time around, even if it has gained more complexity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

As long as we get more covering why the whole shitfight started in the first place and how the narrative of OUR BRAVE SOLDIERS FIGHTING FOR DEM FREEDOMS!!!! is in fact a rancid bunch of crap.

The thing that stuck with me is how the soldiers of WW1 were so clear on how loving stupid the whole thing was. So many of them just bluntly say it - they fought for nothing and they were suckered in by lies to give up their lives in a pointless bloodfest. They HATED the patriotism that crept into remembrance services towards the end of their lives.

I would love to be able to say the truth about Gallipoli without being strung up - Gallipoli was a stupid pointless invasion of a country the ANZACS had no quarrel with. The current wave of jingoistic bullshit that surrounds WW1 really pisses me off - No one died for your freedoms, they died in a meat grinder for no good reason at all. And maybe the lessons of WW1 might actually be learnt by more people.

Fascism doesn't work unless you have some great victory or sacrifice you can harken back to.

• Locked thread