Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm going over to my brother's place this year. I normally don't get shitfaced on new years but I may attempt to do so this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
What style?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I find that fruit lambics are a great way to ease into sour beers. Try a kriek (cherry), or a framboise (raspberry), though avoid ones that have fruit-syrup added prior to bottling if you want the real experience.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My grandfather on my dad's side basically worked his way from essentially nothing to having left each of his three children a $250k after being retired from Sears for over twenty years.

The store in my hometown still says Sears and Roebuck on the building.

But yeah, over the last decade or so, things have really changed. I remember when you could go to Sears at any time they were open and the store would be crowded. Now, more often than not, you are the only customer in the entire place.

E: I also miss RadioCrap, there's not a single store in this sorry excuse for a city that sells discrete components and I hate having to do 25-50pc minimum buys from digikey and the like. My favourite surplus/electronics type store though is this place in Orlando named Skycraft Parts and Surplus, it's the only thing I truly miss about the US because you could find and buy so much neat poo poo there, and components were sold by weight!

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 03:23 on Jan 3, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'll break down your voltage.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My mazda 6 threw a new CEL today. Instead of P0126, which went away after I threw in both a new sensor and thermostat, it is now P0128: Coolant Thermostat (Coolant Temperature Below Thermostat Regulating Temperature). Initial searches indicate faulty thermostat.

:shepicide:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's having zero problems heating up. Coolant hits 85C and stays there once the engine is warm. The new tstat is 85C and I think the original is 80C, which I thought was a relatively minor difference between the ford and mazda versions of this engine.

Why would the ecu wait this long to complain though, I did the thermostat like what, a month ago?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Raluek posted:

Might be the coolant temp sensor, then. If your gauge shows that it's getting up to temp, but the computer doesn't think it's at temp, the computer's sender might be out of whack. Can you back-probe the ECU sensor to see if its reading matches your gauge?

Actually, it's new enough that you can probably ask the computer directly via OBD2 what it thinks the coolant temp is. Is that where you got your 85C number from?

Yeah, I have a bluetooth obdii plug and used torque to poll the temp from the ECU.

The new sensor did come apart twice when I went to install it. Third time I redid the crimp and added some superglue but now suddenly I feel like I should pop the hood and put my hand back there and make sure it isn't loose and highly consider putting the old one back in since it wasn't the faulty part last time.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Three-Phase posted:

No kinkshaming!

Well, what if my kink is breaking down voltage? What then, huh?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
This morning as I was pulling out of the driveway, oil light, brake light, cel, and tcs light came on and the engine died. Fired up again fine, no idiot lights, otherwise uneventful drive in. Start car near the end of shift so it'll be warm after I clock out, 10 seconds after starting, CEL comes on. Haven't read the code yet, but I'm doubting it's going to be P0128 after 10 seconds of runtime. :bang:

Severe winter storm warnings, whiteout conditions, and oh, I have to drive to work in a blizzard, tomorrow morning.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've been using both the internet and computers for almost as long as I've been alive, always thought I'd end up working in a related field and in fact went to school for computer engineering. I won't go into a shitload of detail, but I dropped out before finishing due to a multitude of reasons. In fact, I think it's still somewhat expected of me (despite being 30 and lacking the resources or motivation) to be the next engineer with a degree and an iron ring because dad has a doctorate in EE.

I have no student debt, my housing costs amount to about $500/m. Aside from my HS diploma, I hold a forklift operator's license, which means that when print does die, I will likely have years of experience on a forktruck and be able to get a material handling job just about anywhere until they start requiring people with degrees in robotic material handling or something.

I digress.

Anyways, dropping out wasn't the bad life choice it can turn out to be for most because I took a $30k/y job at a startup in Toronto doing photomask layouts for analog and digital circuits (sepecifically a SERDES that we licensed out). Some companies call that position Layout Engineer, so in some way, I kinda did make it, though my title was Physical Designer (as were all the degreed engineers doing the same job I was). That company eventually got bought by Intel and my bad life choices lead me to eventually using my small share of that to acquire a house (2014) and two derelict trucks (2009 and 2011 iirc, respectively), in a "city" in bumfuck nowhere, ontario. This resulted in me having a small financial crisis and me applying for a call-in-as-needed $12/h factory grunt job for one of the world's largest printing companies in one of the (if not the) largest facilities on this continent.

I made $18k in 2015, barely scraped by thanks solely to my lack of mortgage payments, there were several multi-month periods I went without any income at all, I even considered selling the trucks, but my folks helped me out with my property taxes so I wouldn't have to. My personal debt during this time reached about $4000 and it was a constant source of sleepless nights for me. After 3 months of no work (summer 2015), I got a call from my boss asking me if I was interested in becoming part-time on-shift which meant more reliable hours (still call-in but priority over the flex pool I was in due to having an assigned shift). This included a basic benefits packaged, paid for by the company, and a nice little raise that put me at $12.62.

Then at the end of the year, I found out I qualified for a nice portion of the company profit share (which was literally 15% of my income for the year), got a stellar employee review, which a raise that put me north of $13, but before that even happened, I was informed I'd be getting promoted to part-time set-crew on a machine (priority over regular part-timers, it's a convoluted system), and ended up at $14.03/h. The nice thing was this also meant almost regular paycheques, at a whopping $900 after-tax, except during the summer, but instead of 3 months of no work, it was more like 1 month of 2 shifts and 1 month of 8 shifts. 2016 income, $28k, will get the majority of my income taxes back, mostly thanks to my absurd property taxes and the Liberal Government I Did Not Vote For.

Then our baler operator's heart stopped on his back porch at home, only a few months after he'd been promoted to the position after the sudden death of our previous baler operator. He survived, but whether or not he can return to work is still up in the air. In September, they posted a backup baler operator position, to cover until he returned since our existing backup operator also happens to run one of our somewhat more important machines. I got the job because I happen to have experience operating heavy machinery. Instant increase to $15.74/h, along with pay level increase from 1 to 2 that put me at $16.11/h and has me on a series of set raises until I hit $17.54/h over the next three years. Also, all level 2 and higher positions are fulltime, regardless of whether or not I'm needed as backup or on the machine I'm set-crew for, I am not a slave to call-ins anymore and I get 26 paycheques a year and my math says my before tax income, not including profit share or nightshift/weekend premiums, puts me just north of $35k projected fof 2017. I am now literally being paid more to drive a forklift and run necessary-for-production equipment than I was designing Integrated Circuits and maintaining perl scripts. Current job has essentailly zero supervision, can take breaks whenever I want, have a fridge, a comfy office chair, a desk, no computer, and all the paper scrap and paper dust you could possibly imagine.

Started in September of 2014, by September of 2016 I'd gotten 3 promotions and $4.11/h in raises. Every review I've had has been stellar and there's also talk about making me the full baler operator since it is unlikely our current one will be able to do the job with a pacemaker. Unfortunately that comes with no raise, no paylevel change, or anything, because the balers, despite being intrinsic to the operation of the plant, are considered non-essential because we don't generate revenue. I am somewhat worried that they're going to offer it to me, because most baler operators end up being in there forever and I'm worried I'll be stuck there until print finally dies making the $20/h my pay level tops out at. My debt is now about $2500, and going down steadily every payday, should be debt-free before I'm 31. Sure, my income is small, but my housing costs amount to less than a quarter of my new income, so yay!

Got a phone number on NYE too, I think, I think, I'm going to call it. :unsmith:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Raluek posted:

Yikes, dude. Isn't the CAD weak right now, making that $16 actually $12? For reference, the last in-n-out I was at had a sign on the door indicating that they were hiring burger flippers starting at $14 an hour. I'd bet your housing costs are significantly lower than ours are, though :v:

That said, I'm also trying to get into chip design. While there are plenty of job opportunities here, there are probably 100 applicants per position, so it's not easy.

If you've got that experience, I'd think your lack of degree wouldn't matter. Most of the job postings I've seen have said something like "degree or equivalent experience."

Yeah, but most of my experience is with Tanner L-Edit, not Cadence. I also don't know TCL/TK and can't write code to generate digital circuits.

Now, if you want to convert between verilog and cif formats, I wrote a script that can do it.

E: I might also still be under a non-compete.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meltie posted:

I like cars

Eh, cars are alright, but I'm more fond of trucks myself.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meltie posted:

What about the minitruck on Roadkill?

I don't watch Roadkill.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

meltie posted:

Still, I watched the latest one with the bagged minitruck in for a laugh.

Commandment II: Thou shalt not bag thy truck.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Today's hilarious thing of the now for me is this: https://www.twitch.tv/seebotschat

They fight like a real couple.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
So last night I got backed into in a parking lot by a guy who wasn't looking. Luckily he didn't shoot out of the space and he was to my left and had room to brake once I honked my wtf.

Unfortunately, my car was completely unharmed except for a little bit of paint transfer on the rear driver's wheel well (that didn't even get bent). I am still not freed from the shackles of my Mazda 6.

Basically I dodged right just enough for it to be a love tap, if I'd gotten over another inch or two, probably wouldn't have even hit. Other car has a small dent in the bumper but the other driver is at fault here so that's his problem not mine.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The clothing quality thing is real, compare stuff from factory outlet stores to department stores.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Surprisingly, despite what's shown on tv and in movies, car doors aren't bullet proof, or even very resistant.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My brother has worked for Staples for the better part of a decade and is basically one of their best sales guys in the province. They've been under paying him and not promoting him for various reasons (one of which is his high sales numbers).

Today he put in his 2 weeks, and in 2 weeks he'll be a parts and service desk jockey at the local VW dealership, with a 5k/y pay bump.

:yotj:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
It's cartoons.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I still think nothing says freedom like a full fuel tank.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
The coolant system in my '05 Mazda 6 is starting to make me really regret ever owning a vehicle produced after the mid 90s.

CTS didn't come loose again like I'd thought, thermostat is fine, needle is doing the funkydance and the ECU can't decide if it's P0126, P0128, or some combination of the two.

Honestly, I don't really blame capitalism, computers, automation, or any of that for millenials being ignorant of the world outside a screen. I blame the internet, or more specifically, the web, and firmly believe that Tim Berners-Lee should be tried for his crimes against humanity.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
My Mazda 6 is now throwing U0121 codes which the internet tells me means that the ABS module is having some intermittent connectivity problems. The ABS seems to be working fine (and kicked in a few times care of the freezing rain we're having), but I...

I can't do it anymore. If I have to drive this car for another week I am going to go apeshit. There's absolutely no way that I can get the cruiser road-worthy and plated anytime soon (mostly because winter).

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/owen-sound/1993-ford-f150/1231856974?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Anyone want to buy my car for the $1100 I need to hop on the F150 train?

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

I'm not laughing because I'm happy, or crying because I'm sad.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Maybe, but I don't want to keep this shitheap going anymore. Regardless of the root cause, I'm cleaning the car tomorrow, putting all its documentation in order (it does have a full service history in a 2" thick file folder), and tossing it up on Kijiji as is. I'll drive it as is until it sells and then cancel my insurance if I don't have a vehicle to transfer it to. For the next while I guess I can take cabs to work and 90% of the time my parents pick up my dogs after I leave for work so it's not like I have to drive outside the city much for the next 3 weeks anyways if they're willing to bring them home after my shift blocks.

I hope the guy selling that F150 gets back to me, if it's a few hundred bucks or less away from road legality, I'll totally hop on the Ford 5.0 train if I can scrounge up enough from the Mazda.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Suffer not a GNU installation to live.

Why not just build a computer and install Darwin with XNU? The only differences between that and OSX is that it is OSX without Aqua, Cocoa, and AppleTax.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
If it ain't meat, cheese, tomato sauce, and bread, it ain't right. :colbert:

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
No gods, no mods. Anarchy in the streets.

We need Max Rockatansky.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I hate the fact you can't sell anything on kijiji in this county without everyone coming out of the woodwork to offer you $200 for your running and driving car. Maybe I should just part the bitch out and sawsall into the trash what I can't sell.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Adiabatic posted:

Personally I meditate. It's not everyone's bag but it works for me.

I smoke weed, sometimes it even helps me go to sleep. :v:

Living with insomnia while working 12 hour shifts on a continental rotation (4 nights, 3 days, 3 nights, 4 days with varying time off in between) basically means I sleep 2-4 hours in between shifts and then never really catch back up.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've had this persistant sore throat for the past week and otherwise I feel completely fine when my lungs aren't aching from coughing up so much phlegm.

Boss still said I looked like hell and gave me the shift block off, with pay despite me not having any actual sick days.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I've got some goon sauce for you right here iffin' ye get me meanin'.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
Well, my house has an empty spare room.

No garage on the property, but I have lots of parking and a concrete pad in the backyard for shenanigans.

So, to any Americans looking to bail, $400/m + we split utilities. No kids, you gotta be able to put up with my border collies, and you gotta be able to put up with me. I am willing to provide you with a residence while you immigrate and can potentially help you get a jerb if you don't mind getting paid around $12/h and not working fulltime. Prices in CAD.

I don't have any furniture in it right now but that's something that can be worked out, room's like 12x12 or 14x14 or some poo poo like that.

E: Google "Owen Sound" for pictures of your bleak future.

Fermented Tinal fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Jan 29, 2017

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I did it, I left the Shitshine State to move back home to the frozen wastes of my forefathers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

funny Star Wars parody posted:

also the world is going to poo poo no matter where you try to flee to so buckle in boyos because it's about to get real drat bumpy

Hold my beer and watch this!

• Locked thread