Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Somewhat Heroic posted:

:master:
2017 will be off to a good start. I have a pork shoulder smoking on the grill

Sounds delish. Pork that's been smoking for hours upon hours is heaven.

What are the New Years traditions people here do?

Ours is pretty much :corsair: now, and has been for about the past 10 years. Instead of going to a house party and getting pie-eyed, we've been getting together with the same friends. Evening starts out with a great dinner, typically steak or prime rib at the Keg, and then go over to either of our places (they live in Winnipeg but have family to visit here) and play cards or something similar. The best part is catching up on stories from the past year as they are both teachers (well one is a school principal) and the true train wreck tales of humanity are fascinating.

OT: Without wading into the games sub forum, anyone here have firsthand experience with Vive?

I am thinking of picking one up for Elite and a couple other sims but I am a little concerned about the resolution not good enough. Running 6700K and 980ti.

slidebite fucked around with this message at 17:56 on Dec 31, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

rdb posted:

On the subject of tools and tires, does anyone do tires at home? I keep going back and forth on the idea. A new Chinese machine and balancer combo with motorcycle adapters would set me back about $2500 from Greg smith equipment, or I could piece together a setup of CL for slightly less. eBay has a balancer and machine combo for about $1200 shipped but I would need to get MC adapters and service would not be available locally.
Every time I need to do anything with tires/wheels, I'm in the exact same conundrum. If they weren't so loving big I would have bought something years ago.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I'm genuinely :3: that's the name they went with.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Jesus christ I should know never to go shopping when hungry. Went to the store at lunch to pick up a couple small things, and indeed, I picked up said small things, but a 1kg (2.5lb) bag of jumbo sour soothers made its way into my shopping basket as well

:smith:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Seat Safety Switch posted:

On Thursday night my older cat Smokie passed away. She was only 9, and my heart is broken :(

I miss her a lot already. She was my first cat.

It's been a bad couple of years for pets at my household.
Sorry to hear that man. :glomp:

It's tough. You're always going to see her out of the corner of your eye too.

Darchangel posted:

WalMart: driving the race to the bottom.
Again: who is going to buy your crap when you run every manufacturer in America out of business? Those fuckers need to be leashed, and now, though I'm not sure by what authority or legality anyone can do it.
It's pretty much too late already on the retail end of any business of consequence/scale. Companies are always using the "Shareholder value" excuse be it sellers or manufacturers. And it is true shareholders benefit (a lot of people have those shares as part of their funds for savings/retirement if they indeed have any), but at the same time people always seem to want to pay as little as they can at retail and will search high and low to save 3% on a $25 item.

I actually had a run-in with a factory technical sales rep just today on $75,000 worth of :911: US-MADE :911: heavy 6" pitch industrial chain. After the end user received it here locally, I was looking at it with them and saw a tag that said "MADE IN CHINA BY (US COMPANY) TO (US COMPANY) SPECIFICATIONS." Keep in mind this company has absolutely PRIDED itself on being MADE IN THE USA, #1, RAH-RAH MAKE SURE YOU DON'T BUY ANY lovely JAPANESE OR CHINESE PRODUCT!!!!

So when I called him on it he said "Yeah, I know, but it's THE EXACT SAME AS OUR STUFF HERE SO DON'T WORRY" so when I asked if I can expect a refund of around 30% because it sure as hell cost them a poo poo-ton less to make and my client and I pay a premium for their product, he had an uncomfortable chuckle. I told him congratulations on basically losing the only reason many people still like dealing with them (being made in the USA) and you made your life a whole lot more difficult going forward because you're now glomped in with everyone else and it's going to be a straight pricing game.

We had another run in with a very well known large North American Aluminum manufacturer a couple years ago where they literally locked key contract suppliers in a room at their head office and said "You are not leaving until you can lower our prices by 20%." Keep in mind these contracts are fixed margins, typically anywhere from single digits to low teens if you are lucky and they usually don't pay their bills worth a poo poo. Our guys thought about it for 5 minutes, said "No." there was no possible way we can do a reduction like that across the board. Maybe there was other ways to save money a little outside the box...?

The company refused and said they needed an outright price reduction, so we said we couldn't. The aluminum company then said our relationship would end. As much as I dislike the agreements some of these corporate account fucks get us into, I'll give them a pat on the back for saying no and waking out on those dinks.

The ironic thing, even though we almost immediately lost the corporate contract the local factory still insist on doing business with us (and I understand it is similar elsewhere) but since we are now out of the contract we can actually profit with them :buddy:

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Oh my god. Without going into political chat too far, Trump just asked Robert Kennedy Jr to chair a task force into "Vaccination Safety"

An anti-vaccer talking about "debating the science" under a presidential mandate should horrify everybody, not just Americans.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/health/trump-asks-skeptic-to-probe-vaccine-safety-alarming-doctors-1.3235732

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

BraveUlysses posted:

Looks like a Mazda 6
I was going to say 2 door 90s Grand Am but I see that too.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

PJ Pizza is hardly gourmet, but in the world of fast food pizza it's far from the worst.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

CharlesM posted:

The Chicago pizza place near me closed :(

I was in Billings this past week and had some deep dish @ Chicago Pizza and Taphouse. It was surprisingly good and the b-side 90s video mix playing in the background in the lounge was awesome. Their Thai Chicken, while not as good as Boston Pizzas Thai Chicken original of circa 2002, was still drat good and had a better crust.

9/10 would go again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

Well, poo poo. John Hurt is dead.

• Locked thread