Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Kind of surprised that they're not doing the Obariyon/Sea Stars team.

So the King of Trios teams are as follows:

In-House Teams
Casa Dorada (Juan Francisco de Coronado, Cornelius Crummels and Sonny Defarge)
House Bike Cops (Donald Kluger, Jasper Tippins and Officer Warren Barksdale)
House Furies (Fire Ant, Solo Darling and Travis Huckabee)
House Rot (Frightmare, Hallowicked and Kobald)
House Seven Seas (Cajun Crawdad, Hermit Crab and Merlok)
House Xyberhawx (Nytehawk, Razerhawk and Sylverhawk)

Mixed Teams
House Throwbacks (Dasher Hatfield, Mark Angelosetti and Simon Grimm)

Regular Guest Teams
House Sendai Girls (Cassandra Miyagi, Dash Chisako and Meiko Satomura)
House Strong Style (Pete Dunne, Trent Seven and Tyler Bate)

New Guest Teams
House Attack (Chief Deputy Dunne, Jim Obstruction and Lee Obstruction)
House Bodyslam (Emeritus, Michael Fynne and Vasyl)
House Calamari (Chris Brookes, Elijah and Kid Lykos)
House Fight Club (Kyle Fletcher, Millie McKenzie and Omari)
House Revival (Jody Fleisch, Johnny Moss and Jonny Storm)
House Sports (Danny Boy Collins, James Mason and Mal Sanders)
House WhiteWolf (A-Kid, Adam Chase and Zayas)

This will be the first King of Trios without Icarus on any of the teams, meaning the only wrestler to compete in every tournament is Hallowicked.

Other notable names missing: Ophidian, DUSTIN, Oleg, Missile Assault Man, Lucas Calhoun, Chuck Taylor TM, Los Ice Creams, Jeremy Leary, Race Jaxon (injured), the Whisper (entered in Rey de Voladores), Max Smashmaster, Wani.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

frankenfreak posted:

Hmmm, yes, the UK referendum and election results were so much better... :negative:

Hallowgovna is going to lead the BreXed Men to victory.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

On Saturday, they're doing Chikarasaurus Rex: Flesh and Stone at 3pm. It's the last Chikara show before King of Trios and it'll be streaming on Chikaratopia. Here are the matches announced:

Juan Francisco de Coronado defends the Grand Championship against Rory Gulak

This is without a doubt the most boring Chikara Grand Championship matchup ever, offset by some good booking. Juan Francisco is the first truly questionable champ Chikara's had (like if the Mountie became WWF Champion) and the fact that he's still on top is frustrating to watch. Rory is Drew's less charismatic brother who now works as a trainer for the Wrestle Factory. Both men took part in the Johnny Kidd Invitational tournament. In the semis, Rory defeated Zack Sabre Jr. while Juan Francisco defeated Matt Riddle. In the finals, Rory made Juan Francisco tap in under a minute, which earned him his third point.

Ophidian vs. Frightmare

Although Hallowicked is the leader of the House of Rot, Frightmare is easily the most dangerous. In the past year, he's been responsible for permanently taking out Amasis, Soldier Ant, Silver Ant and others. He's reached the point where Fire Ant is the only ant-based wrestler left in Chikara. Fire Ant himself just barely defeated Ophidian in a last man standing match. Ophidian has called out Frightmare in order to bring safety to the future of Chikara.

Icarus, Fire Ant, Solo Darling and Travis Huckabee vs. Oleg the Usurper, Kobald, Crummels and Defarge

The faces are part of the Furies, a faction put together to try and keep the House of Rot in line. On the other side is Hallowicked's henchman Kobald, who is currently hanging out with Oleg because of Oleg's honor or guilt or whatever. Either way, Oleg can't stand the little guy. Crummels and Defarge were the tag champs for much of the year until Solo Darling and Travis Huckabee (The Rumble Bees) finally defeated them. Unfortunately, right after that, Los Ice Creams cashed in their second Golden Opportunity (since each got one from winning Challenge of the Immortals) to get a Money in the Bank-type title shot and stole the belts away.

Dasher Hatfield vs. Merlok

Merlok is Chikara's latest monster heel. Other than Space Monkey being able to roll him up once, he's been unstoppable. The same can't be said for Dasher Hatfield, who has been suffering a string of losses, mainly at the hands of Merlok's King of Trios partners Hermit Crab and Cajun Crawdad. Merlok recently jumped him during one of Dasher's matches and Dasher's remarked that it's the hardest he's ever been hit.

Razerhawk defends the Young Lions Cup against Everett Connors

Razerhawk of Xyberhawx 2000 is the fifth Young Lions Cup champion since 2017 started. Since the roster is mostly made up of new guys, it makes sense that the trophy has been bouncing around from wrestler to wrestler. He'll be facing Everett Connors, who showed up at National Pro Wrestling Day as a Belieber that wrestles.

Missile Assault Man vs. The Whisper

Biding his time in the background, the Whisper is gradually building his way towards being one of the top heels in Chikara. Kind of a replacement for Kevin Condron while more inexplicable and mysterious, his deal is that he knows the secrets of everyone in the Chikara roster. He also may have Taskmaster move-stealing powers. So far he's been able to make Jeremy Leary immune to Ophidian's hypnotism and chased Kimber Lee out of the company. He had a questionable relationship with Missile Assault Man, posting pictures of his stolen diary on social media and seemingly aiding him outside the ring. But when Missile Assault Man was close to beating Juan Francisco for the Grand Championship, Juan Francisco whispered something into his ear that made MAM fall into a deep sleep. Knowing that Whisper betrayed him, MAM wants revenge.

Bike Cops vs. Sloan Caprice, Hermit Crab and Cajun Crawdad

Although Officer Warren Barksdale regularly teams up with fellow cop Bruno Meloni, he's entering King of Trios with bike enthusiasts Donald Kluger and Jasper Tippins. Sloan Caprice is kind of aimless at the moment as his boss barely shows up at Chikara and his tag partner is injured. He's teaming up with the bumbling crustaceans, who usually need their unstoppable buddy Merlok to bail them out.

Also, in other news, Lucas Calhoun recently discovered that he and Jeremy Leary are some kind of inhuman creatures created in a lab by Titor Conglomerate. He's since left Chikara to go clear his head.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Numero6 posted:

Lmao only Quack would book that final for an angle instead of Zack Sabre Jr. vs Matt Riddle.

The last two King of Trios had guest team vs. guest team finals and the last Young Lions Cup tournament had a guest wrestler go over the two new heels they're trying to build up. I think he's allowed to use a tournament to put over his own guys.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Results from the show:

Bike Cops defeat Sloan Caprice, Hermit Crab and Cajun Crawdad. At first, Sloan wanted nothing to do with his partners and sat in the front row, snacking on popcorn. Donald Kluger accidentally punched him, then got a leg injury, keeping him out of the match. Eventually, he returned and won the match for his team.

Missile Assault Man defeated the Whisper via DQ. Whisper smacked him in the junk with a metal yoyo.

Razerhawk defeated Everett Connors. Much of the last few minutes involved Razerhawk attacking both Connors and Connors' manager, a cardboard cutout of Justin Bieber.

Ophidian, alongside some druids, came out to call out Frightmare. He wanted to do a Sarcophagus Match then and there. Instead, Hallowicked appeared and said that Frightmare wasn't there. The two had a great match that Ophidian had won, but then Frightmare appeared and beat him down. Ophidian hypnotized Frightmare and got him to enter the sarcophagus, but Hallowicked recovered and finished Ophidian off with Never Wake Up. Hallowicked defeated Ophidian and the druids started to carry the sarcophagus away. Snow Troll joined them and the sarcophagus was loaded into the back of a van. One druid pulled back his hood to reveal the Whisper, who drove off with Ophidian's carcass.

Dasher Hatfield defeated Merlok with a running powerbomb. Dasher's declared himself out of his slump.

Race Jaxon defeated Sylverhawk via DQ. Race kept staring at himself in the mirror, but then a remix of "Somebody's Watching Me" started playing, Hype Rockwell ran in and laid him out.

The Furies defeated Oleg/Kobald/Crummels/Defarge. Oleg got tired of Kobald screwing around and ended up chokeslamming Crummels and Defarge. The faces had zero trouble capitalizing. Also, there seemed to be no reaction whatsoever to all the stuff that happened with Ophidian earlier.

The commentary team throughout the night was Quack and Sidney Bakabella. Bakabella got increasingly annoyed when Quack told him that he wasn't currently a manager due to Max Smashmaster being injured and therefore not being on the active roster. Bakabella cut a promo warning Quack that Smashmaster was coming for him.

Juan Francisco defeated Rory Gulak. Gulak struggled to put him in a Dragon Sleeper and Juan hit Bryce while flailing. Juan tapped, but Bryce didn't see it. Juan put Gulak in the Coronado Clutch and he passed out.

Encore: Mr. Touchdown defeated Jeremy Leary, earning him his third point.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Triple posting in honor of King of Trios, which is this weekend it seems. I hope it's good!

In the meantime, I wrote up a ten year retrospective on King of Trios because why not.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

SleepCousinDeath posted:

I refuse to believe any of this.

Why?

Wazzu posted:

Cool article, fun read. I'm suprised as a comic book nerd on a nerd website that you don't like the reference comic book covers for so many of the KoT cover arts.

The worst packaging as spoiler that I remember from Chikara was one Young Lions Cup DVD where the images on the DVD where that of the winner with his trophy.

I guess I just talked about those too much on my old site that it became a blindspot.

I still find it funny that the Transformer-themed year of KoT included a Stan Bush concert.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

What am I missing here?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Most folks think Yoshu Tatsu is dogshit

Fair enough. Though his KoT appearance was in-between his WWE release and his unfortunate NJPW run. He had a working neck and was coming off as a squandered WWE talent at the time.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Numero6 posted:

JFDC does give me Jeff Jarrett vibes...

That's exactly who I was going to compare him to. JFDC isn't bad. He's fine, but as a midcard heel. Putting him on top feels forced. He's the first Grand Champion who I felt didn't work and that's including Icarus.

It doesn't help that the company hasn't been doing much of a job building up top faces to unseat him. Mr. Touchdown has a title shot against JFDC post-Trios and they might as well pull the trigger unless they're using it to build towards Dasher winning instead.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

It wasn't KoT. There's some burlesque wrestling show called GLOB taking place at the Wrestle Factory tonight, which explains why MAM's tweet was liked by guys who aren't booked for Trios.

Took me a while to figure this out, since I didn't want to look too deep into KoT tweets due to minimizing spoilers. It just seemed especially odd that there was something apparently majorly non-family friendly going on and the only outrage I could find about KoT was someone rating it a 0 in advance because Chikara took too long to let her know if the show was wheelchair accessible.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Chinston Wurchill posted:

He lost a sarcophagus match, was revived by the Whisper, and changed his gimmick to the Ourobouros.

How quickly does stuff go up on Chikaratopia? I'm feeling nostalgic and I might plunk down a few bucks for KoT.

About two months, I'd say.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I'm watching the rough cut of Night 1 and I'm loving the stupid Party City Lucha Underground team. It's like the Asylum Films versions of Johnny Mundo, Pentagon Jr. and Matanza!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Finished watching the rough cut of all three nights. It's a really good show and all, but it definitely feels off. The Chikara roster is depleted as is and not too many of them made the trip. What you get is King of Trios with guest appearances by Chikara. Doesn't help that for the third year in a row, they did a non-Chikara vs. non-Chikara final.

Night 1

- House CCK (Chris Brookes, Kid Lykos, Elijah) defeated House Bike Cops (Officer Warren Barksdale, Jasper Tippins, Donald Kluger).

- House Rot (Hallowicked, Frightmare, Kobald) defeated House Bodyslam (Michael Fynne, Vasyl, Emeritus Midnight). House Bodyslam is the team that looks like a trio of Lucha Underground cosplayers, including a Matanza-looking guy whose gimmick is that he always carries a teddy bear and it tells him what to do.

- House Seven Seas (Hermit Crab, Cajun Crawdad, Merlok) defeated House Revival (Jonny Storm, Jody Fleisch, Jonny Moss). Seven Seas' dynamic is that even though Merlok is the current unstoppable monster in Chikara, Hermit Crab and Cajun Crawdad are two bumbling idiots who feel "Don't worry, we got this" whenever Merlok cleans house.

- House Strong Style (Pete Dunne, Tyler Bate, Trent Seven) defeated House Whitewolf (A-Kid, Adam Chase, Zayas)

- Casa Dorada (Juan Francisco de Coronado, Sonny Defarge, Cornelius Crummels) defeated House Sport (James Mason, Mal Sanders, Danny Boy Collins). Like 90% of the match was House Sport kicking Casa Dorada's asses, but then JFDC pinned one of them with his legs on the ropes.

- House Furies (Fire Ant, Solo Darling, Travis Huckabee) defeated House Fight Club (Millie Mckenzie, Kyle Fletcher, Omari). Match of the night, easily. In the end, Huckabee debuted his new finisher, a spinning stretch muffler into a slam.

- House SENDAI Girls (Meiko Satomura, DASH Chisako, Cassandra Miyagi) defeated House Xyberhawx (Sylverhawk, Razerhawk, Nytehawk).

- House Throwback (Dasher Hatfield, Mr. Touchdown, Simon Grimm) defeated House Attack (Deputy Damian Dunne, Jim Obstruction, Lee Obstruction). House Attack is a team of evil cops with a masked fat dude in their corner. Really awesome ending where the Obstruction brothers pushed Touchdown into the corner with their shoulders while Dunne climbed to the top and started wailing on him. Dasher climbed up to the top, superplexed Dunne off the Obstruction brothers and Touchdown front facelocked them in place while Dasher made the pin.

Night 2

- In the Rey de Voladores opening round, "Ophidian" defeated A-Kid, Omari and Phantasmo. Whisper is now wearing Ophidian's old mask and tights and copies his gestures and moves. If it wasn't for his tattoo, it would almost be believable. At one point he hypnotized his three opponents with a yoyo and had one double-chokeslam the others.

- Casa Dorada defeated House CCK in a rare heel vs. heel trios match. Chris Brookes' trademark is doing a camel clutch wet willy. He did it to Defarge, who in return put Brookes in the clutch, put his finger in his own ear and then put that finger in Brookes' mouth.

- In the other Rey de Voladores opener, Jody Fleisch defeated Chuck Mambo, Red Eagle, Jr. and Sylverhawk. Easily the better of the two matches and got a standing ovation.

- House SENDAI Girls defeated House Seven Seas.

- House Rot defeated House Furies. The opening several minutes was a huge brawl around the arena that wasn't picked up by the hard cam in the rough cut. Really good match that ended with Fire Ant getting his hands on Frightmare and endlessly destroying him. Despite warnings from the ref, Fire Ant refused to go for a pin and instead kept hitting Beach Breakers until being disqualified for "castigo excesivo." After the match, he continued laying into Frightmare until the other Furies and security held him back. Frightmare had to be carried off by Hallowicked and Kobald.

- Mike Quackenbush and Johnny Kidd went to a draw due to time limit. They agreed to continue on until one person got pinned and eventually Quack won with a backslide. Afterwards, the two put each other over on the mic.

- House Strong Style defeated House Throwback. Not only the best match of the weekend, but one of the all-time best King of Trios tournament matches ever.

Night 3

- House SENDAI Girls defeated Casa Dorada. Started with Casa Dorada triple-teaming Satomura, but then the SENDAI Girls turned it around and focused on one opponent at a time until winning.

- House Strong Style were announced as getting a bye to the finals due to Frightmare not being cleared and House Rot having to forfeit. Pete Dunne shrugged and smiled at the news. First time they've ever done a bye at KOT.

- Officer Warren Barksdale defeated Deputy Damian Dunne in a comedy match that played up the whole good cop vs. evil cop dynamic. Dunne's partners attacked Barksdale behind the ref's back, but the bicyclists showed up to even the odds.

- Fire Ant defeated Kobald in a squash. Fire Ant drilled him with a bunch of hard kicks to the head for a little while. After two Beach Breakers, he reluctantly made the pin and stormed off.

- Tag Gauntlet ended with Chris Brookes and Kid Lykos getting three wins, then facing Los Ice Creams (the current champs) as the tenth and final team. Due to the fatigue and stakes, it was one of the more competitive Los Ice Cream matches in a long, long time. Los Ice Creams won, undoing all of Brookes and Lykos' points.

- Merlok defeated Sylverhawk.

- In the Rey de Voladores finals, "Ophidian" defeated Jody Fleisch after a lengthy match. They fought on the outside, Fleisch was thrown headfirst into the post, was completely knocked out and "Ophidian" rolled him into the ring for a pin. Lots of ringside crew guys ran over to check up on Fleisch afterwards as "Ophidian" walked away without celebrating.

- House Strong Style defeated House SENDAI Girls to become the 2017 King of Trios. Seven and Bate were mostly polite in their grappling while Dunne would just walk into the ring and punch the women straight in the face. At one point, everyone brawled to the outside and one of them jumped off the castle entrance. On the rough cut you could just see everyone looking over at something exciting and then a leg suddenly flies across the screen. In the end, Seven and Bate each tried to hit Cassandra and DASH with Pedigrees on the edge of the ring, but they reversed it and turned it into Satomura vs. Dunne. Dunne eventually hit the Bitter End and that was it.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

KungFu Grip posted:

Come on Gavok, you're the comic book guy, you should know a Bane reference when you see it.

Listen, when you just see the dude from the shoulders up, yes, he's Injustice 2 Bane.

When you see his full body and he's standing next to Off-Brand Johnny Mundo and Low-Rentagon Jr., he's totally Bargain Bin Matanza.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

I think KFG is talking about the Osito-esque teddy bear

Huh. I totally forgot that was a thing. My bad.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They livestreamed a show on Chikaratopia today and even though it just ended, I forgot most of it. Rory Gulak made Hallowicked tap out and JFDC defeated Mr. Touchdown. Nothing of importance and we're still stuck in a never-ending JFDC title reign.

There's two months to kill before the season finale and Fire Ant currently has 3 points, so I suppose they're building towards Dasher winning the title in the finale.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They aired a new Hour of Power today. Actually a decent show, if a bit weird. Whisper-as-Ophidian defeated Razerhawk for the Young Lions Cup championship. He straight-up hypnotized him and easily pinned him, which is cheap as hell.

One of the matches was Travis Huckabee vs. Rory Gulak, which went on longer than they kayfabe expected to the point of knocking Obariyon vs. Merlok off the show, which itself even had a video package setup early in the episode. I know they're going for realism, but I can't help but wonder if one of them no-showed. Icarus showed up halfway into the match to show support for Huckabee, but Gulak won and then acted especially heelish at Icarus.

They also brought up that the site has a blog post from Officer Meloni, saying that he's done with Chikara.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

According to his profile on the site, he's had nine matches. Two came from the secret season.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

One of the upcoming Chikara shows is said to have Oleg and Kobald vs. the Osirian Portal. Considering Whisper is currently pretending to be Ophidian, I'm curious who "Amasis" will be.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

coconono posted:

Is Ultramantis done with Chikara? Sposto on Powerbomb commentary kinda alluded to it.

Yeah. He basically spent a year and a half "retired" due to a leg injury but remained a major on-screen character, albeit confined to a wheelchair. At the end of 2016, he was able to get out of his chair and chase away Hallowicked. The beginning of 2017's season made it seem like he was going to announce coming out of retirement, but instead they did the "secret season" swerve by revealing that he was already Grand Champion. After a couple months, he dropped the title to Juan Francisco followed soon after with UltraMantis taking part in a comedic 8-man tag with guys from the early days of Chikara. At the end of the tag match, he did a big curtain call to make it apparent that he was done with the company.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

They did two shows in Chicago on Saturday. Here's the results:

DEEP BREATH

- Travis Huckabee defeated Everett Connors.

- Crummels and DeFarge defeated the Carnies.

- Jeremy Leary defeated Space Monkey.

- Merlok defeated Missile Assault Man. Crowd was apparently super into MAM.

- "The Osirian Portal" defeated Oleg and Kobald, who still aren't on the same page. The new Amasis is a white dude in black trunks with a similar physique. No idea who he is under the mask.

- Dasher Hatfield defeated Moose after two Jackhammers.

A GOOD MAN GOES TO WAR

- Proletariat Boar defeated Mr. Touchdown. Apparently the ending was so good that the fans cheered Boar on. He seems to have three points now.

- Hallowicked defeated Solo Darling.

- Hype Rockwell defeated Race Jaxon by DQ after Race low-blowed him. Race hit him in the junk a second time after the match while ranting that Hype is nothing without him.

- Icarus defeated Rory Gulak.

- Hermit Crab and Cajun Crawdad defeated Razerhawk and Sylverhawk, mainly due to Razerhawk being taken out of commission early on.

- Juan Francisco made Fire Ant tap to the Coronado Clutch.

- Comedy encore match where Los Ice Creams defeated Dez Peloton.

That leaves a weekend of shows in November and the finale in the beginning of December.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

In the past few weeks they did an Hour of Power and a handful of major shows. The only show left this season is the finale, which will be live on Chikaratopia on December 2. Here's some stuff that's happened:

- Gran Akuma is back because why not.

- Obaryon is gone and from the looks of it, there's some kind of behind-the-scenes fallout with it. He was supposed to take on Merlok on Hour of Power and they even started the episode off with a video package, but then the match of Huckabee vs. Rory Gulak went on for a long while and Quack said that it was bumping Obaryon/Merlok. Whether that was Quack actually bumping the match for novelty's sake or a cover for a no-show, I can't say. On the next installment, they had the match and Obaryon wrestled without facepaint. I was watching it on mute, so I don't know if there was an explanation (from what I read, Dasher on commentary was incredulous that Obaryon was "just some guy"), but Merlok destroyed him and Obaryon is now on the alumni part of the roster page.

- Max Smashmaster retired from wrestling after finally having his blow-off match against Quack. The match had both Bryce and Bakabella as refs, but Quack accidentally knocked out Bryce. Quack got Max in an armbreaker and even though Max tapped, Bakabella refused to acknowledge it. Finally the match ended with Max begging the timekeeper to ring the bell.

- With the Whisper acting as Ophidian, the original Ophidian showed up to attack him while dressed as 17.

- Dasher Hatfield got wins over Moose and Keith Lee, setting him up for a title shot at the finale.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Wazzu posted:

That poo poo sounds stupid. Max Smashmaster's last match in wrestling was him telling the timekeeper "I'm done with being a wrestler, just ring the bell I'm going home"?

He went out on his back as closure to a two-year-long storyline where the heel had the advantage and still lost decisively. Then a day or so later announced his retirement. Why is that "sad?"

Besides, I've been wanting to see that happen in a match for years. Whenever a face has a submission locked on and there's either a heel manager on the apron or a heel ref refusing to pay attention, the face always lets go like an idiot to argue and ultimately lose. It's refreshing to finally see a face realize that there's no reason to let go.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Anyway, the finale is this Saturday and here are the matches announced:

- Juan Francisco de Coronado defends the Chikara Grand Championship against Dasher Hatfield: Back in April, JFDC defeated UltraMantis Black for the title. Since then, he's been regularly defending it against nearly all the veterans of Chikara and coming out on top one way or another. It's reached the point where there's barely anyone left for him to fight. Seemingly the last viable option is Dasher Hatfield, who earned his three points by defeating Merlok (the current monster hoss), Moose and Keith Lee.

- Hype Rockwell vs. Race Jaxon: The former tag champs NRG started to have some friction at the end of season 16 and by the beginning of season 18, Race was on his own as a heel model type. The secret 17th season revealed that Race turned on his partner by dropping a big piece of the set onto him. Hype returned later in season 18 and started attacking Race to the tune of "Somebody's Watching Me." They finally had a match, but Race low-blowed Hype to get a DQ, then beat him down after the match. Basically, your standard tag team split grudge match, but with more Rockwell.

- Xyberhawx 2000 vs. Hermit Crab/Cajun Crawdad: A team of bird-based superheroes from the year 2000 have been feuding with a couple of bumbling crustacean heels and... man, I miss the Colony.

- Mr. Touchdown vs. Hallowicked: Pretty sure there's no story here. Just two of the top guys who happen to have absolutely nothing going on right now.

- The Rumblebees vs. Crummels and DeFarge: At the end of the secret season, Crummels and DeFarge won the tag titles. They beat most of the division and usually made fun of Los Ice Creams for being at the bottom of the barrel. The Rumblebees barely defeated Crummels and DeFarge for the titles and Los Ice Creams ran out to celebrate with them. Buuuut they also had a Money in the Bank-type title match due to winning the Challenge of the Immortals back in season 15, so they betrayed the Rumblebees and cashed in. While the Rumblebees continue to clash with Crummels and DeFarge, Los Ice Creams succeed to remain champs by constantly spoiling anyone who gains momentum in the division. Meaning that if, say, Crummels and DeFarge have two points, Los Ice Creams will show up in their next match and screw them over somehow.

Meanwhile, Solo Darling still has a free title shot from winning this year's Infinite Gauntlet.

- Dez Peloton vs. Oleg the Usurper and Kobald: The relationship between Oleg and Kobald is a bit complicated, but as it is right now, Kobald insists on being Oleg's tag partner and is constantly screwing up their matches. It's hard to tell if Kobald is just inept in his enthusiasm or if he's messing with Oleg on purpose. Either way, Oleg's reaching his boiling point.

- Officer Warren Barksdale vs. Gran Akuma: Akuma's back and I think his deal is that he turns his nose at the newbies. Now he gets a match against another (sort of) new guy in Barksdale.

- Missile Assault Man vs. Jeremy Leary: Turns out that Jeremy Leary and his former rival Lucas Calhoun are rockabilly super soldiers created in a lab by Titor Conglomerate. This news caused Calhoun to go on a sabbatical and try to come to terms with what he is. Coincidentally, not only is Missile Assault Man the former tag partner of Calhoun, but under orders of Titor Conglomerate, he blew up a schoolbus full of children in Zimbabwe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Xerzes posted:

So...is the evil rockabilly supersoldier the face, or the guy who blew up a busload of orphans?

The latter. Although Missile Assault Man suffers from PTSD for his actions, he's still a good guy these days.

Wazzu posted:

Does Solo Darling have a tag title shot, grand title shot, or either?

Whenever anyone gets a Golden Opportunity, it's for whichever title they choose.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Gavok posted:

- Dez Peloton vs. Oleg the Usurper and Kobald: The relationship between Oleg and Kobald is a bit complicated, but as it is right now, Kobald insists on being Oleg's tag partner and is constantly screwing up their matches. It's hard to tell if Kobald is just inept in his enthusiasm or if he's messing with Oleg on purpose. Either way, Oleg's reaching his boiling point.

As a follow-up to this, Kobald recently posted a music video parody of "Stan." Sure, why not.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I too am back. Really fun show that did a lot with this season's minuscule storyline action.

- Sylverhawk and Razerhawk defeated Hermit Crab and Cajun Crawdad. Good opener where Los Ice Creams tried to interfere near the end, but Nytehawk drove them off.

- Proletariat Boar of Moldova vs. Fake Amasis was supposed to happen next. Whisper-as-Ophidian was there, wearing a cast. While "Ophidian" talked to "Amasis" in their corner, 17 (the real Ophidian) entered the ring and stared down Boar. Boar graciously allowed him to take his spot and walked to the back. "Ophidian" told "Amasis" it was nice knowing him and slowly backed away. 17 beat down "Amasis" and broke his arm, much to "Ophidian"'s chagrin.

- Mr. Touchdown defeated Hallowicked. Great match, but felt pointless.

- Dez Pelotin defeated Oleg the Usurper and Kobald. Kobald almost hit Oleg with a foreign object by mistake and Oleg got pinned with a backslide. After the match, Kobald dressed down Oleg for being a loser and hit him with Off With His Head. Oleg got back up and angrily chokeslammed him.

- Gran Akuma defeated Officer Warren Barksdale. During the pre-show, Akuma explained that upon returning to Chikara, he found the new guys to be completely soft. His mission is to harden them one match at a time so that they'll either walk away better or they won't walk away at all.

- Oceana defeated Merlok. Oceana is Ashley Vox, who has evolved into some kind of raging, Aquaman-looking form carrying a giant hook to the ring. As the payoff to their season-long storyline, Oceana kicked the poo poo out of Merlok to the point that he bounced around the ring, treating it like she was the hoss. After a fisherman's suplex off the top rope, she made Merlok tap to some submission hold. Afterwards, Merlok got up, warily stared at Oceana, then knelt before her. He opened the ring ropes for her and followed her to the back.

- The Closers defeated a team of masked jobbers. Rick Roland is finally back from injury. They shredded through the jobbers, who didn't even get an introduction outside of "these guys."

- Hype Rockwell defeated Race Jaxon. The gimmick of the match was that the loser would have to wear a mask from now on. Very good match that ended with the Hyperwheel. Jaxon now wears what looks like a white luchador version of the Gimp's mask from Pulp Fiction, complete with mouth zipper.

- Missile Assault Man defeated Jeremy Leary via countout. MAM acted all confused at first because he thought he was fighting Juke Joint, but then he finally started to dominate Leary. Leary escaped the Missile Launcher, left the ring and sat in the front row. He allowed the 20 count to take place, saying that he wanted to have a front row seat to what was about to happen. Suddenly, three guys in masks, dressed in black and white, appeared and surrounded the ring. MAM stood there, egging them on to fight him. Then this freaky doctor guy walked out behind him and whispered stuff into MAM's ear. MAM, dead-eyed, walked out of the ring and out of the arena.

That freaky doctor guy (who Leary namedropped back in the secret season) looked like an albino Yoda with a surgeon mask on. Sort of like the Jackal from Spider-Man. It was striking for how good the production values of his mask/makeup looked.

- The Rumblebees defeated Crummels and DeFarge. Great match that ended with Solo Darling making Crummels tap to the Sharp Stinger while Huckabee held DeFarge onto the apron with a stretch muffler.

- Juan Francisco de Coronado defeated Dasher Hatfield and retained the Grand Championship. They did everything they could to make it seem like Dasher was going to win, such as having him survive two tiger bombs in a row. JFDC was able to kick out of the Grand Slam (shoulder powerslam off the ropes). In the end, Dasher went for the Jackhammer, but JFDC twisted the mask and rolled him up for the pin. Dasher sat in the ring, dejected and got up to leave as the lights turned on.

No encore match and from what I understand, no post-show teaser vids.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Thing to keep in mind is that Dasher isn't completely out of the title picture. He still has an automatic title shot. Here's a list of all the Golden Opportunity winners from the past couple years:

Challenge of the Immortals Winners

Kimber Lee: Cashed in her opportunity at the end of the Season 15 finale, defeating Hallowicked for the Grand Championship.
Jervis Cottonbelly: Never cashed in and likely never will.
El Hijo del Ice Cream: Cashed in for the tag titles against NRG and seemingly won them. Los Ice Creams were stripped of the titles later because they only pinned NRG once when tag title matches are always best 2 out of 3.
Ice Cream Jr: Cashed in for the tag titles against Rumblebees and succeeded.

Infinite Gauntlet Winners

Hallowicked (Season 16): Set up a title match against Kimber Lee and won the title back.
Dasher Hatfield (Season 17): Never cashed in.
Solo Darling (Season 18): Never cashed in.

Unless it's been explicitly stated somewhere, I'm not sure whether or not Infinite Gauntlet title shots work like Money in the Bank, since Hallowicked's was announced ahead of time and he's a heel.

Going into Season 19, Hype Rockwell is the only guy with three points.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

The roster page has updated and we've reached TNA "not enough for a Royal Rumble" level. Though it doesn't include the dudes who showed up after the Missile Assault Man match. That, and Lucas Calhoun has stated on Twitter that he's coming back to deal with that.

Notable guys missing from the active roster page and added to the alumni section:

- The Big Deal/Hornswoggle, who didn't appear at all in 2016.

- Ashley Vox and Delmi Exo, despite Ashley's new gimmick of Oceana. Judging from her Twitter, it's probably more that they don't have an Oceana profile image yet.

- Max Smashmaster, who as mentioned earlier, is now retired.

- Missile Assault Man, who has gotten rid of his Twitter. He looks to be completely gone from Chikara, meaning an end to jokes about Zimbabwe.

- Mr. Azerbaijan, which is just as well. DUSTIN is still on the roster.

- Rock Lobster, who had one match in Season 18 and just kind of vanished.

- Wani, who was last seen dropping the Young Lions Cup on an Hour of Power back in June.

Fake Amasis doesn't have a profile to begin with and doesn't show up on either roster page.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

DM Punk posted:

Did the Furies stable ever have a big ending or anything? Just seem like the group kind of dissolved with no payoff or anything.

I guess the payoff was Fire Ant beating seven shades of poo poo out of Frightmare at King of Trios. Frightmare hasn't been seen since.

Coincidentally, Fire Ant just posted a blog post about this. Basically that the Furies was a stupid concept because they were a team in name only. There was no real solidarity and everyone else was focused on their own thing. Now he's a Colony of One.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

syzpid posted:

When you don't have the money to update your background pic...

Green Ant and Fire Ant should be reversed.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Speaking of PowerbombTV, I figure that has to do with the Season 19 schedule. Cost-cutting is mentioned, but at the same time, there are no double-header shows going on next year. All the shows are 3-4 weeks apart at the Wrestle Factory, which probably means that all or nearly all of Season 19 will be streaming on Chikaratopia and PowerbombTV.

Also, King of Trios has been announced for August 31 to September 2. It will be back in the Philly area.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I just watched the Countdown Showdown, a 30-man Royal Rumble that Chikara did back in 2010 during the height of the BDK storyline. On one hand, it's a really fun Rumble match and it shows off just how great the roster was back then. On the other hand, Johnny Gargano won it and... like, why? He was arguably the least interesting choice at the time.

Also, it was kind of amusing to see Jervis Cottonbelly as the "we haven't seen him in years!" entry back in 2010.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Season 18 ended in 2017, dude.

• Locked thread