Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

He's probably going to get a Secret Service visit. Somebody hung an Obama effigy off a billboard here before the 2012 election and there was an investigation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Laranzu posted:

Dude lives in Boulder. Home of killer weed and every gender studies major in Colorado. Secret Liberal?

Colorado conservatives are like a weird kind of Ron Swanson conservative. Well, at least in the east. I'm sure there's all sorts out of weirdos in the Western part.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I wouldn't even call Ron Swanson "conservative." He's old-fashioned, sure, but all of his political opinions boil down to "government sucks and is a big waste; slash it and let people do what they choose." That's the textbook definition of libertarian.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

psydude posted:

Colorado conservatives are like a weird kind of Ron Swanson conservative. Well, at least in the east. I'm sure there's all sorts out of weirdos in the Western part.

Confirming presence of weirdos in Colorado.

Denver politicians seem rather sensible without much regard to the D or R behind their names. Colorado Springs and Pueblo have conservative fundies that are dying out, kicking and screaming the whole way.

I need to get some pictures of the billboards around town, there are some stupid rear end ads up seems like constantly, with poo poo like "Human Services destroys families" or "abortion is murder", all backed by what are probably subsidiaries of Focus on the family or that inoffensive shitheap televangelist Joel Osteen some how.

But Denver, Boulder and the immediate area are pretty chill, comparatively speaking.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

"The home belongs to an Army veteran"

Which one of you did this?

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Confirming presence of weirdos in Colorado.

Denver politicians seem rather sensible without much regard to the D or R behind their names. Colorado Springs and Pueblo have conservative fundies that are dying out, kicking and screaming the whole way.

I need to get some pictures of the billboards around town, there are some stupid rear end ads up seems like constantly, with poo poo like "Human Services destroys families" or "abortion is murder", all backed by what are probably subsidiaries of Focus on the family or that inoffensive shitheap televangelist Joel Osteen some how.

But Denver, Boulder and the immediate area are pretty chill, comparatively speaking.

I want to move to CO, because it's infinitely better than GA, but lmao I don't think I could find a job to pay the rent.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

quote is not edit

bengy81
May 8, 2010
^^^What's your career field? You can take it to PM's if you want.

We had a handful of state legislators that tried to push for the Eastern part of CO to break away from the rest of the state to form their own state. I wouldn't necessarily say that is Ron Swanson type politics.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've noticed that, at least around Boulder, home prices are absolutely outrageous (like DC, NYC, SF bay area) but land is dirt cheap if you want to build.

Work keeps sending me there, and each time I keep speculating on when I could afford to do it.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

psydude posted:

I've noticed that, at least around Boulder, home prices are absolutely outrageous (like DC, NYC, SF bay area) but land is dirt cheap if you want to build.

Prices in Boulder and surrounding communities have always been high, and partly because Boulder County has a ton of open space and the city of Boulder has fairly stringent requirements for building.

House get cheaper when you move towards Larimer and Weld counties, but lol if you want to live in Weld.

Also, if you see a lot for sale for less than 200k it probably doesn't have its utilities tapped, so you can add another 40-60k to the price.

But really this is a better conversation for the dad thread.

For content: What's his face SC nominee is exactly the kind of gently caress-o that would move to Boulder and make it an unfun place to live because of "property values"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bengy81 posted:

^^^What's your career field? You can take it to PM's if you want.

We had a handful of state legislators that tried to push for the Eastern part of CO to break away from the rest of the state to form their own state. I wouldn't necessarily say that is Ron Swanson type politics.

Right now I'm working in a datacenter as a datacenter tech for HPE in GA, the problem is getting a job in CO and being able to make rent is nuts, unless I want to live in the crazy fundie wilderness. I'm really hating GA though, all my neighbors have DONT TREAD ON ME flags and LOCK HER UP/HILLARY FOR PRISON signs.

Colorado does have some beautiful scenery though and I've wanted to move there for a really long time. :(

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

no bones about it posted:

Right now I'm working in a datacenter as a datacenter tech for HPE in GA, the problem is getting a job in CO and being able to make rent is nuts, unless I want to live in the crazy fundie wilderness. I'm really hating GA though, all my neighbors have DONT TREAD ON ME flags and LOCK HER UP/HILLARY FOR PRISON signs.

Colorado does have some beautiful scenery though and I've wanted to move there for a really long time. :(

Do you have experience with storage, UCS, IBM, or Nexus stuff? We're in the very early stages of putting together proposals for a data center and campus refresh in CO and may be looking to place someone on site for a year to help us interface with the customer and handle most of the day to day legwork of bootstrapping and staging equipment, as well as assisting the network engineers when they're on site.

Shoot me a PM and we can talk so we stop clogging up the CE thread.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

no bones about it posted:

Sorry Zeris, I know this isn't the thread for this but at least it isn't poo poo posting??

If you are in a position to buy, that's the way to go v. rent, but rent prices should even out over the next year, lots of new appts coming on the market.
Also keep in mind Denver is fairly small as far as cities are concerned, so you can move south or east and live in a more affordable area, but still only be a 20 min drive from most anything you want to do.

Lurk the Denver thread in LAN, lots of IT goons, and they usually post when they know of job openings.
If you get serious about wanting to move out here, like I said PM me, I'm in the medical industry, but sometimes I hear about good jobs, and if you aren't too much of a mouth breather I will happily drop a referral.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

I just saw a bumper sticker that said, "Marine Mom semper feisty."

Is that a would or a would not.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

I'd call that a "would."

She's not fat, is she?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Only so you can tell the impotent little jarhead that you hosed his mom.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Re:re:fwd:re:re:FORWARD THIS EMAIL! URGENT!

https://twitter.com/chelseahandler/status/826654744571736064

I mean yeah poo poo is hosed up but come on. That was like one full news cycle ago!

SwampDonkey
Oct 13, 2006

by Smythe

(and can't post for 4 years!)

priznat posted:

Re:re:fwd:re:re:FORWARD THIS EMAIL! URGENT!

https://twitter.com/chelseahandler/status/826654744571736064

I mean yeah poo poo is hosed up but come on. That was like one full news cycle ago!

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST
Oh man, no trial or due process? Wow, if only a constitutional scholar had been president and could have done something about such a program. Why are we literally just now hearing about this?

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011

sky shark posted:

Oh man, no trial or due process? Wow, if only a constitutional scholar had been president and could have done something about such a program. Why are we literally just now hearing about this?

Maybe people are slightly less uncomfortable with Barack Obama, Leon Panetta and Robert Gates authorizing overseas targeted killings than they are with Donald J. Trump and Steve Bannon doing the same. Maybe the people objecting to Obama normalizing targeted killing and massive surveillance were worried about precisely someone like Donald Trump getting their hand on the tiller.

The Orgasm Sanction
Dec 30, 2006

Svelte

Dead Reckoning posted:

Maybe people are slightly less uncomfortable with Barack Obama, Leon Panetta and Robert Gates authorizing overseas targeted killings than they are with Donald J. Trump and Steve Bannon doing the same. Maybe the people objecting to Obama normalizing targeted killing and massive surveillance were worried about precisely someone like Donald Trump getting their hand on the tiller.

Yeah, that's a fun one for all the people freaking out already. Obama benevolently oversaw a true Orwellian nightmare of surveillance, now Trump is at the head of it, and we're all carrying telescreens in our pockets nowadays.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

People are dumb and have a collective attention span about that of a goldfish. Combine that with a generally narrow worldview and lack of awareness about how our country already works, and this is what you get. It's not just now, it's continuous.

sky shark
Jun 9, 2004

CHILD RAPE IS FINE WHEN I LIKE THE RAPIST

Dead Reckoning posted:

Yeah, because [my politician] being able to kill US citizens without due process or a trial is a good thing, while [your politician] is totally insane and literally Hitler. Just a few months ago we had the Democratic leadership swearing up and down that using secret terrorist watch lists to prevent suspected terrorists from owning guns was a great idea. That this was targeting actual US citizens without a trial, due process or even notification or a means of appeal didn't matter; if you were against this well you wanted the terrorists to win. Schumer, Pelosi, Clinton, Obama and more all swore up and down that this was vital and necessary.

Now you have the same politicians saying that revamping our vetting procedures for refugees coming from places that have no functioning government is "not who we are" and Orwellian and unconstitutional without a hint of self awareness.

I agree, btw, that Trump & his administration shouldn't have the power to selectively execute citizens. Nobody should, period. This doesn't mean that the people suddenly crying foul don't deserve to be called out for being hypocritical shitheads.

sky shark fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Feb 1, 2017

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

sky shark posted:

Yeah, because [my politician] being able to kill US citizens without due process or a trial is a good thing, while [your politician] is totally insane and literally Hitler. Just a few months ago we had the Democratic leadership swearing up and down that using secret terrorist watch lists to prevent suspected terrorists from owning guns was a great idea. That this was targeting actual US citizens without a trial, due process or even notification or a means of appeal didn't matter; if you were against this well you wanted the terrorists to win. Schumer, Pelosi, Clinton, Obama and more all swore up and down that this was vital and necessary.

Now you have the same politicians saying that revamping our vetting procedures for refugees coming from places that have no functioning government is "not who we are" and Orwellian and unconstitutional without a hint of self awareness.

I agree, btw, that Trump & his administration shouldn't have the power to selectively execute citizens. Nobody should, period. This doesn't mean that the people suddenly crying foul don't deserve to be called out for being hypocritical shitheads.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
Sucks about his kids, but it's somewhat hard for me to get super upset about Al-Awlaki except to note that the precedent could be used for some bullshit.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

sky shark posted:

:lol: hello crazy person. Refugees are already the most vetted people in the country and extreme vetting is just codeword for a ban.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
1. Media and individual people did call out Obama's administration on the same poo poo. No doubt it was not even close to what we're seeing now, I admit, but it did happen. 2. okay, you've called everyone out for being hypocritical poo poo heads.... now what? Does everyone have to preface all their future protests by acknowledging every other time [thing happened] but they did not speak out? Do we throw asterisks on their protest signs? 3. I too am shocked to see politicians stick to the party line.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...m=.e2d0b7cd5a18

The person that leaked those tapes of Republicans making GBS threads themselves over having no plan to replace the ACA may have just walked into the convention and posed as someone's wife. It hasn't been confirmed that they were the same person, but hilarious either way.

psydude fucked around with this message at 13:28 on Feb 1, 2017

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
That reminds me of stuff like the IT thread where it's basically a given that the best way to breach a sensitive area is with a pen, piece of paper, and a clipboard. Probably something similar there.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Social engineering is a right royal bitch of a thing, you can get away with a whole damned lot if you're a fast talker.

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

Reminds me of the captain who got his fillipina gf onto the ops floor of the KCOIC in Osan because no one wanted to challenge him.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

sky shark posted:

lol shut the gently caress up skyshark you boot-licking toadie 🤣

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Lol Kurds must be feeling betrayed as well

https://twitter.com/Paradoxy13/status/826709681469026304

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

lol shut the gently caress up skyshark you boot-licking toadie 🤣

This won't make him shut up and will only make the disconnect even greater and your response is, in a nutshell, a huge part of why the disconnect and divide is so terrible.

"Gay people shouldn't be able to get married."

"lol shut the gently caress up"

Congrats, now that person is even more entrenched in their belief that gay people shouldn't be able to get married.

You're part of the problem just as much as everyone.

Bernard McFacknutah
Nov 13, 2009
lol shut the gently caress up Cole, your response has just entrenched my opinion that you are a total oval office.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Bernard McFacknutah posted:

lol shut the gently caress up Cole, your response has just entrenched my opinion that you are a total oval office.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
If you honestly don't see how your responses to people's lovely beliefs only cause them to believe their lovely beliefs even more, then you're a big part of the problem.

Number Ten Cocks
Feb 25, 2016

by zen death robot

sky shark posted:

This is a good post.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
We interrupt this argument to present to you: Barry chillin

https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/826660267341783044

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

facialimpediment posted:

Soak it up, Barry. Totally deserves the vacation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Handed Missus
Aug 6, 2012

facialimpediment posted:

He is finally free.

• Locked thread