Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stanley Goodspeed
Dec 26, 2005
What, the feet thing?

Slow cookers are pretty much delicious food easy mode, so long as you can follow the one rule of not loving with your delicious smelling dinner until it is actually done.

Dutch oven is a little more versatile I guess, if you wanted to brown onions in it or something??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I put myself on a strict diet and workout regimen recently so that I can lose my pudge and maybe get some abs. I'm not fat. I'm more like a skinny guy with a gut.

Dieting is hard when you've spent the last two years shoveling your face full of every junk food you could find, and you ate out of boredom a lot of times.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

Mr. Nice! posted:

Most car batteries last a year or two anymore.

My car oddly came with one of those dry cells that cost a fortune and that sucker is still going strong since 2012 and having been frozen a few times.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Godholio posted:

Bullshit. Batteries are no less reliable than they have been for the past two decades. The problem is corrosion and a bad connection. There's enough juice, it's just not getting through. Scrape that poo poo off and make sure the terminals are tight on the posts.

Edit: Get a tool like this. Shove it on the post and twist until it's clean. Remove the cap and use the brush inside to clean the inside of the terminal.

Dude i'm just going off what I've had to deal with. The batteries on my diesel food truck last longest of everything, but as they get smaller they have to be replaced more frequently. You're right that corrosion may be the only problem in this case, but almost all after market batteries seem to die for me just outside of their warranty. I have to change my harley battery every year, my corvette battery every 2-3, and usually every 2-3 years for any other passenger car i own.

Roommate has a 2012 Toyota Tundra that the factory battery just took a poo poo and had to be replaced. Car batteries are not near as robust as they used to be.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Godholio posted:

Bullshit. Batteries are no less reliable than they have been for the past two decades. The problem is corrosion and a bad connection. There's enough juice, it's just not getting through. Scrape that poo poo off and make sure the terminals are tight on the posts.

Edit: Get a tool like this. Shove it on the post and twist until it's clean. Remove the cap and use the brush inside to clean the inside of the terminal.

Also get some battery terminal grease.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Remember that 2012 models began production half way through 2011. Even if your roommate's truck was built at the rear end end of the model year, that's still 4.5 years of life. My Kia battery is 5 years old and still cranks fine unless it's below zero.

Vehicle quality has largely gone up. Just because it's not as heavy or boxy or whatever doesn't mean manufacturers make poorer quality cars. Well, except Chrysler products, but if you're buying a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram and probably Fiat, you're already ignoring good advice from at least one car person you might know.

What's changed is that people are less willing to buy a battery with a 48 month replacement warranty because they cost more than the 24 month warrantied chinese battery from Walmart. Just don't buy lovely batteries.

It's like buying an alternator from a dealer parts department compared to one from autozone. It's going to do the same job, but the autozone one was rebuilt to solely make it one day past its warranty, and the dealer OEM part is new.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
When people say 2012 I'm like "oh so about two years ago" and then it hits me... :smith:

30 is right around the corner!!!

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

TBeats posted:

When people say 2012 I'm like "oh so about two years ago" and then it hits me... :smith:

30 is right around the corner!!!

Same but I still think 1998 was about five years ago

You say 2012 and I think that poo poo is still in the future

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I still thought I was 29 til about a year ago when my wife reminded me I'm 33 :(

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Jesus gently caress, I smoke a stupid amount of weed and even I don't get time dilation that badly.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

TBeats posted:

Senility and death is right around the corner!!!

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Re: Dutch ovens, is there something special about La Creuset that justifies the price? I look at those versus the cheaper yet functional enamelware I already own and wonder if people are just paying for a brand name.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

first full year as a 30 year old and I already don't give a gently caress about anything.

hail satan.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Jesus gently caress, I smoke a stupid amount of weed and even I don't get time dilation that badly.

If asked directly I could have answered my correct age with just a little thought but this was weird. Someone asked me how old one of my cousins was and I was like, "well she's like 18 months younger than me, so she must be turning 28 soon"

Nope :(

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I still thought I was 29 til about a year ago when my wife reminded me I'm 33 :(

Did she figure it out for the headstone?

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
Started my new year off with a baby teething and the SO getting a sinus infection. But I was happy to go to work this glorious Monday morning as a result, so that's cool

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Remember that 2012 models began production half way through 2011. Even if your roommate's truck was built at the rear end end of the model year, that's still 4.5 years of life. My Kia battery is 5 years old and still cranks fine unless it's below zero.

Vehicle quality has largely gone up. Just because it's not as heavy or boxy or whatever doesn't mean manufacturers make poorer quality cars. Well, except Chrysler products, but if you're buying a Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep, Ram and probably Fiat, you're already ignoring good advice from at least one car person you might know.

What's changed is that people are less willing to buy a battery with a 48 month replacement warranty because they cost more than the 24 month warrantied chinese battery from Walmart. Just don't buy lovely batteries.

It's like buying an alternator from a dealer parts department compared to one from autozone. It's going to do the same job, but the autozone one was rebuilt to solely make it one day past its warranty, and the dealer OEM part is new.

That was the factory battery with a 3 year warranty. It outlasted it's purpose.

I'm saying that when you go to O'Reillys, autozone, napa, or any of those and grab a battery off the shelf it's going to last up to it's warranty and then typically not a whole lot longer. A lot of places don't even have battery core charges anymore and actually charge a disposal fee because they go through them enough.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.

EVA BRAUN BLOWJOBS posted:

Re: Dutch ovens, is there something special about La Creuset that justifies the price? I look at those versus the cheaper yet functional enamelware I already own and wonder if people are just paying for a brand name.

I own a used one and it's great. The made-in-china ones are supposedly poorer quality and less smoothly enameled and so on. I have no idea how much that actually matters. A le creuset will last forever, so check eBay. Owning one will spoil you.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ded posted:

Hey cool. My car battery shows 'green' but won't crank out a start and makes everything flash like its possessed. Oh and it has a bunch of loving corrosion and the car is less than 2 years old :wtc:

Wire brush and a can of coke.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

it's all about the brand.

lodge is just as good and about a third the price

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
My back/groin injury this week has reminded me that I'm totally not in my 20s anymore. When I went to urgent care on Friday to get some serious anti-inflammatories and a muscle relaxer they offered me vicodin. Being a white male owns.

(I didn't take the script)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I turn 40 this year.

Thanks for reminding me.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Vasudus posted:

My back/groin injury this week has reminded me that I'm totally not in my 20s anymore. When I went to urgent care on Friday to get some serious anti-inflammatories and a muscle relaxer they offered me vicodin. Being a white male owns.

I've drastically changed almost everything about my lifestyle to try and be healthier. I used to be able to shovel down an entire pizza from dominos and be fine but I ate four slices about a month ago and about an hour later I noticed my fingers were all swollen.

My lunch today? Strawberries, carrots, raspberries, grapes, apples, and almonds and 20oz of water

And no I'm not on a fruit diet. Just fruit and veggies for lunch.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

TBeats posted:

I've drastically changed almost everything about my lifestyle to try and be healthier. I used to be able to shovel down an entire pizza from dominos and be fine but I ate four slices about a month ago and about an hour later I noticed my fingers were all swollen.

My lunch today? Strawberries, carrots, raspberries, grapes, apples, and almonds and 20oz of water

And no I'm not on a fruit diet. Just fruit and veggies for lunch.

Turns out that I'm a stress eater, who knew?

The instant I got the source of 99% of my stress out of my life, I stopped eating garbage. I'm on a self improvement spree right now.

I'm getting a rowing machine either this month or the next.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Heartache is powerful, but democracy is *subtle*.

Vasudus posted:

Yeah man. My most recent flare up in my back is finally starting to subside after about two months of isolation exercises and stretching, which is good because I'm only 27 and have had to move around like I'm 57.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

buncha geriatric fucks you guys are.

brb getting more icy hot for my knee

bengy81
May 8, 2010
RE: Dutch Ovens

If the choice is between a dutch oven and a slow cooker go for the dutch oven. IMO they are a lot more versatile, and honestly, how many times are you really going to take the effort at 7:00 AM to get a meal put together for that evening? I can tell you from personal experience that it won't happen on a workday. If you want a "slow cooker" meal, get yourself a decent pressure cooker, you can cook up a batch of chicken soup in 40 mins or so, chili in like 20 etc...
Plus you can actually cook down those tough rear end pork and beef cuts and they turn out pretty moist and tender!

My wife got a Rachel Ray brand enameled dutch oven like 10 years ago, and the thing is a work horse. Having said that, the enaml is starting to crack so I would guess that it maybe has 5 or so years left in it. I don't "love it" mostly because its an oval shape instead of round, but whatever, I still make some pretty bad rear end stuff in it.
Whenever I get around to replacing it, I will probably get a Lodge or Cuisinart 7 Qt one, but I will try to convince myself that I need a fancy Le Creuset one. Apparently they really are worth the money.

If you watch Williams Sonoma, sometimes they will clearance out the seasonal color Le Creuset dutch ovens, but you have to be pretty quick to grab them.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones

LingcodKilla posted:

I turn 40 this year.

Thanks for reminding me.

45 in a month

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
I wonder where the heating pad my physical therapist ordered is.

iKon
Oct 4, 2000

CAN'T TEST
WON'T TEST

I have some Lodge enamelware and the lady has some Le Creuset stuff. We both bought them around the same time a few years back, and we both used the products a similar amount before we combined kitchens. If I cleaned my Lodge stuff up I think I could get it looking Very Good. If I cleaned her Le Creuset stuff up, it'd probably look Like New. Hard to say if that justifies the price difference, but if I have to make a guess, I bet the trend will continue and her stuff will hold up a little bit better over the years.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

it's all about the brand.

lodge is just as good and about a third the price

lol I canceled the order on the lodge because of some crummy reviews on amazon plus I really want a nice red la creuset so hey might as well wait for my tax refund!

I use a cast iron skillet and a medium-sized pot at least 3 times a week so having a nice dutch oven, it'll get use

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I just ordered some Beats headphones & im gonna reclaim my youth :snoop:

More likely I will listen to audiobooks while at the grocery & doing yard work :dadjoke:

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

psydude posted:

Yeah man. My most recent flare up in my back is finally starting to subside after about two months of isolation exercises and stretching, which is good because I'm only 27 and have had to move around like I'm 57.

Have you had to crip walk with a cane yet? I spent about a year total dragging a stick around. In my 20s. Five or so months after I ets'd and my back absolutely had it, another six months around 5 years ago when I was in community college.

It loving sucks having to walk with a stick, but at least you always have something to hit people with.

Last time my back went badly was about a year ago and holy gently caress I didn't do poo poo for two months but stretch and lay on the floor for hours at a time. Thankfully Fallout 4 helped with the boredom.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

fuuuuuuuck

Don't get obese kids apparently it permanently fucks up your metabolism and makes it extremely hard to keep the pounds off

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
i really loving want a pressure cooker its probably next on my list

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Mr. Mambold posted:

Wire brush and a can of coke.

Bi-carb and water.

It was a real bitch to get the positive terminal off the corrosion was really drat bad. Getting terminal grease today and looks like I'll have to be putting more on every 6 months or whatever.

Proud Christian Mom posted:

pressure cookers own

but make sure your rubber seal is in good shape or hilarity can ensue

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Mr. Nice! posted:

That was the factory battery with a 3 year warranty. It outlasted it's purpose.

I'm saying that when you go to O'Reillys, autozone, napa, or any of those and grab a battery off the shelf it's going to last up to it's warranty and then typically not a whole lot longer. A lot of places don't even have battery core charges anymore and actually charge a disposal fee because they go through them enough.

This I completely agree with, but that's a far cry from 1-2 years like you originally said. My Vette is still running the cheapest battery OReilly's had in 2008 when the previous owner replaced it just before I bought it. I just replaced the OE battery in my Jeep after about 4.5 years, which is actually the shortest-lived battery I've ever owned.

Vasudus posted:

I'll take it.

Smiling Jack posted:

fuuuuuuuck

Don't get obese kids apparently it permanently fucks up your metabolism and makes it extremely hard to keep the pounds off

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2016/05/02/health/biggest-loser-weight-loss.html

Yeah no poo poo.

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
I always take heavy hitter painkiller scripts because you never know when you or someone you know gets a toothache from hell or throws out their back or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Proud Christian Mom posted:

I have an irrational(?) fear of pressure cookers :ohdear:

• Locked thread