Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

not caring here posted:

I always take heavy hitter painkiller scripts because you never know when you or someone you know gets a toothache from hell or throws out their back or something.

Joking aside, this. I get small kidney stones every few months, and there's roughly a day of serious pain that OTC stuff can't touch. Leftover percocets or norcos end up being a lifesaver, and keep me from just cashing my paychecks at the urgent care. I think I've only really mentioned the one big stone I had (the first one) that led to the surgery and threatening the idiot in flight med who tried to turn me away, but I've gone in for treatment for three stones (2011, 2015, and two months ago), and had 4 or 5 others that I just dealt with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Godholio posted:

Yeah no poo poo.

Yeah no poo poo but hearing "this man needs to run a 800 calorie a day deficit to maintain weight" from an actual scientific study is still kinda shocking

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Yes, I was an obese kid at 250 lbs, 5 ft 8 at my peak and gaining weight for me is super loving easy and makes for maintaining and dropping weight really difficult.

I bike around 1.5-2 hours a day or do at least 2 hours of exercise most days of the week, to lose weight I eat probably 2,000 calories however I'm probably at a net caloric expenditure of 3,500+ per day.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have an irrational(?) fear of pressure cookers :ohdear:

I do too. When my husbear uses it I usually wish him luck to not explode as I move to another room.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I was about to say "I have a stash of them for emergencies including doxycycline" but upon inspection of my medicine cabinet, I apparently do not anymore. Goddamnit.

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Vasudus posted:

Turns out that I'm a stress eater, who knew?

The instant I got the source of 99% of my stress out of my life, I stopped eating garbage. I'm on a self improvement spree right now.

I'm getting a rowing machine either this month or the next.

Yo sidebar, I've got a friend who has a rowing machine that seems nice. He has a townhouse though, so Idk how it works for second level of an apartment. I think I need something in here to deal with the winter months, but is also transportable once the inevitable move happens.

Ideas in my head are that, a recumbent bike, or a spin bike, but I dunno if any of these will work and be useful given the domain.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

Smiling Jack posted:

Yeah no poo poo but hearing "this man needs to run a 800 calorie a day deficit to maintain weight" from an actual scientific study is still kinda shocking

It really does remind me of all of the heroin/fentanyl stuff right now. Seems like the only way to not be fat is to not get fat in the first place and the only way to not be an addict is to not start using in the first place.

Sort of the same reason I generally turn down the heavy-duty painkillers if everything's still bearable, just in case.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Being on a strict diet loving sucks. Maybe I should have weened myself off of the 5000 calories or whatever stupid amount I was eating instead of going cold turkey to a 2500 calorie diet.

Dinner isn't for three loving hours and I'm starving.

I'm also going through nicotine withdrawals because I picked smoking up again when I went home a couple weeks ago and just quit again a few days ago and that's probably not helping.

boop the snoot fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Jan 2, 2017

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I have one of those water rowers like frank underwood and it will kick your butt. Great exercise and oddly relaxing at the same time with the water sounds "wooosh...... wooosh...... "

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

TBeats posted:

I put myself on a strict diet and workout regimen recently so that I can lose my pudge and maybe get some abs. I'm not fat. I'm more like a skinny guy with a gut.

Dieting is hard when you've spent the last two years shoveling your face full of every junk food you could find, and you ate out of boredom a lot of times.

I quit soda cold-turkey about a month ago and now my clothes fit a little looser.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Rad Lieutenant posted:

I have one of those water rowers like frank underwood and it will kick your butt. Great exercise and oddly relaxing at the same time with the water sounds "wooosh...... wooosh...... "

literally the reason i wanted to get one

"oh man that looks cool"

then it turns out that yeah it's great exercise but i was already sold on it

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Quitting soda was probably the hardest thing I've done. Fell off that wagon hard multiple times too.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I don't really drink alcohol (don't have the time) and I drink diet soda, but I just quit smoking cold turkey two days ago. From a pack and a half a day habit to zero, I would kill you all for one loving drag.

Just FYI

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Smiling Jack posted:

I would kill you all for one loving drag.

Just FYI

same

fuckin same. i had my last one at 11:55pm december 31 and today the jonesing has hit me like a goddamn freight train. but i'm trying to psych myself out by saying i haven't smoked all year and i shouldn't ruin a good thing.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Nicotine gum keeps me from murdering all of you.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

ded posted:

Bi-carb and water.

It was a real bitch to get the positive terminal off the corrosion was really drat bad. Getting terminal grease today and looks like I'll have to be putting more on every 6 months or whatever.

O'Reilly's has those treated felt rings for outie terminals- seems like they would work for the innie ones too, idk.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

:nms:
why the gently caress does 'hot girl with donut' bring up so many tranny pics on bing :cry:

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I quit soda *mostly*. I still have a 20oz coke once or twice a week with my lunch.

I switched to Spindrift and LaCroix instead. Much better for you since it's just water with a little bit of flavor.

That WaterRower is cheaper than I thought, I might get it sooner rather than later. First on my list is a new bed, probably gonna get the Casper like I wanted to like four or five months ago. And maybe a new couch.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
New couch, coffee table, and bed frame this year

plus bolster up on kitchen stuff--food processor, new forks and steak knives, etc

and then later on in the year maybe a 4K TV.

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Donuts and boobs, two of my favorite things.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

I go through like 6 cans of LaCroix a day. IDGAF if it's somehow killing my kidneys, when the hospital is giving it away for free, why not..

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Just from cutting soda to a minimum and laying off the junk food I've lost 20 pounds in about a year. Still got 20 more to go to get back to what I used to be. Feels good though.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Vasudus posted:

I quit soda *mostly*. I still have a 20oz coke once or twice a week with my lunch.

I switched to Spindrift and LaCroix instead. Much better for you since it's just water with a little bit of flavor.

I've given up trying to cold turkey my way out of soda. Aside from the crippling caffeine and sugar addiction, I just like it with certain foods. The new rule starting this week is 3 per week (a couple of months ago it was 2-3 per day most of the time). After a month of that, down to 2 per week. The real trick is going to be finding more stuff to cook that isn't going to induce cravings, and that I can make in small enough portions that I'm not eating it for more than 3 days in a row and getting thoroughly sick of it.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

Godholio posted:

I've given up trying to cold turkey my way out of soda. Aside from the crippling caffeine and sugar addiction, I just like it with certain foods. The new rule starting this week is 3 per week (a couple of months ago it was 2-3 per day most of the time). After a month of that, down to 2 per week. The real trick is going to be finding more stuff to cook that isn't going to induce cravings, and that I can make in small enough portions that I'm not eating it for more than 3 days in a row and getting thoroughly sick of it.

Yeah, basically if I get a sandwich and chips, I have to get soda. It's a rule. Like water, or dinosaurs.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

Soda? No cravings.

Alcohol? I had 5-6 cocktails at a Christmas party three weeks ago, nothing since, and I can't remember the previous time.i had a drink.

Tobacco? FUUUUUUCCCKKKKKK I want a smoke

Legit don't know how I'm gonna pull this off

ElMaligno
Dec 31, 2004

Be Gay!
Do Crime!

I had more alcohol in the last week than during the rest of the 2016.

Idgaf about soda.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I'll drink 7up if there's whisky in it. Otherwise water & unsweet tea.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I haven't had a soda since New Year's Eve which is legit the longest I've gone in like three months. I'm not craving it though because it's overshadowed by wanting a cigarette.

One benefit of winter is it's too cold to go outside and smoke.

Unless you're in the army. I would go out and smoke in the middle of a tornado if it meant getting out of some poo poo detail for a few minutes.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm lucky enough that I somehow never managed to pick up dip/smoking while in the Army. Thank gently caress.

I don't drink alone, and I don't drink to excess. I bought a few sixpacks when I broke up with my ex and was like WAIT A MINUTE so I stopped.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Watched what my parents went through when they quit smoking in the late 80s/early 90s, so I never picked that up. A couple of cigars a year, that's it.

I don't much like drinking alone either, so aside from a beer every few weeks, I don't drink much alcohol. Soda's my big weakness, no question. I've definitely been drinking less lately, and a lot more water (Mio and the others are great), though.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I'm thankful everyday since my thirtieth birthday that I was raised in household with soda so I never became dependent on it. I credit drinking nothing but black coffee, unsweet tea, and water with like 90% of the reason I've never had a real problem with my weight even with my relatively lovely diet.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Took up and subsequently quit smoking about three times. Last cigarette I had must've been 2010.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

Smoked in Iraq back in 06. 4-5 Cig a day kinda dude. Came back and for the first semester of college smoked 4-5 a day. Then one day just didn't feel like going out in 20 degree snowing weather to grab another pack. Didn't smoke until last year before I moved, I was near half a pack kind of day within a week, and smoked all 3 weeks after my OCS affair.

I'm a weird kind of smoker where I can pick it up and put it down really really easy apparently..

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Dipping is one of the worst and most annoying habits people pick up in the Army. Smells disgusting and people do it indoors and leave their spit cups out or just spit in a trash can. Outside you can always tell where a group of soldiers was just standing because there's spit everywhere

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Still smoke a pack a day. Still drink soda daily. Still order a pizza once a week, but it lasts three days now instead of an evening because I get a big drat salad with it that's two meals alone.

I just don't stuff my rear end full of double cheeseburgers while sitting in the recliner all day. Work keeps me walking and Frank dragging me around helps me stay around 200 pounds. Might be fat for some of you skinny guys, but it's better than the 300 pounds I wieghed when I got married, and still above the 180ish I dropped to during the divorce. A nice jiggly medium.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

LITERALLY SHAKING posted:

Have you had to crip walk with a cane yet? I spent about a year total dragging a stick around. In my 20s. Five or so months after I ets'd and my back absolutely had it, another six months around 5 years ago when I was in community college.

It loving sucks having to walk with a stick, but at least you always have something to hit people with.

Last time my back went badly was about a year ago and holy gently caress I didn't do poo poo for two months but stretch and lay on the floor for hours at a time. Thankfully Fallout 4 helped with the boredom.

Nothing that bad, although for a while when I first injured it in Afghanistan, bending over to lace up my boots was unbearable. When it flared up earlier this year I decided to not be an idiot this time around and actually went to an orthopedist. Two months of physical therapy made it a hell of a lot better. The second time two months ago was just me being dumb and thinking I could do deadlifts again since it felt fine. lol nope.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm mega glad that I work with a bunch of doctors and my government boss is an athletic trainer. I got a shitload of useful advice for nothin'

I mean, I hate them for other reasons, but at least they pay off whenever I'm sick or injured.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Re: Slow cooker

This is me being a dumb baby about how much power I use but what do you think uses less power. A slow cooker or a dutch oven.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'm gonna have to say the slow cooker. You can spend a bunch of money on either of them, or buy either cheap, but better slow cookers are insulated and don't disperse heat like a dutchie would.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Agree, slow cookers are well insulated and have an internal heating element so you're not wasting energy out the coils/burner if that's how your stove works.

• Locked thread