Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Apparently there's a new NAVADMIN trying to get everyone on their first sea duty enlistment to extend wherever they are because everyone from FY13 is either out, getting out, or about to hit shore duty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

CMD598 posted:

Apparently there's a new NAVADMIN trying to get everyone on their first sea duty enlistment to extend wherever they are because everyone from FY13 is either out, getting out, or about to hit shore duty.

LMAO retention problems. They didn't want me back, said my knees were too hosed from prior service, I am glad of this, as I have a much better schedule and stress level now that I am out.

I didn't fail the stupid physical checks at MEPS, but when I went to do the thing where you are on your knees and have to smoothly transition into a standing pose, my knees apparently "sounded someone had put Rice Krispies in them" and the doc wouldn't OK me. Thank you anonymous MEPS doc, you saved me from making a bad decision for the second time :peanut:

orange juche fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Jan 7, 2017

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
If they wanted me to stay in they would've given me more money.

Schlabbalabba
May 10, 2004

I'm a semen, I mean Seaman, I haven't been a semen for 20 years.

Commoners posted:

If they wanted me to stay in they would've given me more money.

My command can't figure out why we have no LCAC navigators... well, you killed a 45k srb, which is the only way people even wondered what an Lcac is, and now you send 5 people to school a year instead of 15 and there's a 70% failure rate. Go team. Not only that, they disqualify existing navigators and wonder why no one wants to stay in the program. It was even worse on subs. In 2009 they dropped all non nuke srb and year group 04-06 basically all peaced out because the Navy thought in a rough economy that everyone would do it for love of the game, which was way wrong. It truly boned those who reenlisted for nothing in that 6-9 month window before the bonuses came back.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186581&pagenumber=2138&perpage=40#post468070727

So on the one hand pointless military worship and jingoism are awful, but on the other hand you've got people like this.

Reserve update: I've had to do some kind of eval writing every single drill due to evals disappearing, transfers no one knew about, frockings, etc. Maybe it's because it's a big command but there's not enough time in a drill weekend to get all of the bullshit shoveled onto the average sailor done. You'd think the FTS people would help? I don't know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PneumonicBook posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3186581&pagenumber=2138&perpage=40#post468070727

So on the one hand pointless military worship and jingoism are awful, but on the other hand you've got people like this.

Reserve update: I've had to do some kind of eval writing every single drill due to evals disappearing, transfers no one knew about, frockings, etc. Maybe it's because it's a big command but there's not enough time in a drill weekend to get all of the bullshit shoveled onto the average sailor done. You'd think the FTS people would help? I don't know.

It's not like Iraq tanks are rolling down the streets of DC. People seem to be projecting hard on the old world war 2 tropes.

People going to Iraq after Hussein was defeated are mostly mercenaries.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Some scorchin hot takes in that thread. :lol:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
People always say "don't go to D&D", but an Event Horizon recording as a reminder is always appreciated.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

PneumonicBook posted:

Better hope you have ATP funding.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

PneumonicBook posted:

From my FTS experience they are too busy trying to keep everything from burning down around them to help reservists deal with reservist stuff. If you're in an operational unit then they are likely being given all the equipment that the unit would need when fully mobilized, but then none of the manning to actually maintain that equipment or train people on it. If the reservists are then using that equipment to train with during the drill weekend, they will usually do something to gently caress it up that requires more man hours to be spent fixing it after the drill weekend, because the reservists didn't fix it after they broke it.

Having the FTS there on the drill weekend is just so that they know first hand where they have to start sifting through the ashes to speed up the rebuilding process after the reserve people burn everything down around them.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Nope. Not their job so they definitely won't.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

KetTarma posted:

Nope. Not their job so they definitely won't.

Most FTS people learn to not touch the stove that is reservist affairs after about the third time of getting burnt after trying to help them or finding that the help they gave out was wasted because most reservists are professionals at being irresponsible or not caring at all.

Commoners fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Jan 9, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Commoners posted:

Most FTS people learn to not touch the stove that is reservist affairs after about the third time of getting burnt after trying to help them or finding that the help they gave out was wasted because most reservists are professionals at being irresponsible or not caring at all.

That's never stopped anyone else in the Navy.

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right
Oh hi thread where I belong. Didn't see you till now :)

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
End of deployment POM is coming to an end. Time to step back into the Matrix. :smith:

125 days left.

Null Integer
Mar 1, 2006

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.

Calus posted:

:getout:

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Calus posted:

Uh huh.

What's the secret hand-shake?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Calus posted:

Who the gently caress are you

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Commoners posted:

I haven't had a Navy Email account in 9 months because the FTS can't unfuck themselves and help me out. I've since given up on giving any fucks.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Boon posted:

I haven't had a Navy Email account in 9 months because the FTS can't unfuck themselves and help me out. I've since given up on giving any fucks.

There's a guy that affiliated the same time as I did (so Marchish) and he still doesn't have any IT resources at all. I'm pretty sure the only reason I have a navy.mil is because of my civilian job.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Your making my NOSC look like a well oiled machine.

That's not right...

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right

no bones about it posted:

Who the gently caress are you
I'm Cal. You may remember me from such Great Lakes experiences as:

Standing in the hot summer sun in black wool for 2 hours everyday for a month to do this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zbi-tfQS2Mo

One time I hid in a closet instead. Another I pretended my ankle was hurt. Both were great personal victories.

Getting a blowjob outside in windy Lake Michigan winter because it's the only way. Any mouth.

And um. There was marching. Looking back I can't say I ever enjoyed getting dominoed on the ice on the way to staring at a computer screen for 8 hours. And then the expected supplemental 1 hour. And then a mandatory remedial 3 hours. But cheer up, Charlie loving Brown has 3 slices of salami on a bulkie roll for me because the next time the galley is open is past my bedtime.

At least the petty officers who are there to help and guide us in our transitioning time are so understanding and supportive.

LingcodKilla posted:

Uh huh.

What's the secret hand-shake?

Giving a blowjob outside in windy Lake Michigan winter because it's the only way. Any petty officer.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I can't even remember great lakes except for one sole experience, wherein I realized I was in a frozen hell. The weather went from almost 70 degrees one day to <10 the next, and about 6 feet of lake effect snow fell overnight.

Seriously though dude, are you like a boot washout or something?

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right
I was going to ET school when they were going to merge it with IC so I had to do both A schools. I got kicked out of A school for some poo poo I did outside of class, but it was literally the last week. They crucified me and sent me undesignated to a carrier. That sucked for 2 years and then I went back to Great Lakes again to do FC school since it's the same loving thing as ET except the last month or so. That worked out and I was FC2 when I got out in 2012

Edit: Just read the thread. What the gently caress happened after I left? You fucks were supposed to be fixing it not... Whatever the gently caress is going on

Calus fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Jan 10, 2017

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Calus posted:

I was going to ET school when they were going to merge it with IC so I had to do both A schools. I got kicked out of A school for some poo poo I did outside of class, but it was literally the last week. They crucified me and sent me undesignated to a carrier. That sucked for 2 years and then I went back to Great Lakes again to do FC school since it's the same loving thing as ET except the last month or so. That worked out and I was FC2 when I got out in 2012

Which carrier?

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right
Ike Ike Baby

Eisenhower, The old 69

But yeah I spent over two years as a student at great lakes. I'm still not over it. loving concentration camp. At least the second time I went I had a car and special privileges so I didn't have to get busted snaggletooth phase 1 bjs in the snow anymore

Calus fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Jan 10, 2017

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I woke up to the news that we lost another shipmate from my first ship. Suicide. (Not our first.) She was a great Sailor and a pretty cool chick. So many of us are heartbroken.

Talk to someone, shippies. It can get better.

1-800-273-8255 is the national suicide hotline. Go to doc. Ask someone for help. Please.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Sorry to hear

It's quite odd, seemingly mundane suicides hit you a lot harder than you think.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Condolences, poopkitty. Even if it's someone from another department and you stood a few watches together, you find yourself glancing at a calendar a decade later and "oh, it's the twelfth of August and... OK, all of a sudden it got really dusty in here and my allergies started acting up".

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Calus posted:

Ike Ike Baby

Eisenhower, The old 69

I am sorry for you. I spent 4 years on the Mobile Chernobyl and was on her decom crew.

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right

I am sorry for you. I spent 4 years on the Mobile Chernobyl and was on her decom crew.

I think you had it a lot worse than me dude. That one's not even Nimitz class, right? You probably had an asbestos mattress.

Sorry Poopkitty. Those are tough, even when I didn't know the person beyond name I always found myself wishing I could have said something to them.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I can't even remember great lakes except for one sole experience, wherein I realized I was in a frozen hell. The weather went from almost 70 degrees one day to <10 the next, and about 6 feet of lake effect snow fell overnight.

Seriously though dude, are you like a boot washout or something?

I showed up in April and left in June. The memory that sticks with me is standing watch in an empty compartment a week or so away from graduation. It was warm, the trees were green again, and I could hear them rustling gently in the wind and thinking it was actually kind of nice.

It was a short moment.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Calus posted:

Edit: Just read the thread. What the gently caress happened after I left? You fucks were supposed to be fixing it not... Whatever the gently caress is going on

Next guy's problem.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Mpve4VvJV0

Just lol

Calus
Jan 7, 2016

You heard right

Oh the memories. I almost forgot about the aquaflage. I always liked the utilities better

Edit: What do you guys do about the mood swings? They got nothing for me at the VA

Edit 2: On my way to the va

Calus fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Jan 11, 2017

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
they're caused by eating red meat and sleeping with any pressure on either of your shoulders

forces bad vapors to get trapped in you

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
Also! Try to go to a shrink, maybe two: one for hugs and one for drugs.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Calus posted:

Oh the memories. I almost forgot about the aquaflage. I always liked the utilities better

Edit: What do you guys do about the mood swings? They got nothing for me at the VA

Edit 2: On my way to the va

Bonus points to whomever identifies exactly where that is and on what class of ship.

Also, mood swings? :420:

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

Calus posted:

They were both equally awful. Just in different ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I get that Type III was probably the cheapest solution to the N-dubs problem, but it's still pretty bad. All the camouflage just seems...out of place compared to coveralls and the like. The Navy is trying way too hard at this.