Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

After I transferred to my next command they got my info and wouldn't let me carry a swiss army knife. I had to train to be able to deploy with the marines in a 'nonpermissable environment' and I was the only one allowed to forgo the 9mm and m4 qual portion. I laugh about it now though, but at the time you cant help feeling embarrassed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Howard Phillips posted:

Applied to two. Was limited due to being on deployment. Got rejected from one and waiting for the other.

Already dropped papers, so if I decide to go to shore duty I will have to do the dance and beg to remove resignation papers. Little embarrassing.

Unless you're 100% certain you're going to get picked up for the second program you are crazy for not taking some bull poo poo shore duty and using it as an extra 12-18 months of paid grad school application time. Not only should you take the shore duty, but you should do it at a fleet concentration area so you can take the NWC Fleet Seminar program and get your JPME done so in case you have to do the terminal pull up, and sign the blood money for some reason, you're not too far behind for the O-4 board.

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Jan 23, 2017

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Blackchamber posted:

After I transferred to my next command they got my info and wouldn't let me carry a swiss army knife. I had to train to be able to deploy with the marines in a 'nonpermissable environment' and I was the only one allowed to forgo the 9mm and m4 qual portion. I laugh about it now though, but at the time you cant help feeling embarrassed.

I mean, I don't know your specific circumstances, but I don't think that's all that alarming or surprising. I have gun cards in my desk drawer right now for Sailors who have had issues which I feel make them a risk for self harm, and I would rather they not have access to the most efficient tools with which to inflict it. That said, I've also returned gun cards to folks who have sought help and treatment and are in a healthier place. It all depends on the situation.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, I don't want to attempt it anymore but I actually kind of enjoy my gun toting job, so I don't want to lose that and go to lagging crew or some poo poo.

ManMythLegend posted:

Also, from the perspective of a sitting CO, let me tell you that I want you

:unsmith:

Anita Dickinme fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jan 23, 2017

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

ManMyth are you the highest O that burns time in here? Is this a useful tool or primarily fun(present issue aside).
I really like how many people stepped forward with good advice. I hope it helps you Anita.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

ManMyth are you the highest O that burns time in here? Is this a useful tool or primarily fun(present issue aside).
I really like how many people stepped forward with good advice. I hope it helps you Anita.

I'm pretty sure that Stultus Maximus is senior to me.

It's primarily for fun, I've had this account since I was a midshipman and followed SomethingAwful for fun shenanigans. That's not to say that I haven't used GiP as a source of information from time to time, but mostly SA is for me to shitpost about tabletop gaming these days.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Anita Dickinme posted:

Yeah, I don't want to attempt it anymore but I actually kind of enjoy my gun toting job, so I don't want to lose that and go to lagging crew or some poo poo.

:unsmith:

I still think you need to go talk to someone. If you're not really thinking about self harm anymore, but are still worried about your command pulling your gun cards then go to the chapel and talk to the RP's about the different chaplains that work there. They're bound to give you a good idea about which one fits your particular taste on the religious to secular scale, and then set up an appointment. Chaplains have mandated confidentiality, they're not allow to "rat you out" even if they wanted to and going to one not affiliated with your command makes it that much more unlikely, but will still let you talk things out and get on the road to getting healthier.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ManMythLegend posted:

It's primarily for fun, I've had this account since I was a midshipman and followed SomethingAwful for fun shenanigans. That's not to say that I haven't used GiP as a source of information from time to time, but mostly SA is for me to shitpost about tabletop gaming these days.

I sneak off with one of our Lt Cmdrs and play Warmachine and DnD sometimes. We have public board game days where it's mostly civilians and enlisted scum and then I schedule another day so he can get together with me and my civilian friends without worrying about someone on the ship crying about who he is spending time with.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I sneak off with one of our Lt Cmdrs and play Warmachine and DnD sometimes. We have public board game days where it's mostly civilians and enlisted scum and then I schedule another day so he can get together with me and my civilian friends without worrying about someone on the ship crying about who he is spending time with.

Yeah, some of my guys found out I play Magic and got all excited so now guys come up to me from time to time to talk about decks and card evaluations and stuff. One actually approached me about setting up a draft tournament for the crew because we have a lot of people who play, or are interested, for such a small ship. I gave him the thumbs up and also the go ahead to approach the MWR committee to to see if they'll pitch in some money.

Meanwhile, I actually got WOTC to donate a whole bunch of packs to the ship so it will end up being pretty much free for everyone, but don't say anything because I'm trying to surprise them. :ssh:

ManMythLegend fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Jan 23, 2017

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, some of my guys found out I play Magic and got all excited so now guys come up to me from time to time to talk about decks and card evaluations and stuff. One actually approached me about setting up a draft tournament for the crew because we have a lot of people who play, or are interested, for such a small ship. I gave him the thumbs up and also the go ahead to approach the MWR committee to to see if they'll pitch in some money.

Meanwhile, I actually got WOTC to donate a whole bunch of packs to the ship so it will end up being pretty much free for everyone, but don't say anything because I'm trying to surprise them. :ssh:

Yeah WOTC sent an absurd amount of stuff out here last year too. They sent like 30 prerelease boxes, 6 boosters boxes, 4 land boxes, and 40 or 50 intro decks. We held a big prerelease limited tournament and drafted the rest of the boosters. They are pretty good about making sure you can get people into their games anywhere in the world.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

I played a bunch of MtG on deployment and I had to stop when people started ordering tons of booster boxes and crazy god-like decks they bought online and made playing unbearable, so yeah doing booster drafts is the way to go.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"We are the premiere tactical aviation training facility for the most powerful navy on the planet. We train aviators to strike anywhere in the world, any time. Unless it's snowing. gently caress dat."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
I'm legit surprised how many snow days we've had this year. I think I had almost an inch of snow this morning. Those adhoc warnings basically just tell me I'm telecommuting today.

Chuckle
Feb 9, 2013
Got assigned a CACO case last week, easily the hardest thing i've ever had to do in the last 11 years in the navy. Just posting to post.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Eh? What's caco?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Eh? What's caco?

The people who bring your wife the folded flag, and the support system for your widow after the fact.

I would never want to do that, i wouldnt be able to handle it tbh.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

no bones about it posted:

The people who bring your wife the folded flag, and the support system for your widow after the fact.

I would never want to do that, i wouldnt be able to handle it tbh.

Oh wow. Yeah that sounds tough.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

While we're talking about downers I just had one of my sailors try to commit suicide last night.

Get help sea ghosts.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

ManMythLegend posted:

Get help sea ghosts.

No kidding, suicide doesn't solve any of the problems that would make you consider it, and unless you are literally not of this earth, you will leave people behind who have to pick up the pieces. Get help, if not for yourself because you don't think you're worth it, do it for the other people who are a part of your life, your family, friends, co-workers.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was so fortunate that when I attempted it the belt broke. I realized I was just being selfish and would have put my family through worse suffering than I was going through. Also Navy belts are cheap as poo poo.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Have you talked to anyone yet? I'm more than a little concerned for you.

Internet strangers care about you too.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Anita Dickinme posted:

I was so fortunate that when I attempted it the belt broke. I realized I was just being selfish and would have put my family through worse suffering than I was going through. Also Navy belts are cheap as poo poo.

Talk to your loving command or chaplain.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

ManMythLegend posted:

While we're talking about downers I just had one of my sailors try to commit suicide last night.

Get help sea ghosts.

The call over the 1MC for "Corpsman lay topside" by the belowdecks watch is something I still hear in my head.

Hope your dude is ok.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
Today and Tomorrow is Mandatory "Transgender Training" for Day/Night shifts (makeup on Friday). I haven't heard anything discouraging from the students, but I am kind of curious what's going to be on those power point slides.

I remember when DADT was repealed, there was a training session over in Andrews that my command had to go to, and everyone seemed to be alright with it. But there was one chief though, who, at a discussion about how homosexual sailors could bring their spouses/partners to Command events/picnics/Mandatory fun, decided that he should be able to harangue these hypothetical because he didn't want his (five) children to witness two people of the same sex kiss one another (it always seems to be homosexual men with these people).

Of course, that chief happened to be my division chief, who was leading a bunch of liberal pansy-rear end programmers. He was also black man -- it's always weird to see people punch down on others when they were barely a generation apart from being punched upon. I don't think he ever saw it that way though.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
When we did the training it was mostly about DEERS and dudes making comments that it is messed up guys can get a tit job and go shower with girls with a boner. Along with the more hateful comments from the peckerwoods.

If someone vocalizes issues with transgendered persons serving probably 50/50 they have dudes getting railed by dick chicks in their browser history

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
yeah but who doesn't these days

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
For reals, talk to someone if you're feeling lovely. I'm so glad I did when I was feeling that way, turns out I was one trigger from a mental break. Got some damned good advice on avoiding the poo poo that tripped my brain up, and I'm far better today than I was in 2009/2010. There's still days, but that poo poo is always going to haunt you.

As for the Transgender training, the reservists were typical peckerheads about the dumb poo poo questions, but for the most part many accepted it as "What the gently caress ever, I don't care." Which is pretty much my attitude: Do your job, I don't give a poo poo what you do or who you do in your off time. I just want to get the gently caress outta work ASAP because I'm a total loving lib-hound.

Leaving Sunday for Gulfport. Looking forward to acting like a retard who's never handled an M4 and shooting guns and poo poo for 6 weeks. Really though I'm so loving ready to get to my command. Given the option I'd totally skip ECS and just drive to Florida.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
"What the gently caress ever, I don't care," is my overall Navy training policy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

DownByTheWooter posted:

yeah but who doesn't these days

- A SOF Marine

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Our training was thankfully mostly dull rather than extremely awkward (I was expecting the worst after the last SAPR training with those godawful videos). The base CO did a pretty good job at the beginning of laying it out - "we did this with blacks, we did this with women, we did this with gays. Nobody gives a poo poo what you think, it's going to happen and it's not going to be a big deal." Then it's like 45 minutes of narrated powerpoint slides explaining uniform regulations and DEERS admin throughout the transition process.

Normally if I see a penis in the men's locker room then something has gone wrong, so I can't imagine many trans women being super eager to start swinging it around in the women's room.

Sir Lucius posted:

"What the gently caress ever, I don't care," is my overall Navy training policy.

I really wanted to claim a religious exemption from the training as a Unitarian. "I promise I'm cool with this, it's entirely in line with my religious beliefs, can I please skip it?"

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Our training was thankfully mostly dull rather than extremely awkward (I was expecting the worst after the last SAPR training with those godawful videos). The base CO did a pretty good job at the beginning of laying it out - "we did this with blacks, we did this with women, we did this with gays. Nobody gives a poo poo what you think, it's going to happen and it's not going to be a big deal." Then it's like 45 minutes of narrated powerpoint slides explaining uniform regulations and DEERS admin throughout the transition process.

Normally if I see a penis in the men's locker room then something has gone wrong, so I can't imagine many trans women being super eager to start swinging it around in the women's room.

I really wanted to claim a religious exemption from the training as a Unitarian. "I promise I'm cool with this, it's entirely in line with my religious beliefs, can I please skip it?"

For some reason, there's no focus on trans men. Hmmmm... I wonder why?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

How flexible are the reserves when it comes to working around class schedules? I'm separating from AD and joining the reserves very soon, and after applying to start school in summer semester I realized that the annual 2-week drill may interfere with that. I'm under the impression that it usually happens during the summer - is that so?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

My unit likes to crank it out at the beginning of the fiscal year which is basically October. They plan a second one for April for all the peeps that miss the first one from either school or whatever. On top of that you can go solo to support another active unit if nothing really works out. Overall it's actually quite flexible. If you get cross assigned to a unit further than 100 miles(I think may be more) or so they can combine two month of drill at once and you can always drill local to you.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

ManMythLegend posted:

I completely wasted my first tour :eng99:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

piL posted:

I completely wasted my first tour :eng99:

Hahaha.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I need some Sailors like you.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I need some Sailors like you.

My CO just likes to talk about the Civil War.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

My CO just likes to talk about the Civil War.

But enough about Current Events...

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

ManMythLegend posted:

Year group 98. Do I win? ;)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

vulturesrow posted:

Year group 98. Do I win? ;)

:corsair: