Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Yes, I love this game!

When you joined the Navy, I had just mastered what fractions were somewhere between my first and second recess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Boon posted:

When you joined the Navy, I had just mastered what fractions were somewhere between my first and second recess.

As a dirty enlisted I pride myself in barely comprehending numbers with a line in between them.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Yeah pretty much. Kind of funny that this came up during mental health talk. The reason I'm an old rear end terminal O4 is because of some mental health issues on my first shore tour that kept me from getting a breakout FITREP. I don't know how much that hurts in the SWO community but in aviation it's the kiss of death. On the upside I no longer get the "you have to take this job to be competitive" spiel and I've taken orders I wanted for the most part.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anyone got friends on the Antietam? Time to start talking poo poo.

https://www.navytimes.com/articles/officials-navy-cruiser-ran-aground-near-japan

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
As someone who arrived to Port Royal not long after the grounding I feel for that crew

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
The CO of the Antietam was my first CO. We called him Explosive Joseph. I would have payed good money to see his reaction when this happened.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Getting my popcorn ready for the "IN MY NAVY" posts.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.

Gray Matter posted:

How flexible are the reserves when it comes to working around class schedules? I'm separating from AD and joining the reserves very soon, and after applying to start school in summer semester I realized that the annual 2-week drill may interfere with that. I'm under the impression that it usually happens during the summer - is that so?

It completely, completely depends on your unit. Mine was willing to work with me a bit for the first two years. Towards the end when I needed to work internships in the summer and school in the fall/spring, I ended up having to drop my IRR chit because life just got too hectic to go play Navy for 2 or 3 weeks. My CoC was actually really understanding when I said I needed to drop to IRR. I got a nice letter from them and I still get occasional invites to go to unit BBQs or lunches.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Obviously you're not a golfer.
Going active finally. Spent two years at MD, but packets done and deals were made to stay in rate. P stoked and should find outq where I'm going this or next month.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Good luck! What are you hoping for?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Anybody here have any experience with Cat 3/4 EFMP? Everything is mental health related and I'm trying to figure out my options. I'm already remote duty and may have to leave early.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Good luck! What are you hoping for?

Well I spent two years on a Watchfloor so dirsup surface would be dandy as a middle ground than direct to ship. But also having a cosistent job and not missing out healthcare/paychecks for my wife and kids is a always a bonus. However when I get accepted to Actove duty, I spend a month at the NOSC without pay/benefits for my family until I get a billet lmao. The last fuckin joke.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

squarerandom posted:

Well I spent two years on a Watchfloor so dirsup surface would be dandy as a middle ground than direct to ship. But also having a cosistent job and not missing out healthcare/paychecks for my wife and kids is a always a bonus. However when I get accepted to Actove duty, I spend a month at the NOSC without pay/benefits for my family until I get a billet lmao. The last fuckin joke.

Whats your rate again? Dirsup surface makes me think CTx.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

Laranzu posted:

Whats your rate again? Dirsup surface makes me think CTx.

CTT, so here's to hoping I get something good.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

squarerandom posted:

LOL. Ship in Japan for you, pal.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

squarerandom posted:

Was a Dirsup surface CTT on my first tour. Was gone...a lot. It was enjoyable but i was also young and single. You're only going to big decks so the amenities aren't bad.

PCS afloat job is loving boring and terrible. Thats why i crossrated.

Ranking from my experience:
1. Watchfloor in Colorado [9141]
2. Watchfloor anywhere else [9102]
3. Dirsup [9102 Watchfloor...on a ship]
99. Hell
456. PCS afloat [17xx series work]. Maintenance. Cranking. Ship fuckery.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 5, 2017

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

DIRSUP CTTs can go to big decks.

E: as a CSG staff augment.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

DIRSUP CTTs can go to big decks.

E: as a CSG staff augment.

Thats what i wrote, right? Or am i reading my own typing dumb? We didn't augment anything but carriers and LHDs.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

I can't read. :( I read that as won't go to big decks.

squarerandom
Mar 24, 2007

poopkitty posted:

LOL. Ship in Japan for you, pal.

Hell ya now I can have 7th fleet BFEA ignore me from a ship now!! CO seems legit. I have no C-school though since I'm a NAT reservist, so would I go back to Pensacola most likely?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

squarerandom posted:

Hell ya now I can have 7th fleet BFEA ignore me from a ship now!! CO seems legit. I have no C-school though since I'm a NAT reservist, so would I go back to Pensacola most likely?

The horror.... the horror...

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

squarerandom posted:

You can do the job as a 0000. Sounds like you already have been. 9102 was a joke when i went after 8 months of experience.

Not sure if 9102 offers any bonuses now.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Are civilian jobs boring? I'm terrified of rotting in some cubicle.

<100 days to go (98)

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

Are civilian jobs boring? I'm terrified of rotting in some cubicle.

<100 days to go (98)

Are Navy commands toxic and terrible? Yeah, some are. Some are rewarding and empowering. Same with civilian jobs. The difference is that it's a lot easier to say "I'm going to bail on this lame job and become an OTR trucker/teach myself programming/work with the elderly/start a restaurant" than it is to change commands/communities in the military. Build yourself up a nice savings account and don't worry about it.

Also congrats, double-digit midget.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

hogmartin posted:

Are Navy commands toxic and terrible? Yeah, some are. Some are rewarding and empowering. Same with civilian jobs. The difference is that it's a lot easier to say "I'm going to bail on this lame job and become an OTR trucker/teach myself programming/work with the elderly/start a restaurant" than it is to change commands/communities in the military. Build yourself up a nice savings account and don't worry about it.

Also congrats, double-digit midget.

Thanks for speaking some common sense. Not gonna lie, I do feel some anxiety from time to time.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Putting up with civilians also really irritates you in the office sometimes because you're used to getting poo poo done (your poo poo that affects your lib) quickly.

But it's got its highs and lows. Cubicle farms suck. Get a field job. Travel lots. Get paid. I loved every minute I was a contractor, but there was always the terror of waking up to no job. Which is exactly what happened when we lost our contract.

In other news, ECS is much fun. Nose Hoses (nasopharengeal airways (sp)) are not. Those suck. I'd rather get an IV from a drunk 80 year old with Parkinsons.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
still at 4 monts until terminal. I'm really excited to get out, but I've only done 6 and never deployed or anything like that

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

still at 4 monts until terminal. I'm really excited to get out, but I've only done 6 and never deployed or anything like that

Don't fret! Join the reserves and they are looking for e5-7 ITs to fill some mobs to Afghanistan!

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE
I go to college for a living. Pretty much owns. VA pays my mortgage, tuition and books and also yoga pants all day.

Today I went to a meeting and got free pizza.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

poopkitty posted:

I go to college for a living. Pretty much owns. VA pays my mortgage, tuition and books and also yoga pants all day.

Today I went to a meeting and got free pizza.

Stealing pizza from the mouths of poor starving college students.

Carry On.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Terminal countdown: 9 days

Rather than doing turnover, checkout stuff, and kickin' it for the duration I get to run around putting out fires and frantically trying to tie up loose ends until the last minute. Between the 2 large aviation programs I manage, one of my reliefs is in school until March and the other has been on leave for the past two weeks.

It is about to be Not My loving Problem real soon :feelsgood:

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Feb 10, 2017

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Prob fake but I still laughed

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gray Matter posted:

Terminal countdown: 9 days

Rather than doing turnover, checkout stuff, and kickin' it for the duration I get to run around putting out fires and frantically trying to tie up loose ends until the last minute. Between the 2 large aviation programs I manage, one of my reliefs is in school until March and the other has been on leave for the past two weeks.

It is about to be Not My loving Problem real soon :feelsgood:

Why did you not throw your hands up in the air two months ago and drop all your programs on your reliefs? Like seriously you hosed yourself.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Isn't this about the point where they tell you that you can't go on terminal?

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

CMD598 posted:

Isn't this about the point where they tell you that you can't go on terminal?
I'm just waiting for that bomb to drop. As far as why I didn't drop my programs on my reliefs, its because the chain didn't even identify who was replacing me until about 2 weeks ago. One of them is a recent gain who I have never even seen cause he's been in school since arriving.

I returned my CWAY quota last spring.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Gray Matter posted:

I'm just waiting for that bomb to drop. As far as why I didn't drop my programs on my reliefs, its because the chain didn't even identify who was replacing me until about 2 weeks ago. One of them is a recent gain who I have never even seen cause he's been in school since arriving.

I returned my CWAY quota last spring.

Too bad you don't get to spend time in purgatory Bremerton. It was nice getting paid to skate for 8 hours a day in TPU for two weeks while I waited for my terminal leave to start.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So this is a thing that happened:

Oops. Using wrong oil damaged three $80 million Navy planes, requiring 6 new engines

quote:

Days before the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush set out from Norfolk last month, the Navy had to scramble to fix a major problem with the ship’s squadron of early warning, command and control aircraft.

The engines on three of the squadron’s four E-2C Hawkeyes had been damaged and needed to be replaced.

The culprit?

The wrong oil was used in each $80 million twin-turboprop aircraft.

“The damage occurred over a period of time and it involved the use of a lubricant not approved or specified for these engines,” Naval Air Force Atlantic spokesman Mike Maus said in response to questions from The Virginian-Pilot. “A thorough investigation is being conducted to determine how and why this procedure was allowed.”

Should be an interesting read when the investigation report comes out.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

So this is a thing that happened:

Oops. Using wrong oil damaged three $80 million Navy planes, requiring 6 new engines

Should be an interesting read when the investigation report comes out.

How? We all use the same oil.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

CMD598 posted:

How? We all use the same oil.

Mechs..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seqenenra
Oct 11, 2005
Secret