Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

I have faith that I’m gonna fail it. The amount of questions dealing with recall of publication numbers and not actual IT issues was staggering. I simply can’t recall them if im not using them.

I’ve been an E6 for over 4 years now and in the reserves for 9 years. I’m pretty ok with being a decent E6 reservist whenever I show up.

Would be funny if they actually had questions on setting up your commands print queues or connecting nmci computers to the wireless or DTS or anything at all to reserve work.

No one remembers the pubs.

Charlie out!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

It's all graded on a curve, you don't have to know poo poo, just answer more questions better than the next guy.

I got like 7/12 QA questions right on one Chief exam, which netted me like an 85th percentile.

E:
What section of the JFMM covers o-ring reuse requirements?

4.13.(b)
4.12.(a)(ii)
4.11.(d)
4.12.(a)(i)

Normal things a normal human has memorized.

Elviscat fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Feb 28, 2024

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I imagine there is at least one quota for a new reservist ITC.

Let me tell you about all of the years that FCC was zero! Thanks for letting me keep my rate fuckos!

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

PneumonicBook posted:

I imagine there is at least one quota for a new reservist ITC.

Let me tell you about all of the years that FCC was zero! Thanks for letting me keep my rate fuckos!

Reserve FCC: 18 chiefs in 11 billets for the third year in a row!

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
While looking at quotas I noticed every single year there are like 60 ITC quotas. Lol.

Looks like FCC and FCAC finally opened up though with 6 and 3 respectively last cycle.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Feb 28, 2024

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

If I make it the fun is over…. Noooooo.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Up or out mothafuckaaaaaa!

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Up or out mothafuckaaaaaa!

I don’t even have gold chevrons yet! Let me enjoy this for another decade before I get serious.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
What is it that you think selres chiefs do?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

More than I currently do. I’d feel obligated to try harder or something.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

There's a reason I left at 14 years with 6.5 of them as a Chief in the reserve

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Crab Dad posted:

I don’t even have gold chevrons yet! Let me enjoy this for another decade before I get serious.

lmao you're going to the goat locker

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
they will try to give crab the chief initiation poo poo and he will blow them off

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

They'll try to get Crab Dad to do the donut sale and he'll end up with a daiquiri in a deck chair while :chiefsay: are doing the work

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

Back in the day my dad did 2 years, got out for 2 years, then went back in for 23 years and retired as an e5 with like 3 gold service strips lol

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

ded posted:

they will try to give crab the chief initiation poo poo and he will blow them off

They'll just give him a star to put on his anchor, as retribution.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

I don’t even have gold chevrons

Hey, me neither!

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Hey, me neither!

Let's deconstruct that, shall we

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Nick Soapdish posted:

Let's deconstruct that, shall we

It's a complex issue, but if you break it down to its constituent parts...

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

I don't know if :thejoke: but the Navy doesn't consider NJP for gold anymore, only reason I had gold chevrons for my last few months in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I don't know if :thejoke: but the Navy doesn't consider NJP for gold anymore, only reason I had gold chevrons for my last few months in.

I can’t be bothered to check but gold just denotes more that 12 years of service now. Too many master chief’s with NJPs were big mad they had to rock red.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Crab Dad posted:

I can’t be bothered to check but gold just denotes more that 12 years of service now. Too many master chief’s with NJPs were big mad they had to rock red.

Back in my day ... [storms off and dies thinking of hands in pockets]

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
Well we got snow overnight and the old Marine next door beat me to the sidewalk shoveling again. He told me that he knew I needed my beauty sleep as a sailor and that I wasn't getting any younger.

Then he told me how excited he was that he was chosen for an honor flight. He's a Korean War vet and they get second priority after WW2 vets. Told me he hoped to see some old buddies but they wouldn't recognize each other. I told him to just pick one guy and go up to him like he knew him during the war. At least it would give that guy something to talk about.

Anyway he was super excited and I hope he lives long enough to make it.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Crab Dad posted:

Man, having that red rocker would be something to brag about in my junior enlisted opinion. Making Chief despite having had a spicy career. It'd depend on what the NJP(s) had been for, of course - something lame and stupid like DUI would suck.

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
the Chiefs with red stripes in the Seabees were pretty much always the guys who did everything they could to take care of/provide top cover for their people. glad they won't have that issue anymore

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Man, having that red rocker would be something to brag about in my junior enlisted opinion.

This is me.

Lemniscate Blue posted:

something lame and stupid like DUI would suck.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

LOL, if you have a disciplinary action when you’re an E-2, and then stay in for twenty years, you’ve got to wear red hash marks the whole rest of your career? As a kind of scarlet letter?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

MrMojok posted:

LOL, if you have a disciplinary action when you’re an E-2, and then stay in for twenty years, you’ve got to wear red hash marks the whole rest of your career? As a kind of scarlet letter?

Am I understanding this correctly?

Nah, you get gold (well, used to) if you've been 12 years with no disciplinary actions. So in your example, if the E-2 got in hot water at their 1-year mark, they'd be eligible for gold stripes in their 13th year and get to wear them for the last 7 of their 20.

(I think. If someone knows different please correct me.)

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Nah, you get gold (well, used to) if you've been 12 years with no disciplinary actions. So in your example, if the E-2 got in hot water at their 1-year mark, they'd be eligible for gold stripes in their 13th year and get to wear them for the last 7 of their 20.

(I think. If someone knows different please correct me.)

Yes this is what it use to be.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Crab Dad posted:

Yes this is what it use to be.

And now it’s of yo gently caress up you’re stuck with Red?

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Nystral posted:

And now it’s of yo gently caress up you’re stuck with Red?

Nah, now you get gold at 12 regardless of any other factors.

I went to NJP at 4 years, so under the old rules I would have been eligible for Gold at 16 years. Under the new rules I started wearing gold at 12.

It's also not really a mandatory thing, and almost no one was ever going to check your service record to make sure you're wearing the right stripes anyways.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
All this talk about navy exams reminds me that my father had to take some promotion test while my mother was in labor in the base hospital.

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

The Navy's batshit insane about advancement exams.

We had a 20 year first class, retiring before he'd even have been selected who they forced to take it, he tried to answer every question wrong (you'll get yelled at for just bubbling in "A" on everything and leaving after 15 minutes) and he ended up scoring in the 20th percentile.

I'm the only one I know who was excused from an advancement exam, and it was because I was the acting M-Div Chief for a reactor cooldown, and I had about a month left in.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I had a fellow instructor when I was on shore duty who "slept in" and missed the Chief's Exam. At DRB they asked him if he even wanted to be a Chief, and this loving legend said, "Not really." You've never seen a case get sent up so fast. He was an E-5 within the week, it was nuts.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
In my dad's case the instructor knew about my mother and kept slipping him hints throughout the exam to hurry things along. "It's not number one, and it's not number three or number four..."

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots
I was almost done with my bachelor's while on active duty. I had zero chance making board as I hadn't been an STS for about 8 years and had zero access to any classified study guides. I asked not to take it, even though my paperwork for retirement had already gone through. My command removed me that is I failed the exam I would lose my Navy College benefits.

The day the results came in, our senior chief called all the first classes into good office, about 10 of us. He grabbed my profile sheet and made a big dramatic thing about how awful my scores were (I killed the general knowledge stuff and bombed all the sonar stuff). He asked if I was disappointed. I asked, if I had made chief, I would have to obliserve it to put on my anchors and he said yes. I told him I was disappointed that I didn't get to turn that down. I was dismissed, but gently caress you for trying to make me look bad in front of the rest of the first classes.

He was at my CRB two months before my retirement and suggested I could look at Liberty University. I had already been accepted for grad school at Hazelden but I thanked him for the suggestion (as per all of my TAPS training).

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Flyinglemur posted:

He was at my CRB two months before my retirement and suggested I could look at Liberty University. I had already been accepted for grad school at Hazelden but I thanked him for the suggestion (as per all of my TAPS training).

That's a lol from me dog

Deus Ex Macklemore
Jul 2, 2004

Zelensky's Zealots

Nick Soapdish posted:

That's a lol from me dog

Yeah, nothing about how I presented myself suggested that THAT would be a good fit for me. I was tasked with leading the guided meditation for the patients since I was a practicing Buddhist. And he knew that.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Got to take the exam my NRA didn't send to the right place last month.

The ESO transferred, the CCC got promoted during maternity leave and transferred, the Admin person doing both of those jobs hit EAOS, and the Command Chief who is normally the fallback for all of THOSE just changed out (YNC -> DCC). So there were zero people in the NRA since January that knew how to: Order exams, verify EAWs... do basically anything at all that wasn't a reenlistment.

It's unfortunate that all of the jobs in the Navy are word-of-mouth and OJT only, and that there's no publication or procedure or documented resources on how to do these jobs. No instructions, nothing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Elviscat posted:

The Navy's batshit insane about advancement exams.

We had a 20 year first class, retiring before he'd even have been selected who they forced to take it, he tried to answer every question wrong (you'll get yelled at for just bubbling in "A" on everything and leaving after 15 minutes) and he ended up scoring in the 20th percentile.

I'm the only one I know who was excused from an advancement exam, and it was because I was the acting M-Div Chief for a reactor cooldown, and I had about a month left in.

I dodged the E-6 test two cycles in a row and successfully escaped. I guess the all-seeying eye took naps sometimes.