Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.
The only thing I got out of it was all the email addresses and some instructions on how to do benefits and stuff. It was all information I could've been given over the course of a single day or one big email.

The job interview portion was kind of okay, and I got some actual feedback that I think helped a little bit. I just baby boomered a bunch of college kids out of a part time entry level job as a leasing assistant for an apartment complex that I'm going to be living at while here at school, and was one of the two applicants out of fifteen that got picked for the job. $10/h but the work is poo poo easy and I actually get paid if I have to stay over the planned hours to finish stuff out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Wingnut Ninja posted:

I don't know how you could have expected anything else. I can count the number of useful classes I've attended on one hand, and still have enough fingers free to hold a beer.

Two beers even, but that might depend on how long you stayed in.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

It's all worth it once you have that sweet, sweet DD-214 in hand my man. Got mine today.

Freedom beard starts now

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Gray Matter posted:

It's all worth it once you have that sweet, sweet DD-214 in hand my man. Got mine today.

Freedom beard starts now

grats

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
Yeah had my laptop which was the only saving grace.

Got an interview with a nice consulting firm and also talking to google cloud services hiring manager. The painful things I've done as a SWO help a little.

Vriess
Apr 30, 2013

Select the items of interest in the scene.

Returned with Honor.
I already had a job when I went for TAPS in Annapolis. Annapolis was filled MUs who had never left Annapolis after 20 years. Also some officers who were instructors.

Fangthane
May 16, 2007
Be true, Unbeliever.
I got out a month ago, and perhaps it's just my particular brand of neuroses but I can't get over how terrified I am of living in a box. Already accepted to school, starting this fall. Objectively, everything is fine except some of my plans didn't pan out, but I can't get over having nothing to stave off the existential terror of waking up homeless one day. I wish I could be like most of you and feel relief that I'm out, but I can't seem to get there. I also echo the sentiments that TAP was a joke. We had half an afternoon on VA services by an instructor that couldn't be arsed to give a poo poo and 3 days of "this is how you write a resume". Good info, but the balance was way off into forehead-to-desk territory.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Once you get settled, you'll wake up and realize it's loving wonderful. You're just way out of your comfort zone for the moment.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.
I have TAP at the end of the month. Thanks for giving me something to look forward to.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Will make double sure to get some muscle relaxers or something for taps

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

I felt weird like I was missing ship's movement or something all the time for the first year or so after I got out. It takes time to readjust just take it easy.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Commoners posted:

I actually get paid if I have to stay over the planned hours to finish stuff out.

What a novel concept.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
4 more months and I'm done. I've seriously had dreams about it. last time I had a dream like that was in the middle of boot camp dreaming boot camp was over.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I got cut loose at noon once (day after duty) and went back to the barracks, completely forgetting that there was a maneuvering watch briefing scheduled for 1430. The feeling of running down to the boat knowing that I was holding up the whole briefing, from the captain on down, was nothing compared to the existential dread of waking up from an ordinary late-for muster boatmare a year after getting out.

Virginia Slams
Nov 17, 2012
Anyone have any experience with working in medical at MCRD san diego?

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

hogmartin posted:

I got cut loose at noon once (day after duty) and went back to the barracks, completely forgetting that there was a maneuvering watch briefing scheduled for 1430. The feeling of running down to the boat knowing that I was holding up the whole briefing, from the captain on down, was nothing compared to the existential dread of waking up from an ordinary late-for muster boatmare a year after getting out.

Whenever I'm having a Navy dream I always default to "Huh, I thought I was out of the Navy. At least they're paying me for this poo poo that I'm loving up. What're they going to do, kick me out?"

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Some days I miss the Navy, but then I realize I don't miss the Navy, I miss my ship and the friends I had on her. Hell, I hated the ship because everything was always broken but the people who were on her really made her what she was. When I was walking around the spaces after they inactivated her and moved everyone to barges and cut the power so they could start cutting things out, it felt weird and wrong, like the ship had lost her soul, because she had no crew anymore.

Related: decommissioning a ship sucks, it's hard work, and it's really surprisingly emotional watching your ship slowly get cut into a bunch of pieces over months and hauled off until there's nothing left above the deck.

Still really glad I'm out and would never volunteer again.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:47 on Feb 22, 2017

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

82 days left but so much underway time left 😢

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

The only thing I miss besides friends is pretty good pay for a job I can completely gently caress up and/or not do at all and have no risk of being fired as long as nothing expensive blows up and no one dies.

And when that happens I would MAYBE get a slap on the wrist.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
My nigga have you tried CONTRACTING?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
GDEB is hiring ~4,000 over the next year or two. That's essentially an application away for any navy goon.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Whats the most important quality in looking for a wife?

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Howard Phillips posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9NF5XU-k2Vk

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Howard Phillips posted:

Trick question, we're all gay.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Howard Phillips posted:

Don't feel like you are a moron or she's a moron when talking to them.

Superficial stuff second after that.

Dog haters who is also a cat lover is a No Fly Zone.

Never ever horse girls. Should be first on any checklist.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

LingcodKilla posted:

Never ever horse girls.

E: sorry about the weird post last night i was a bit buzzed and sitting in a dark room and posting

orange juche fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Feb 22, 2017

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Commoners posted:

The only thing I miss besides friends is pretty good pay for a job I can completely gently caress up and/or not do at all and have no risk of being fired as long as nothing expensive blows up and no one dies.

And when that happens I would MAYBE get a slap on the wrist.

Shame about that DoD hiring freeze...

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Ha! All jokes aside I've seen too many dudes who are terrified of what their beautiful wife will do if they don't meet her expectation.

theAcidQueen
Nov 3, 2009

She'll tear, YOUR SOUL, apart!
For the first time since leaving service this past October, I had a nightmare that I woke up from a nap and was back in Main 2 again when the ship was at full power and we were practically daring our Main Engines to explode.

Then I woke up and realised I had my hand on my Fiance's rear end and that I would never again see a Main Space..

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
Sometimes I miss ship life

Am I... Am I broken?

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Boon posted:

Am I... Am I broken?

Buy a boat

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

Boon posted:

Am I... Am I broken?

Fundamentally, yes.

Let the existential horror begin.

The disease is inside you!

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

LingcodKilla posted:

Never ever horse girls. Should be first on any checklist.

Centaurs generally don't pass the road trip test.

Avoid sphinges, medusae, minotaurs and especially manticores at all costs.

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Boon posted:

Am I... Am I broken?

If I could get a job just stripping and waxing decks, + headphones and weed, I would be setttttt

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

DownByTheWooter posted:

If I could get a job just stripping and waxing decks, + headphones and weed, I would be setttttt

I have a friend who basically has this job plus basic engine maintenance and such. He gets to deliver boats to clients houses in the hamptons and poo poo too. In the winter he goes to tropical islands and just drinks and fucks for 3 months and then comes back and does it again. He also smokes more weed than anyone else I know.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I miss being out at sea all the loving time.

I don't miss the navy.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't miss the navy.

:same:

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I don't miss the navy.

I miss being on transit. Someone wakes you up, you get a buffet meal, stand a watch goofing off with your buddies, go get another buffet meal, wipe down some stuff with kimwipes while listening to your iPod, play some Xbox or read, shower, sleep, repeat. It's a comforting routine. I miss camping at Bellows and hiking the Manoa Falls trail and diving.

I don't miss relieving while on mission and the plexiglas is entirely covered with grease pencil contacts and you don't get a turnover because the guy on the stack is still acquiring contacts. I don't miss drydock. I don't miss weapons loads at West Loch. I don't miss getting called in off standdown because someone got a DUI. It's pretty universal for people to overlook that part when they think back about hot food, cold a/c, and no responsibilities besides your watch.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I miss westpac with an amazing crew. I miss being really good at what we did. I miss the boat feeling like home.

I don't miss "Navy" BS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SquirrelyPSU
May 27, 2003

M_Gargantua posted:

I miss westpac with an amazing crew. I miss being really good at what we did. I miss the boat feeling like home.

I don't miss "Navy" BS

I miss sunsets in the middle of the Pacific. I miss 20 foot seas off Washington and Oregon rocking me to sleep comfortably because the water temp is so cool berthing is like loving heaven.

I also miss high explosives and standing as safety observer behind CIWS during a pacfire and hanging out near the flight deck. I do not miss 3M and zone inspections and lovely leadership. And the shipyards is probably the preeminent lovely experience in my life.