Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Its all dad rock all the way down and it suckkkkkks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
And then all the triad congratulated me and clapped and presented me to the admiral

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Being a CT/DSE rider seemed like a cushy job until I realized they were rotated from boat to boat nearly continuously so they were always at sea on mission. So getting good accomodations was the smallest generosity. But having slightly better accomodations meant that in a crew that was already sour they'd treat the riders lovely. It's circular evil navy fuckery

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Mod 25 best Mod, they rip

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ring Laser Gyro's are the future, and the future is now.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Dukes has the best Brunch

Kalapawai Deli has the best breakfast burrito

Lanikai is the best beach with the best rotating volleyball crew.

The 3am hot dog guy has retired and all hope is lost.

Nashville's remains the lmao option

Thus I have spoken and made such truths known

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
A CVN is an incredible piece of SAR, Disaster relief, and emergency coordination manpower. It's an airstrip, a power plant, a fresh water source, a decontamination station, and a communications hub all in one.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
(Click the link in his avatar)

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
In the current anti-social anti-community environment of the US I don't begrudge anyone their happiness, especially if its someone you met through normal life rather than online dating.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Imagine being a radioman and setting up an unclass data link in parallel with your SIPR link over a secure satellite agile spot beam just so you can sext with your wife on facebook messenger while on mission. Nobody would ever do that.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ok but what does the QR code link to.

Goatse?

I'm smart enough to ask other people.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Once we saved the ship everyone gathered around maneuvering and saluted us, they didn't clap though. Also the doors were still shut so we couldn't actually see the salutes but they were there, right around the corner.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Elviscat posted:

SSMGs rarely, if ever, exploded IME.

We definitely had one join the skipjack diving team on mission. Luckily it only smoked parts we could replace underway rather than, you know, the many dozens of tons of angry spinning metal.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Sonar pings are LOUD. You can still hear them clearly beyond the horizon. Just a rock concert blaring MUUUWREEEeeeeee.....

Ain't nothing deadening that against the human ear. Tons of ways to prevent it from usefully reflecting off of you though.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Was the 1000lbs of BBQ enough to offset the 100 days of suffering extra cleaning leading up to his visit?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
ma'am, that is a baby in that seat.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I'm lacking context. Obv not married to the captain, as that would be terrible frat. But her husband, presumably at a different command, got the captain of the IKE to pull a prank on her?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I’m trying to figure out where this comes from so I can do better than a Facebook link to a nuke meme page

https://www.facebook.com/share/v/LayE6fehcuRdhfKz/

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Cheated out of flirting with the local Napoli wives maybe...

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Doctrine Purist - A missile defense must destroy the missile
Doctrine Neutral - A missile defense must prevent the missile from being combat effective
Doctrine Radical - A missile defense must interact with the missile

Structure Purist - A missile defense is performed by the target or group
Structure Neutral - A missile defense must be something in theater
Structure Radical - A missile defense must interact with the missile anywhere in its lifecycle

Therefore: Neutral/Radical - A "smoking accident" is a missile defense

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I can’t think of anyone in GiP who thinks the US are the good guys.

However we have a totem to US good guys in the form of Crab Dad

Posting is a land of contrast’s

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
What if we meet for a bowling alley fried rice omelet and kissed?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
I couldn't get the fried rice omelet when I visited my sister as the bowling alley is on base and I don't have a CAC anymore, but the closest second is the breakfast Burrito at Kalapawai deli in Kailua so I got one of those (twice!) instead.

But nothing beats that omelet.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
NAMs are a land of contrast. Sometimes you get them for inventorying the galley larder real good. Sometimes you get them for saving people from a burning building.

Sometimes the navy gives you a NAM for good paperwork and get nothing for saving lives.

And dude deserves the NMCM, but such are the whims of the navy, and that takes a lot of paperwork

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Yeah the FD report and the local news channel 8 will do more than any CO would.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
https://open.substack.com/pub/subpargroup/p/reminiscences-of-a-periscope-operator

Good blog about getting out

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
"Jesus Take The Wheel" is never an acceptable form of nautical navigation!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
At first I was thinking “what sort of idiot is letting you two idiots gently caress around on SIPR mIRC” and then you answered my question, the idiot who can self approve that sort of fuckery

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SquirrelyPSU posted:

There's no way in hell I would have lasted anywhere near FC-A for 2 years. In and out in 4 months and that was more than long enough.

We found the root cause for a lot of their issues!

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
Ahh I see your play here: He got a COM, with you being the senior guy on scene so by extension you also need a COM, if not an MSM. This is how you play 5D chess, you are a master of the art good sir.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Elviscat posted:

I dunno what got the 22's CO confined to being a yard officer, but I had a really good impression of him when I left, seems to give a poo poo about the crew.

Sometimes maybe you'd want to put a good CO into a yard to try to save morale during a normally decimating period of a ships crew turnover cycle?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

Elviscat posted:

Current skipper, OTOH, came in at 4AM to bring us fresh homemade cinnamon rolls for a RX cooldown brief :3:

Remember folks, nukes lives are such lovely conditions that even the merest tease of thoughtful concern works wonders for your engineering departments opinion of you.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

orange juche posted:

Crab Dad going to somehow find himself appointed CNO through a series of unfortunate events

loving lol someone already got him the khaki cover and the coffee mug

Crabdad is the Jack Ryan of the Gooniverse.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

maffew buildings posted:

this reminds me of a first class I knew who was planning to retire at the end of deployment. he made Chief and left our det to go do Chief season things and pin his anchor. he then still retired like six months later. there was another first who made it while on terminal and used innappropriate language when saying he wasn't coming back. wow, he would have made a great Chief.

a testament to how stupid and dumb the Seabees are that guys make it or are selected and say "lol gently caress this" instead of gutting it out to bump their retirement pay

Do they still do that thing where they make you go through everything, "Pin" you, but your pay doesn't start at the new grade until like 4-6 months after your promotion? You need to get paid for it to count toward retirement.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
They are long ranged but not good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon
One of the better officers I've ever worked with put on O6 today. Good vibes, not everyone who stays in is awful.