Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
If you request the IRR transfer because your life doesn't let you do the reserves anymore that's totally explainable.

It depends on your leadership I guess. I have yet to witness my chain say no, but pers has a couple times. Basically they've hosed up reserve manning over the last year and don't want to let anyone leave.

Nobody will fault you for just not participating once you've done the legwork to get out. Well some hooyah joker will but who cares.

Edit about mobilization deferral:

If you try to get out of a mob unsuccessfully you don't get adsep'd, you get placed in the IRR in S2 status.

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Dec 30, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Has everyone wished their Chief a happy birthday today?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So, I realize I haven't been in that long and I'm also in a pretty good spot and community so I dont have a lot of room to be complaining about anything....

But to be petty, I'm a little annoyed my command is making me do the PFA this cycle even though I validated with an outstanding last cycle and I'm also checking out of this command in a week.

Like in the grand scheme of things its not a big deal, I can pass no problem and I know physical fitness is important and doing 2 PFAs a year isnt bad or hard, but its still annoying.

Well you're going to be super annoyed when you hear that once they put your BCA in PRIMS it blanks out the rest and they can't even enter your score.

That is some P3 community sounding nonsense right there. Aren't you winged already?

Edit: yes it's a small thing, but the Navy fails at retention because of hundreds of little stupid things like this. Death by a thousand bullshit administrative cuts. Also good luck getting your pay right when you move, and no you can't use your gtcc to cover the expenses you're incurring during your pcs like every other service because reasons. Oh you needed an advance? It's too late now, you're just going to have to figure something out until your new unit and PSD unfuck your travel claim in 60-90 days.

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 6, 2019

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

The math was finally done on my orders that hosed me for 4K at the end. It was them getting back the 25% they took off the housing allowance after a certain amount of days. I of course at the time had no idea I was supposed to tell the navy lodge to reduce my hotel room cost or go find new cheaper nongovernmental lodging.

Oops!

If you were in govt lodging they are required to reimburse you for that, not the 75% rule.

Of course the jtr doesn't have the flat rate language anymore, but this definitely applied:
2. When staying in government lodging, a traveler will be reimbursed for actual lodging costs. The flat rate per diem does not apply when government lodging or contracted government lodging is available and directed, when contracted government lodging is provided at no cost, or if a traveler chooses to stay in government quarters.

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Apr 11, 2019

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Long term per diem rates ended 13 Aug 2018.

For whoever asked: you have been able to refuse the credit check for years, the only thing that happens is you get the restricted card vs the normal one.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

orange juche posted:

God I loving blacked his name out of my memory loving CAPT Dee Mewborne (did a cruise with him as skipper, he picked up rdml off it)

I recall we had 3 successful suicides that cruise and God knows how many attempted ones that failed.

Hey fellow multiple beer-day cruise guy. Dee mewbourne is the worst. He's picking up more stars too.

Hey at least he didn't say dirty words and make videos that implied nudity...

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

DustyNuts posted:

Wife just had our second kid today, a boy this time! Having a new baby while I'm doing CPO initiation is going to be... challenging

Instead of the egg carton or egg or whatever you should literally carry the baby around and complain loudly about millennials and their feelings, having to wipe butts/noses, holding hands, and singing "kumbaya".

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

So do we want a wellness test (what we have) or a functional/combat fitness test (which covers a lot of needs for the Navy)?

Or leave the latter up to the judgement of leadership in individual communities/rates?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Gray Matter posted:

NOSC is cracking down on IDT reschedule requests. They're now apparently being categorically denied without a Navy-related justification, where before they didn't give a poo poo and almost always approved them.

Small fries compared to the problems faced on AD, but still a nice little reminder why "gently caress you if you're still in" is a thing.

loving asinine. Why do they care how you or your unit do work?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

He uh, he med retired as an E-5 or E-6 and is below 60% VA disability rating with those numbers.

That’s the opposite of “FIRE”. I’m in a similar boat but I’m in school, I’m 100% w/ the VA, and I also got a wife earning the big bucks. Also: We’re DINK living, and I still don’t consider myself to be financially independent and retired early. I just have $45k a year tax free for not dying yet. And cheap TRICARE insurance. That covers the bills, and naturally the mortgage. My GI bill money is just paying for dumb poo poo like vacations or random house upgrades. I never see the money because the wife put dibs on it. My wife’s income is totally hers, like I have no access to it, but she spoils me. I don’t want for much.

There’s no secret to retiring young. There will be fights between you and miss six figures a year, though. I don’t care how evolved or woke your relationship is. I’ve been with my wife since we were 15 and we actually split up right when I retired, and almost didn’t make it. We have a strong relationship but before I went back to school the resentment radiated at me was loving thick.

Plus if you truly retire young, you can pretty much expect to die the same way: Young.

Everybody gets hung up on the R-word, but it's really the independence part that matters. You have a basic income, cheap, fairly comprehensive health insurance, and a (I'm assuming) debt free college experience. That's a huge dollop of freedom/independence from wage labor that most people will never see.

(It's deserved, and you definitely earned it. All I'm trying to say that in one of the most prosperous nations in history, you shouldn't have to break yourself in the military to deserve a living income and health care. )

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

You are 100% allowed to book whatever is required then do what the gently caress ever you want and you can get reimbursed up to the cost of what was approved.

If you can get a hotel below the perdiem rate you can do it yourself, just book whatever gets you through the process then call the hotel and cancel with them directly.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Wait Seabees don't fast rope and shoot poo poo?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Quarantine is what you do for people who have actually tested positive.

ROM is because we can't be assed to actually test people we're worried might be infected, so we just pre-emptively quarantine them to see if they get sick or not.

You're thinking of isolation. Quarantine is for suspected cases or exposure to known cases to wait out incubation.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

They're mobilizing everybody up in here.

No really a lot of the surgemain units are going on active duty this summer en masse.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

ManMythLegend posted:

lol if your command has a boot color policy.

Last CO didn't give a gently caress. Went with the Army policy of 'doesn't hurt your feet and is coyote brown or black 8" boot' and he was cool. He also wore Nikes and I wear Merrells.

New CO also doesn't care. New CMC though? He is loving mad that people have different boots. For once as XO I get to be the good guy and tell him to calm down. (The previous CMC completed the Triad boot rodeo and rocked his desert tan Belleville flight boots)

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

vulturesrow posted:

Whoa you're an XO now dude?

Yeah I volunteered to replace the guy who left for command because I couldn't deal with another terrible boss for my last year in. Been doing it for over a year. My wife is ready for me to be done. She hates me trying to be everybody's dad all the time. I will miss all of my sailors. They've really made this a great command, especially with the covid nonsense. The CMC was adamant at first that E6 and below couldn't telework but guess what: no disciplinary issues, nobody getting fat without group PT, and our little part of the Navy's work keeps getting done.

It's incredible what happens when you have a CO that really delegates authority to the lowest possible level, a chief's mess that really trains and mentors and sailors who feel like they're heard and contributing. In a loving shore command where you are expecting all the limdu and legal garbage to wash up.

I start terminal leave Friday afternoon, retirement in a couple months. I'll miss this command but gently caress the navy.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Unfortunately it sounds like you're in a hospital or clinic in which case good luck because medical people are not good at playing naval officer most of the time.

There's been a lot of good advice here. How hard have you tried, truly, to try to get this lpo to treat you like a person? Multiple unrouted request chits should be enough to get at least the division/dh level involved.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Gray Matter posted:

fuuuuuuuuuck you if you're still in

Hey so glad to quote this and loving mean it.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

TidePods4Lunch posted:

https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/P...2VImFpBTXXGwoM/

I went through most of flight school, the 60S FRS, fleet squadron, and was an instructor at VT-2 with LT Rhiannon “PALT” Ross. She was the Naval Helicopter Association’s pilot of the year a few years back for saving a helicopter and crew that most pilots would have ditched into the Persian Gulf. Real loss for Naval Aviation.

Sorry for your loss. Take care of yourself

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

TidePods4Lunch posted:

I don’t have the write up unfortunately. Long story short, the tail rotor had been rigged wrong and no one from maintenance to the FCF pilots caught it. While coming into a hover over the back of a DDG to practice fast roping, the helo entered an uncommanded yaw that couldn’t be countered by the pedals. The bird rotated something like 540 degrees before she managed to fly it away without hitting the DDG. I never saw the FLIR video from the other helo but apparently it was nuts.

I had one emergency close-in to the carrier like this: fuel valve failed open, engine shut down with a max trap load (flying ordnance aboard) and I thought I would snag an inflight engagement for sure. I remember every word, and every action of that day. Crazy part is from the error to when I arrested my descent rate in my brain was at least half a minute it took less than two seconds to go to full ab on the tapes.

To arrest a spin like that, loving amazing. I genuinely miss being part of the active aviation community now that I'm out but goddamn I don't miss the loss. I'm at the point where I hope I'm so old I don't recognize the names anymore, but it's crushing to think of the community and families.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

That's great driving. I feel like that's easier to do by accident than on purpose.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

"relentless surface warfare training" = potty training?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

I have an acquaintance out there who told me when it happened. Everyone just got out of a 23 day isolation period prior to getting underway, everything on the boat is shut down for covid, and everyone is loving miserable.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Would love to see that bracket done on the Navy reserve homeport with NOSCs.

There are some terrible ones out there.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

LingcodKilla posted:

Too bad you never got to meet me!

Alameda was so loving terrible 5 years ago. Kitsap is ok but mostly because I worked there for 4 months and got to know everyone and worked as a civilian in the same base to show up in person to get poo poo done.

Alameda gained some fame among NOSCs a few years ago for having their sailor of the year sexually assault women at the holiday party but the triad didn't do anything because "he's a good dude and it would mess up his career".

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

You know you're a salty reservist when you've been there long enough to bitch about the replacements.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Weapon was a gift from the junior sailor on the vbss team that he was screwing?

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Don't worry, there are people working overtime to make sure rape and sexual assault are back to the forefront soon.

Can't wait for this news to break.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Might be the contractor who does the exams. My representative straight up told me it was going to sound like a scam but it's not.

If you filed a claim they will be calling and texting you constantly to get scheduled.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

Actually, no. You would think so based on my description, but it was this guy. What a photo, right? :v:

Edit: Oh, yeah. I also forgot to mention that before being a state rep, he was in the White House press corps. So you know he's a winner.

Of course he's an O4

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Crab Dad posted:

ECRC still terrible and in addition to being delayed a week there’s also the 96 coming up that may push me back a little if anything goes wrong.

Told my NOSC that I would be potentially flying in Friday or Saturday and they said perfect it’s a drill weekend just come in right away.

No. It’s been 370 days. They can wait till Monday.

Reserves.txt

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Your NOSC doesn't have the Monday after drill weekends off?

A lot of the larger ones do a 50/50 split on Mondays and Fridays + two drill weekends.

That way people still get time off but are never closed.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

I still need to figure out what I want to do with my 9/11 GI bill. I don't have any dependents and no kids on the horizon.

But I don't really need the money nor have the time to actually dig into another post-grad degree. >_>

Go learn to fly. Lot's of VA approved flight schools.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

The question there would be whether or not the GI Bill would cover *flight hours*, not just instruction.

A lot of schools package the whole thing. If you need extra hours it is out of pocket.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Like our new pilots going on the flight line meeting all the plane captains and qa people while searching for a "pad eye wrench" that was always lost from the tool room.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

I wondered if that's why they were so adamant about not doing it.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

orange juche posted:

Lmao you were on the Lincoln? We crossdecked some vacuum tubes from you guys in the gulf I think on the 2011 deployment. It was either you or whoever was our 2nd carrier out there that we relieved.

I think that was the Vinson.

Speaking of that 2011 cruise, if anyone knows anyone with a hosed up pcs the last couple of years can blame Vice Admiral Dee loving Mewbourne who, if history is any guide, is currently triggering a crushing wave of morale suppression at USTRANSCOM.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Officers were, and in some cases still are, actual American nobility.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

AlternateNu posted:

And there's always one pilot loving a chief somewhere who is, in turn, likely loving one of their E3s.

Quite often you can leave the chief out and go straight O2 on E3 action.

Otherwise that all reflects my experience.

Edit:

Was smoking a cigar with the big XO once when he abruptly stood up and said "someone is probably loving someone they're not supposed to and trying to ruin my career right now, gotta go"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Using a non-urinal toilet with a one piece flight suit can definitely be a pain, since we have a enough room to move around in the P-8, I know quite a few people who just take their suit off and take care of business. Some guys have started using 2 piece flight suits, which definitely help there, but the cuts so far on the 2-peices are a little too loose, so even the guys who are in good shape who use them look like they're wearing a maternity blouse.

Every woman I know in the Hornet community got their flight suits tailored. They always look like poo poo at issue because they're only designed for men. Even after half a century (at least) of women flying in the Navy.

Like TVS said about having to disrobe every time you go to the bathroom, just another unacknowledged tax on being a woman in the Navy.