Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Get that booze monkey off my back!
Welcome home. Hope you get some time off for the holidays.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

You all aren't even talking about the best part of the Seabees: reservist Seabees.

Just epic fuckups. Their fat gently caress of a chief was not a help, and their CO was hilariously inept.

Looking back on that tour though it was close between the Seabees and the Cargo Handling Battalions for worst sailors/professionals/people.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

How can you deliver bad news without crab legs?

We're not barbarians, the sailors should at least get surf and turf before they have to eat poo poo.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

You can't be involuntary mobilized based on your civ skills but you can apply for things outside of your rate based on appropriate civilian skill sets.

Supposedly.

That was the idea anyway. I never saw it happen in three years of cutting reservists orders.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Unless you want to stay in DC and work there after this next tour skip it. If you don’t want to be a CO, skip it.

Your commodore may be pushing you for the job because he thinks you’re great, but there’s a good chance it’s a “hard-fill” or a random URL job that they can’t fill with a sub or swo body.

Many career bootlickers in the pentagon have heard of work-life balance and they hate the idea. You could get lucky but there are a lot of strivers and people who hate their families. I know that’s generally true of naval officers but not as much in aviation. I turned down two opportunities to work there: one doing aviation requirements poo poo for N98 and one for reserve manning because I personally didn’t love the navy enough to spend 12 hours a day being part of the problem.

Stay closer to the community and do something fun that keeps you in the plane. You are quickly running out of those opportunities. gently caress the career implications (unless it is going gently caress you out of 20). Aviation promotion is heavily weighted towards “what have you done for the community lately” so if you’re near the mothership of Hampton Roads and wearing a flight suit then you’re probably fine.

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Maybe not if he’s going to another tour afterwards. Depending on how close to twenty, getting out at 15 and not having the very comfortable fallback of retirement and lifetime healthcare may not be worth the extra five years of mic employment. If this were the last set of orders then yes work on your post navy job from the pentagon and move on, but as a noble, in that field, he’s going to have a large mic network no matter what.

And it’s about milking the next set of orders, which will surely be deployed and you want to be as close as possible to Norfolk and oceana if you want a good air wing job and not get stuck as ship’s company. Quality of life is very very different between those two.

Also Wingnut: is there a chance you could bail and go TAR or reserves or are you committed somehow?

Geizkragen fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geizkragen
Dec 29, 2006

Bad news folks, even being a noble isn’t enough to keep away the sad anymore:

https://news.usni.org/2023/06/19/surface-warfare-tackles-persistent-problems-as-more-than-half-of-jos-say-they-dont-want-command