Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
People always say "don't go to D&D", but an Event Horizon recording as a reminder is always appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Condolences, poopkitty. Even if it's someone from another department and you stood a few watches together, you find yourself glancing at a calendar a decade later and "oh, it's the twelfth of August and... OK, all of a sudden it got really dusty in here and my allergies started acting up".

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I feel that the Coast Guard has done the working uniform appropriately, and that the French coveralls with their reflectivity are pretty much the way to go. Second cruise did a crew swap with the Charles Du Gaulle and they were very good.

The Aussies also have a pretty nice coverall. It looks monstrously hot and heavy, though. Probably the trade-off for fire protection.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

maffew buildings posted:

If it involves force shaping to eliminate all the non hackers who can't make that look good it would be the best thing ever. Also gayest. So again, best

If the crossed ankles with the thumb in the pocket in the first picture doesn't replace parade rest, this nation is doomed.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Got to crank! This reserve unit is fun! Much better than sitting in scif!

It might be one of those selective memory things, but cranking was actually not that bad. There's the indignity of "I signed up to be an elite naval warfighter with the most advanced equipment" and newwwp, you're gonna wash dishes in a paper hat, sucker. Then you get to crawl through the sphere access tunnel hoping that the shipyard bubba actually checked it gas free, wrench on stuff in ballast tanks covered in barnacles, and basically spend life covered in 2190-TEP, and suddenly going back to cranking sounds like a pretty sweet gig. Plus cranks always get to snag the best cookies before they go out to the line.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Yep, we had cookies. Muffins for breakfast pretty much daily, but field day lunch was always sliders, fries, and chocolate chip cookies.

I also cranked with a first class. He was an ELT and after nuke school stayed on to do training or something. Showed up to the boat and had to qualify on the sanitizer and TDU like everyone else.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Midrats were fine if there were decent leftovers from dinner. If not, stand in a line all the way back to the yeomans' shack to claim your reward of burned canned ravioli.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

M_Gargantua posted:

Were we the only boat to call them death pillows? (They 75% resulted in awful gas)

Nope, probably universal. We called them death pillows, or vitamin R. I never want to see canned ravioli again. We had a rice pot and soup pot though, so at least there was an alternative.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Are hamsters chicken cordon bleu or something? I don't remember hearing that one.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Hearing your guys horror stories puts things into perspective because I felt we were pretty drat spoiled on deployment

Hey, buddy, I'm just here to bitch about canned ravioli.

When we had a galley watch captain who knew what he was doing and cared enough to do it well, we got some pretty good stuff. Just very rarely for midrats.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 22, 2017

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
In port, a chaplain (even for people who aren't religious). On a ship underway, someone else here probably has some suggestions.

Rehab or separation (if those are possibilities) beats the alternative though.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Howard Phillips posted:

Are civilian jobs boring? I'm terrified of rotting in some cubicle.

<100 days to go (98)

Are Navy commands toxic and terrible? Yeah, some are. Some are rewarding and empowering. Same with civilian jobs. The difference is that it's a lot easier to say "I'm going to bail on this lame job and become an OTR trucker/teach myself programming/work with the elderly/start a restaurant" than it is to change commands/communities in the military. Build yourself up a nice savings account and don't worry about it.

Also congrats, double-digit midget.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I kept my address up to date and once had to do a CBT over the internet on human trafficking. When I finished it, I got a certificate to print out that stated

STS2/SS hogmartin HAS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED TRAINING IN:
SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETED TRAINING

I printed it out and stuck it to the refrigerator with a magnet. That was the entirety of my IRR interaction, no muster or physical or anything. That was ten years ago though.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I got cut loose at noon once (day after duty) and went back to the barracks, completely forgetting that there was a maneuvering watch briefing scheduled for 1430. The feeling of running down to the boat knowing that I was holding up the whole briefing, from the captain on down, was nothing compared to the existential dread of waking up from an ordinary late-for muster boatmare a year after getting out.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

I miss being out at sea all the loving time.

I don't miss the navy.

I miss being on transit. Someone wakes you up, you get a buffet meal, stand a watch goofing off with your buddies, go get another buffet meal, wipe down some stuff with kimwipes while listening to your iPod, play some Xbox or read, shower, sleep, repeat. It's a comforting routine. I miss camping at Bellows and hiking the Manoa Falls trail and diving.

I don't miss relieving while on mission and the plexiglas is entirely covered with grease pencil contacts and you don't get a turnover because the guy on the stack is still acquiring contacts. I don't miss drydock. I don't miss weapons loads at West Loch. I don't miss getting called in off standdown because someone got a DUI. It's pretty universal for people to overlook that part when they think back about hot food, cold a/c, and no responsibilities besides your watch.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh boy I can't wait to go back to Hawaii next week for some more mahu.

The weather better be radically different that Washington right now because I could some sun.

How much free time do you anticipate? Will you have a car?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

They didnt give out cars this time because we are going as a unit so vans it is. My wife is flying in on next Thursday and staying until monday so I'll be uh.. busy on the weekend. I'll be staying at waikiki beach if you have time this Sunday, dont mind taking a taxi or bus. We dont officially report for duty until Monday morning. This is a new reserve unit to me so I have no idea how hard they are going to work us during the week. It's a watertight door, hatch and live preserver inspection unit so yeaaaaah.

I'd take you up on it but I'm not out there anymore. Just trying to think of fun stuff you might be able to do on your off-time. Do you hike?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
Cool. For whatever reason, Manoa Falls trail just popped into my head, so I figured I'd mention it if you and the wife happen to be the hiking type. There's a trail up to the falls that's paved, very leisurely and easy (plus the forest and the falls are beautiful), maybe a half hour round trip. Then, once you get to the falls, turn left and you can take a trail that continues through bamboo thickets and up switchbacks until you end up on a peak and it's like you can see the whole drat island from there. Bring a Camelbak and a windbreaker if you take the hike beyond the falls. Google Manoa Falls trail for more info. It's not terribly far from Waikiki, but you'd probably have to take a cab; I don't think there's a bus that runs there. MWR might be able to wrangle you some transportation.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Got a car rental for the weekend. Gonna google it first so you arent sending me to a gay-hookup campsite but that sounds like a really nice thing to do with her on Sunday.

Wife likes the idea. It's a go for our Sunday together.

Nice! No trick, just a fun hike. Up to the falls is easy and relaxing, my 60 year old parents did it after lunch. If you go past there up to the peak (I never knew the name, but Google is giving me Aihualama/Pauoa Flats trail), expect mud, the trail isn't paved. It's a blazed trail and all, it's not like you'll get lost or do orienteering, it's just that it's a track through the forest up a mountain.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Mar 31, 2017

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Was anyone not religious in boot camp

Bagged out every Friday night to sit in nice chairs and BS with the chaplain and the ~12 other yids who bothered to show up, and still got a whole Sunday of holiday routine.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Only had I heard of first hand during my time. Some kid in my building tried to hang himself with a shoe string in the laundry room and the night watch found him. They took him down and put him back in his bed. He tried again that night with the drawstring of his sweatshirt in the shower. That time the night watch finally told a petty officer and poo poo went nuts and woke us all up.

There was one recruit in my division who tried it with his towel in the showers. Pretty half-assed attempt, but it got him out of the Navy, which I guess was his goal so good job I guess.

The ET2 quartermaster I spent a lifetime bullshitting with on fathometer watch did a much more thorough job with his M9 on belowdecks watch, RIP Johnny :(

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

ded posted:

Belowdecks carries a weapon now? gently caress sake. All I ever had to worry about was that dumb belt.

Dunno about now, this was 2006. Topside, pier rover, and belowdecks all had M9s with a shotgun for the pier rover.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
I have a 30% VA disability but the nearest VA hospitals are an hour away. I'm currently between jobs and don't have my employer's health coverage anymore. If I have to go to the ER, or see a local doctor sooner than I can get an appointment at the VA hospital, is that going to be completely out-of-pocket?

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Mr. Nice! posted:

Is there any type of VA clinic nearby? Like one closer than 40 miles away? If so, that's who you need to use for any PCM related issues. Any legitimate emergency, so long as you're properly enrolled in VA healthcare, should be covered at an ER. I've had to make an ER trip before. Gave them my VA information and had to call a regional office number for the VA to report it.

If you are further than 40 miles from ANY VA clinic or hospital, then you have full VA Choice eligibility and should get rocking on that. It's basically a local insurance program if there isn't a VA facility nearby.

Thanks. The nearest VA clinic is in town, but it's an outpatient clinic so not an emergency option, and probably makes me ineligible for VA Choice if it's here.
If I went in to an appointment at the (>hour away) VA hospital years ago to get the original disability percentage. Would that likely count as 'properly enrolled in VA healthcare', or is there a separate process? I don't have a card or anything.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007
LingcodKilla, are you and the wife still in Hawaii? Did you do the Manoa Falls trail? You're blueballin' me here, buddy, waiting for a trip report.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

LingcodKilla posted:

Sorry! We changed plans after walking all day on Saturday at the PCC. Ended up going on a snorkel cruise. We saw humpback, pilots, spinner dolphins and turtles.

Good times but now I'm back home.

Aw, nice. Glad you guys had fun!