Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
End of deployment POM is coming to an end. Time to step back into the Matrix. :smith:

125 days left.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Grad program I applied to isn't sending out results... I feel like I got denied.

Now that it's post deployment time there's a sudden urge to stay in.

I keep hearing in my mind "three years is nothing" to stay in for DH ride.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Boon posted:

You applied to just one?

Do not sign that bonus, at the most go to shore tour because its a day job and 'free' money and then apply to more than one grad program.

Applied to two. Was limited due to being on deployment. Got rejected from one and waiting for the other.

Already dropped papers, so if I decide to go to shore duty I will have to do the dance and beg to remove resignation papers. Little embarrassing.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Are civilian jobs boring? I'm terrified of rotting in some cubicle.

<100 days to go (98)

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

hogmartin posted:

Are Navy commands toxic and terrible? Yeah, some are. Some are rewarding and empowering. Same with civilian jobs. The difference is that it's a lot easier to say "I'm going to bail on this lame job and become an OTR trucker/teach myself programming/work with the elderly/start a restaurant" than it is to change commands/communities in the military. Build yourself up a nice savings account and don't worry about it.

Also congrats, double-digit midget.

Thanks for speaking some common sense. Not gonna lie, I do feel some anxiety from time to time.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Nostalgia4Murder posted:

I did nothing on irr. Didn't even go to the one muster thing they told me about. Nothing happened.

Where the gently caress do you even muster?

Also sitting in TAP class I realize what a genius I am for deciding to get out now. FTN motherfucker, FTN.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

AAR: TAP Class is a colossal waste of time if you have even half a brain

-- 90% of the poo poo they cover is available on the internet through the VA/DOL website and have you heard of GOOGLE
-- You will always have a handful of idiots who think they know better, who are loud, and who ask dumb questions, so that when you're sitting there in TAP class listening to some shitbrains instructor who retired as an E6 who needs that poo poo Fleet and Family Services job to keep maintaining their crappy lifestyle they will keep interrupting you

Forrealz I thought I was going to get a week out of work but after day 1 I realized that I'd rather be routing CASREPs and sucking dick on the ship than sit through this slow and methodical lobotomy.

At my table sat not one, not two, but three obese "WHERE MY BENEFITS AT?" land whales who hadn't done anything for the Navy on LIMDU. Seriously gently caress this gay earth.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Yeah had my laptop which was the only saving grace.

Got an interview with a nice consulting firm and also talking to google cloud services hiring manager. The painful things I've done as a SWO help a little.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

82 days left but so much underway time left 😢

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Whats the most important quality in looking for a wife?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Ha! All jokes aside I've seen too many dudes who are terrified of what their beautiful wife will do if they don't meet her expectation.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

poo poo getting all emotional in this thread.

I'm still in but some things I'm already missing. Namely:
  • Waking up at sea and pulling into a foreign port and that you got your stack of cash, freshest clothes, and just knowing that you're gonna get into some strange and situations that night.
  • Standing a five hour watch and having the relief come a little earlier than anticipated. (Yeah I know).
  • Seeing the stars and the million iterations of sunrise and sunset in the middle of the ocean.
  • Taking the deck out at sea.
  • Seeing an exercise that you planned come to fruition with multiple billion dollar ships and aircraft doing what you imagined them to do. :)

Stuff I don't miss/can't wait to never do again:
  • In port duty day.
  • Taking responsibility for something you didn't do.
  • Seeing a poo poo bag get by despite repeated mistakes and inconsiderate fucks up over and over again.
  • Getting treated like a child.
  • Everyone being pissed off and miserable and the only vent being making GBS threads on each other.
  • Relishing the moment when another department has a big casualty or gently caress up just because the Captain will forget about you for a little bit. It shouldn't be like this :(. SWO thermodynamics.
  • Being told you're going to be a leader and a decision maker but showing up everyday to be micromanaged and having nobody in the chain of command listen. Then getting blamed and being expected to take responsibility for everything. Has given me a tough skin but it sickens me that SWOs take pride in their worst qualities.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

LingcodKilla posted:

Never even seen a radio in person.

Not a real IT. :troll:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I would avoid CTT and CTR like the plague. CTT is literally watching a 30 year old TV while at sea for hours at a time.

CTN is the best for the short enlistment. You get high level clearance TSC/SCI and mostly work on shore for high level mission infastructure. Possibly work with civilian counterparts, so get direct experience.

Can be hired directly into IT role in high clearance required government or contracting job or get degree and do same with more pay.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Underway is the only way.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Worked for Jeff Sessions. It all make sense now. The circle of life, don't doubt it.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Dude in my command buys a brand new motorcycle on Friday for $11k. Following week he drives his motorcycle to first day of Basic Rider Course and on the way home crashes and breaks both arms, destroys his motorcycle, and barely escapes with his life. He did not have have his state motorcycle license. Line of duty of investigation in progress and probably going to mast for riding his motorcycle without state papers or finishing BRC on base. :doh:

Typical sailor tho.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

How big of a deal is it if PSD gets my awards wrong on my DD214? I can't find the paperwork for some of the poo poo I've gotten.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

33 days left until terminal, can't wait to join the ranks of you godless bastards.

Anyone got recommendations for good restaurants, beaches, and strip clubs in Mayport/Jax area? Will be TAD there for two weeks.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Are you going to have a car and how far are you willing to drive?

Will have car. 45min is doable I think.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

Close to Mayport:
Singleton's: A hole in the wall seafood shack. Great fried seafood and a lunch time staple for the Mayport Mafia. It's out the back gate of the base behind the airfield.

North Beach Fish Camp: Southern inspired seafood. Make sure you try their fried green tomatoes.

M Shack: Amazing burgers and shakes. There are a few locations but the original is near Mayport on Atlantic BLVD. Some locations sell liquor infused milk shakes.

Beach Diner: Great diner for breakfast, especially if you're heading to the beach in the morning.

A little further:
Soul Food Bistro: Soul food, I don't think I need to say anything else. Don't go in the time after church services.

Beach Road Chicken Dinner: One of my favorite places. Specializes in fried chicken and serves southern sides, family style. Make sure you go with other people. It's a lot of food.

Into Jacksonville proper:
Lola's: Go here. Order the Leaping Lizard burrito. You're welcome.

Hawker's: Souped up Vietnamese street food. It's really good, but maybe a touch pricy.

Thanks!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

I mean I get TGPS sucks and I sure as hell didn't wanna do it but some people really need that. Transitioning out can be hard but I am not sure how much they could better facilitate it honestly. Some dudes never had a real job and are country bumpkins--they really need all that poo poo. It may seem so elementary to us, but yeah.

TGPS does suck but you can use the time to think about some stuff maybe you've been kicking down the road or haven't thought about. Bring your own laptop and work on resume or job/school research. Some of the activities are stupid and you will have to do them but overall it's not that bad. Nice break away from your command if your work environment is toxic or overbearing.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

squarerandom posted:

Got my verbals to the LPD 26. Was told I'll be there in May. So uh *looks at calendar* cool beans.

P.s. I doubt I'll actually be there in May.

I'm sorry.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

12 days from terminal :feelsgood:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I heard the reserves are not taking people (specifically SWO officers) until the next fiscal year. Is that true? My friend who is getting out at the same time as me asked about going to SELRES and they said they're out of spots and he's gonna have to wait or if he really wants to be in it then drill without pay. He said "lol kthx."

Seems like funding is an actual issue in the reserves.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Started terminal leave yesterday.

Doesn't feel any different than regular leave but then I realize I will never go underway again. Still not registering yet.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Want to but want to keep options open later for lifestyle poly. :/

I have no desire to look for a job and don't want to go to school full time. Feeling pretty burnt out. Going traveling in Asia for about two months, I figure after two months of loving off and spending money I will get my motivation back.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Sir Lucius posted:

What was your rate? You could possibly make fat stacks of contract cash.

Noble SWO.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

Some certified mail came from the NOSC today, but no one was home to sign!

I'll go grab it tomorrow but I'm going to assume my IRR chit got approved and it's my discharge stuff.

Feels good bro.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

vulturesrow posted:

Staff duty.

Strike group staff? I used to be the air defense LNO. Csg staff blows. At least as LNO I didn't have to deal with most of the bs.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Lazy sailors can't find someone hiding properly, they need to learn to field day better. If a person can be undisturbed for days what do you think DUST and OIL are doing?

:chiefsay:

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

I've stood a lot of OOD in Sagami Wan. Part of the challenge is increased background lighting and merchants who get there early loitering while waiting for their pilot time. Weather can also be bad, especially during the rainy season which is now.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Been out for over a month now and it's been good. Starting grad school in the fall.

Feels weird not having my paycheck but other than that it's not an ad transition. If any of you mil goons are going to UVA let me know. I want to be involved in the veterans organization.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

I dropped it mainly because as a federal employee I'm not eligible for tricare, and the two negatives you listed were painfully true.

That being said if I was a SWO abs eligible for tricare I probably would have stuck with it. I guess.

Just got out in June. Didn't sign up for Reserves. No regrets.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

You gotta get into lovely dumb rates like BM, CS, PS, or any seabee to see 12 year E4s. The real crazy part is not going to mast that whole time.

Not only are you a retard that never got promoted but you were so stupid that you never broke the rules either. smh

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

Hey guys I'm in grad school now. I wake up at whenever I want everyday as my classes are in the afternoon. Walking into campus everyday is a blessing because even if something sucks I still get to stare at co-eds.

Going to grad school for free is insane. In fact I'm getting paid to go to school. Always thought the GI Bill was a good deal but when you see the paycheck for your BAH in your bank account and you had to pay $0 to attend to a world class research institution, it's a great feeling. Thank you Uncle Sam!

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

Hopefully your college is more social than mine, and I hope you learn something.

What was your experience?

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

M_Gargantua posted:

State college that is about as effective as an engineering degree mill, lots of entitled kids who give no fucks but get passed through with 2.8 or lower GPAs, no social life on campus and no one who commits to interesting clubs. Pretty much I learned how to do Calculus better and then added some of that math to electrical stuff I had already learned far more effectively as a Nuke.

drat that sucks bro. My master's program is a typical cash cow for the school to support their research and PhD students but the classes are no joke.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

So CTF 70 and DESRON 15 got fired and CNSP requested to retire a few months earlier then planned.

Gotta say, I saw the DESRON firing coming but the CTF 70 one surprised me.

This makes me so happy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

ManMythLegend posted:

CPA moboards are almost entirely worthless and mostly serve as a massive distraction, especially the bridge. They're good tools to teach people how relative motion works in controlled situations but loving lol if you think they're going to help avoid collisions in crowded areas and not just be another distraction for the watchteam.

I disagree.

CPA moboards are essential but the caveat is that you need competent officers on the bridge that know how to do them quickly and accurately. They can be a distraction if the OOD isn't delegating it to the JOOD or another officer (not the CONN). Properly done moboards can cut through the extra noise that you get on various radar returns and inaccurate auto tracks on radar. Combat should also be doing moboards to back up the bridge.

At the end of the it's a combination of all resources to make good safe decisions. Moboards are definitely one of them.