Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

2017 gonna be my last year, terminal starting early november, gently caress me for still being in, FTN

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Out and done :toot: as long as we don't go to war with Iran and they suddenly really, really need more farsi linguists back.

Never using farsi again except for with hot persian chicks.

Edit: oh and fuckin lol nuke guy. Reading this thread saved me from that poo poo seven years back.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

As a CTI I ended up being stationed with two of the guys in my boot camp div for my entire 6 year contract. Likely? gently caress no. But you'll hang on to or build a base of support where you can.

Keep your head down, don't volunteer for poo poo, don't say anything. The late-night standup poo poo where a bunch of guys try to soliloquize about what the division needs to do to improve after the RDCs shouted about how bad you are? Ignore em and sleep.

Once again, super don't volunteer for anything, especially early on. It only makes you a target for later grief. Getting on ship staff after week 4 or 5 is fairly chill though. I used it as an excuse to return to the compartment late a bunch of times to avoid division bullshit.

Quick edit: Really the whole thing is about makin you feel afraid of stuff. It's all a load of crap. Eat, sleep, walk around, follow simple instructions, and you'll look back on it as some of the easiest time in. It'll drag a bit more than usual since you're there during holidays, which kinda sucks, but you'll have some easier holiday routine to make up for it.

Black Balloon fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Dec 13, 2017

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Throat-punch anyone who brags about their ASVAB

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Just got out of mast. Suspended bust, extra duty, half months pay x2 which my wife will take out of my rear end. Best case scenario, is what everyone is telling me. :confuoot:

Yeah you got off way easier than I figured you would.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

The Valley Stared posted:

First hearing in the Fitz case was today. Stars and Stripes seems to have the most in-depth coverage of what happened.

I won't post my personal opinions on it. I'm mostly focusing on my grad school work and looking at stuff for my hobby.

I'm not really angry about what happened anymore, but there's still a lot of guilt. I'm taking care of myself. I've seen professionals and will keep doing so. There's been more of a focus lately on reaching out to the McCain and Fitz sailors to make sure we're doing alright, and while it's not perfect, it's better then big Navy just trying to forget that we exist.

Mr. Bad Guy? Keep your head straight for the next 6 months. People look up to you. Not trying to rub more salt in the wound, but gently caress man.

All politics aside, you are, and I say this with all seriousness, a hero.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

KetTarma posted:

Why are my stories the ones you picked :(

Am I broken

No. Your job sure is though.

And for what it's worth, your stories kept me from going nuke. I had a lucrative, if still pretty miserable, 6 year term as a linguist instead.