Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

ded posted:

my solution was to overwrite things. i could change the permission to allow files to be written to, but not deleted. so i took a file that was 4k in size from outside of /root and overwrote it. i had to do this over and over. every time the system crashed it put a dump file in there that filled the hard drive (this is 1997 and they were mb in size not gb) and made the whole thing no longer work.

it took me about 2 days of screwing around to figure this out because i had zero experience with unix, but i had used a lot of dos 3.3-6.0 so cli was familiar

The original OBTTMC on VA would poo poo itself like clockwork every few hours because processes constantly crashed and dumped corefiles that the system never cleaned up. I was the only one who knew how to get the thing running again and I sure as poo poo wasn't going to tell anyone else how easy it was.

I got out of so much training, so many drills, and so many fast cruises just so I could sit up there and keep the thing running. (On the downside, it did mean getting in early as balls on the days training was planned.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011
Haha, at the time of commissioning I think it ran on this really lovely HP744 SBC running HP-UX. I had a few years of experience in development for UNIX so I knew my way around and that's effectively how I ended up in charge of it. It was a piece of garbage... but it could get on the ship's LAN and send and receive SailorMail which was nice as the OBTTMC "maintainer." Didn't have to wait for an available laptop or anything.

(I'm honestly not sure if it was *supposed* to be able to access the ship's LAN but I don't think the IT Div dipshits knew anything more than how to reset passwords.)

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Elviscat posted:

From the drunken stories I heard in the Senior Rates Mess in Faslane, they love to pull into Kings Bay, take leave, and fly to Vegas or Disney.

The most miserable RN sailors I met were on an old Trafalgar class that was in refit in Plymouth.

Astute sailors loved the Virginia class because it's "stealth as fook"

I toured two different V-boats on two different trips to PCAN. Both times, probably 1/5 to 1/4 of the crew was restricted to the boat for missing ship's movement. Getting drunk and going home with American girls is their favorite pastime, and it doesn't sound like the boat puts forth much effort in rounding them up when it's time to leave. (They fully well know these guys have no choice but to return to the boat, given they're stranded in a foreign country.)

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Nick Soapdish posted:

It took at least 5 years into my Navy service for friends and family to stop asking if I was excited for the Army Navy game. Why would I give a poo poo about the future terrible junior officers? Plus, I already had an alma mater to root for with Purdue

Yeah, I served on submarines and still work on them and last year people kept sending me links to their "submarine-themed" uniforms from the game. I could not give less of a poo poo.

(Not to mention it just looked like an Under Armour ad.)

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I'm sorry :(

Haha, fortunately I only work on sonar and not for the shipyard or any of the maintenance activities. I don't think I could handle that.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

i assume crab dad's IT remit is actually wider at this point but i am amused at the notion of the navy keeping people on graveyard shift in case of an urgent wee hour of the morning emergency need to print something

I've gotten phone calls in the middle of the night from IMA who had a boat up on chat that was chilling out bobbing on the surface. Our loving customer support center who is supposed to handle this poo poo just tapped out and gave them my personal phone number. It happens.

I was kinda pissed, but we got it taken care of.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Flyinglemur posted:

I was standing quarterdeck watch at building 518 in Groton while on shore duty. I was a second class and the evening shift was basically just sitting there trying to stay awake. Like most watches.

I got relieved and went home, came back the next morning to find some chief on the quarterdeck screaming at me about not standing a proper watch. My chief was just coming out of the elevator so he grabbed me and took me to his office to let me know what was up.

Apparently some debt collectors called his house the night before while I was on watch. When the chief asked how they got his number, the collectors said they called his work. I absolutely had access to the home numbers of the chiefs stationed there as staff and I 100% never got a phone call or gave out that number.

I said something along the lines of "so debt collectors finally got a hold of Chief Bagadonuts but somehow I'm the problem here?" My chief said that was also being looked into.

He lost his clearance not long after that. All he had to do was not stand outside the Commander's office screaming about STS2 Flyinglemur and no one would have known

Well, that and pay his loving bills on time

I don't believe in ghosts one bit, but if they exist they definitely live in the schoolhouses at SUBASENLON.

Those roving midwatches just gave me the creeps.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

ded posted:

being in debt that you cant pay off on time is a red flag for a clearance

It's honestly crazy to let it get that far, too. I've seen a lot of people go through it. I even went through the adjudication process myself when first issued a clearance (but that was primarily because of a bunch of erroneous poo poo on my credit report.) If you're working things out with your creditors and setting up payment plans etc, you'll usually come out alright as long as you stay on top of it.

If you ghost your creditors to the point that they're going to collections and then you're ghosting *them*... then yeah you're gonna have a problem.

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

Holy poo poo he got a comm in the end. Everyone is going to want to know how a loving E-5 got a comm.

"Holy poo poo, a COM? What the gently caress, did you walk into a burning building and rescue people or some poo poo like that?!?"

"Yeah."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anathematic
Jan 1, 2011

SquirrelyPSU posted:

I used to keep eyes on the selection lists every cycle just to catch a glimpse what people were up to. We have now gotten to the point where almost everyone I knew are at 20 or very close to.

There is one person I want to see make Master Chief. Hopefully she made CWO4 and I just missed the memo.

Yeah, I got out after one hitch and went to work for the vendor.

A few years ago one of the guys I went to A-school with came through our lab for training... as a chief.

One of those sobering "gently caress, I'm old" moments.