Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

:laffo:

Trading torpedoes for booze would be bad, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Godholio posted:

But also completely unsurprising.

Oh for sure.

One of my old friends who sailed on KNM Stavanger before she was decommissioned told me a story about shipping contraband home from Scotland once after a big NATO exercise.

As soon as the Captain and senior officers went off to the HQ for debrief, a lorry full of booze and tobacco arrived at the boat. The entire crew worked for most of the day stuffing booze and cigs where it would fit and not get noticed by the senior officers before they got back to Bergen.

The lorry drove off 10 minutes before the old man and senior officers came back to the boat, and if they noticed the crew standing around all tired and smug, they didn't comment on it :v:

They had to fess up a few months later when the mess master commented that they never seemed to run out of cheap beer and liquor, though :sun:

Back when I was in, we used to get the bonded stores delivered to a shipping container on the base for "temporary storage before loading", where it got locked in, then we bought the same quota at the first foreign port we got to. I think they started to clamp down on that after a while, though...

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Deadmeat5150 posted:

I've yet to meet an officer who knew what they were doing. :v:

Well except for one. The second CO of the Howard. He handed us his battle orders written by hand on a legal pad and knew everything that went on in CIC and even knew how to plot, track, and read radar metadata. Went on to be the Nuke-O on the Stennis. Think he's a vice admiral now. Fucker was brilliant.

Edit: Rear admiral, turns out. And retired now after being EUCOM for a few years. Pat Piercy.

He was nuts for Halo too. Had Combat System run lines from his stateroom to CSC and the mess deck so we could all play against him.

Congrats, you've met a unicorn :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Reading up on this thread makes me happy I only spent 4 years in, and that in a backwater NATO ( :norway: ) Navy :v:

Conscript year mostly spent "chasing dem terrorists" in the Mediterranean in 2005 in a 40 year old tincan built on WW2 plans, then another 3 years on the first of the new AEGIS frigates (including outfitting in Spain, then CSSQT 2007 - gently caress all about Spain, but going to the US before the crazy years was okay), and as a final "oh thank gently caress" - my contract ending a few months before we got deployed to Somalia :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

But did you have a soft serve machine or beer bar?

No soft serve machine, but both messes had wet bars. Roughly $1 for a beer, $20 for a liter of booze or a case of beer. In port only, of course, we ran a white ship otherwise.

We had some legendary parties in the enlisted's mess during my time aboard. I even remember parts of some of them :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

I spent my :norway: conscript year on a frigate built in the 1960s. The berthing areas were cramped (bunks stacked 3 high), the AC sucked when we were in the Mediterranean, but otherwise it was okay. Cleanliness standards were so high you could eat off the deck. How the gently caress do you guys manage to make it so much worse?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

That poo poo is nuts. Don't you guys run some sort of extra-stupid watch schedule as well?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

You know its bad when even the army thinks your setup is stupid.

If you're already running 5-10, what's so hard about going to 4-8?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

MonkeyFit posted:

4-8 would suck. 8-16 is way better.

Not really - 8 hours on watch is a long-rear end time, especially overnight. 4-8 lets you run a reasonably stable circadian rhythm, without running into on-watch fatigue issues. It also leaves you with one off-watch for sleep and one off-watch for ship's work, exercise etc.

In the :norway: Navy, navigation and engineering ran 4-8, while radio and CIC typically ran 6-12, switching to 6-6 when operational tempo dictated that we needed to, or 6-18 on the long transit watches where the CIC was more or less shut down.
I switched between navigation and CIC/sonar watches, and some of my best memories from sailing was when I stood navigation watches during an Atlantic crossing. It's something special to be out in the middle of the ocean with no other vessels nearby, especially at night.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Lol well just gently caress me running. I got my last paycheck from my terminal leave.

I owe $700 dollars.

The reviewed my pay status and noticed my orders for my extension ended May 1rst but due to ECRC bullshit I didn’t get home until June. So they took back all my pay for from May 1rst to July 22 the last day of my terminal leave.

How the gently caress do they not look at orders? I mean my loving DD214 says when my last day is too.

Really looking forward to this call.

So do you actually owe the gub'mint $700 or nah?

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

12 and 12 on bridge watch is a bad idea. Bridge watch is boring as gently caress. Until it suddenly isn’t.

Can confirm. 4 hours is fine, 6 is stretching it.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

At least you guys didn't get 20% of your destroyers sunk in one night like some European shitbirds managed to do :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dorstein posted:

Merchant Marine credentials seems huge. I never hear about SWOs getting out to drive ships and it seems like something of a societal waste.

Actual good change?

Wait, your SWO's dont sit for the NMC deck officer exams?

Any SWO track graduates from the :norway: Naval War College also sit for the Norwegian equivalent of the NMC ONC01 (Master/Chief Mate Unlimited Tonnage) license exams as part of their education, but I guess the :patriot: Navy had a better idea :downs:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Lets not forget that we're talking about the US Navy, the same group of chucklefucks who haven't figured out how to run a reasonable watch schedule on their overmanned boats even in the year of our lord 2021.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah that was a clear gaffe on my part, should teach me how not to post when I should be sleeping.

My first impression looking at that GAO report is that you're trying to run more boats than you can afford to, and it's a wonder you haven't lost entire ships in the process of trying to do so.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Dorstein posted:

Everyone knows the best episode of Battlestar Galactica is 33.

Everyone except Navy watchbill planners.

Oh man, that episode.

BSG had some real gems :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

krispykremessuck posted:

Anyway the most eye opening thing about working for the navy is how much worse every aspect of every thing is than the CG and to really absurd degrees despite basically all the money in the world being available to fix it, the wardroom will still trip on its dick to gently caress it up

So basically anyone that ever has some feeling of regret about joining the USN: you were/are completely correct, and it gets worse the deeper into civil service you get if you stray from a warfare center or Washington Navy Yard. Maybe less true for weird places like SRF or the rare person who scores a 5 year in Sasebo.

Preaching to the choir, buddy :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

krispykremessuck posted:

I know but it was a real eye opener, particularly when it comes to financial stuff and, hilariously, anything logistics.

The CG does the work while the Navy fucks around. Just the way it is :smith:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

and suddenly I understand why you love shooting blues so much

:hmmyes:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Another car to try are the CX-30 and CX-5 with the turbo. Mazda's still using a classic six-speed automatic.

Going (more) off-topic here, but the Mazda Skyactiv automatics are great. They almost completely nixed the slushbox feel, and it's like driving a manual most of the time, you just don't have a clutch pedal to worry about.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

ded posted:

He could be right. It could be a mountain of shipping containers.

:perfect:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

A.o.D. posted:

Search results for "8 hours of sleep in a 24 hour period": Not Found

Temper your expectations, make do with 5.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

"sure, I'll be happy to, as long as I get that order in writing, signed by you, that you want me to break STCW"

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Piracy? Have they updated the old laws yet, or can you still string pirates up on site? :P

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

piL posted:

To be fair, every single service member swears an oath to protect and defend her.

:downsrim:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

You'd have to be crazy to volunteer for USS shipboard life. gently caress that poo poo.

This. So much this.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

You think they'll crack down hard on personal cell phones on ships and installations now?

lol no

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

It’ll always boggle my mind that the navy doesn’t have separate streams for engineering and deck officers.

And I say this as a guy who went through merchant marine deck officer school fully cognizant of how much loving harder the engineering coursework was. Thermodynamics? Yeah cool I’ll be over there doing spherical trig.

The Navy seems hellbent on doing things the hard, inconvenient and personnel-hostile way :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

At least y'all are getting some decent frigates soon, right? :haw:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Evil SpongeBob posted:

Document everything for your eventual va claim.

Not emptyquoting :v:

Also gently caress the Navy.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Real navy sounds like it sucks.

:emptyquote:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

As long as you don't pick a fight with the Royal Marines, it's all good :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Captain of my first boat nearly went over the side in Malaga while crossing the gang plank after a particularly heavy night of drinking :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

Sounds like a goddamn good CO.

I'd sail with that CO.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Further evidence that Crab Dad must have infinite karma from a previous life :v:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

SOP for us (Royal Norwegian Navy) was to keep temps pretty low in the CIC.

God knows it feels hot enough anyway when you're sitting there working in full flash gear during general quarters though.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Elviscat posted:

I can confirm that running all available air conditioning plants in 80⁰F seawater, while they just constantly surge and try to turn themselves off is not a great time.

At least I never had to be in a CVNs engine room while they steam through water like that, no AC, hot as hell water, and a steam plant? No thanks.

Pre-upgrade, our cooling plants ran at 115% capacity while sailing HNoMS Fridtjof Nansen through the Caribbean in 80-90F water. As far as I recall we didn't have any outright failures, but it was a brand new boat after all :v:

We had a really, really lovely time in the Med with an older frigate back in '05 though. They struggled to get the AC working AT ALL in the berthing areas when it started to get hot and it was 80+F for a few days. That loving sucked. That old boat had a steam plant, too, and the boys in the engine room did not enjoy themselves too much.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

orange juche posted:

From the time we entered the Med all the way until we exited back out to the Atlantic at the end of our cruise, the chillers on CVN-65 could not keep up with the heat load from the water, and were regularly out of service or weak.

gently caress, that sucks.

Heh, our evaporator died like a day into the Med. That's highly problematic on a boat with a steam plant. Only the cooks were allowed to shower daily, and we were drinking bottled water until we got to Malaga.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Crab Dad posted:

FML I just got an offer to mobilize to Germany that may be too good to pass up.
Arrrrrgh.

Lets get drunk in Berlin :sun:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Ugh my ship is such a loving joke. I come in this morning to find:

On every quick-acting water-tight door on the main deck.

This is where we're at. Something everybody already knows, that some people are just too loving lazy to do, and instead of just having the LPOs or whomever put it out at quarters, we hang signs like we're in loving kindergarten. So loving stupid.

What the actual gently caress.

This screams amateur Navy.