Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
For reals, talk to someone if you're feeling lovely. I'm so glad I did when I was feeling that way, turns out I was one trigger from a mental break. Got some damned good advice on avoiding the poo poo that tripped my brain up, and I'm far better today than I was in 2009/2010. There's still days, but that poo poo is always going to haunt you.

As for the Transgender training, the reservists were typical peckerheads about the dumb poo poo questions, but for the most part many accepted it as "What the gently caress ever, I don't care." Which is pretty much my attitude: Do your job, I don't give a poo poo what you do or who you do in your off time. I just want to get the gently caress outta work ASAP because I'm a total loving lib-hound.

Leaving Sunday for Gulfport. Looking forward to acting like a retard who's never handled an M4 and shooting guns and poo poo for 6 weeks. Really though I'm so loving ready to get to my command. Given the option I'd totally skip ECS and just drive to Florida.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Putting up with civilians also really irritates you in the office sometimes because you're used to getting poo poo done (your poo poo that affects your lib) quickly.

But it's got its highs and lows. Cubicle farms suck. Get a field job. Travel lots. Get paid. I loved every minute I was a contractor, but there was always the terror of waking up to no job. Which is exactly what happened when we lost our contract.

In other news, ECS is much fun. Nose Hoses (nasopharengeal airways (sp)) are not. Those suck. I'd rather get an IV from a drunk 80 year old with Parkinsons.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Go to a small enough mission oriented command and you don't do that bullshit anyway.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
In other news, gently caress the GTC. Why do we even need this poo poo. Why isn't it like the old days of "Here's your orders, flight itinerary, and hotel info. Be there." This isn't a cost saving measure and it sure as gently caress doesn't make poo poo easier.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
DTS is fine by me, it's the fact I'm required to get a GTC to go to a school required for my billet. Like, what the gently caress? Just pay for the poo poo and send me. I don't understand why there needs to be an interest earning account tied to this costing the military more for the sake of accountability or whatever bullshit excuse they want to use.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Gotta rant.

So when did the Navy completely bury its collective head up it's rear end? Or is this a command thing? Checked in 01Mar, was told barracks would have space for my e5 rear end.1 hour out, guess what I need to stay at the Navy Lodge and be reimbursed. Ok. Rush house hunting leave so I'm not destroying my budget paying for the Lodge. Now my move isn't scheduled and my wife is in last command waiting to pack out. But I'm supposed to go to VA for a school I don't actually need on the 2nd. Except I'm not going to school/am going to school back and forth for the last week.

Long story shortened, holy poo poo what a clusterfuck. Seriously, guess I'll learn to last minute rush everything because that seems to be the command loving motto.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Oh I have full faith you will be, at least for a while. But learn from those missteps and you'll be cool. Also, congrats.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Turn on a news channel and be bombarded by what happened. But the tl,dr is we put 50 tomahawks onto the airbase that launched the planes that dropped the chemical weapons. It's being reported that there were actual Russian military on that base for reasons. But I don't know if that's true. Strike went down when the base was mostly empty. Only 6 dead last I heard.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

ManMythLegend posted:

Close to Mayport:
Singleton's: A hole in the wall seafood shack. Great fried seafood and a lunch time staple for the Mayport Mafia. It's out the back gate of the base behind the airfield.

North Beach Fish Camp: Southern inspired seafood. Make sure you try their fried green tomatoes.

M Shack: Amazing burgers and shakes. There are a few locations but the original is near Mayport on Atlantic BLVD. Some locations sell liquor infused milk shakes.

Beach Diner: Great diner for breakfast, especially if you're heading to the beach in the morning.

A little further:
Soul Food Bistro: Soul food, I don't think I need to say anything else. Don't go in the time after church services.

Beach Road Chicken Dinner: One of my favorite places. Specializes in fried chicken and serves southern sides, family style. Make sure you go with other people. It's a lot of food.

Into Jacksonville proper:
Lola's: Go here. Order the Leaping Lizard burrito. You're welcome.

Hawker's: Souped up Vietnamese street food. It's really good, but maybe a touch pricy.

Dude thanks, we just moved here and actually live near Lolas, I haven't tried it yet. Good to know some good spots.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

ManMythLegend posted:

That's a nice area. There are a few nice bars near Lola's as well.

Figure out when the next free weekend at the Cummer Art Museum is and eat a burrito, visit the museum gardens, and stop by the Riverside art walk.

Also, make sure you check the schedule for Sun Ray Cinema. It's an independent theater in Five Points that sells food and beer for their shows. They generally run cool events around holidays.

Yeah, we hit kickbacks every other weekend or so. St Patrick's day was insane there. We also made a point to have brunch every weekend at Cool Moose because that is legit good food. And 2 for 1 mimosas all weekend. It's worth the extra drive since I'm actually in Mayport, but all the neighborhoods around Mayport seem sketchy as gently caress.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

squarerandom posted:

:(

Care to elaborate?

LPDs are notoriously poorly built. Over worked crew. Maybe 26 is better. But 17 - 21 was hosed from the get go.

Sorry about sums it. What rate/rank?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

DinosaurWarfare posted:

This is the first time I've heard this about LPD's. All the DDG Sailors I knew (BM's, IT's) couldn't stop telling me about how much better the LPD was and how they wanted to go back.

The LPDs when I was on 18 were reason for a large part of sailors separating. It may have gotten better since.

Also, thanks a million to ManMythLegend for his Lola's recommendation. This place is amazing. Didn't feel adventurous enough for the leaping lizard but yeah shits good.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Here in VA at Little Creek for the most of May for school. Anything I should definitely see or do for my first time in the VA?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Boon posted:

Norfolk in the summer is actually pretty sweet. That memorial park babyeatingpyschopath mentioned has a lot of summer events and concerts.

There's also some delicious food to be found in the area:
- Route 58, go get yourself an amazing reuben (bring a friend)
- Wine/Cheese shop in Williamsburg (Get a bottle of wine, a sandwich, and some delicious bread ends with some soup)
- Gastropub (go on Trivia night, get there a litte early), AW Shucks beforehand for some seafood dinner
- Hair of the Dog (for brunch)
- Go find a craft beer festival or just do a craft beer tour - Tidewater has a BUNCH of craft breweries

There's more. I hated Virginia, but I really like Norfolk, it's a really underrated city (all the surrounding cities can go gently caress themselves)

Sweet. I'm at Group doing what has to be the biggest waste of time and money ever for my unit regarding schools, just to get my crew serve quals. But honestly, I never wanted to be stationed in VA, but I kinda dig the area and I could potentially go NSW support here next. I'll need some good eats to destress from the dumb as gently caress MAs finally feeling like their rate isn't redundant, because hey guys lets spend another hour and a half going over what we spent 8 hours going over in the class. After hours.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hooray, I made first. Rip my work hours now that I'll get to enjoy cpo365. :woop:

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

orange juche posted:

Enjoy wasting 2 hours every other day at CPO 365 and having to do more work as well, leading to you going home at 7pm or later most days even on shore duty.

Perk of not being fleet, and being at a CRS HVA unit: We don't do that poo poo.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Commoners posted:

Oh man are you at CRS1? That place has had so many goons pass through it.

CRS10 out of Mayport I should add.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 17:19 on May 24, 2017

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
The type 3s or whatever the green ones are are great. But laffo at any gray boat nerds who have to wear black boots with them.

Tan Goretex boots are godly. And I really like the lighter material of the new uniforms. And the Frog shirts for under body armor. And Velcro pockets and no sewing damned crows backwards. (loving exchange)

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

That really blows. My condolences.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Nick Soapdish posted:

Same here. We're all dumb!

I'm so dumb I went back active (but FTS) so I'm extra dumb!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

So that means you're like an EN2 or something doing YN work?

Actually got lucky. ET2 doing MA, BM, EN, GM, and ET work. And I'm my own LS, YN, and PS. Riverines are great!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

Dude good job doing what you did to help save that ship. No loving joke. You got jolted awake to a DCA's worst loving nightmare and saved the ship.

I feel for you and all your guys. I wouldn't want anyone to have to go through that poo poo.

Pretty much this. And what other goons have said. You guys (and girls) are going through hell, hope everyone's all right in the long run.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I'm sorry TVS. Just know that you guys are on our minds.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Goddamn you guys make O life sound awful. But I'm still pushing the LDO button in 2019 in hopes of picking up.

As LDO I know I'll never be able to command, so what does the career track look like?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Probably Info systems or Administrative. Security is an option too though as I'm doing the MSRON/CRS thing now.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

LordNad posted:

You've got the biggest dick there is.

You helped save the ship and our shipmates.

Thank you for making sure that the training was priority and standards were outstanding.

These guys all said it but it's the absolute truth. Thanks and fine job. Honestly I can only hope 2 things from this, to first never be in this nightmare. And secondly I hope I can be a good leader like several of you Goons here.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
John S. McCain just had a collision pulling in to Singapore.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
God dammit.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy gently caress I'm trapped in the land of retards. Never, ever in my life have I seen such incompetent and unapproachable leaders. Why the gently caress did I come back.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
AECF was a 6 year for me. ET here too. Don't do nuke. If you like liberty or daylight you'll never see either. If you like darkness and basements and furries go nuke.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Also if you go ET, your life will be this video on loop. Probably applies to a bunch of other jobs too:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtRNg5uSKQ0

Jesus that's accurate.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I finished Tech core at self-paced NIDA bullshit. I took my sweet rear end time and 19 weeks. At the end of it, they sat us all in a classroom and the ETs came and gave a speel the the FCs showed a video of the CIWS with no locking bar lighting up a beach of some deserted island and accidentally blowing up a water buffalo thing. Half the class chose FC then and there. This was 2003 thats how I became an ET

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Brings back memories from AECF tech core back in 2003. We had a guy who was really into furry fandom, got caught wearing a tail under his utilities, etc.

Maybe he was just born 15 years too early.

Pretty sure we were at A school and all together. That dick bag was in my duty section. He got mids for a long assed time after.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

We must have been in the same duty section, because once on midnight watch I made the mistake of being bored enough to ask him how his flying cat fursona got the power of time and space. Short answer: He got them from the time god.

Laffo, God bless you. I was there 02-03, so it's possible we are talking about two entirely different yet somehow the same creepy furries. I was the section leader during those days, what a poo poo job.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Any nerds have NAVADMINS regarding NECC commands and the new uniforms? We're trying to get in black and white a defense for not having to replace the tan fleece we're all issued/wearing. Otherwise, we all get to fall in line and that will suck nuts because no more frog shirts on mission and all will suck.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Sort of. Tan fleece isn't authorized for anything but OCONUS wear anymore as of 01 October turns out. Same for Frog shirts and booney caps.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

So you gotta wear dark blue tee shirts with the guacamole? Or do you mean something else by frogskin?

Nah, be the Navadmin we just would be allowed to wear Frog shirts under our armor like we have been for years. We'd have to stay in the type 3 blouse.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Freedom and Indies are cool in the sense that when they work, man they go fast. They're up there with small boats.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I know I've hit at least 42 on glassy sea states out here on our 25 footers. But those are small, light as hell, and grossly overpowered. And theres talk of engine upgrades. That'll be legit fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo, hello VA comp for that.