Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh god phase 1....

Just buy a playstation and veg out in your room until that pain goes by.

Quoting this. Don't go to hotel parties. Don't kill hookers. Downtown is alright, but I much preferred Point Loma and Old Town for going out. Adalbertos or Adelbertos (I forget the spelling) on Rosecrans. Get the Carne Asada Fries and a Cali burrito with everything. Thank me later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

maffew buildings posted:

Well my battalion triad got relieved today. Seabees, I guess

Why the gently caress was your XO wandering naked in the woods? Navy Times published the article if that was your unit (dunno of many other seabee unit triads nuked recently).

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Godholio posted:

How were they trying to cover it up? Seems like unless something significant happened, handling at the unit level would be appropriate.

Pretty much this. Seems they hosed up handling it locally if it got out to bug Navy like this. Still funny as gently caress, they having a wet down or something? Also enjoy another alcohol ban, safety stand down, and potential tighter liberty restrictions again. Never change, Okinawa commands.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Way I understand it is HYT is 22,but retirement is 20 still.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
gently caress top bunk. Go to LPD, get Midrack, have situ racks anyway and easy in/out access

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hah if you think reserve Seabees do anything much less right.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Grew up in the P3 community, I'd love to get to be an NFO on either platform. How hard was the process?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Well I'm up for the LDO test in January, might as well try for NFO until. Thanks. Where'd you go to ground school? Murderidian, MS or Boring, TX?

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo. That's like an entire pack of smokes in a drag.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I read that out loud to my guys and they were all staring in horror. Most of the vapers at my command puff on some 3 mil poo poo that smells like uniform farts or strawberry lemonade.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Enjoy taping walls!

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Seconding Point Loma. Lived there for 3 years and change, and there's no way I'd live anywhere else if I got stationed back there. 15 minute right turn onto 32nd Street commute was a godsend some days when I was late. I had a roommate, but (this was in 2009 to 2012) our combined rent and utilities was less than my E5 Bah.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I live in Murray Hill right beside 17/Roosevelt Blvd. AMA.

But seriously it pretty much got answered. Riverside, Avondale, and even a good chunk of Murray Hill (currently going through a regentrification) is legit. If you don't mind the commute north of the beltway can be good too.

Feel free to PM me Jimmy.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Hahahahahahah my LDO test chit just got denied. But I was told it wasn't personal.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
My SEL. Never even made it to OIC.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Thanks. I doubt it'll change anything, she pretty much rides whatever he says. So I have the feeling it came from him. Probably going to 1306 out of here. This place is actively detrimental to my career.

Edit to say their reasoning was "I'm not ready." I'll be the first to admit I'm far from the perfect sailor, but I've A. Filled an 04 billet (as an E5) with weapons drop authority in Afghanistan. And B. Been a high ranked MP as my lowest eval, until this command. So clearly I'm the loving problem.

Thronde fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Jul 2, 2018

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Mr. Nice! posted:

If you're qualified to take the test (time in grade/etc) then there's no good reason to deny you. You "not being ready" is loving stupid and it's not for her to determine. If you're not ready, let the LDO board say so. She has no loving clue if you're ready to be an officer because she's a loving chief. I would make sure you look up the relevant navy and command instructions regarding early chief tests for board eligibility and command special request chits, but gently caress that poo poo the chief isn't the person to tell you no here.

Yep, doing just that. Thanks though. I mostly just had to vent and have a laugh about it. The loving absurdity of it was just another keynote of this command. My LDO letter would read how after this command I could overcome any hostile environment or amount of stress.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah so upon the initial rage fading, turns out my OIC bottom lined it, so I'll be requesting mast and taking it to our CO.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Hahahahahahah ahahahah gently caress the Navy.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

SUN'S
OUT
GUNS
OUT
DISA-
SSEM-
BLED
WHILE
ON
WATCH

As much as it makes me an rear end in a top hat, I laughed.

Thanks for linking the relevant NAVADMINS though, that'll be handy. I also have a meeting Friday with our CMEO staffers to discuss this because seriously, poo poo feels like I can't do anything to make this jackass happy. And now they're actively sabotaging my career.

I've also been advised to request Captains Mast. That will probably happen. I've overheard said jackass saying that if I want to see the old man the counseling chits come out. I freely admit I hosed up and said some dumb poo poo, got fired from a (meaningless) lpo position temporarily, and am working to redeem myself regarding said gently caress up. I'm not too worried about the chit because I'm not afraid to own up to my mistakes and take my beatings as I deserve. But it doesn't surprise me he'd say/do some petty poo poo like that. Never mind that the chit is now 3 or 4 months old and I'm living daily with the consequences of my dumbass choice of words.

It still drives me nuts that LCPO/SEL had the audacity to say "Now don't take this personally..."

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

piL posted:

2 signatures and the CO--where's LPO, LCPO, DLCPO, CCC, DIVO, DH and/or XO/CSO? What rank is your CO?

Genuine questions, I don't really know your situation.

Small Det unit, OIC, SEL, LCPO/LPO in one. LCPO approved, chief and OIC feel I'm "not ready" to take the test.

I'm working the issue, I have the option to request mast over this and I'm obviously considering it. The one counseling I've had because I screwed up will come out. I'll (again) own up to it as I have in the past. But I fail to see how I'm not ready to take a loving advancement exam.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Stultus Maximus posted:

Or average considering it's a CRS.

Pretty much. Our LCPO is E6. SEL is a first year BMC (I have more time as a first), Oic is LCDR. We have a CO once a month (loving reserves over active. Really?) and he's a full bird.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah it's infuriating, but honestly I haven't played the game long enough is what I figure. So I'm shifting gears and focusing on getting the rest of my poo poo in order.

Extra funny is the fact that my "not being ready" most likely stems from the fact I've made it no secret I have 0 desire to get Coxswain or Patrol Lead qualled here. Because this command has a history of sending PLs and Coxswains up for poo poo that was beyond their control.

But cool. 18 months and I'm outta here. So for now I'll focus on getting my pins, quals, and schooling.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Knees shot, back shot, shoulders are turbo hosed, migraines and sinus issues out the rear end, hearing loss, high blood pressure, and probably the worst/grossest, Random abscesses that come and go painfully on my legs from Afghanistan.

Oh and exposure to asbestos, AFFF, a potentially bad Anthrax shot series, and whatever the gently caress I breathed in Afghanistan (57% fecal matter in the air there, Mmm refreshing). Oh and a couple shocks and 2 second degree sunburns now and counting. I'm halfway through 20.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Yeah, after my IA tour, I know the grass isn't greener on that side. Like we thought we do dumb poo poo in home port . Holy hell.

Like, as much as the chit stuff pissed me off, I actually looked inward and am pushing forward while improving myself. I love my job and what I do, it's just the absolutely toxic leadership here.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
We had that problem with the Mayport barracks too for one of my junior sailors. Shifting the entire command and getting the skipper involved was the only way to get her BAH restarted

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Laranzu posted:

Yeah wait until you see where you are going.

All the official authorized shipboard boots are steel toe and therefore heavy.

All the authorized boots are differing degrees of awful really.

On that note I liked the Belleville Sabre 533 coyote brown the most. Non steel toe because I'm a dirty shore sailor.

Adding to this, Rocky makes some great boots

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I might be biased based on getting them free as organizational clothing

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

maffew buildings posted:

And one of my friends in the command got killed in a motorcycle accident last night. Don't ride motorcycles, kids

Seriously, that blows and I'm sorry. Motorcycles scare the poo poo out of me, and we're in a risky enough small team unit as is, thankfully Noone (but the OIC) rides.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
My entire unit is up here for the VA shorties. Fun times and not at all why we came but whatever.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Welp, stuck in a hotel for the hurricane.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
Welp, got the Lincoln out yesterday and found out we're going back to FL to avoid the hurricane. By flying south through Charlotte which is famous for cancelling flights on a good day. I was looking forward to the extra per diem and hurricane party. Bummer. At least I won't die.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
As said, get your 3M quals, the higher you can the better, CSOSS too, it's a good deal to have CSOOW Qual whether or not you stand it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

Othin posted:

Where does he want liberty/to live? Florida (IWO) or Japan (CSG5)? Or to put it another way, 1st world (Japan) or 3rd world (Florida)? Also if he has access to websked tell him to just look at the (projected) deployment cycles for the Regan and Iwo Jima and see what that means for his situation.

Hey, Mayport isn't that bwahahah I can't even finish that loving statement, what a poo poo hole. Literally. The entire waterfront smells like poo poo courtesy of our lovely waste treatment plant right there.

I'm also bitter from over a year of busting my rear end in the Florida summers in a parking lot because the base skipper didn't give 2 shits about our unit and wouldn't let us stay in a hangar.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

DownByTheWooter posted:

that's a cool loving boat

Amazing the boat actually managed to make the trip without breaking. Utter pieces of crap

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
What a fucktard.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I know that even in NECC commands manning is an issue. My unit is currently supplemented by reservists who just came off a mob to HOA/JEB. The experience is handy, and bodies immensely helpful, but it's a bandaid on a bullet hole. My unit is tasked with mission in 3 locations, but our equipment is 2008 original never overhauled, one of my engines reads over 9000 hours and has never been rebuilt.

I regularly buy parts like connectors and whatnot because our OMMSNG and supply system is so hosed and archaic that even if the part was in OMMSNG, we may never see it because it sits on a shelf at group for years. Case in point, we recently received a pallet of trailer tires we ordered 2 years ago. Several other sailors have to do the same to keep the boats and trucks running to complete mission.

The trucks need replacement badly. Massive safety hits like the rear view mirrors on our stake trucks used to tow our boats across town to the launch ramp falling off mid-traffic. But we've been told things will improve in 4-5 years when the PB40s get here. I don't hold my breathe.

We have 24 bodies, OIC included. To move boats to prep for a mission we have to ferry them around town the day before. Then we still muster at 0330 some days to pick up comms, weapons, and ammo from 3 separate locations while trying to launch boats at a public ramp. So with just those 3 must have items the launch team in down 4 bodies. In a perfect navy I would grant this command 40 bodies OIC included, that would allow rotating crews for maintenance and launch/recover use, and allow those that are actually riding the waves and getting beat to poo poo on mission to show up, operate, and roll.

So largely, yeah, manning is a massive issue. As the unit's lone ET, I can't get schools needed to provide the command the support it needs, I get leave approved only if there isn't a mission because no one else can access the comms as easily as I can; which is my own fault because I should train others, I understand. Even training falls to the side in favor of maintenance and putting out the little proverbial (and occasional literal) fires that come with mission days.

The Navy is a wreck. Overspending on useless pet projects, enforcing frankly stupid requirements for advancing sailors (here's looking at you mandatory specialization pins like ESWS AND EXW), burning out reliable sailors while first classes aren't capable of holding gently caress ups accountable for being gently caress ups. The list goes on. My unit bases a good year on having less than 3 major investigations. That's loving pathetic. But the pace and expected scope of work dropped on us doesn't allow us the time to train, maintain, and enact the poo poo needed to actually fix the issues haunting us.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe

ManMythLegend posted:

Yeah, this is my take as well.

I've definitely had guys (including chiefs) talk about it before and I came down hard on it. I'd much rather they identify the problem in time that it can be properly documented and then I can throat punch the ISIC staff about doing their jobs and figuring out how to get it.

If a tasking for your unit is truly that vital, then the Navy will get you something in time to support.

As much as I wish this was true, it really isnt in NECC. For the fleet, yeah, I could drop a casrep if really needed for something before deployment. Casreps here are reserved for things like "oh your engines catastrophically exploded themselves while underway on a mission?" as it should be. So as much as I hate being part of the problem, the missions aren't going to stop because my shits falling apart. So I amazon stuff. If it's 12 bucks to keep the overbearing, micromanaging, busthrowing OIC off my back, it's worth it.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
We just combat cuff it since we aren't allowed to roll them up. We are also free to down-blouse at will so most days we aren't even wearing blouses most of the time.

One good thing about rivrons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
So the audio from Sky Penis went public today I guess. It's amazing. Forgive the reddit link

https://www.reddit.com/r/funny/comments/ch8wct/it_took_2_years_for_the_audio_of_the_navy_pilots/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share