Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

I thought you were an expert at taking things apart.

:vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Arione posted:

This is a Navy thread, pack your bags so we can RHIB you ashore.

Except the crane on the LPD works around 25% of the time so it’ll be half a day before the rhib can get in the water.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Army -> Marines doesn’t happen all that often because USMC makes all other service enlisted go through boot camp and will only make them an E-2 after graduating.

Why would you give up whatever rank you earned in another branch of service and subject yourself to another basic training pipeline when you could just transfer to another branch of service and avoid all that bullshit?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Cerekk posted:

In 10 years of sea time I have 7 days in a foreign port, of which 4 were spent on duty

See the world!

I was super lucky to get to spend 3 years as part of ship’s company on an amphib out of Sasebo. We spent 18 months or so at sea but as the USMC liaison, I had zero ship quals and no watches. I just had to load and unload the ship when we put Marines on it. That meant every port visit we did, I got the entire liberty period to go see Asia.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Crab Dad posted:

When AFRICOM visited my “ship” all we got was a pile of poo poo.

His security detail bomb sniffer doggo got sea sick on our ship and started making GBS threads himself.

Did you ask them why they don’t give the dogs hearing protection when they fly on helicopters?

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Wibla posted:

The USN must be the only NATO navy that willingly starves its own sailors :cripes:

Starves its junior enlisted sailors. I sat in the Chief’s Mess for 3 years and let me tell you, no one on the ship eats better (or more) than them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

M_Gargantua posted:

Do they still do that thing where they make you go through everything, "Pin" you, but your pay doesn't start at the new grade until like 4-6 months after your promotion? You need to get paid for it to count toward retirement.

Navy pins all of their selectees before their actual promotion takes effect. Why the USMC doesn’t pin any of their SNCOs is beyond me. Waiting 9 months to pin on E-6 and 12 months to pin on E-7 was pretty lovely.