Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

Always loved listening to first classes and chiefs bitch about millenials while failing to realize they were talking about zoomers and also they themselves are millenials

It’s like 1980 was the first year of millennials iirc, but I know a quick Google search can verify that, so yeah. Having that first group of millennials in charge is funny blaming themselves. Also considering the changes they’re always talking about that they hate and blame on millennials is being changed by their fellow chief and higher ranking officer millennial peers but let’s blame the bumfuck E3 who is totally to blame why hazing isn’t a thing anymore.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

This is the best day ever, I'm finally loving done.

I’m so happy for you. :dance:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Commands are in an active competition to see which can gently caress over sailors more.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

titties posted:

If you never drank until you passed out and then woke up in a hostel / phone booth / under a park bench and had to be carried onto the boat were you ever really in the navy?

Does the trolly station in front of BDubs in downtown Norfolk count? :v:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I like Norfolk enough to stay here rather then go back to Tennessee when I got out. When my daughter graduates from the CDC and goes to school I’ll be moving down to Chesapeake because I love it down there. :toot:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

I probably told it in the Coast Guard thread but I woke up blackout drunk in the Captains chair of the wrong cutter once. It's a right of passage really.

Please please tell us more. :allears:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

So we'd been at sea for 28 days. Which for us, a 270` Medium Endurance Cutter was a long time. We're steaming with the Kearsarge battle group and doing wargames and stuff (during which we sunk (simulated) a (real) Submarine with our 76mm gun which was fun). The wargames are their own set of stories.

Anyways, we pull into Manta, Ecuador (you'll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy) with the Hamilton, a 378' High Endurance Cutter (the different class of ship will come up later). We get secured around 3pm and have to be underway at 9am. The State Dept comes on and briefs us and tells us that the police are all corrupt, don't let them stop you. Literally run from the police, find a military police they're ok. Don't go more than two blocks from the pier or you'll die.

So the "authorized liberty area" was two blocks, which included only one bar, The Cadillac Bar. One of our Chiefs gets them to agree on a special, 3 shots of Jaeger and 1 local beer (Brahma, I think). 80 dollars later I think to myself "I should stop drinking." I check my watch, it's 9:30pm. Now I don't think I drank all the shots, since it was 3 at a time I would grab the two people nearest me and split it, but then so would others.

It was chaos though, the XO was dancing on a pool table with a topless nonrate . The Radio Chiefs from each boat got into a bloody fist fight over whos OS' were more leet. Etc. I remember sitting down on a bench to rest for a second.

Then I blink and daylight streams in. I panic, patting myself down. Glasses, Check, Wallet, Check, Phone, Check. Ok I'm in one piece. I sit there a full five minutes going "I'm in one piece so I'm ok". Then I slowly wonder where I am. I look out through tall windows and see the flight deck of my ship. I almost cheer. I'm on the boat, this is GREAT! Everything is GREAT.

Quick lesson for those not familiar with Coast Guard Cutters.

The astute among you may have realized quicker than my drunk rear end did. If I can see the flight deck of my ship through bridge windows I'm on the wrong ship. I panic, and instead of going down outside the ship where I could like...see poo poo. I delve into the innards of a ship I am entirely unfamiliar with. I'm smashing into knee knockers, I'm saluting people (I'm still drunk at this point if we're being honest) in the corridor. I stumble onto their mess deck mid breakfast and keep making my way aft. Finally spilling out near the gangway. I manage to salute and drag myself off the ship.

I limp up the dock to my ship, find my locker and completely fail to put on a uniform top. I mean I get one arm in then just flail about aimlessly. Finally I tug on some paint covered coveralls and force my legs to carry me to the bridge for my Special Sea Detail station.

I get to the bridge, both port and starboard trashcans have someone heaving into them. From the sound-powered phone to the CIC I hear vomiting (my roommate, at the time, actually). I manage to pull up the correct track-line on the ECDIS and slump in the chair trying to look small.

Not sure if the Navy does it, but we did a GAR (Green-Amber-Red) assessment before any big evolution. Basically, how risky is this across a few factors, 1 to 10, 1 being no risk/no factor, 10 being holy poo poo complete risk. It starts normally enough, "Evolution Complexity?" the poor Ensign in charge of the detail asks. "3" someone mutters, half in a trashcan. "Crew Fitness?" nobody answers...I look up "Ten". The XO gasps. He gets halfway into the following sentence "Petty Officer Elendil if you are unfit for this mission you needed to take it easy last night---" before the Captain lifts his hat, which had been pulled low to cover his completely bloodshot eyes. "Gordie" he says to the XO "We're all too drunk for this bullshit. Yourself included. Who up here had duty last night and is sober?" A few hands pop up around the bridge. One of the seamen pokes his head in from the smoke pit "sir?"

The captain points to the sober members of the crew, "You got the Conn, you got helm and throttles, you're lookout, let's get the gently caress out of here."

It's the quietest special sea detail we ever had, the OOD from last night who has the Conn now just watching the ECDIS and driving the track-line. No fixes are plotted, no callouts, just driving out to the sea-bouy.

Once we're in open ocean, on this Tuesday I think, the captain gets on the 1MC, calls it a Sunday routine and heads below. I don't think we saw him till night orders came out.

The irony being when we traveled north a month or two later, the Navy offered us another Manta port call, like a fee, extra day in port. The Captain asked for a crew vote and we voted to stay underway rather than return to that place.

This is one of the greatest sea story I have ever heard. Thank you.

My BDubs in downtown Norfolk the night before my first underway wasn’t too noteworthy. Just got drunk there and lost my buddy, who was apparently sitting right next to me, so I naturally go outside to look for him and pass out next to the bench at the little trolly island.

Then busted my chin in the berthing on a knee knocked hard enough that my entire division was around me trying to figure out how to make sure I wasn’t about to get a ARI. So they drag an HM out of their rack and bring them to my berthing and he stitches me up on the couch. Luckily I was drunk enough that I couldn’t feel poo poo. Woke up to like fifty bloody rags on my pillow.

Luckily ABEs don’t do poo poo for pulling out so I got to chill while suffering in the shop with a rag pressed against my chin.

Still have a great scar.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crab Dad posted:

I have a warfare pin?

Shipmate, you can’t be successful at life without your pin.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

I’m not jealous, I’m in loving awe of the guy.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Being on the flight deck at least I always had a nice breeze. :smug:

Until it was 10 degrees out. :v:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Thanks to medical neglect forced upon me during my time in I make almost as much in disability than I averaged in base pay gently caress that lol.

Thankfully knees backs and hip stuff is all pretty fixable just need to spend about a half and hour or so each day doing yoga and PT and it's been improving.

Same exact boat I’m in. Knee could have been fixed if Navy medical just OK’d a trip to Portsmouth for an MRI but instead insisted I just had a sprain… for two years. :stare:

Anyway, yoga and stretching each day and it’s fine with a good ol’ paycheck. :smug:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

maffew buildings posted:

One of my former Sailor's is about to EAOS without DD-214, is this something you guys are seeing? They're being told everything is backed up and it won't impact getting benefits but that sounds like a lie.

I needed it for my disability application but that’s about it. I know some states require it to put Veteran on your license but other than that I can’t think of anything else I’ve used it for.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/n...830f0600bc474c6

:(

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
https://www.navy.mil/Press-Office/P...CZJjhk.facebook

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I stayed and worked in Seattle for 4 years after I got out and I was beyond ready to GTFO. It’s great sometimes but drat that weather.

Got out and have stayed in Norfolk for two years so far. I'm only here for my daughter but drat I wanna leave so bad.

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Lol I had everything, then half the forums got nuked in the Democratic Primary Toxx-pocalypse, and I never got around to rebuilding. Not even an avatar. I think Lowtax got milkshake duck'd around that time too, so I didn't want to give him any more of my :tenbux: than I had to.

Now that Lowtax isn't around anymore I find my occasional :10bux: to these here forums somewhat worth it now.

IncredibleIgloo posted:

If only Lowtax had married alcoholism, he would have beaten it.

:vince:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
The only reason I would say come to Norfolk is if you ride a motorcycle. We have the greatest community out here but that’s not loving worth it so just go to DC.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

When I was in Norfolk a lot of people got out and then went directly to the shipyard

Why are you exposing me! :negative:

M_Gargantua posted:

Norfolk is bad!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
You guys are better than me. Took me a week to get from Norfolk to Memphis and that’s my longest road trip.

I stayed with family in Knoxville and Nashville for a few days each. :v:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
All I ever got to play was spades and none of the cool nerd poo poo. :(

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Well the guy who attacked the FBI with a nail gun was a bubblehead and, unsurprisingly, drove a mustang.

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/loner-gunman-attacked-fbi-office-was-navy-vet-drove-fast-was-devoted-d-rcna42937

Time to ban assault high capacity nail guns. No one needs those.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Crab Dad posted:

So I didn’t do much this year for my eval besides dubious ATs to fleet week and Germany so I was a little worried about my last eval before I’m up for board the first time. However my unit gave me a LoA for some technical work on a printer and the nmci network I did this past weekend and now I’m feeling pretty good about my chances.
Traveling to Utah still sucks but drat if this unit isn’t making it hard to leave them.

The way your career has been I don’t think you need to worry about anything… ever.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

:rubby:

Eh, call me a conspiracist but I wouldn't be surprised if he had politicians and FBI higher ups in his pocket and they orchestrated the whole thing.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

God I hope at the end of this he gets paid for this bullshit.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SerthVarnee posted:

His pay will also be stayed until he is finally released from navy scapegoat jail. At which point he will be hit for taxes as if that sudden onetime payout had been his yearly income during the whole period.

I still got paid on the 1st and 15th every month for the year I was waiting for my trial. He’s getting paid.

I just hope he gets more.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Woah, you had to go through a loving court martial?

If you wouldn’t mind- could you share with us what happened? I sat on a court martial jury once, and was a witness in 2 other unrelated courts martial.

Did you beat the charges? Use a private attorney? JAG?

I’m not looking to judge or anything man, I just get fascinated by the legal side of military things sometimes just because of a few unique experiences I had.

Anyway, thanks!

Was accused with two charges of assault. Sat in the brig for almost 13 months waiting for trial, mostly due to COVID loving up my first trial date, and took a misdemeanor plea deal for one and went to trial and was found not guilty of my second charge. My dad works for a law firm so the partners in that firm actually spoke and worked with my lawyers to come up with a plan but my dad’s firm believed my JAGs were actually competent so we let them defend me which turned out well.

Basically just tried to visualize myself on deployment and enjoyed my big chunk of cash I saved up when I got out the brig and out the Navy when I hit my EAOS a few weeks later.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Yeah it's been like almost a decade since I stepped on a deckplate but gently caress me I'm pretty sure those doors are supposed to be open unless there's a good reason they're not.

I thought it was circle X that was supposed to be open and Z was actually supposed to be closed? gently caress I dunno it’s only been two years and I don’t remember.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Whatever faults our UCMJ system may have, you are in good hands as junior enlisted going to a bench trial. The prosecution had no loving case, but you don’t need a unanimous military panel, and that’s easy to get with the idiots you get in the military. Judges? Not so much.

I know this isn’t universal, but it’s a pretty common thread.

Yeah my JAGs straight up told me they really have no case and going Judge only was the way to go but a panel of chiefs and officers usually have the mindset of, "if they're accused they're guilty". Thank god I actually listen to good advice.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

orange juche posted:

Yeah I mean no they won't pay him poo poo, especially since the navy is pissed at him for him beating their charges. His best bet is to gently caress off away from the navy and never look back.

My CMC said after I got back to my command after beating my charges that he would follow my transfers everywhere and make sure my every new command knew about me, even after he's retired. He was still somehow surprised when I told him I was getting out.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Nick Soapdish posted:

That makes me wonder, was he TAD to the Brig or PCSed?

TAD. But I still lost my sea pay after 30 days. :(

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elendil004 posted:

The short: We boarded a fishing vessel, saw some obviously new paint and a hidden compartment. Started cutting into it with a breaching saw, which blew through a bale, which hurled the cocaine directly into our faces.

Wow, and you didn't go to mast for failing a drug test? I guess I could have actually believed my chief when he said not all commands were like U.S.S. George Washington CVN 73.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

Your (former?) Command sucks so loving bad it's infamous among submarine nukes, who usually don't give a poo poo about anything surface related.

Oh wow, I’m glad it’s getting attention. Also yes, former. I got out two years ago. :haw: I didn’t even realize I was drat near suicidal myself until I realized what life was like outside that command.

Like I’m a very happy and upbeat person and I had to reflect on the fact that wishing someone would hit my on my motorcycle on my way to work every morning was seriously hosed up. My daughter is the only reason I made it through five years on that boat. Life is good now.

FTN and specifically gently caress the GW.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
ABE is the best rate ever with tons of opportunities outside the Navy. She’d love it!

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

pmchem posted:

I get the solidarity with the crew I guess, but, if there was bad stuff in there and the Lincoln needed to do something it seems like a bad idea to have the CO incapacitated??

The best way to get something fixed in the Navy is to make sure it affects officers too.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Much like the last time I saw it, I look forward to toasting to the Lincoln's descent to whichever coast it eventually gets made a reef into. Or when it gets towed into Brownsville. I'm not picky. 17 yearsish left.

I will do whatever I have to do to see this happened to the George Washington. Cannot wait to see that bitch go down.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Elviscat posted:

Look, you can roll your blouse sleeves up in the most awkward, bizarre, and uncomfortable way possible, that used to leave nasty red marks on my biceps. What more do you want?

No, you cannot unblouse even though it's 95 out and humid as gently caress, wear your thick rear end "shirt" that's closer to a jacket.

I remember moving water tight hatches off the ship (carrier) in 95+ degrees and our chief told us to deblouse while we’re working so we do and we got stopped by every single chief as we have these 70 pound doors in our hands from hanger bay 3 to hangar bay 1 and my first response was always, “it’s loving hot chief” and it just kept going until I said, “our chief told us to” then they’d finally leave us the gently caress alone.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
:allears:

So psyched for you Crabdad! Be the chief you were born to be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Don't forget to do your annual "Don't go to Russia to meet your online date" GMT due by COB at the end of the week! :chiefsay:

Hey I was in the brig with that guy!

Cool dude, lied about leave for pussy. Actually a chief that I ended up respecting.