Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

LogicalFallacy posted:

I would like to note that my recruiter never mentioned anything about the enlistment bonus for nuke, and prior to me causing this thread to explode a bit the only enlistment bonus mentioned to me had been something $16k for AECF, though I may be mis-remembering that number. My recruiter hasn't actually done anything to push me into nuke, that can all be blamed on my brother and most of the folks in the Navy office at MEPS. In fact, she never really mentioned much of anything about specific jobs besides telling me that I'm pretty much qualified for anything with my ASVAB score. I am leaning more and more towards remaining AECF, or possibly trying to get SECF on account of already having signed the "I'm cool with going on a sub" form. (Notably, the fact that this form had been presented to me to sign, even though I am currently signed as AECF, confused the hell out of my recruiter.)

I don't mean to seem flippant, or as if I'm dismissing all your advice out of hand, but I do have a habit of minimizing the concerns of others, and digging my heels in even in cases where I am pretty clearly wrong. I do thank you guys for your patience and/or mockery, and assure you I really don't plan on becoming a statistic anytime soon.

Unrelatedly, I wouldn't say my brother exactly loves being an HT, though he did start liking it a bit more once he started getting trained in welding. It's not an assignment he exactly chose, he just ended up with it after pissing off a few bigwigs shortly after enlisting.

This explains everything. Your brother is bitter and wants your time in to suck worse than his.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Re damage control, the preliminary report about the collision and sinking of the Norwegian FFG Helge Ingstad came out a while back.

Two major findings:
Reason for collision: lack of situational awareness on the FFG. In short they had just changed watch, and the bridge crew thought the deck lights on the tanker was part of the oil terminal. Also the deck lights obscured the nav lights. By the time they realized the "terminal" was bearing down on them it was too late. They also thought the radio transmissions warning them were from one of the other northbound ships in the area.

Reason for sinking:
The collision opened aft crew quarters, stores room and aft generator room to the sea (and thrashed stbd torpedo room and sickbay and damaged the helicopter fuel tank on the deck above, so some sleeping sailors woke up by the bulkhead tearing apart and then they were drenched in avgas and sparks from damaged HV cables in the overhead, only to find the deck awash in seawater when they got out of their bunks. Must've been fun).

Initial damage assessment indicated "poor stability" but as the generator room filled up it turned out that water was transported into the gear room through the hollow propeller shafts, and from there into both engine rooms through the stuffing boxes. At that point vessel was decleared lost and order was given to abandon ship.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

TF CURES GENERATOR posted:

jesus christ, i wouldn't have thought this possible

Neighter did the accident investigation board.

https://www.aibn.no/Marine/Investigations/18-968

Aibn safety alert posted:

Appendix A – Safety alert, collision between the frigate 'KNM Helge Ingstad' and the tanker 'Sola TS' on 8 November 2018, outside the Sture terminal in Hjeltefjorden in Hordaland County

In connection with the ongoing investigation into the collision between the frigate 'KNM Helge Ingstad' and the oil tanker 'Sola TS' on 8 November 2018 outside the Sture terminal in Hjeltefjorden in Hordaland County, the Accident Investigation Board Norway (AIBN) has identified some safety-critical issues that require immediate attention. Note that the AIBN is in an early phase of the investigation and that the circumstances will be subject to further investigation.
The AIBN has found safety critical issues relating to the vessel's watertight compartments. This must be assumed to also apply to the other four Nansen-class frigates. It cannot be excluded that the same applies to vessels of a similar design delivered by Navantia, or that the design concept continues to be used for similar vessel models. The AIBN assumes that its findings are not in conformity with the required damage stability standard for the Nansenclass frigates.
To start with, flooding occurred in three watertight compartments on board 'KNM Helge Ingstad': the aft generator room, the orlob deck's crew quarters and the stores room. There was some uncertainty as to whether the steering engine room, the aftmost compartment, was also filling up with water. Based on this damage, the crew, supported by the vessel's stability documents, assessed the vessel as having 'poor stability' status, but that it could be kept afloat. If more compartments were flooded, the status would be assessed as 'vessel lost' on account of further loss of stability.
Next, the crew found that water from the aft generator room was running into the gear room via the hollow propeller shafts and that the gear room was filling up fast. From the gear room, the water then ran into and was flooding the aft and fore engine rooms via the stuffing boxes in the bulkheads. This meant that the flooding became substantially more extensive than indicated by the original damage. Based on the flooding of the gear room, it was decided to prepare for evacuation.
The AIBN considers the vessel's lack of watertight integrity to be a safety issue relating to Nansen-class frigates and therefore issues the following two safety alerts

Interim safety recommendation MARINE No. 2018/01
The Accident Investigation Board Norway recommends that the Norwegian Defence Material Agency, in cooperation with the Norwegian Navy and the Norwegian Armed Forces Material Safety Authority (NAFMSA), conduct investigations into the issues identified during the initial investigation and implement measures as necessary to address safety.

Interim safety recommendation MARINE No. 2018/02
The Accident Investigation Board Norway recommends that Navantia, the vessel's designer, conduct investigations into the issues identified during this initial investigation and to ascertain whether this is also an issue relating to other vessels. Furthermore, that Navantia issue a notification to relevant shipbuilding yards, owners and operators, advising on necessary measures to address safety.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

F313 HNoMS Helge Ingstad is getting raised today. This is from an hour ago.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

And more Helge Ingstad, Wibla posted an animation of the damage and water ingress in the idiots thread.

Wibla posted:

Here's a video from VG.no (one of the largest newspapers in Norway): https://static.vg.no/spesial/2018/fregattulykke/vannlekkasje.mp4?2

Basically water came in through the propeller shaft tunnel into the main gear room, then spread into the two other main engineering spaces fore and aft of it. This frigate has a pretty advanced CODAG propulsion system, with a gas turbine in the engineering space fore of the gear room, and two diesels in the engineering space behind it. This amount of water inside the ship meant that it was just a matter of time until it would lose stability, capsize and sink. It also explains the progressive flooding of the vessel as watertight seals failed throughout the ship as it settled, after getting pushed on shore.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

In Norway only the Skjold-class corvettes have nice names.
P960 – KNM «Skjold» - Shield
P 961 – KNM «Storm» - Self explanatory
P 962 – KNM «Skudd» - Shot
P 963 – KNM «Steil» - Untranslatable, means steep impassable terrain, but then also implacable, unbendable, unwavering
P 964 – KNM «Glimt» - Flash
P 965 – KNM «Gnist» - Spark

Everything else is boring place names, like islands for the mine hunters, rivers for the minesweepers, or explorers for the frigates. Oh no, Thor Heyerdahl is coming to spout wild theories at you in an atrocious accent!
The subs are named for tiny villages or islands beginning with U, but they ran out it seems, so the 6th boat in the Ula class is named "Uredd" (Unafraid) instead. :v:

Occasionally we get some cool norse gods, I hope we're due for some again soon. (Lol, we won't build new warships for decades).

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Wonder Free posted:

We hunted the Norwegian sub Bruinvis during an exercise in Scotland once. They told us it translates to Bear Fish which sounds kind of metal. I think I remember it being a big pain in the rear end to track as all things on the P-3 are.

Bruinvis is a Dutch boat, and although bruin is bear (literally just 'brown') and vis is fish, the english name would be porpoise like a whoole lot of other subs trough history.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

As we all knew, they dead.
The one "good" thing about implosion is that it's reportedly complete faster than the human nervous system can register anything, the implosion itself moves way faster than a nervous impulse. (meaning the brainbox is physically destroyed before any signals about the situation can reach it).
https://twitter.com/Phil_Lewis_/status/1672000874279997441?s=20

Also, rare case where my avi is relevant.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Elviscat posted:

John Paul Jones was a pirate,

Modern Sailors dress as pirates when they go to anime conventions, same thing.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zHMvJrZx1T0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

maffew buildings posted:

The EDO who was my old battalions CO, CDR Troy Bailey, after I left was selected. During the first deployment he skippered a troop on a detachment drowned. CDR Bailey visited the detachment and, per the more junior troops, did not talk to them about what happened, or talk to them at all. He did yell at the OIC and other senior personnel about their projects not being done fast enough, though. Hoorah!

When I was doing my conscription a soldier from the other batallion in our camp drowned when his vehicle broke the ice and sank in a swamp during an exercise. Our CO did a "debrief" with us where his message basically was the "Some of you may die, but that is a sacrifice I am willing to make" speech from Shrek.