Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Some poor sailor on the Nimitz just bought a scummy subcontractor a drink. Those vending machines have some real hangtime when a credit card is used on them.
Poor(er) guy didn’t mean to gently caress ya.

Wait, what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

The (or a particular) vending machines if you use a credit card need to be manually told to stop vending stuff. There was a sign about it right at face level but who reads that poo poo. I couldn’t give it back if I wanted to.

Oh lol, I thought there was something serious going on. On deployment it was all navycash cards. (randomly nonfunctional) I guess they switched them to regular cards after it went in.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

On orders for 139 days. Time to get my Navy on. Woo.

Where to? The fact that you're in SeaTac long enough to hang out in the uso makes me assume things.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Pfft, you could at least get orders to Asia and experience all the fun parts of being forward deployed. Or at least give me a speedline to a one-net account. (it's been a month and I'm still waiting)

In other news we got a surprise visit from the VAQ Pac Wing Commodore today as our MCI/MPA inspection kicked off and 3 dudes went to mast for cough syrup.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I find it hilarious that in Atsugi NCIS would probably not care if you took a Japanese school girl to the barracks but here in Iwakuni they're looking high and low for cough syrup.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Viva Miriya posted:

Is NCIS on Atsugi being lovely really a thing? It would definitely help explain nothing being done about some poo poo that happened to one of our corpsmen.

More like no one ever even encountered NCIS the entire time I was there. Rumor said they hung out in Roppongi, but I don't remember anyone ever actually running into them.

In Iwakuni they're watching security cameras and tossing people's rooms at the barracks for cough syrup.

Seems a little unbalanced. I blame marines.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
My job this cruise has been summarized as directing two junior dudes to get hazmat and run paint chits to boat safety, and take morning maint meeting because boss isn't coming in till noon (12-12).

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

vulturesrow posted:

I confess I'll never understand someone in naval aviation being excited about being in a non-carrier based aircraft.

Let me put it this way: You can go to a floating prison where you might get a week off somewhere in between God knows how long or you can go chill at an airbase for a month, collect per diem, not eat boat food, then go do it somewhere else for another month, etc.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
In other news 7th fleet actually managed to pull into Manila, for once. Third times a charm I guess.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Apparently my base (Iwakuni) is flooded enough that at least one person has had a car float around their parking lot, the local highway is closed and the trains from Fukuoka are out presumably both due to landslides. Another Typhoon is hitting the area basically in the next few days (Or now?) too. Guess we're gonna come back on our break and pick up the pieces.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Reserve admin is literally the worst aspect of the Reserves because NOSCs are usually manned by a bunch of broke dick, sad brained shore duty sailors doing work outside of their rates. There are some excellent officers and senior enlisted who have been great for me but its not norm.

You're telling me that someone actually wakes up and bitches that they have to shuffle some papers for a few hours instead of the hypothetical 15hr shifts putting something mechanical back together that basically encompasses most rates?

Literally worse than the airman fuelie I ran into a month ago on the boat in line for the smoke pit whining about how he joined to kill people.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

LingcodKilla posted:

Yup. There's a person who went straight to a NOSC instead of a carrier like the rest of their rate from boot camp and they endlessly bitch about how terrible an office job that barely "works" for 30 hours a week is.

Hahahahahaha

FrozenVent posted:

Wait you have to line up to go for a smoke? What the gently caress?

Yeah the Reagan closed the fantail and the bay 1 pit, we're stuck with only 1, the little one right before the ndi shop.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
A hull in a pool sounds like all you need to simulate. Sure, it's a really big pool but it doesn't sound hard, probably not even outlandishly expensive.

But I'm just a lowly AM2, what do I know?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Should've included something about standing around pointlessly in formation at an international fleet review watching other countries wave at you from chairs and you can't wave back. Because traditions.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
He's an IT, his work time caps out at 7 hours a day. Source - My ITs.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I know multiple people actively deployed overseas with cpap machines.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
The seabees at Iwakuni have actually been employed, building trash sheds in housing...because having plastic trash cans hurled across base everytime the wind blows and then get pillaged by monster crows is something they missed in the planning stage.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Maybe just build a new class with new bigger guns and not attach a million requirements that make it a cluster gently caress like the Zumwalt.

We'll call it a heavy cruiser, to keep people from trying to make it a battleship.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Speaking of bees, the guys here are apparently getting work for Christmas.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

That looks a lot like Iwakuni with all of their new housing they've built over the past ten years or so.

Too bad there isn't a prize for that.

maffew buildings posted:

I'm not loving Johnny Builder or whatever but they made one loving bold design choice on that thing

Well it's Japan designing/building around American requirements. So the first floor is about what you would expect from a two bedroom apartment, the second floor the master bedroom and a second bedroom's worth of empty space for reasons that no one knows, and the third floor is a bedroom, a half size bedroom/office and a bathroom.

Now back to the labour's of bees, it seems nobody ever thought about what to do with trash beyond "Order some wheelie bins-no not the good ones!" so after a few stiff breezes and the crows learned there's a couple thousand more people around, it's been decided that hey maybe housing should have an actual storage location/trash shed...like built everywhere else.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I mean everyone should be getting po1 indoc at least, not that it's very useful. Most should already have spent long enough as a second to know what to do.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
It's not encrypted, it's just some MC with some stickers waiting for the day he gets to pick the schedule.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Mr. Nice! posted:

Read the dvd. It says on the top line that it is an encrypted dvd.

Joke
-------
Your head

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Meh, it's Atsugi. poo poo like that happens uncommonly. They're probably just happy to make the news there.

Now, okinawa on the other hand...

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
It's always been my guess that liberty restrictions are more about what USFJ/7th fleet thinks they need to do rather than what locals want or even expect.

Just like I'm sure Busan is super happy about not getting those carrier port calls anymore or Atsugi/Yokohama having a thousand less people dropping cash off base.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Problem: Dude does X

Solution: Do Y to dude

Problem addressed?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Yeah, I was gonna say, the GW is definitely the more significant event. It's definitely the one they shoved down our throats at boot camp DC.

Forrestal is #2, it mostly gets brought up for aircraft firefighting.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Dorstein posted:

I went to a party at a Canadian regiment house recently. Being in the same unit for your entire career seems to engender real military cultural differences from the US system. People take care of their poo poo, though I guess the trade-off is that bad cultural stuff is even harder to evict.

I disagree. You can just literally evict the problems either somewhere else or out and replace them with fresh personnel. There's a lot of highly capable talent that would still be in my current command/the navy if they weren't getting shafted or faced with getting shafted on orders.

Even now people just end up PCSing across the street most times, so things don't really change you just lose good people for a dice roll on their replacement that won't show up for six months. Aviation wise at least the cultural differences are more wing or base related than unit. There's like 20 separate units in Lemoore, so quite a few people spend their entire careers there bouncing around so as far as I'm concerned that shits already in place so you might as well stop screwing people out of the place where they've built a life because that's just going to make everyone pissy.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Dorstein posted:

I... said that? Apologies for not being clearer.

I'm not saying you can't be a homesteader in the US military, just that it's not the default. Also that the incentive to cover busted stuff up until you leave isn't really present if you never leave.

I meant more the harder to fix things part.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
In a similar vein, I've got air hoses that have been in this squadron for years, so we get new ones ordered. The new ones came in about a month back, but a: they don't have fittings, and b: they're made for half inch fittings when everything(tools/wall fitting) is sized for quarter inch. The problem was solved by Amazoning some new cheap fittings for the old hoses since that's their only real problem. Thanks China!

Also my actual work center is in a completely different building but no one gives a gently caress about getting us a printer so we can stop burning gas money traveling back and forth for small. Solution: ¥2000 for a used wireless standalone printer/copier,thanks Amazon!

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I know an FC that went IA to Iraq to work with CRAM. Didn't hear much about CRAM from his stories though.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Ken Bone Comeback posted:

I carried trash light bulbs across the hangar bay of the carrier without so much as a trashbag around them

lol. Lol if I had dropped one. Lolling into eternity.

If you did have a trash bag it would have been worse.

TRASH IS NOT AUTHORIZED IN THE HANGAR BAY - conflag

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

Stultus Maximus posted:

jesus you all are loving altar boys

I say again TRASH IS NOT AUTHORIZED IN THE HANGAR BAY :shepface:

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

PneumonicBook posted:

Dont worry, I'm sure the new FFGs will be a smashing success.

Before or after it feature creeps its way to a light carrier?

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
I always wonder what goes through a leaderships brains when they decide to make non-mandatory things mandatory. The end result here is usually just a ton of people on fep.

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Let's see how long till the ripples reach Iwakuni and we get hosed because we have to give the Marines reach arounds even though they don't give two shits about us.

But hey I'll probably be on deployment then and do my drinking in Brisbane.

CMD598 fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Apr 9, 2019

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Well no one actually know you guys exist until I tell them.

CMD598 fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 9, 2019

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
How long ago did the Wasp move to 7th fleet? I ask because it's apparently leaving again.

link: https://www.c7f.navy.mil/Media/News/Display/Article/1824792/uss-america-uss-new-orleans-to-forward-deploy-to-japan-uss-stethem-and-uss-wasp/

CMD598 fucked around with this message at 11:45 on Apr 26, 2019

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013

ManMythLegend posted:

About a year ago. This is relatively normal. There's been a lot of talk about increasing the pace of FDNF rotation for amphibs. Also, I going to be charitable and day they are announcing the port shifts relatively far in advance after the unmitigated personnel disaster that was GREEN BAY's homeport shift.

A full homeport shift though? That's a lot of dependents to shuffle around every couple of years, at once. :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CMD598
Apr 12, 2013
Itt we bitch about double tropical vacations