Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

2 americans and 668 french. So far.

https://news.usni.org/2020/04/15/two-u-s-sailors-on-french-carrier-charles-de-gaulle-test-positive-for-covid-19

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

joat mon posted:

Holey (chro)moly.

:gary:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Nick Soapdish posted:

I had forgotten about Modly flying out the Guam, bitching at the Sailors on the 1MC, and then immediately going back to DC

Not even! He then had a 14 day corona quarantine! (And got fired before he was out of it, iirc)

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

orange juche posted:

I mean, Iceman didn't kill his RIO, and Iceman got his name on the plaque, so that counts for something.

Goose didn't follow procedure for a flat spin eject, but I won't speak ill of the dead.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

I figured the bad guys where supposed to be Libya

Aren't you watching the movie, right now?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Regardless of the ambient wetness, Kelly McGillis is always drier than Tom Cruise in every scene I've paid attention to so far.

I'm talking about the sweaty CIC in the first scene.

The CIC is the very next shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EZfM2VMs_vI&t=239s

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Madurai posted:

This mistake keeps being made over and over again by people who rightly understand that all the spiky weapons and antennas on Soviet-era ships made them look rad as hell.

:hmmyes:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

M_Gargantua posted:

Wait until you get to the "the entire hull is surrounded by a ballast tank" which just screams to me of some A-ganger playing a prank and her just buying it fully. Or misinterpreting the "entire diameter" for "entire length"

Maybe she misunderstood how a pressure hull and outer hull works?

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Elviscat posted:

it's so nice getting off watch after a day of going fast and not having your hair slicked back with 2190.

Post/avatar mismatch :chloe:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Norwegian Frigate discovering that the unknown "obstacle" was a tanker headed straight for them:

https://giant.gfycat.com/DaringWildLemming.mp4

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

The height of the ground effect scales with wingspan, so a larger one can cruise higher.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Stultus Maximus posted:

Hm… should I take up my entire back with a sick full color battle of Trafalgar? Nah. BLOCK TEXT!

Yeah wtf

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Wingnut Ninja posted:

But even then they didn't have much in the way of QE1 branding anywhere that I could see either.

Shame.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Crab Dad posted:

We waste all our good names on these smol guys.

:lol:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Lemniscate Blue posted:

I do like the kite sail idea for cargo ships to reduce fuel use. And there's a part of me that's sad that fully wind-powered sea transport isn't viable at the scale we need because there's something really neat about sailing ships.

I loving love sailboats. Build a modern materials monstrosity of a windjammer, just go absolutely wild

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

https://www.sailcargo.inc/

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Nick Soapdish posted:

https://twitter.com/JimLaPorta/status/1664357029677355016?s=20

That's a much cooler cover than the cruise book I have

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Nick Soapdish posted:

I appreciate cringe poo poo if it is done in earnest. I am sure some PAO and/or MC were really excited about it

No, sorry, I mean dumping diesel and managing to get it into your drinking water

I felt the metaphor was apt

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Nick Soapdish posted:

I am sure a lot of non-surface or non-Navy type watching that like "they're so far away, what's the matter?"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDN8lQW08yQ&t=174s

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

AlternateNu posted:

Apropos of nothing, it always makes my eyes twitch seeing the civilian journalist abbreviations for Navy ranks. Why DoD/DoN doesn't just send out a release telling them "this is how you shorten Navy ranks/rates...guess what?! It'll save you print space just putting LCDR there instead of Lt. Cmdr.!"

Nick Soapdish posted:

AP style guide

It is a lot easier for the uninitiated to read Lt. Cmdr. than LCDR

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Proper Kerni ng posted:

That's not an Arleigh Burke, it's a Burly Ark

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

:rubby:

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

OPAONI posted:

I'm glad to know the anti-missile defense systems work.

quote:

The missile was shot down in vicinity of the coast of Hudaydah by U.S. fighter aircraft.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Crab Dad posted:

Did no mention of mechanical issues get announced?

Stultus Maximus posted:

That's what she said?

:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

Crab Dad posted:

I knew what the problem was right away and discreetly found the rollers and slapped the machine a few times, inserted the rollers back in and abra cadabra I impressed a nuclear engineer team.

Kinda scary.

This is all technical fields :hmmyes: