Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yeah Bremerton is where I would expect it to go. That's a weird place for an impact. Is there any info about what caused the damage? I woudl think that if they ran into the keel of a cargo ship or something there would have been a big ol news article. Can't think what else it would be other than maybe some kind of very robust underwater cabling or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

We're still at pier D, man I am not looking forward to moving to the CIA with 2 carriers, can't wait for my daily 3 mile 90 minute commute each day :barf:

I used to sleep on the boat during drydock so I'd have time to work out and actually read / sleep / whatever.

I was E-Div though so we were just absolutely hosed every single day all day for the entire refit period thoug.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

piL posted:

Are carriers livable in drydock or did you just hide in some paint locker?

Ohio class submarine

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

piL posted:

Huh, I'd expect that to be even less livable in dry dock and harder to hide in.

When I say sleep I mean during my own time. I sure as poo poo wasn't sleeping during any kind of "working hours" or anything like that - generally our division was on 3 section watch to approve and hang tags for all the work the shipyard was doing. gently caress drydock that place sucks

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's because none of the chiefs or senior officers want to go home to their miserable lives.

Yeah my LCPO who's wife cheated on him w/ his best friend was certifiable and naturally was gunning for a senior chief star by announcing that E div was ready to support whatever operations seaman schmuckatelly was too valuable for.

Shits making my blood pressure rise again

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

I've heard rumors of boats threatening people with NJP for malingering if they get themselves tested....

Ah yeah, thats the stuff. gently caress the Navy.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
bringing that much water with you in your rack is stupid. Gotta pack out the powdered energy drink mix they sell at wal-mart and monster shooters (which seem to be discontinued?) which you can mix up with some water and drink on watch. Tasted just like squeez-its

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Cerekk posted:

One of my E-5s casually mentioned to me today that he has had 10 weekends off since September of 2019.

Must be nice, days off. Must be real nice.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Howard Phillips posted:

Not propaganda. I'm not taking any sides. But there are Russians living in Ukraine. Whether for generations before USSR or from Soviet times.

How do you define "russian" in this instance?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Dont ever talk to cops without talking to your attorney first.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

SquirrelyPSU posted:

Shipyards are hell on earth for junior enlisted. You aren't actually covered under OSHA standards because OSHA protocols are under Department of Labor and not DoD. It was (emphatically) the worst.

gently caress the Yards and gently caress the navy, forever and ever, amen.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
lol gently caress the surface navy, submarine navy, naval aviation, and every navy sailor ashore.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Phuzzy posted:

what the actual gently caress who paid for this ad

gently caress you

Wait do people get paid to make bad 4 panel comics?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

This is the best day ever, I'm finally loving done.

:glomp: :glomp: :glomp:

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I got a paper copy of my DD214 before I left base. We went over its content and made corrections because what it had was all hosed up. If you're separating feel free to piss people off because gently caress every idiot that's still in the military, you gotta get what you need.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I had some idiot from medical call me after I departed to say that there were some missing parts of my medical file that they needed. I told the dude I was discharged and he said they needed me to come back to medical and I just hung up on him. Get fuckkked

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
**Double Post**

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Jun 24, 2022

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AlternateNu posted:

No. We ended up putting the charging recommendations in what we sent up to the JAG, but after discussing the situation with them and the NCIS agent assigned for their investigation, they agreed that there wasn't enough information to prove culpable negligence. Also IIRC, that panel had been under constant maintenance for days by that point, and we didn't have the papertrail to definitively prove who left it open. Pretty sure the CO nuked the CHENG, ELECTRO, and division chief's next FITREPs, though.

Lol you had an exposed main breaker for days and couldnt track down who was working on it last? Sounds like the whole ship should have been charged

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
The end of your career, typically.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Why would they use a drone boat? Why not a drone plane?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

A.o.D. posted:

Well, for starters, a drone boat could hold a lot more stuff than a plane, and second, a plane has to fly. A boat can just, you know, sit there doing nothing.

Buoys aren't drones!!!!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

LtCol J. Krusinski posted:

If my dick has been in it? It’s a chick.

Drones are chicks.

Also I’ve noticed that a lot of the holes in the wall at truck stops are chicks.

Am I right?

Guys?

…ladies?

Well gently caress ya’ll.

Get this guy a pickle barrel!!!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
gently caress all dc motors and the sadists who designed them. Also gently caress the chain of command and gently caress the navy

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Anita Dickinme posted:

Was accused with two charges of assault. Sat in the brig for almost 13 months waiting for trial, mostly due to COVID loving up my first trial date, and took a misdemeanor plea deal for one and went to trial and was found not guilty of my second charge. My dad works for a law firm so the partners in that firm actually spoke and worked with my lawyers to come up with a plan but my dad’s firm believed my JAGs were actually competent so we let them defend me which turned out well.

Basically just tried to visualize myself on deployment and enjoyed my big chunk of cash I saved up when I got out the brig and out the Navy when I hit my EAOS a few weeks later.

Sorry to hear that - glad you were able to find some upside from such a terrible loving process.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

Ugh my ship is such a loving joke. I come in this morning to find:

On every quick-acting water-tight door on the main deck.

This is where we're at. Something everybody already knows, that some people are just too loving lazy to do, and instead of just having the LPOs or whomever put it out at quarters, we hang signs like we're in loving kindergarten. So loving stupid.

lol that is embarrassing. Why isn't you command smoking the whole crew for loving something so basic up?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I swear our suppo ordered No Bread for every unrep, because that's what we had at every meal underway: NO BREAD.

You could get jelly packets and no crackers OR peanut butter and crackers, but NEVER peanut butter, crackers, and jelly packets. The jelly was for toast, you see. We had no bread for so long that the toaster element rusted by the time we DID get bread and then went out of service for the rest of the underway. Still weren't allowed jelly for the toast you couldn't make with the bread you didn't have.

what the gently caress? Who would stop you? The CS on duty?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

orange juche posted:

Now does the Navy owe him for damages is the question, since they've basically killed his career and he's been sitting in the brig instead of getting promoted etc.

Do you mean in a moral sense?

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elviscat posted:

I just found out that if you visit civilian doctors, they don't make you take all your clothes off and feel your balls and look at your nutthole, they just ask if you have any ball or butthole related complaints, it's very nice.

They also give you Albuterol instead of saying "that would end your submarine career, don't tell me that" when you say you have occasional difficulty breathing, which is even nicer.

10/10, would leave the Navy again.

None of my navy doctors ever felt my balls or looked at my bhole

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Elendil004 posted:

my HM2 corpsman with less than a year on the boat frantically looking through medical books while my partner and I are coming down off a face full of pure cocaine, numb faces, wondering if we were gonna get a needle of downers to the heart in some kind of reverse pulp fiction...

fun story that shipmate popped for weed 6 months later and was mad because his "got exposed to cocaine, get out of drug tests free" letter didn't cover weed.

You were in the SEALs???

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
gently caress all Nuclear Commands and especially gently caress the Navy, forever and ever.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
People that piss in bilges deserve the lash

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Needed those sailors back on board to field day after dinner. Whoever approved and oversaw that operation is a slob and a liability. Why the gently caress are you bringing people onboard a ship using a crane? It's literally the stupidest loving way you could possibly conceive for getting people back aboard. Everyone should get an LOI and the OOD should be demoted to ship's gimp for the remainder of their time aboard.

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

AlternateNu posted:

A FTN tattoo is more self-indulgent and sad than an actual navy tattoo.

Look at this motto rear end motherrucker

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
I would pack out energy powderer mixes from walmart for my underways to drink on watch. Every oncoming was the same thing - wake up an hour before chow to exercise amd shower -> chow -> assume the watch and pour mix into beverage -> turnover and chow -> maintenance and checkouts -> rack -> repeat. poo poo loving sucked gently caress the navy

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Is this a word filter thing? I imagine a lot of veterans, particularly in the navy, experienced some kind of unwanted sexual contact during their time in service. Banning references or discussion of that factz even if its casual, doesn't really seem in line with the sex assault helpline info in the probie

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

M_Gargantua posted:

No, its the "lol id rather be molested than do INSURV" bit

Right - people regularly joke about " sodomy and the lash" and other dated naval phrases that likely refer to nonconsensual sexual contact between people aboard sailing vessels in earlier eras. These comments seem to be exactly in line with a phrase like Stultus used, so I'm trying to digure out exactly what the distinction is.

Ultimately I think stultus was making a joke about sexual contact and not marginalizing the molestation of children. Seemed obvious to me but that may just be me.

Edit: to be clear I don't think this is some high crime or anything - just looking for clarification

Grip it and rip it fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Feb 17, 2023

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

Crab Dad posted:

Other than super serious stuff I simply don’t complain about the bad stuff i experience. I’ve dug poo poo out by hand from busted heads, 18+ hour watches due bad manning, away from my family for 366 days in a row and done some of the most pointless cleaning or busy work just not at the same scale as you full time kiddos because it’s not interesting or notable.
I simply like to point out the cool things i experience since it’s not the norm. I do work hard behind the scenes to develop contacts and good relations but that’s not very apparent either.
Carry on.

Welcome to the Chief's Mess!

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Many people wouldn't be stupid enough to sign up for a program like Nuke by 24/25. Based on my anecdotal experience they recruit heavily from the 20-22 year old college dropout lot. Another year or two i. The real world and people wouldve started finding more comfortable ways to make a buck

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020
Yall nasty

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grip it and rip it
Apr 28, 2020

McNally posted:

When a sailor makes chief does he have to buy all new uniforms or does he get them issued?

Asking for a you.

iirc they sell pancakes and take donations for shadowboxes or some poo poo like that