Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Hey shipmates do us all a favor and don't slam the gat-damned doors. It's hell on the bushings and gasket!

Can't wait to start replacing them on my AT!

Just think, if people didn't slam the doors you wouldn't have had a school and AT time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Less mahu at least.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Maybe rats was the one meal where the nobles get different food than the peasants, but it was always pretty good on a carrier. Usually dinner leftovers + breakfast stuff. Make a sandwich out of french toast, burger patty, and a cheese omelette and you have the whole rest of the night to regret it.

And hamsters are awesome, I'm pretty sure that cheese is deposited directly onto your arterial lining.

We had only an untouched full pan of canned beats for 3 nights in a row until i scooped the entire pan onto my tray and threw it out in protest.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Anita Dickinme posted:

Is there anyone one could talk to about depression/suicide prevention on a ship without any repercussions like rehab poo poo or getting kicked out? You know, asking for a friend.

Big Decks have actual real Psychologists and therapists on board. If you're on one. Honestly though, talk to anyone. A Navy career isn't worth being horribly depressed.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Boon posted:

When you joined the Navy, I had just mastered what fractions were somewhere between my first and second recess.

As a dirty enlisted I pride myself in barely comprehending numbers with a line in between them.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

squarerandom posted:

Well I spent two years on a Watchfloor so dirsup surface would be dandy as a middle ground than direct to ship. But also having a cosistent job and not missing out healthcare/paychecks for my wife and kids is a always a bonus. However when I get accepted to Actove duty, I spend a month at the NOSC without pay/benefits for my family until I get a billet lmao. The last fuckin joke.

Whats your rate again? Dirsup surface makes me think CTx.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

squarerandom posted:

CTT, so here's to hoping I get something good.

Was a Dirsup surface CTT on my first tour. Was gone...a lot. It was enjoyable but i was also young and single. You're only going to big decks so the amenities aren't bad.

PCS afloat job is loving boring and terrible. Thats why i crossrated.

Ranking from my experience:
1. Watchfloor in Colorado [9141]
2. Watchfloor anywhere else [9102]
3. Dirsup [9102 Watchfloor...on a ship]
99. Hell
456. PCS afloat [17xx series work]. Maintenance. Cranking. Ship fuckery.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Feb 5, 2017

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

DIRSUP CTTs can go to big decks.

E: as a CSG staff augment.

Thats what i wrote, right? Or am i reading my own typing dumb? We didn't augment anything but carriers and LHDs.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

squarerandom posted:

Hell ya now I can have 7th fleet BFEA ignore me from a ship now!! CO seems legit. I have no C-school though since I'm a NAT reservist, so would I go back to Pensacola most likely?

You can do the job as a 0000. Sounds like you already have been. 9102 was a joke when i went after 8 months of experience.

Not sure if 9102 offers any bonuses now.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

poopkitty posted:

I go to college for a living. Pretty much owns. VA pays my mortgage, tuition and books and also yoga pants all day.

Today I went to a meeting and got free pizza.

Stealing pizza from the mouths of poor starving college students.

Carry On.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Ain't you an IT? I'm a poo poo IT reservist and I'm getting some ok offers for work. Just make sure you got Sec+ and clearances squared away and you will be ok.
100% travel jobs are always looking for peeps.

He's an aviation noble

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Will make double sure to get some muscle relaxers or something for taps

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Forgot CTR. Communications signals

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Howard Phillips posted:

I would avoid CTT and CTR like the plague. CTT is literally watching a 30 year old TV while at sea for hours at a time.

CTN is the best for the short enlistment. You get high level clearance TSC/SCI and mostly work on shore for high level mission infastructure. Possibly work with civilian counterparts, so get direct experience.

Can be hired directly into IT role in high clearance required government or contracting job or get degree and do same with more pay.

CTT, if you get shore or direct support first, doesn't use the 40 year old refrigerator with a monitor stuck in it. The job is much nicer.

Still doesn't translate out to civilian work unless you go govvie or contractor though

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Dude I knew from CTN A school stationed in Pensacola apparently wadded his motorcycle into something and died

You can't do much if someone wants to ride retarded, but if one of your idiots prone to being dumb buys a bike, try to get him riding with non idiots to learn you don't need to show off.

http://weartv.com/news/local/driver-identified-in-deadly-motorcycle-crash

Its a straight loving road.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Dog+Track+Rd+%26+Willow+Lake+Dr,+Pensacola,+FL+32506/@30.3995843,-87.3733685

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Mar 4, 2017

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
At current command it's "mandatory" .

Not sure how much that's enforced because I'm TAD so much they never expect me to be there.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Thronde posted:

In other news, gently caress the GTC. Why do we even need this poo poo. Why isn't it like the old days of "Here's your orders, flight itinerary, and hotel info. Be there." This isn't a cost saving measure and it sure as gently caress doesn't make poo poo easier.

DTS is a loving nightmare and your DTS rep is guaranteed to be an awful person.

It works well in some agencies for travel. I swapped responsibility from the Navy and DTS to the other org as soon as I could and it's been swell.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

I did paper travel claims for everything until it was specifically illegal.

The first time I had to do DTS, I just called the help desk and had them hand-walk me through the procedure once.

Now it's just like paper travel claims: super easy 'cause I've done it a few times.

So much of my DTS experience is wrapped up with my opinions of the travel claim approver civilian.

This individual was literally the size of the hallways and if she decided she didn't like you, your claim was hosed. Forever.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

I really hate that they force you to use it.
I almost got orders cancelled because between when I put them in and when the funding got pushed, my GTCC expired.

The Rewards Points for TAD scam used to be totally great.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

less than 3 months until terminal. the navy was ok, I'm very much looking forward to not being in it tho

Fine quit. I guess I'll just keep all this bitterness for myself then.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

Yeaterday the ctn detaler and community manager visted. Once again we have been assured there is no ion retention problem. I also signed a job offer yesterday.

You mean the retention problem the civilians get incentives for?

Not that one.

Side note: The CTN detailer was surprisingly cordial when I emailed her regarding how I need to completely gently caress up my detailing timeline to interview for an assignment.

I'm expecting to get proper hosed because a detailer never says "no prob"

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Constantine XI posted:

Five years down in November, reupping for another four next month. That's all I wanted to say.

No. Stop. Don't. (I'm at ten. Not getting out til 2020 at the earliest)

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

orange juche posted:

Your rear end is done, once you're over the 10 year hill dehumanize yourself and face yourself to retirement.

Yeah but my job now is exceptionally marketable to the point that I can make enough per month getting out to offset a retirement payment.

Couldn't do that with the job years 1-7. Will work the math in 2020. Also depends on where I land for that tour.

Never not get out if that's what you want to do!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Haha wtf

In boot camp some dude kept arguing to keep his Wicca Bible w/e as if it was a Bible or something. Think he got separated in boot camp within two weeks for something else

vulturesrow posted:

Not sure if its the same thing but on USS current ship they have Heathen Services on the schedule.

I really don't care what dumbfuck deity book you wank yourself to sleep with every night. Skating off (by pretending to give a poo poo about a religion) is a Sailor's right. If the Protestants get to do it, so do the dirty heathens and atheists.

Edit: Not saying vulturesrow is shitalking dirt heathenism

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

The chanting was nice and I think i may of dozed out for most of it.

Did this twice then just spent the rest of the Sundays in the shower

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Our hot water heater was busted. Our div caught scabbies and it spread rapidly due to lack of hot water to clean clothes. Made shower times very short.

AccelerateYourLife.txt

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I'm a Prowler guy, I had a relief tube. :smug: But yes now I have to pee in a bag if I need to go while I'm flying. I actually like A-10 drivers, CJ drivers, and AWACS dudes. Compass Calls are EW brothers of course. I mostly like AWACS guys because I hate the way they get poo poo on at every Red Flag debrief ever for stuff that was in no way their fault. I saw a 1LT get savaged at one and then of the F-22 guys stood up and basically gave that rear end in a top hat the business for making GBS threads on the 1LT for no reason. It was pretty awesome.

Let me tell you about the time that the EW guys in the prowlers and E2s came to me worried about being lit up by surface to air missile systems​ that didn't exist in theater.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

I made a flip book PowerPoint of the difference between commercial navigation radar and surface to air engagement radar. Shot it out to the squadrons after a few days of them freaking out

Also pointed out that the missile systems didn't exist in the ocean. Or in the theater.

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Apr 2, 2017

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

LingcodKilla posted:

Your bad. I'm currenwnrtotiyn. At moooder mgyikldcuufyidsn either a a woworkkwrr. Having fun. Sshdhdb. Sftenntybdyjne etnenen.
I'll

Quoting for evidence in case it's needed for the roofie prosecution.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Boon posted:

I took on the CFL role in my reserve unit (171 people). How hosed am I?

I did an ACFL gig for a bit at USS 2 Commands Ago.

As long as the fatties at least tried to struggle for a sit-up without taking their hands off their shirt, I really didn't care

We work a desk job. I didn't give a gently caress. I'd rather test your words per minute on a keyboard.

I loving love being buff and studly. I tried to convince all the fatties to enjoy it as well. I'm not in the game of forcing someone to work out against their will because it doesn't end well that way for anyone.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Seqenenra posted:

All we had to do was setup an exchange server and 2 people (actual IT people) managed to somehow destroy their computers.

I uhh. Whut?
I thought only my wife has the power of spontaneously exploding technology.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
AD CTN1 went to 8%. I know a few salty CTN2s. Thats some excellent community management, community managers!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Some kid who was a BMSN cross rated into CTN and knocked out a 76 on the second class exam.

How did he screw up badly enough to be a BM in the first place?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Any Hawaii Bros have any big island suggestions? Impromptu vacation on the long weekend.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I don't know how you do it.

You can put up with a lot of poo poo after the Navy and only need half the alcohol a normal person would require

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

Staff duty.

Just make sure to cup the Admiral's balls gently enough and enjoy your last few months.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Geizkragen posted:

Alright I finally have to wear the type I nwu after years of avoiding it.

Any suggestions on boots because I have no desire to give up $130 for a Bates product.

Red wings 4473 are close enough to work. Try em on. I have some and not entirely sure if they are worth the entire price premium as they are almost as heavy and the sole isn't that much better. It was worth it to say gently caress Bates for all the torture though.

The uniform shop suede ones are lighter than the leathers if you are shore duty and no one cares.

Just be aware, moving to the type 3 your command could authorize desert boots and then you're buying new ones all over again.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Geizkragen posted:

Second NWU question (yes I've worn a flight suit for the last 14 years): is there something better than those terrible Soffee shirts?

Hanes makes an NWU colored blue tee shirt. I buy those. They sell it in the fleet store on Pearl harbor. No clue if they are in all the uniform stores.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
He has a bright future career in hide and seek.

Who was sneaking him food and water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

vulturesrow posted:

I'm not a ship dude but from what I've heard from my friends who are, and what I've seen in my current job, Hawaii is basically cancer for ships. Obviously a lot of strategic importance in having ships based there but it seems like a drat poo poo show.

Everything in Hawaii works slow, backwards, and has 30x the graft built in.