Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Dorstein posted:

A captain who figured out that up to 20% of his job can be wholesome dicking around?

Nice.

His twitter feed is actually pretty good for a CO

https://x.com/ChowdahHill/status/1742762066866221155?s=20

edit:

Hold the loving phone he has a dog on board???
https://x.com/ChowdahHill/status/1739615869443981488?s=20
https://x.com/ChowdahHill/status/1738029242737213893?s=20
https://x.com/ChowdahHill/status/1737421364993069274?s=20

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Jan 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Nick Soapdish posted:

I've got a buddy onboard who told me that he felt like the therapy dog needed a therapy dog

3000 people wanting to give you pets is a hard job

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Cerekk posted:

Normally the reason for a firing is not cleared for public release and anybody that does have information should keep it to themselves.

Only for nobles.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elviscat posted:

When I stood CDO at Bangor I had two jobs:

1: print out "important" emails, so we know the printer still works I guess?

2: Get personal calls from O5s and O6s yelling at me for typos in the daily email.

I'm cdo this week. I draft sitreps when needed. This consists of changing some dates and times in a template, then sending it to the XO who fills out the summary

The xo then sends it back to me. Then I send it to the duty IT who then sends it to some messaging gateway because it's the past.

The duty IT sends me the copy that the messaging gateway sends back to him and I send it to the XO.

Edit: I also have a real life working one way pager. No one under 35 knows what this is

Laranzu fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jan 31, 2024

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
There were like 9 emails in an otherwise dead folder of mine where retired folk decreed the death of the sea service due to this change.

How many Ativan did they have to feed the chiefs mess to get this small insignificant change through?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

Wake me up when they don’t care about facial hair and focus on uniforms that take the local climate in effect.

Short sleeve NWU in Hawaii with shorts.

Tropical whites with the longest socks ever

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

The metal tree throws electricity, which makes the electricity in the other metal tree sing.

How fast the electricity gets thrown is the frequency, how hard it gets thrown is the amplitude.

Also the ideal length of an ungrounded antenna is lambda / 4.

There you go that’s all you need to know about radio.

But what if one of the metal trees is in space and the ionosphere is cranky and the skip distance is wrong and the receiver is 45 years old and the contractor is gone and the crypto is failing.

What then what then???

Edit: just kidding half that poo poo is handled by the ETs.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Quackles posted:

Great. What's impedance?

Tricare pays for those pills

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

I have faith that I’m gonna fail it. The amount of questions dealing with recall of publication numbers and not actual IT issues was staggering. I simply can’t recall them if im not using them.

I’ve been an E6 for over 4 years now and in the reserves for 9 years. I’m pretty ok with being a decent E6 reservist whenever I show up.

Would be funny if they actually had questions on setting up your commands print queues or connecting nmci computers to the wireless or DTS or anything at all to reserve work.

No one remembers the pubs.

Charlie out!

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

lightpole posted:

https://gcaptain.com/congressman-makes-urgent-call-for-u-s-sealift-capacity-expansion-to-counter-china/

Last month Mike Gallagher sent a letter to Adm Buzby at MARAD and Phillips at TRANSCOM detailing the state of the US merchant marine and looking for next steps from each. I dunno if anything will change but it has just about every relevant stat for anyone interested and none of them are good.

Chairman of the House Select Committee on the Chinese Communist Party

I'm weirdly surprised we have one of these.

I gotta go see what other weird named committees we have

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I randomly remembered the time we got served canned peas that had a bunch of grasshoppers in it them on deployment. Man I miss the Navy.

I'd kill for the grasshopper protein after a month of only canned beats for midrats

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

ded posted:

why didnt the skipper mast him for smashing the waffle irons? that is some hosed up poo poo

If he did that he'd have an entire chiefs mess of whiny crybabies instead of just one.

Hopefully dude was on his way out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

Elviscat posted:

I dunno, fuckface was some Admiral's pet cook and advanced him directly to E7, the other Chiefs didn't like him either, and would call him a non-selectee all the time.

I straight up didn't do their haze fest and told them I disagree with it and they don't even do that to me.

Must have been quite a gem