Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Try to make it to Luxembourg, 1) because it's really pretty, and 2) just to say you've been there. It doesn't seem like there are any *direct* train paths there, though - and a bus would take a long rear end time.

There's also the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart if you've got the time. That should be easier to get to from Kaiserslautern.

Can confirm Luxembourg is a good pit stop for a day in transit elsewhere. We did Paris to Brussels stopping in Lux for a day. Was cool and good but small.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Nice, that trip you took looked sick!

I think the rough tentative route right now is looking like Portland-Bosie-Denver-Taos-OKC-Nashville-Myrtle Beach-Jax. Traveling with my for the trip Mom and she was really curious to see part of the Carolina coast.

If you’re doing this route know a few things:

95 does not go by the coast in the Carolinas. The coastal route will have a lot of two lane roads and bored LEO. Don’t speed too much. Charleston is a neat palace to walk a bit.

Savanah is worth a minor detour off 95. My favorite restaurant there is the olde pink house, but found the Paula dean restaurant (lady and sons? I forget) over rated.

The greater JAX area has some of the worst drivers I’ve personally had to deal with. Mainly inattentive lane change type stuff. Just be careful.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is this a Battletech reference or Navy reference?

Battletech had Comstar’s HQ on Hilton Head. There was a book where one of the Davons got to explore and find the secret mech base or something.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

Last night the host of the christmas dinner my gf and I were at was making cafecito. I asked for mine black. That powerful bitter taste immediately took me back to midwatch and coffee that had been on the wardroom burner since maybe lunch. Everyone else who tried it thought I was insane. My partner no longer thinks I have taste buds.

Yeah but you found Cafecito outside of the greater Miami area. So really you won Christmas

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

lightpole posted:

One of my idiot thirds swore by Gatorade and coffee. I'm just thankful for the control room espresso machine and my 0630 quiet time.

Wait USN ships have espresso machines?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

titties posted:

They told us we were going to fleet week once but then someone flooded a compartment and i spent a week at a titty bar in port canaveral instead

Ooof Canaveral titty bars look rough from the outside.

As a dirty civilian what does Fleet Week Entail and why is it a big deal?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

Stop reading my evals.

But seriously I’m very nervous about passing. I got a lot of poo poo on my plate right now.

What does it mean for your future as a Navy Seaman if you don’t pass? Are you at an up or out stage in your career or is it “didn’t pass today, maybe next year” deal?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

If/when you get that GS-11 job you mentioned you'll effectively be the Civvie equivalent of a Lieutenant so...

What was Grover again? A GS-13?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

IncredibleIgloo posted:

The mystique of Grover has grown over time, like all good sea stories. Just awhile ago I was looking back at the original Groverhause thread, and for the most part is was him posting pictures of his progress to a mostly welcome and receptive audience that was cheering him on.

I remember thinking the project and the sheer labor was impressive. Not even the process to become his own inspector was odd as I remember it. But I was largely in college or just out of it when it was going down.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

How do crews handle time zone changes? I know on transatlantic cruises they shift an hour at noon every day when they cross a TZ but does that mirror life on non-leisure ships as well?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Elviscat posted:

Submarines we'd usually just set clocks to whatever we wanted (Zulu time/GMT for Eucoms, 7th fleet headquarters/Tokyo time for Westpacs) right after we dove, time has no meaning on a submarine anyways, especially when we used to do the 18 hour rotation.

What is an 18 hour rotation and why did my body involuntarily shudder?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Grip it and rip it posted:

gently caress the logs gently caress the clock gently caress daylight savings and dont ever forget gently caress the navy

:emptyquote:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

SerthVarnee posted:

Well not in those specific positions, true.
But what about people on different boats with equal positions to the ones they are trying to fill?

Like I get that it is very important to have a guy pinching the nose of the sub so it doesn't let in water when diving.
But if I was on a different sub pinching that nose and I saw that they are willing to promote anyone who goes to pinch the nose of that sub over there (and presumably won't be allowing me to just switch boat for a career boost) I'd probably feel a bit underappreciated.

The problem as I understand it from the CG thread is that there aren’t enough junior sub nose pinchers available to fill the billets for the open sub nose pinchers. This isn’t preventing the movement from the CG equivalent of the Kitty Hawk to the CG Nimitz, it is more like across the entire CG they have 100 sub nose pincher billets, and they have 40 CG personnel available to fill those billets. Therefore the next 60 CG folk, regardless of their sub nose pinching qualifications are going to become sub nose pinchers if they want it.

If you’re on the Kitty as sub nose pincher junior grade 3 and they have a billet on the CG Nimitz for a Chief Sub Nose Pincher and you want it? Sure thing, here’s your OJT material and your quals will be done underway and no you’re not going to get 4 hours a week as study time new Chief Sun Nose Pincher.

Of course I’m a civvy so I may have mangled the metaphor here a bit.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Red Crown posted:

I'm not going to say you're wrong. I've got job interviews this week, I got into all my top master's programs. Maybe I just needed to prove to myself I could make it outside.

Also, as a noble, my quality of life is definitely better than 90-95% of sailors out there. So this isn't as bad of an idea as reenlisting.

Mods!?!

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

I’m blaming crab dad for this.

Please do the needful.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Laranzu posted:

Are you coming from an IT / Cyber background currently?

Def do Sec+ and RHSCA. Sec+ because its a requirement for a lot of federal IT jobs. RHSCA to get those linux-y skills that open you up to Linux side administration.

I've never heard of CyberOps but it looks like a decent primer on SOC jobs. Its probably very Cisco stack focused.

CEH felt like total bullshit but HR people and management do like it. It does give a bit of an introduction to hacker methodology but I was less than impressed. I took it back in like 2014 so maybe its changed.

So between CyberOps and CEH I feel like is a tossup.

As a civvie InfoSec guy who doesn’t do DoD-related work my advice is that while the CEH is beloved by HR folk, like Laranzu I’ve been less then impressed in various versions I’ve looked at. If you have any interest in networking do the CyberOps, Cisco is still incredibly popular even if it’s not ubiquitous the way it was 15 years ago.

If you’re up for it do the free training on Azure and Amazon Web Services. Cloud is the future and even having a basic grasp of the technology and terminology will help you as you transition out.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

nobody does CISSP anymore? as much as i come from the anti-cert half of the industry, it seemed decently comprehensive when i checked out the material

CISSP has undeniably been the single most valuable cert I’ve ever had. But that was 2007 (drat I’m so loving old).

It’s not an entry level cert and IME few orgs will pay for the boot camp and test. I got my then employer to foot the bill for the test after a year+ of self study using the now ancient Shon Harris and CISSP for dummies books. You also used to need a year+ of demonstrated experience in the field which again means not an entry level cert.

SEC+ seems to be the gateway now used for DOD work. CISSP is more of a capstone in this model.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

infosec in particular has a strong segment of anti-authoritarian types that despise credentialism. IT is also a relatively new industry that changes rapidly, so certs have historically had a hard time keeping up with modern practice

Coupled with the paper tigers from the late 90s and early 00s we’re a jackass with a ton of certs can’t do the loving job. This is continued with idiots thinking a ton of certs will mean they can do the job instead of unlocking the magical HR gates and getting you to the next level of an interview with someone from the hiring team.

Certs show knowledge but don’t replace experience. But interviewers need to stop looking for someone who can slot in day 1 instead of being trained up a bit so they’re effective by day 100. FFS I’ve had a role open on my team for 18 months because hiring team won’t loving get that the perfect candidate already has a job with a gently caress load less bullshit.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Flyinglemur posted:

Miles was the other cat but he passed away before I thought to take a picture of him with his award. Anyway, that was Bernie. She was a highly decorated cat.

She looks majestic.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

I turned in all my contractor stuff.

You still got paid today right?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

Mods, name change pls.

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

I had plenty of opportunities to get a behind the behind tour in many NYC locals but I am honorable and married sailor.

:911:

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Crab Dad posted:

Yes this is what it use to be.

And now it’s of yo gently caress up you’re stuck with Red?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Da fuq is a warrior sailor?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

While this likely helps him move to E6 will carry over to E7 and E8 promotions as well?