Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Another hide 'n seek?

Hopefully.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Mr. Nice! posted:

If I remember right our esteemed senior ranking naval officer said this of being a department head "there are two things I hate: ships and sailors"

At least somebody's honest.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Geizkragen posted:

I don't know poo poo about the non VFA world, but the strike aviation Navy is paying people an extra $150k+ to be fighter pilots and people are still saying nope. We haven't had enough DHs two years running now.

See if you can jump to the AF. They're paying $432k if you do the full 9 year re-up. It's not helping retention

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Looks like the report was released in conjunction with this news:

Top two officers and other sailors aboard the USS Fitzgerald to be disciplined following deadly collision at sea

Sure would be nice if it served as a wake up call about the systemic, fleet-wide training issues that The Valley Stared was talking about, but we all know how likely that is.

Ship didn't sink. The system works fine.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We'll see who's right.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Sir Lucius posted:

They should also punish whoever made him the CO.

:lol: Yeah that's how this works.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Holy poo poo. That's an incredible find.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

LordNad posted:

http://imgur.com/a/WjpXF

Behold the Lite Brite!

The last time I remember ATs trying to get one of these to boot up, it caught fire.

That'd fit in on an E-3. Those 1960s computers are slowly being replaced, a couple of jets per year. The reel-to-reel "hard drive" was replaced by a reel-to-reel emulator in the late 90s, that's the only real computer upgrade it's had since 1971 until the current block upgrade.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Also from aviation, if you made SWOs spend their first two years studying ships, driving little training ships, and running ship simulators, with a standardized training syllabus, all before they ever set foot on a fleet ship, they'd probably be pretty loving good at driving ships.

And then they'd jerk off ashore for 6-18 months and forget everything while the wing struggles to keep 3 jets airworthy.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

They are squawking any time they're in controlled airspace, outside of military airspace. But usually even then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

There's nothing expensive about an LCS.

Casualties in a shooting war will be.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

PneumonicBook posted:

And that's really the issue. They keep adding poo poo but since these are supposed to be cheap and expendable you get cheap expendable systems. Bthen the sailor shows up and asks why x doesn't work like it does on uss loving multi billion dollar warship and I have to not have a brain aneurysm.

The problem with cheap and expendable is that anti-ship missiles are cheaper and more expendable. And if your cheap and expendable ship can't effectively protect itself, welp, I hope the crew was cheap and expendable too.

LCS are gross overkill for loving pirate patrols, too. You could've built a cheaper frigate without the nonsensical modular ideas and some off-the-shelf EW systems for basic self-protection in case of a real "oh poo poo" moment, and it would've been half the cost.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Which you're not using an LCS for.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

All I remember from my childhood there in the early 80s is Kmart. I imagine it hasn't been updated in appearance or stock since then.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

It's not just the contractors vs AD piece, though that's probably part of it. But the low stocks of parts (because keeping a warehouse of stuff is wasteful! Thanks, BRAC), and low numbers of maintainers are giving the AF similar problems. I've seen MR rates in the toilet during actual combat operations while maintenance guys were working around the clock just to try to keep us above the 50% mark. And we usually had the parts available, at least.

Old planes, no spares, insufficient personnel.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

But businesses show that low overhead is more cost effective. :downs:

Because that's what matters.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Which makes flight ops at Fallon loving hilarious to watch.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

We still have signs around here saying Pokemon Go is not authorized on the base.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

There's also a countermeasures ship USS Patriot. Hmm....

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I think you guys are really underestimating how hard that "No" can really be.

Let's pretend you've got an air wing that during workups has several days with near mid-air collisions due to mediocre airmanship. Let's pretend the aggressors win as often as they lose. Air-to-surface targets are not effectively serviced because weaponeering skills are lacking, as is aerial proficiency.

"Here are the results CAG."
"Well, clearly we're not ready to deploy. Put the CSG on hold, let me make some calls to get another $3-5M so we can run through another 4 weeks of workups."

Get loving real.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Geizkragen posted:

The culture in aviation tends towards brutally honest self-assessment and there are no shortage of reps for aircrew going on deployment. Even fdnf aircrew are getting lots of looks at the full range of missions.

Not enough. In another environment I can go into detail, but naval aviation is not where it thinks it is and it's sure as poo poo not where it acts like it is.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Man, I wish we were just pretending...

I've been considering for a while making an effortthread on training, funding, readiness, etc in the wake of this recent Summer of Hell. I think there could be some good discussion there as long as I can figure out how to make it OPSEC-friendly.

I don't know where you fit into this one, but it was pretty rough compared to most of the others I've seen. But one of wing's O-6s loving gets it. He stood up at the end of a mass debrief and laid it out there...it was not a "hey we're getting through this" or a "you'll do better next time" or even a "hey, it's Fallon amirite?" speech. It was a candid and accurate assessment of where they were as professional combat aviators and how their performance was likely to serve them if the poo poo hits the fan. I wanted to loving applaud when he was done.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Geizkragen posted:

Other than knowing that you live in the same poo poo hole I just left I don't know where you fit in either. Until recently I was part of the group delivering the asskicking you were describing.

Airwings have been having those moments for a couple of years now.

I'd like to believe that there's a whole lot of "back in my day" nostalgia going but there is a whole team of outside people contracted to give the Navy feedback on how the fleet is performing and I've seen the raw numbers across the whole work up cycle. It's not pretty and everyone knows it.

I think you might be conflating our standard wings of gold bravado with an actual belief that we're good at anything but landing on a boat. Sequestration hosed the fleet and the secaf and the cno aren't lying or engaging in hyperbole when they talk about another round breaking the force.

I'm part of Strike. I know there are a lot of people who can look at this from a realistic perspective, but I've made several people mad by bringing it up; typically at or near the sq xo level, and one O-6 that I have no idea who he was and was pleasantly surprised it didn't blow up in my face. There's a lot of head-burying going on, especially as Hook rolled around, but there are a bunch of people a couple of paygrades too junior to do anything about it who can see the writing on the wall.

vulturesrow posted:

First of all you, you are talking about a completely different thing than the poster you are responding to. And as for your assessment of Naval Aviation, even if I assume that your pessimistic assessment is really true, we are still leagues ahead of the surface world in terms of self-assessment, etc. The surface force is inching in the right direction but have a long ways to go.

I think your branch of aviation has a better handle on reality than some of the others. But as far as being a different thing...no, not the part I'm talking about. There aren't many O-5/O-6/O-7 types willing to look at the 3 or 4 star and say "The people I am responsible for training to combat readiness are not fit for real world operations." It doesn't matter what pin they wear.

Also this air wing had a pretty hosed up schedule, which I think was from high up on the CAG side. The schedule did not at all do them any favors.

Godholio fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Sep 22, 2017

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Sequestration and the ongoing budgetary fuckery of endless continuing resolutions don't get enough blame for utterly gutting readiness and training. Those "cost saving" measures are going to end up costing a lot more money, lives, or both in order to get things back to a level that actually supports our national military goals.

They already are.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I've seen more Admirals this week than I've ever seen before. Apparently folks are real interested in keeping 7th fleet from playing bumper boats with their ships.

Eh. I think most of them are more interested in keeping out of the news, and actual safety is just a side effect.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Because if you're a USN ship and you're radiating, you are being tracked.

Edit: And not in a friendly "Just keeping an eye on everything to make sure it's all safe" kind of way. In a "let's absorb every electron that comes off that boat for analysis, and also measure how fast it can turn, slow down, accelerate, and maybe even see what their shift schedule is, and maintain as much information for targeting as we can until they stop broadcasting their location" kind of way.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

FrozenVent posted:

While I understand your concern, we're talking about navigation radars here. I don't think the US Navy uses anything fancy for that; I think Furunos were mentioned up thread.

If you're in a situation where you don't want to be tracked then yes, by all mean turn off the radar and the AIS. Doing that in the strait of Malacca is ill advised.

Military planes landing at civilian airports turn on their transponders don't they? The area where the McCain and Alnic collided is the maritime equivalent of the airspace around O'Hare.

Military aircraft that are on operational missions are subject to different rules. And they're generally not landing at civilian airfields.

I'm also not saying they should never flip the switch to "on." I'm saying that they have different rules, and for good reason.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

One ping only.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

If we're conducting these surveys and not acting on them, what's the point.

If you're dumb enough to attach your name, the point can become what the Air Force was calling "force shaping" in a "fiscally constrained and overmanned environment."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

That's the kind of thing I'm talking about when I say the Navy does a lot of things better than the AF.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

I remember hearing a saying that went "If there's not a rule forbidding it, you can do it in the Navy. In the Air Force, just assume it's written down somewhere, and don't do it."

It's almost certainly written down. There are so many AFIs, which all have MAJCOM supplementals, which have Wing (sometimes Numbered AF as well) supplementals, and then OGIs to reinterpret all that, then squadron policies, there's no room for innovation anywhere.

Anyway, back to NAVCHAT.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

This is making me kind of happy I decided to not go for bombers before the cutoff age because I wasn't sure about eyesight guidelines.

Anyway, speaking of something that sounds like surveys/focus groups were involved: http://screenrant.com/top-gun-2-maverick-navy-modern/

The Navy is very different now than it was in 1986. Back then, they hadn’t been in any war for 15 or 20 years at that point. The tone of that movie and what those guys were doing was very different. Now, here in 2017, the Navy’s been at war for 20 years. It’s just a different world now, so you can’t remake the first movie. It has to adapt. That being said, I certainly want to recreate the experience of that movie, which gives you a front-seat into the world of Naval aviation and what it’s like to be in a fighter jet. The approach is going to be appropriate for the times we live in.

So in other words, every pilot fresh out of the RAG is going to be shorter than Tom Cruise, and all of the middle-aged ones are going to be doing nothing but talking about what airline they want to fly for. Sounds like a really fun movie. And evidently "Maverick" did one hell of a transition when they shitcanned the turkeys: http://screenrant.com/tom-cruise-top-gun-2-helicopter-training/

I guess that puts to rest the belief he'd be an Admiral in the sequel, because helo pilot flag officers are pretty loving rare.

:laffo:

I hope Kelly McGillis plays his ex-wife claiming his whole retirement and raising their three kids after divorcing him in the Tailhook aftermath, which is also responsible for his career change.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

DoktorLoken posted:

Not to mention how is it in any way plausible that he'd be still flying (as a military member) after 30+ years?

It's not.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Ceiling fan posted:

Cross posting from the Air Force thread.

AF fighter pilot bonus is up to $455,000 now. $432k didn't work, so I doubt this will.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

BIG HEADLINE posted:

*orders ~1,700 F-35As, can't find enough pilots to eventually fly them*

Hope you don't mind being forcibly transitioned (to the inevitable mini AWACS variant), G. :v:

I danced out the door in 2012. Navy contractor now.

Edit: I'd have taken that career change in a hearbeat. Fighter dudes fly once a week or more for currency. Once we hit "experienced" status it was 3 flights in a rolling 90 day period, and the rest of your time was basically shoving your balls in a woodchipper.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I've never seen a contractor get recognized. GSes, yes.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

:lol: It ain't 2006 anymore, salary-wise. And whatever the government is paying, the employee is getting a fraction.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

I was an AWACS controller, not a pilot. I wouldn't be terribly surprised if they wanted to recall us though...they booted/released a lot of people in 2011/12/13/14. So many people are getting out as O-3s (as the commitment expires) that O-2s are flying in positions previously held by O-4s...there just aren't enough left.

They brought volunteer retirees back on active duty in 2010 because there weren't enough O-4s/O-5s, so it really wouldn't surprise me.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

He was a flight engineer...not much need for a recall there either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

The only way it could've recaptured anything from the original was if Maverick had transitioned to Hornets in the 90s, retired, and got hired on at Boeing/Lockmart as a test pilot and takes an F-35 into combat for some bizarre reason.

Instead he's allegedly a helo pilot. Because of course, however the gently caress that makes sense.