Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Got my bags backed and my ticket ready, I officially leave for Newport tomorrow! Thank you everyone for your advice and help I've really appreciated it.

All goes well in 12 weeks I'll be a fresh O-1!

Looking forward to hearing how much wake-up wednesday sucked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LingcodKilla posted:

Oh dear. Reporting for a long drill weekend in San Diego and my MC says to wear our digies "cause you gonna get dirty".
I am clueless what that even implies to an IS unit. I'm guessing janitorial work.

I'm guessing painting, and seconding the recommendation to have a set of coveralls handy.

Though I guess if aquaflage is going the way of the dodo soon, it probably doesn't matter much if you get them paint splattered.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

no bones about it posted:

Soon is still plenty enough time to have an inspection and WHY THE gently caress DO YOU HAVE A PAINT-SPLATTERED UNIFORM SHIPMATE?!?!

Oh absolutely, if someone's enough of a douche to make people paint in aquaflage, they're more than enough douche to do a uniform inspection (is that even a thing for aquaflage? Seriously?) the next month.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Maybe rats was the one meal where the nobles get different food than the peasants, but it was always pretty good on a carrier. Usually dinner leftovers + breakfast stuff. Make a sandwich out of french toast, burger patty, and a cheese omelette and you have the whole rest of the night to regret it.

And hamsters are awesome, I'm pretty sure that cheese is deposited directly onto your arterial lining.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"We are the premiere tactical aviation training facility for the most powerful navy on the planet. We train aviators to strike anywhere in the world, any time. Unless it's snowing. gently caress dat."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Our training was thankfully mostly dull rather than extremely awkward (I was expecting the worst after the last SAPR training with those godawful videos). The base CO did a pretty good job at the beginning of laying it out - "we did this with blacks, we did this with women, we did this with gays. Nobody gives a poo poo what you think, it's going to happen and it's not going to be a big deal." Then it's like 45 minutes of narrated powerpoint slides explaining uniform regulations and DEERS admin throughout the transition process.

Normally if I see a penis in the men's locker room then something has gone wrong, so I can't imagine many trans women being super eager to start swinging it around in the women's room.

Sir Lucius posted:

"What the gently caress ever, I don't care," is my overall Navy training policy.

I really wanted to claim a religious exemption from the training as a Unitarian. "I promise I'm cool with this, it's entirely in line with my religious beliefs, can I please skip it?"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So this is a thing that happened:

Oops. Using wrong oil damaged three $80 million Navy planes, requiring 6 new engines

quote:

Days before the aircraft carrier USS George H.W. Bush set out from Norfolk last month, the Navy had to scramble to fix a major problem with the ship’s squadron of early warning, command and control aircraft.

The engines on three of the squadron’s four E-2C Hawkeyes had been damaged and needed to be replaced.

The culprit?

The wrong oil was used in each $80 million twin-turboprop aircraft.

“The damage occurred over a period of time and it involved the use of a lubricant not approved or specified for these engines,” Naval Air Force Atlantic spokesman Mike Maus said in response to questions from The Virginian-Pilot. “A thorough investigation is being conducted to determine how and why this procedure was allowed.”

Should be an interesting read when the investigation report comes out.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Laranzu posted:

He's an aviation noble

An NFO, the most useless of designators for careers outside the Navy.

That being said, I did talk with a contractor a while back at a conference that said there were a lot of companies who were eager to hire WTIs, with the caveat that you're still involved with the exact same poo poo that you did while in. You're just not required to work on weekends or shave every day.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Howard Phillips posted:

AAR: TAP Class is a colossal waste of time if you have even half a brain

I don't know how you could have expected anything else. I can count the number of useful classes I've attended on one hand, and still have enough fingers free to hold a beer.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LingcodKilla posted:

Wait... San Diego is kinda nice for a change of pace from Kitsap county... gently caress.

Went to San Diego this week for a conference. The "VIP Suite" at the Point Loma NGIS was $6 more than the regular rooms, and boasted a "beachfront view balcony".

I think I got my $6 worth.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Hey hey everyone! Three months later and I just graduated OCS! Next stop Pensacola Florida for aviation training! I wanted to thank everyone here again for all the advice they gave me for making it through the program. My next goal is to be a competent JO who doesn't bumble through everything or screw things up badly for the people I might end up in charge of.

Congrats. How lovely was Newport in the winter?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

maffew buildings posted:

Vulture you're an NFO, yeah? I have questions about accelerating my future. Actually I could use assistance from any NFO in that regard. Namaste.

edit: My racism avatar :(

vulturesrow posted:

Yup, and so is Wingnut Ninja. I'm a cheap bastard who doesn't have PMs but feel free to hit me up at my forums name at geemail dot com. Let me know if you do so I can check spam.

Yeah, feel free to shoot me a PM with any NFO questions too.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

So, dumb question, my orders say my report date is to be no earlier than the 3rd and no later than the 7th. I'm flying down to Pensacola today. Does this mean if I get to base today I'm allowed to just chill in the Gateway for a couple days while I wait for the rest of my classmates to trickle in so we can report all at once, or do I have to report to the quarter deck right away on the 3rd?

It's up to you, you're not required to check in until the 7th, but unless you're planning on leaving the local area this week, I'd recommend checking in on the 3rd and saving those leave days for when you really want them. I don't know where API is currently on the sliding scale of "be chill" to "full retard" (it's a cyclical thing based on how recently some dumb fucker did some dumb fucker thing), but if you check in early you're probably, at most, spending 10 minutes mustering each morning, and maybe getting a head start on some of the admin stuff. Or they may just log you in and tell you to come back on Friday.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

The greatest threat to American naval operations is NMCI.

I've been trying for a while to think of a snarky sarcastic counter-proposal for something like contract maintenance or the like, but I honestly can't. It's NMCI, absolutely. I'm not even going to get into all the myriad ways that NMCI is awful, just... gently caress NMCI. Forever.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
China isn't completely blacklisted for travel, but it does take a lot of paperwork to approve. It would be even more of a pain in the rear end to get it + a passport done during OCS, but it should still be possible if he works through his chain of command. They don't let you off base to go get Starbucks, but for legitimate admin stuff they should be more accommodating.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mr. Nice! posted:

USS Fitzgerald crashed into a merchant ship.

U.S. Navy Destroyer Collides With Merchant Vessel Off Coast Of Japan

At least this one ran into another ship, and not the entire nation of Japan like the Antietam did.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
That's loving amazing. Serious respect for you and your crew.

Mr. Nice! posted:

Holy poo poo was the OOD off loving the conn and the ship running on auto pilot or something while boats and the helmsman took a nap?

This is one of those questions that I would also love to know, but is also the kind of thing TVS absolutely can't answer right now.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So I got sent to Norfolk this week at the last minute for a conference. I was never actually told when and where exactly to show up. The best I got was instructions to wander around a certain building and ask people if I was in the right spot. The best part is, it didn't even seem odd for how these kind of things often work. :chiefsay:

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I was in CVW-2 when we got our deployment obliterated by sequestration in 2013.

The furthest I've ever gotten is Hawaii, where we had a 10 day port call prior to RIMPAC. I've literally never set foot on foreign soil since I joined the Navy.

For half of RIMPAC I was back on shore working at the CAOC. Staying in a luxury hotel in downtown Honolulu.

It's a little awkward these days when someone starts a conversation with "you know how when you're in 5th fleet..." and I have to stop them to say "no, I don't". But overall, it was a pretty loving awesome gig. I highly recommend getting sequestered prior to any real deployment.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

orange juche posted:

One of these things is not like the others

Yeah, nobody ever died from an overdose of cannabinoids.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

Nearest [anything] is almost 3 hours way, in another state.

nevada.txt

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
30,000 MISSING EMALS

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Enjoy the Central American microbes on your counter-narcotics dets. Try not to get murdered by drug cartels.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Commoners posted:

I thought the whole point of most of the impossible tasks in chief initiation is so that they reach out to their fellow selectees and actually network to get things done. Dude doesn't know BM linework, so he should reach out to a BM selectee or a BMC to either learn or get it done.

Outsourcing stupid tasks to a junior sailor is a pretty pro :chiefsay: move, sounds like he's earned his anchors. Roll that poo poo downhill.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Looks like the report was released in conjunction with this news:

Top two officers and other sailors aboard the USS Fitzgerald to be disciplined following deadly collision at sea

quote:

Military.com | 17 Aug 2017 | by Richard Sisk
The commander of the destroyer USS Fitzgerald and the executive officer have been permanently detached from the ship and face non-judicial punishment over the deadly collision in June with a container ship, the Navy announced Thursday.

Cmdr. Bryce Benson, commander of the Fitzgerald, and Cmdr. Sean Babbitt, the executive officer, are "being detached for cause," meaning that the Navy "has lost trust and confidence in their ability to lead," Adm. Bill Moran, Vice Chief of Naval Operations, said during a press conference.

Vice Adm. Joseph Aucoin, commander of the 7th Fleet, has also decided that the top enlisted sailor aboard the Fitzgerald and several other sailors on the watch crew at the time of the collision on June 17 will also face non-judicial punishment, Moran said.

Sure would be nice if it served as a wake up call about the systemic, fleet-wide training issues that The Valley Stared was talking about, but we all know how likely that is.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ManMythLegend posted:

I don't think they're talking about DC.

Yeah, the DC was great, don't get me wrong. For the bigger question of "how did this happen and how do we prevent it from happening again", there's a lot more to be done than just sacking the senior leadership and calling it mission accomplished.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LordNad posted:

Now imagine trying to manually mark each contact in that swarm. After a certain point, the lag between marking your scope and the contact appearing is 5-15 seconds and only getting worse until everyone's station locks up.

I have to imagine the target tracker on a P-3 being roughly the same power as a TI-86 calculator. E-2's had a similar problem until they upgraded the mission computer in the mid-90's (they make RAM in megabytes now? Amazing!).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Also from aviation, if you made SWOs spend their first two years studying ships, driving little training ships, and running ship simulators, with a standardized training syllabus, all before they ever set foot on a fleet ship, they'd probably be pretty loving good at driving ships.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mr. Nice! posted:

Two years is overkill especially since all naval officers are supposed to be doing that kind of stuff their last few years as a MIDN via NROTC or at the academy. Six months or so is about where I think people would need and then time on station to qualify under the supervision of their captain.

Two years would make sure they're really, really good, but yeah, I'm not saying copy the exact timeline outright. And they definitely don't get that training going through OCS; I'd be willing to bet that ROTC also has a wide variety in the level of boat driving that middies get.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

buttplug posted:

I didn't get any of that poo poo going through OCS. Baby SWOS was an absolute joke and amounted to nothing more than classroom academics and rote memorization (rules of the road). Also, the six semesters of naval science you're referring to that gets fed to OCS classes over the span of several weeks is also done when people are literally running on 3-4 hours of sleep for several weeks on end. It absolutely does not replicate nor replace hands-on training and sure as poo poo doesn't begin to approach a thoughtful, practical training pipeline vis-a-vis prototype, flight school, or BUD/s.

I've literally learned more about naval engineering and navigation from Youtube than I did from the handful of sleep-deprived lectures I got at OCS. I think we're vehemently agreeing at this point, but plussing up SWOS to be the rough equivalent of flight school or all that nuke bullshit is like the bare minimum of what should be done.

Also I'd really love to take some courses on celestial navigation because there's just so much clever math and engineering that goes into it that I've always admired it.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Laranzu posted:

They have the capability, and I've seen them broadcasting as US WARSHIP . If you go to a vessel tracking site and drop that in, you get results.

Sometimes they do WARSHIP ### where the ### is the hull number

Did it a bunch during the anti piracy operations in the Gulf of Aden

I once saw a US WARSHIP track off the coast of San Diego with a reported length of 330-something meters and beam of 100-something meters. With a bunch of aircraft circling overhead. Real mystery what that was.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Boon posted:

Well, my second ship had it's rudder fall off.

ITT rudders fall off of Navy things.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
So how's that readiness going in VT land

Navy's Kingsville base unable to evacuate most T-45 jets before Hurricane Harvey hits

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Hey, never flying at all is the cheapest option!

MrYenko posted:

It blows my mind that the military runs a last-minute logistics chain on aircraft spares. Like, it's cheaper when run properly, yes, but it doesn't take kindly to interference like other people trying to break your stuff and kill your people.

I had more flight-critical spares at a fly-by-night part 135 cargo airline than what I hear is standard from some acquaintances in the local ANG squadron.

Our planes are routinely down for several weeks at a time, stuck in a process of order part -> wait several days for part -> part didn't fix the problem -> order the next part -> wait several days -> repeat.

And that's when there's a part available in the system at all. We've got one plane with a bad Link 16 terminal that maintenance was like :shrug: who knows when one will be available. Those things are 1980's hardware and are probably being refurbished by a 70 year old guy in his garage in Florida.

e: I'll add that this is a non-deploying shore duty station with understaffed contract maintenance, of whom very few have any prior experience with Hawkeyes. Fleet squadrons do have better priority for parts and more competent maintainers.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Well, the safety stand down today was pretty much as expected. Let's review ORM, because if there's any human error component to these mishaps, then by god it must mean that more ORM will fix it. Let's gloss over the fact that the human is a lot more prone to make errors when he's dealing with a slew of equipment failures and degrades on his old as poo poo jet after having flight hours and maintenance slashed to a bare minimum. I particularly loved the chart that shows mishap rates steadily climbing after 2013, when sequestration started some of the most egregious cuts to readiness.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

Let's pretend you've got an air wing that during workups has several days with near mid-air collisions due to mediocre airmanship. Let's pretend the aggressors win as often as they lose. Air-to-surface targets are not effectively serviced because weaponeering skills are lacking, as is aerial proficiency.

Man, I wish we were just pretending...

I've been considering for a while making an effortthread on training, funding, readiness, etc in the wake of this recent Summer of Hell. I think there could be some good discussion there as long as I can figure out how to make it OPSEC-friendly.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

I don't know where you fit into this one, but it was pretty rough compared to most of the others I've seen. But one of wing's O-6s loving gets it. He stood up at the end of a mass debrief and laid it out there...it was not a "hey we're getting through this" or a "you'll do better next time" or even a "hey, it's Fallon amirite?" speech. It was a candid and accurate assessment of where they were as professional combat aviators and how their performance was likely to serve them if the poo poo hits the fan. I wanted to loving applaud when he was done.

I'm a Hawkeye instructor. Like you said, there were a lot of unique reasons why this air wing had some issues, though it probably isn't the worst overall that I've seen. It's definitely not unique in the legacy of "CAG has a Good Idea, Strike tells him that's not a Good Idea, CAG goes ahead anyway, failure ensues". The simple fact that there's a dedicated training venue for that kind of thing puts it way ahead of the surface world; we're still trying to teach SWOs the concept of a "debrief" after executing a training mission, so that people can actually learn and improve. There's probably a point where the CAG or CSG admiral needs to be able to say "nope, we're not ready", but I don't think Fallon is necessarily the hill to die on for that.

Sequestration and the ongoing budgetary fuckery of endless continuing resolutions don't get enough blame for utterly gutting readiness and training. Those "cost saving" measures are going to end up costing a lot more money, lives, or both in order to get things back to a level that actually supports our national military goals.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Elendil004 posted:

In today's navy, does the CAG lead strikes or is it much more of a paperwork and just fly to maintain quals position?

For training missions and normal, everyday operations, the latter. CAG, when he does fly, will usually fly as a wingman or towards the back end of the formation, allowing more junior guys (i.e. everyone else in the airwing) to get some experience leading. Or he'll take the recovery tanker mission and spend an hour orbiting overhead the carrier enjoying the view.

That being said, for a no-poo poo, day one, kicking off the war kind of strike, CAG is probably going to be right up front, with other senior officers (squadron COs/XOs) backing him up. There's no substitute for having The Man Himself in the fight when there's a judgment call to be made.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

McNally posted:

Is the poop deck really what I think it is?

Promote that man!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
"You can't make a computer program that does what moboards do. It's just too complex." - something my OCS moboards instructor literally said to my class.

That was the day I learned that the Navy does not send its best and brightest officers to teach OCS.