Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

M_Gargantua posted:

Somewhere a monkeys paw curls, and USCG cutter inexplicably heads west into the open Pacific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2017/10/09/i-now-hate-my-ship-surveys-reveal-disastrous-morale-on-cruiser-shiloh/

The Navy Times article made me really sad.

If we're conducting these surveys and not acting on them, what's the point.

My congresswoman is super active on the subject of veteran mental health and suicide, there needs to be an investigation of punitive actions against people who report suicidal thoughts.

I've had a CO who basically decided "yeah, we're not going to do a climate survey right now" because he knew he would be loving crucified in it.

I'm pretty surprised that you can get those surveys via a FOIA request, though.

Godholio posted:

If you're dumb enough to attach your name, the point can become what the Air Force was calling "force shaping" in a "fiscally constrained and overmanned environment."

There's nowhere to even put your name on the survey, unless you specifically write in the comments "I'm BM3 Fuckwad and I think the CO should eat a bag of dicks."

Even if they do that, all the responses get processed by the Big Navy CMEO office or whatever it is (DEOCS?) and that sort of comment should be filtered out before it gets presented back to the command.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

DinosaurWarfare posted:

You do, however, put your rank and ethnicity. If you happen to be the only black/Asian/whatever E8 or O1 does that not narrow down your identity to the CO?

I always kind of wondered the same thing, but they actually added some language in the most recent version I saw to address this. It basically says that demographic data isn't correlated with responses, so the CO doesn't get told "100% of the female E-8's in your command have very low confidence in you".

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Lou Takki posted:

Bunch of camouflaged dweebs playing with each other's swords.

The hard on the uniformed services have for camouflage in completely dumb situations is ridiculous. See: Navy blue camo

Blue is getting phased out. It's guacamole green now.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

The only way it could've recaptured anything from the original was if Maverick had transitioned to Hornets in the 90s, retired, and got hired on at Boeing/Lockmart as a test pilot and takes an F-35 into combat for some bizarre reason.

Instead he's allegedly a helo pilot. Because of course, however the gently caress that makes sense.

Well, I know there's at least one guy who did the opposite, going from helos to fighters. Maybe a balance needs to be maintained.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Red Crown posted:

During this underway I just walked off of, there was peanut butter, jelly, and bread. None of these things were available in the same place on the same day until the day before we pulled in.

Somewhere, someone knew. They did it just to hurt people.

I wouldn't be surprised if the rationale was along the lines of "if we put out all three at the same time, people will make PBJ and eat all of it. If we put them out separately, the demand goes way down and the supplies last longer". I heard the same mindset with good cereal that was hidden away: "if we just put it out on the racks, people will eat it!"

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

LogicalFallacy posted:

Good day goons. Thought I'd go ahead and introduce myself here and acquaint myself with the place, as I have just signed up for the Navy. Current MOS is AECF, though I should be getting reclassed as NUC in the next week or so.

I am open to any suggestions or hints on poo poo that's a drat good idea to do/take care of before I go to basic in May.

I have a feeling I know what the #1 hint is going to be.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Godholio posted:

What people need to realize (before signing their name) is that if there's a huge amount of money being thrown at people for taking Job X, it's because Job X is loving horrible for one reason or another.

Like being a pilot.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Today at work has been a big session of "reminisce about all the ways you've drawn dicks in a plane before". In the E-2 it usually revolves around what you plot on the scope; so for example, if you have a specific contact of interest but are also really bored, you slave some circles and ovals to the track so everyone gets to watch a dick flying around on the screen.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

Fyi, if you haven't heard, the pilot was a female. I can't guarantee this is true but my source is fairly reliable.

That's amazing if true. I was literally joking about this with my parents this weekend. Me: "now remember, there's no reason to assume the pilot was male". Mom: "I feel pretty safe making that assumption."

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Dick artists keep their wings, get six months of "probation", which I guess means... don't draw any more dicks? Or they get to stand non-stop duty for the next six months.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Salt water seems like it would be terrible for forging metal. You're going to end up with a pile of rust.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
When our 2013 deployment got canceled thanks to sequestration, my air wing made up "A local force for good" non-cruise patches.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I would join up if I got a master chief suit of armour

Apparently you only get a demented version of Cortana that sends out emails about who just had a baby, community service opportunities, and "NEWS U CAN USE" that now gets automatically forwarded to my trash folder.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

MrMojok posted:

What do all the “shot on deck” calls mean in that anchor video, and what happened there?

Anchor chains are measured off in 90 foot lengths called shots, so it's marking off how much of the chain has been let out. Each shot has a specially marked link connecting it to the next so you can tell what shot you currently have paying out.

In that video that whatever brake mechanism is supposed to regulate the release of the chain failed, and it let it all out at once. Once it all runs out (with a shitload of momentum built up), it rips out from the point where it's attached to the ship (known as the bitter end, which is the origin of that idiom) and the entire chain and anchor gets dumped into the briny deep.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mr. Nice! posted:

Likewise, JSM's collision was caused by a skipper's hubris, an inexperienced helm, and a general lack of casualty response on the part of the watchstanders. More time in a sim isn't going to help if the people can't grab the red loving book next to the helm and use it properly.

I don't know what exactly a SWO sim usually entails, but would more sims and drills really not have helped with the JSM? It seemed like at least part of the problem was the buffoonery with transferring steering control in a panicked situation. You mention an inexperienced helm and casualty response, which are two things that, in aviation at least, sims are a great help for. The first thing I thought when I read the JSM report was that it sounded like a sim scenario gone bad.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Okay, clarify something for an ignorant aviator: on a five-and-dime watch rotation, does that mean that each individual person is standing watch every 5 hours in 15, or does that just mean that each duty section has to cover watches during that period, and individual people don't necessarily get a watch each time. Because if it's the former, I don't understand how a human being from the planet Earth could possibly think that's a good way to do business.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

KetTarma posted:

It's better than 6 and 6s.

That's where you do 6 hours on, 6 hours off. If it's working hours, you're working when you're off watch.

I have gone days without sleep and didn't think that much of it.

Well sure, for nukes it's obviously going to be the worst possible case, but

Stultus Maximus posted:

It's surface Navy. Of course it's 5 on and 10 off for everyone in the watch section.

:(

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CMD598 posted:

Nothing for aviation?

It would be even more dysfunctional than than the ship manning; we've got an assortment of NFOs and aircrewmen, and a few pilots who fly aircraft that don't use NFOs.

Actually there are some P-3 guys around, not sure if there's a pilot but we could probably kludge together a crew for that. I call dibs on the radar.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

tacopie posted:

Can we afford to feed you?

https://www.amazon.com/PACK-Crayola-64-Crayons-52-0064/dp/B00OQJEDUE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1515117749&sr=8-5&keywords=crayola+crayons

Doesn't seem all that expensive.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FrozenVent posted:

I ever get to name ships, I'm naming them AIS Malfunction, Radar Clutter, Test Contact, Next Upbound, Next Downbound, Underway Sailing, Stand-On Vessel, Red Tanker (Actually a blue bulker) and Blue Container Ship (A red tanker). Oh and the "Ownship" class. Ownship Vector, Ownship Track, Ownship Ghost, Ownship Position...

gently caress it, let the world burn.

Don't forget the renowned MV ~~~~~~~~.

I've had a very similar conversation about naming airspace control measures; ROZ Hott, NFA Closed, an orbit named Tanker (for ISR) and an orbit named ISR (for tankers).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

I'm fairly certain Wingnut Ninja is pretty familiar with the nav fixes around the Pensacola airspace.

It's pretty fuzzy by now. All I can remember is the fix over Mobile bay that you can cheat just by flying towards the oil platform (TRADR).

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The Valley Stared posted:

But hey! According to Admiral Davidson, we just need to learn how to work better when we're fatigued, right? That will fix all of our problems.

And if junior officers could just get off their asses and innovate, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

No, not like that.

Not that either.

Look, just... generate solutions, okay? Do I have to spell it out for you?

I forget where exactly I heard that in the last six months, but it was definitely one of the lines that stuck with me.

On a more serious note, that goes completely counter to the notion of "maybe aviation has some ideas that we could learn from" that has been batted around by various admirals.

For example: every four years, every aviator has to get refresher training on aviation physiology and survival procedures. Now, while a SWO doesn't necessarily need to know how to execute a parachute landing or the warning signs of hypoxia, the training has a lot of good information on all kinds of physiological hazards. Not just fatigue, but things like optical illusions, nutrition, and complacency. I have to imagine a lot of that would apply just as equally to driving a ship. The data's all there, it just needs leaders willing to accept reality.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Kebekwah

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
This seems like it would have been an especially lovely winter to spend in boot camp. Y/N?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

boy are my arms tired posted:

most repeated meal was atlantic cod or chicken cordon bleu

food was good overall

Hamsters are one of the high points of Navy dining. Also probably one of the most unhealthy things you can put in your body aside from literal poison, but so, so delicious.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

orange juche posted:

God I loved me some fried hamsters. Gotta figure out who the Navy buys them from so I can get a case.

I've seen boxes of them in the freezer section at Safeway. I haven't tried them but the pictures look identical to what you get at the galley.

You really need powdered mashed potatoes and canned mixed vegetables doused in Texas Pete to complete the plate.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

piL posted:

Once we got "chicken cordon blue" from Malaysia. It felt like the most literalist contractor thing in my life and I'm sure they made them just for us. It was a chicken hot dog, wrapped in bacon and cheese and breaded for frying. Someone absolutely read the Wikipedia article without ever seeing one and then made a case of the things.

:barf:

That sounds like the "corned beef" we got for St. Patrick's Day, which was ground beef with a can of corn dumped into it. The Reagan's supply department left a lot to be desired, though I did appreciate the sheer cheek of that one.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Check out the San Diego Zoo, it's huge and awesome and free for military. The Air and Space Museum is also really cool.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
I Am Not A PS, but you can usually extend a shore tour if you intend to separate prior to the minimum service requirement that another PCS would entail (i.e. they're not going to PCS you just to have you retire six months later). I don't know how far you can press that though, like if you were trying for two more years in your current tour.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

CMD598 posted:

I still don't have a ticket but I do have a memo telling me I'm gonna sit in SeaTac for like 15+hrs.

Just in case anyone wasn't aware:

1. The American Express Platinum card has an annual fee that is fully refundable for active duty service members. You just give them a call after you sign up and tell them the date you joined or something, I forget the exact process, but they refunded mine in like two weeks.

2. AMEX Platinum gets you free access to a whole slew of airport lounges around the country and around the world; there's an official AMEX Centurion lounge in several major airports that's pretty swanky (free food + booze), but you can also sign up for free Priority Pass access as well, which I note has a bunch of lounges in SeaTac. There are a bunch of other bonuses that the card allows access to, but honestly the airport lounge thing is what I use the most.

TL;DR everyone should get Amex Platinum and mooch a bunch of freebies.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
God dammit, not again.

Two Aviators Killed After Super Hornet Crash off Key West

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

mandatory 4 hour parking lot watch in khakis to make sure students didn't park in instructor spaces.

Hahahahahahahahahaha. God drat that place is run by a bunch of chodes.

Not a whole lot to the other two stories.

Birds: four guys decide to go shoot birds on a wildlife preserve. Get busted, spend a bunch of time in disciplinary limbo. I think some got kicked out, but at least one of them eventually classed up and continued. He was stashed at CTW-6 as the watchbill officer while I was going through.

Tests: a 2nd LT (not an ensign this time!) decides to exercise initiative and breaks into the cabinet with the API tests. He ended up confessing a few days later. This happened right as I was leaving, so I don't know all the details of what the reaction was, but I assume it was something stupid.

There was also a guy a few years later who beat up Mickey Mouse. (the article doesn't say if the park employees were in costume but that's how it happened in my head)

quote:

"I've seen plenty of drunk people, being from a small town in Texas, but I've never seen someone so drunk that they would attack someone randomly," Craig told The Sentinel.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Mr. Nice! posted:

frocked on suspended bust that fucks up again. E6-E3 in a heartbeat.

Yeah, we had an AT go from, I think, frocked E-5 to E-2 that way. I liked to put a twist on the old ensign/2nd LT joke and say he had been promoted more times than our CO.

Last I heard he was working at China Lake doing the same job as a contractor for twice the money, so lol if you're still in I guess.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless
Anybody have experience in Norfolk living in Ghent or downtown? Since Norfolk is the heart of Navydom on Earth, I figure the odds are pretty good. I'm moving there this summer and looking at apartments in those areas. Currently leaning towards downtown, there are some nice places available for single O3 bucks. Or O4 bucks, depending how the board goes this month.

e: poms for the pom God

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

The Valley Stared posted:

I had a friend that rented a house in the Ghent area. She'd probably tell you to get a place in Chesapeake if you want to be away from SAILORDOM.

Some people are willing to put up with it to get a big house or nice school, but I would sooner commute on a unicycle every day than have to take a bridge or tunnel to get to work. One guy I know had to take two tunnels, that was sheer insanity.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

And selections complete! Managed to snag one of the P-8 spots! Now I just have to actually finish training and get me wings!

Nice. Enjoy the comfy seats on your mil-spec airliner.

What's the pipeline like these days now that they've got that multi-crew simulator? Are you learning AIC along with the E-2 guys?

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

Everytime P-8s came in for the fleet fly ins, the comfy chairs were the top 5 things people talked about for the P-8s, along with the air conditioning.

Yeah, everyone talks about how nice it is. I really need to try and get a tour if they bring some up to Fallon next month. They usually try to bring some MPRA/ISR guys out for a few events with the air wing.

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Congratulations on getting free training on one of the most popular airliners in the world. :unsmith:

Maybe as a flight attendant. :NFOsmith: (which I guess would be :smith: wearing glasses)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

Jimmy4400nav posted:

I'm not sure if they still have the spigot turned up, but for the past couple of months they've really been working hard to ramp up production over here at VT-4, 10 and 86.

So I don't know how it impacts overall NFO production, but the E-2 pipeline is trying to plus up due to transitioning to the E-2D; E-2D squadrons have one more plane than E-2C and have proportionally more aircrew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

E6 and below? You were late 5 minutes this morning, enjoy 30/30 1/2 and never ever going to OCS.

On the other hand, pistol whip your dumbass LPO and end up going to STA-21, according to one of the stories a mustang buddy of mine tells.