Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Suffer not the lobbyist to live.
Someone mentioned my name so here I am.

I was an EMN1 that got out of the Navy after my extremely fun prototype tour. I was a full-time student and needed medical coverage so right back into the Navy I went.
I did Reserves for 3 years then got bored and went IRR the minute my insurance kicked in for my adult job after college.

Is the reserves a scam the Navy will use to get the last few drops of humanity out of me?
-The Reserves, no offense meant to any USNR people here, feels like a scam that the Reserves plays on the government. I showed up to drill and did homework. I rarely ever did anything productive. I ended up becoming the personal computer repair guy for the unit once they figured out I knew how to do things. I got MPs every year despite not really doing anything.

Will the reserves try to move me out of Norfolk?
-No.

Will it allow me to keep medical insurance?
-You get the same healthcare that a military spouse gets. You don't get sick call

How often can I expect to go underway/deploy?
-Depends on what you do. When I was in, it was competitive to go on deployment. Like, people were fighting for mobilization slots. The thing about the Reserves is that it pays better than what a lot of people's real life jobs are so they want to do it as much as possible. If someone works as a cashier normally but is a BM2, they're going to want to do as much BM2 stuff as possible to make more money.

I am currently an MMN how do they choose my rate?
-Welcome to MM.

Alright, here's my story. I joined the Reserves as a nuke EM1. They put me in a unit that is a cargo handling battalion. I show up and pretty much everyone there works in logistics of some sort handling freight. I'm asked if I know how to drive a forklift or operate a crane. My first AT I go to a school on how to load munitions for UNREP.
Apparently I wasn't fully gained into that unit and have to actually apply for billets. I apply to and am accepted for a SURGEMAIN unit. I continue to drill with my old unit just hanging out. SURGEMAIN doesn't have any slots open for me to do AT during that match with my school schedule.

I end up doing a two week AT to Norfolk shipyards as an EM1 to.... be on call as a firewatch. Keep in mind that I'm a 9 year EMN1 that's most of the way done with an electrical engineering degree. In my 2 weeks in Norfolk, I'm asked to watch 3 total jobs for a total of about 5 hours of sitting on a ship.

The following year, I have decided that SURGEMAIN was dumb and transferred back to my old unit because we'd become friends. Somehow I end up as the ALPO and I just do administrative stuff. I realized that I was not staying in the Reserves so I said I didn't want to do an AT. No one really cared. Once I finished my degree and started grad school while working, sitting at the Reserves center for a weekend was just too much effort so I transferred to IRR and stopped showing up.

Overall, the Reserves was a mildly entertaining way to keep health care and I would consider rejoining because cosplaying every month while chilling with a totally different group of people was alright. My unit had a firefighter, paralegal, bookstore owner, various college students, and a merchant marine sailor in it. It was an interesting collection of people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

It’s not really that bad across the fleet right guys?

Right?

The nuke plants on carriers and subs are littered with piss bottles. Usually people threw out their poo poo baggies though.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Howard Phillips posted:

That's awesome. Yeah I would love to go to SRF-Yoko for AT. Didn't know that SURGEMAIN was a good deal. What kind of support work did you guys do? Were you assigned work on your own or merged with uniformed or civilian maintenance people?

I once got sent to NNSY shipyard for SURGEMAIN AT. They didn't have any work for me to do as an EMN1 because no one was expecting me. I got sent to the firewatch group. The firewatch group didn't have a lot going on so I sat at a picnic table for a few hours a day to see if anyone wanted anything then left.

In the grand scheme of things, it was a pretty decent deal albeit extremely boring.

KetTarma
Jul 25, 2003

Elendil004 posted:

I think KetTarma has a story about getting a call from someone trying to report aboard a few thousand miles off course.

I'm trying to recall this story but I seem to recall someone trying to report to the carrier after we executed a homeport change. Their orders said Bremerton but the ship was in Norfolk. It's just government money at least.

As a C school instructor, lord knows we had some issues with students getting orders. It wasnt uncommon for people to get lost in limbo for months. We had a lot of floor waxing going on, to say the least.